Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

Lead

Aug 2 17 8:31 AM

Tags : :

Mariah's best album ranked #97 in the list of the 150 Best Albums by Women compiled by NPR:

97. Mariah Carey  Daydream (Columbia Records, 1995)

Mariah Carey could have become a glitter-laden version of the '80s pop princess who ruled the decade before, Whitney Houston. Instead, Carey and her six-octave spanning pipes smashed the "Best New Artist" Grammy curse and sashayed off with the rest of the '90s, scoring a No. 1 hit nearly every year that decade. Daydream, released in 1995, was the fifth album into that run. The lead single "Fantasy" is a dreamy party-starter that, in part thanks to a remix featuring Ol' Dirty Bastard, came to define a whole genre of singles that followed its songbird plus gravelly-voiced rapper formula, a la Ja Rule and Ashanti. And on the track "One Sweet Day," all four members of Boyz II Men just barely match Carey's sole star power. Despite being one of her best-selling albums, Daydream was shut out of that year's Grammys (she lost all six categories for which she was nominated). But it proved that Carey had the creative savvy to embrace a new sound, and it established a different template for success than that of her earpiece-and-costumed competitors. Ultimately Carey is still finding her footing as a legacy artist, but she's been too good for too long. At this point, she's only competing with herself. —Audie Cornish (Host, All Things Considered)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#1 [url]

Aug 2 17 10:55 AM

The lead single "Fantasy" is a dreamy party-starter that, in part thanks to a remix featuring Ol' Dirty Bastard, came to define a whole genre of singles that followed its songbird plus gravelly-voiced rapper formula, a la Ja Rule and Ashanti.

TROOF.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#3 [url]

Aug 2 17 12:44 PM

The fact that they have Britney higher than Mariah/Daydream and no Butterfly is just...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

rooney1905

#6 [url]

Aug 2 17 9:38 PM

This album is so good.  I've been listening to Melt Away lately and the vocals just are insane.  I genuinely think in her prime she was the greatest singer we have ever witnessed.  She is like that one friend who is good at every damn thing without seemingly trying all that hard.  I mean the way Melt Away is layered and the vocals both low low low low to epic belts are just crazy.  I have yet to see a tour with a harder song list to sing start to finish.  Daydream is album goals and Butterfly is artistry goals.

Quote    Reply   

vinjer

#8 [url]

Aug 3 17 9:04 AM

rooney1905 wrote:
This album is so good.  I've been listening to Melt Away lately and the vocals just are insane.  I genuinely think in her prime she was the greatest singer we have ever witnessed.  She is like that one friend who is good at every damn thing without seemingly trying all that hard.  I mean the way Melt Away is layered and the vocals both low low low low to epic belts are just crazy.  I have yet to see a tour with a harder song list to sing start to finish.  Daydream is album goals and Butterfly is artistry goals.

Absolutely! No one even begins to come close!

Quote    Reply   

Nike

Posts: 12,158 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#9 [url]

Aug 3 17 9:23 AM

Congrat Daydream. I think it deserve the top 50. This album defines a generation.

And where is Jewel's Pieces of You???

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help