Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jul 18 17 2:11 PM

Ginger1 wrote:
MrsIllmatic wrote:
kittykow105 wrote:
If she really goes into her past and doesn't hold back, this will be a good watch. Starz likes gritty shows. A "Glitter" sequel (while I would love a new Glitter soundtrack lol) will not get picked up.  This show will not be for the fans.  If anything, this sounds like they're trying to ride on the success from "Empire" and "Star." 

A lot fans are over looking that STARZ is picking this up. This won't be glossy a tv show. The fans are going to be shock. Expect sex, violence, and whole lot of cussing.
If it's truly based on Mariah's experiences, I think the sex part would be more tame in comparison to their other shows.

What part of fictional and loosely based off her life are people not understanding. This isn't Mariah life story.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jul 18 17 2:14 PM

mcrespect wrote:
I'm probably going against the flow here but I'm not sure about this. It seems like another bad move. Look what happened with the Michael Jackson biopic. Did that go well? Besides, who would be interested to watch a Mariah biopic? Wasn't "Mariah's World" series enough? Didn't people get their Mariah TV dose? Not feeling this..

Did you read the actual article? It's not a biopic it's not movie.

Quote    Reply   

bigj405

#23 [url]

Jul 18 17 2:17 PM

MrsIllmatic wrote:
Ginger1 wrote:
MrsIllmatic wrote:

A lot fans are over looking that STARZ is picking this up. This won't be glossy a tv show. The fans are going to be shock. Expect sex, violence, and whole lot of cussing.
If it's truly based on Mariah's experiences, I think the sex part would be more tame in comparison to their other shows.

What part of fictional and loosely based off her life are people not understanding. This isn't Mariah life story.

Actually it is.  The show is based on Mariah's life and rise to fame.  The series's is set in 1986 when she is 16.  Of course some things will be sensationalized and of course not true for the sake of the story that they're telling.  But seems to be based on her life.  But def not a biopic.  I don't think they're going to have her accepting the Billboard award for artist of the decade in the first season though.   

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jul 18 17 2:27 PM

bigj405 wrote:
MrsIllmatic wrote:
Ginger1 wrote:

Actually it is.  The show is based on Mariah's life and rise to fame.  The series's is set in 1986 when she is 16.  Of course some things will be sensationalized and of course not true for the sake of the story that they're telling.  But seems to be based on her life.  But def not a biopic.  I don't think they're going to have her accepting the Billboard award for artist of the decade in the first season though.   

It clearly states a fictional drama. Hell the character won't even have her name.

Quote    Reply   

bigj405

#25 [url]

Jul 18 17 3:02 PM

MrsIllmatic wrote:
bigj405 wrote:
MrsIllmatic wrote:

It clearly states a fictional drama. Hell the character won't even have her name.
Correct...."based on the the music superstar’ real-life experiences".

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#26 [url]

Jul 18 17 4:35 PM

Yeah that’s Mariah’s way of producing her life story while she’s still alive all the while not having to own whether or not any part is necessarily true.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

mcrespect

#27 [url]

Jul 18 17 5:03 PM

MrsIllmatic wrote:
mcrespect wrote:
I'm probably going against the flow here but I'm not sure about this. It seems like another bad move. Look what happened with the Michael Jackson biopic. Did that go well? Besides, who would be interested to watch a Mariah biopic? Wasn't "Mariah's World" series enough? Didn't people get their Mariah TV dose? Not feeling this..

Did you read the actual article? It's not a biopic it's not movie.
Yes, I read the article, thank you. I got that..Well, Glitter was supposedly not autobiographical either. Mariah may not be starring in this and all characters might have different names etc. but the fact remains that it will be based on her life (or her real-life experiences, if you prefer it that way) so a comparison is inevitable. Do you have any doubt that people/the media will bring up Glitter? That there will be questions in interviews about it? 

Dunno..I'm all for Mariah trying new ideas, starting different kinds of projects but this sounds like a rehash to me..

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jul 18 17 6:10 PM

I will watch this from start to finish and probably love it, but I bet 99% of the ppl will hate it and it will eventually be cancelled (hopefully it lasts at least a season). The character may not be named Mariah and even if the story ends up being "loosely" based on her life the fact remains that the public in general loves to hate Mariah right now. They will disregard this as another vanity/self-centered project because this has been announced, from the get-go, with her name strongly attached to it. In other words, asides from her Christmas stuff which is always a success (thank God she still has that) and sometimes her beauty related products (which we don't care for anyway), Mariah is currently "entertainment poison", and whether she decides to attach her name to a movie, tv series, comic, soft drink, etc., it will undoubtedly bomb.

I don’t want no cake on my birthday, errday errrday.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jul 18 17 7:12 PM

It doesn't even say if a pilot has been ordered, just development. Let's just see what happens before arguing about the content it may or may not have, it may not get past the pilot or even shoot one at all. 

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jul 18 17 9:45 PM

RE:

mcrespect wrote:

Are you referring to the Jackson 5 biopic done in the 90s cuz that was great. This show is completely different from Mariah's World cuz that was a very camp version of her life that didn't involve much depth, I'm assuming the show will touch on the more serious side of her life growing up. I'm also concerned with how the show will be done. I love the idea of it BUT seeing stellas involvement and her inability to do anything with tact, I worry that her tackiness will spill over. Thankfully, Mariah and other professionals who have experience are involved with the project as well. I hope they take their time with it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jul 19 17 12:13 AM

MIAMTEC wrote:
mcrespect wrote:

Are you referring to the Jackson 5 biopic done in the 90s cuz that was great. This show is completely different from Mariah's World cuz that was a very camp version of her life that didn't involve much depth, I'm assuming the show will touch on the more serious side of her life growing up. I'm also concerned with how the show will be done. I love the idea of it BUT seeing stellas involvement and her inability to do anything with tact, I worry that her tackiness will spill over. Thankfully, Mariah and other professionals who have experience are involved with the project as well. I hope they take their time with it.
I agree but I don't think Stella is the reason of the tackiness. Mariah's World's failure was because of Mariah. And tbh Glitter as well. The story line in glitter was about everyone else but her. the same happened on E! She keeps trying to tell her side of the story but when she has the opportunity it's not about her at all. this show can be different and I always hope so but tbh she needs to let it go a little (maybe a lot lol). Take directions, trust people who are capable of doing their jobs and focus on giving a nice product. all this control is like she is not even there in the end doing the most important part of the gig. 

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jul 19 17 2:06 AM

RE:

collie wrote:
MIAMTEC wrote:
mcrespect wrote:I'm probably going against the flow here but I'm not sure about this. It seems like another bad move. Look what happened with the Michael Jackson biopic. Did that go well? Besides, who would be interested to watch a Mariah biopic? Wasn't "Mariah's World" series enough? Didn't people get their Mariah TV dose? Not feeling this..

I agree but I don't think Stella is the reason of the tackiness. Mariah's World's failure was because of Mariah. And tbh Glitter as well. The story line in glitter was about everyone else but her. the same happened on E! She keeps trying to tell her side of the story but when she has the opportunity it's not about her at all. this show can be different and I always hope so but tbh she needs to let it go a little (maybe a lot lol). Take directions, trust people who are capable of doing their jobs and focus on giving a nice product. all this control is like she is not even there in the end doing the most important part of the gig. 

I do blame Mariah for the ultimate ending of Mariah's World BUT you are saying that she needs to let go and trust people to do their job and that's what she did with Mariah's World. She trusted Stella who has a lot of experience in reality tv and the outcome was less than desired. You can't say she has to trust people when she does and it turns out not the best. Same thing happened with Glitter tbh, that was her first film and the directors/producers couldn't capture the essence of her story and they're supposed to be the professionals here, I mean that movie didn't even have a legit script.
I think the best approach is for Mariah to work with respected people who actually know what they're doing and she needs to take control of her OWN story because no one can tell it better than her. If she has full control of the creative aspects and the narrative, then she'd have no one to blame but herself if the end product wasn't great. But much like her albums, they are at their best when she's telling her story as authentic as possible.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jul 19 17 12:42 PM

MIAMTEC wrote:
collie wrote:
MIAMTEC wrote:

I do blame Mariah for the ultimate ending of Mariah's World BUT you are saying that she needs to let go and trust people to do their job and that's what she did with Mariah's World. She trusted Stella who has a lot of experience in reality tv and the outcome was less than desired. You can't say she has to trust people when she does and it turns out not the best. Same thing happened with Glitter tbh, that was her first film and the directors/producers couldn't capture the essence of her story and they're supposed to be the professionals here, I mean that movie didn't even have a legit script.
I think the best approach is for Mariah to work with respected people who actually know what they're doing and she needs to take control of her OWN story because no one can tell it better than her. If she has full control of the creative aspects and the narrative, then she'd have no one to blame but herself if the end product wasn't great. But much like her albums, they are at their best when she's telling her story as authentic as possible.
Not really, no. The reason Mariah works with the stellas of the world is bc they're the yes people, not bc they're good at their jobs. If you're gonna do reality tv call Mona Scott or someone really big in the industry idk. Just bc Stella is a mess doesn't mean she can produce a reality show. She wasn't even good at her fights compared to a real housewife lol. Mariah has always been known specially for us as someone who employs friends so she is able to do whatever she wants. Her best and most funny side is being shady but that is her worst enemy as well. It's her aries sun lol. Mariah doesn't give straight answers, doesn't share her real life, doesn't acknowledge her enemies existence lol.. so she is not the best person to tell her own story. You have to be able to show all sides, good and bad and Mariah will only show her right side lol. But we have to wait and see how it goes. Even this elusive persona can work with the right team like you said, if they really capture the essence. 

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jul 19 17 2:21 PM

RE:

collie wrote:
MIAMTEC wrote:
collie wrote:MIAMTEC wrote:

I think the best approach is for Mariah to work with respected people who actually know what they're doing and she needs to take control of her OWN story because no one can tell it better than her. If she has full control of the creative aspects and the narrative, then she'd have no one to blame but herself if the end product wasn't great. But much like her albums, they are at their best when she's telling her story as authentic as possible.Not really, no. The reason Mariah works with the stellas of the world is bc they're the yes people, not bc they're good at their jobs. If you're gonna do reality tv call Mona Scott or someone really big in the industry idk. Just bc Stella is a mess doesn't mean she can produce a reality show. She wasn't even good at her fights compared to a real housewife lol. Mariah has always been known specially for us as someone who employs friends so she is able to do whatever she wants. Her best and most funny side is being shady but that is her worst enemy as well. It's her aries sun lol. Mariah doesn't give straight answers, doesn't share her real life, doesn't acknowledge her enemies existence lol.. so she is not the best person to tell her own story. You have to be able to show all sides, good and bad and Mariah will only show her right side lol. But we have to wait and see how it goes. Even this elusive persona can work with the right team like you said, if they really capture the essence. 

There are so many things wrong here lol. Mariah doesn't randomly hire her friends, she hires people who she grows to become best friends, almost like family with. And regardless of who she hires, friend or otherwise, no one can tell her what to do, she's not a child so idk why you're saying she hires friends so she "do what she wants" when she do that anyway.
Second, why on earth would she hire Mona Scott??? That woman created the foolery that is Love & Hip Hop and would completely exploit Mariah so that's a resounding no. I'm not saying Stella does a good job but I was just following your logic.
Third, creating a scripted show/film is completely different from doing interviews where she'd have the freedom to be coy and avoid answering questions, obviously she wouldn't be able to do that and quite frankly, I don't think she'd want to. The whole point I of a show like this is to tell her story so not going deeper would be pointless and she knows this. Interviews are not nuanced enough to do that .

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#37 [url]

Jul 19 17 2:25 PM

The problem is Mariah hires people, and then has a history of keeping the ones who she gets on with the best even if they aren't, or are no longer doing a good job. But you are right though, ultimately, nobody is going to tell Mariah what to do. She does what she wants. Her biggest challenge is having a clear perspective because she is so used to having "Yes men" around her.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

Nike

Posts: 12,158 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#38 [url]

Jul 19 17 2:46 PM

John Mayer tweets this  

John Mayer Retweeted billboard

First I was like "but it won't be a faithful retelling of her life experience" and then I was like "shut up idiot this is gonna be awesome."

John Mayer added,

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jul 19 17 4:07 PM

MIAMTEC wrote:
collie wrote:
MIAMTEC wrote:I agree but I don't think Stella is the reason of the tackiness. Mariah's World's failure was because of Mariah. And tbh Glitter as well. The story line in glitter was about everyone else but her. the same happened on E! She keeps trying to tell her side of the story but when she has the opportunity it's not about her at all. this show can be different and I always hope so but tbh she needs to let it go a little (maybe a lot lol). Take directions, trust people who are capable of doing their jobs and focus on giving a nice product. all this control is like she is not even there in the end doing the most important part of the gig. 

I think the best approach is for Mariah to work with respected people who actually know what they're doing and she needs to take control of her OWN story because no one can tell it better than her. If she has full control of the creative aspects and the narrative, then she'd have no one to blame but herself if the end product wasn't great. But much like her albums, they are at their best when she's telling her story as authentic as possible.Not really, no. The reason Mariah works with the stellas of the world is bc they're the yes people, not bc they're good at their jobs. If you're gonna do reality tv call Mona Scott or someone really big in the industry idk. Just bc Stella is a mess doesn't mean she can produce a reality show. She wasn't even good at her fights compared to a real housewife lol. Mariah has always been known specially for us as someone who employs friends so she is able to do whatever she wants. Her best and most funny side is being shady but that is her worst enemy as well. It's her aries sun lol. Mariah doesn't give straight answers, doesn't share her real life, doesn't acknowledge her enemies existence lol.. so she is not the best person to tell her own story. You have to be able to show all sides, good and bad and Mariah will only show her right side lol. But we have to wait and see how it goes. Even this elusive persona can work with the right team like you said, if they really capture the essence. 

There are so many things wrong here lol. Mariah doesn't randomly hire her friends, she hires people who she grows to become best friends, almost like family with. And regardless of who she hires, friend or otherwise, no one can tell her what to do, she's not a child so idk why you're saying she hires friends so she "do what she wants" when she do that anyway.
Second, why on earth would she hire Mona Scott??? That woman created the foolery that is Love & Hip Hop and would completely exploit Mariah so that's a resounding no. I'm not saying Stella does a good job but I was just following your logic.
Third, creating a scripted show/film is completely different from doing interviews where she'd have the freedom to be coy and avoid answering questions, obviously she wouldn't be able to do that and quite frankly, I don't think she'd want to. The whole point I of a show like this is to tell her story so not going deeper would be pointless and she knows this. Interviews are not nuanced enough to do that .
You're not following my logic, not even for a second but just bc you guys love examples and totally stay on the subject I'm gonna use another one lol. This is from Luc Besson talking about Rihanna on the set of Valerian:

Speaking of which, what’s it like to direct Rihanna?
There’s two parts: before the shooting and during the shooting. She’s one of the biggest stars in the world, so to catch her is a nightmare because, like, you have a meeting with her sometime at 2 a.m., and you’re not the last one; there is another meeting after you. She has to record a song after, and then she has to fly back somewhere. Her life is the life of a superstar, so I was afraid of that a little bit. But every time I saw her, she’s so focused and open, with no ego at all. She’ll say, “Okay, what do you want me to do?” No distance, no, Oh, you can’t film myself from here or this angle. It’s the exact opposite. When we were on the set, the entire entourage stays out of the set. She doesn’t want the entourage. So that was a pure pleasure. And it’s not so easy, what she has to do.

That's my logic and your logic too. Just bc you're a star it doesn't mean you have to do whatever you want and control everything. That's my only point. I'm not trying to hire anyone lol

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jul 19 17 4:26 PM

RE:

collie wrote:
MIAMTEC wrote:
collie wrote:MIAMTEC wrote:I agree but I don't think Stella is the reason of the tackiness. Mariah's World's failure was because of Mariah. And tbh Glitter as well. The story line in glitter was about everyone else but her. the same happened on E! She keeps trying to tell her side of the story but when she has the opportunity it's not about her at all. this show can be different and I always hope so but tbh she needs to let it go a little (maybe a lot lol). Take directions, trust people who are capable of doing their jobs and focus on giving a nice product. all this control is like she is not even there in the end doing the most important part of the gig. 

Third, creating a scripted show/film is completely different from doing interviews where she'd have the freedom to be coy and avoid answering questions, obviously she wouldn't be able to do that and quite frankly, I don't think she'd want to. The whole point I of a show like this is to tell her story so not going deeper would be pointless and she knows this. Interviews are not nuanced enough to do that .You're not following my logic, not even for a second but just bc you guys love examples and totally stay on the subject I'm gonna use another one lol. This is from Luc Besson talking about Rihanna on the set of Valerian:

Speaking of which, what’s it like to direct Rihanna?
There’s two parts: before the shooting and during the shooting. She’s one of the biggest stars in the world, so to catch her is a nightmare because, like, you have a meeting with her sometime at 2 a.m., and you’re not the last one; there is another meeting after you. She has to record a song after, and then she has to fly back somewhere. Her life is the life of a superstar, so I was afraid of that a little bit. But every time I saw her, she’s so focused and open, with no ego at all. She’ll say, “Okay, what do you want me to do?” No distance, no, Oh, you can’t film myself from here or this angle. It’s the exact opposite. When we were on the set, the entire entourage stays out of the set. She doesn’t want the entourage. So that was a pure pleasure. And it’s not so easy, what she has to do.

That's my logic and your logic too. Just bc you're a star it doesn't mean you have to do whatever you want and control everything. That's my only point. I'm not trying to hire anyone lol

So where were you when Mariah did Precious and complied with any and everything Lee Daniels asked of her including making her look completely different, talking with a different accent, and totally accepting the role? Same with Empire, that Andy Samberg movie. All different genres and all referred to her as a total professional, who was "a pleasure to work with". Idk what giving this rihanna example is supposed to do lol everything you just said already applies to Mariah. She's never had her encourage interrupt a set, just because of this latest Will Ferrell drama who is using her name to promote his film, yall wanna act like she's somehow unprofessional. Perhaps Will and Co. shouldn't have altered the script and ask Mariah to be shot dead in the movie while still playing herself.
It's kinda wild to me how low so many lambs think of Mariah and anyone who sees her perspective is just a "yes man". It doesn't make any sense.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help