Remove this ad

bigj405

Chillin' at FOMM

Lead

Jul 17 17 7:13 PM

Tags : :

http://deadline.com/2017/07/mariah-carey-drama-series-starz-brett-ratner-1202130423/

EXCLUSIVE The story of Mariah Carey’s rise to fame is getting a drama series treatment. We have learned that Starz is developing an untitled fictional scripted drama series based on the the music superstar’ real-life experiences, with Carey executive producing alongside long-time friend Brett Ratner.

Written by Nina Colman (Mahogany), the drama is set in 1986 New York City and chronicles the rise of an ambitious  bi-racial 16-year-old girl, an aspiring singer/songwriter who survived a difficult childhood to become the biggest selling female music artist of all time.

Colman, who will serve as showrunner, executive produces alongside Carey and Stella 

Last Edited By: bigj405 Jul 17 17 7:15 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jul 17 17 8:05 PM

Yeah, IF done right, it could be fantastic. I would have liked to see it set a little further back in her life but maybe they can acknowledge that in flashbacks.

Last Edited By: ShayneFly Jul 17 17 8:10 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Migrate90

#4 [url]

Jul 17 17 10:24 PM

^ Agreed. Right now all I can think of is Glitter: The Series.  However, it could go the other way and be a pretty solid project. 

I hope they get a good cast and not nobodies. There was a blind item recently about this that said "the permanent A List singer" insisted on playing herself... for the past 20 years of her life. LOL

Either way, I'm oddly excited for this! So long as it's music related, and knowing it is about Mariah's story it should, in theory, have a lot to do with music, unlike Mariah's World which was... smiley: indifferent

Also, I wonder what happened to her other project with New Line, the original film based on her Christmas albums? I hope that's moving forward too.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 17 17 10:32 PM

it sounds exactly like glitter! lol

but tbh they should focus on the 90's. besides glitter, she never had an 80's sound. even her covers don't match the 80's vibe but that is a great idea and with the right team it can give justice to her legacy. My dream would be a show about her departure from Sony, already a legacy fighting racism and sexism in a very festive way, post butterfly when she was empowered enough to be herself.

Quote    Reply   

bigj405

#8 [url]

Jul 18 17 2:14 AM

Actually according to the article it has already been written. Has funding, backing and a network that is announcing it is putting it out. So yes this will In Fact see the light of day.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#10 [url]

Jul 18 17 4:01 AM

No one is going to be interested in this kind of thing until she's retired or her time has passed I'm afraid. Stop with the silly side projects Mariah and get that damn album together

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#11 [url]

Jul 18 17 5:05 AM

Does anyone think the timing of this show about Mariah's life is quite interesting? Like, she has been very quiet about it, but now her brother and sister have sold her out multiple times and started talking to the press, it wouldn't surprise me if this is her way of telling her side of the story.

She kept quiet and vague for their sakes but maybe she just doesn't care anymore after they've stabbed her in the back so much recently.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

Ginger1.vivamariah19436

#12 [url]

Jul 18 17 5:08 AM

If it's set in 1986 about a up and coming 16 year old, why is that singer becoming the biggest selling blah blah blah even part of the story line? Sounds like the show will span decades in it's first season. They should cut out that part, and keep it amateur or it'll just be another Sparkle or Star.

A show set in the 80s is really popular right now, Stranger Things, Glow, The Americans, Snowfall. The first three are excellent and had the right balance of 80s nostalgia. That'll be the hard part.

Quote    Reply   

kittykow105

#13 [url]

Jul 18 17 10:18 AM

If she really goes into her past and doesn't hold back, this will be a good watch. Starz likes gritty shows. A "Glitter" sequel (while I would love a new Glitter soundtrack lol) will not get picked up.  This show will not be for the fans.  If anything, this sounds like they're trying to ride on the success from "Empire" and "Star." 

Last Edited By: kittykow105 Jul 18 17 10:23 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jul 18 17 11:10 AM

kittykow105 wrote:
If she really goes into her past and doesn't hold back, this will be a good watch. Starz likes gritty shows. A "Glitter" sequel (while I would love a new Glitter soundtrack lol) will not get picked up.  This show will not be for the fans.  If anything, this sounds like they're trying to ride on the success from "Empire" and "Star." 

A lot fans are over looking that STARZ is picking this up. This won't be glossy a tv show. The fans are going to be shock. Expect sex, violence, and whole lot of cussing.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jul 18 17 12:21 PM

Kevon wrote:
Does anyone think the timing of this show about Mariah's life is quite interesting? Like, she has been very quiet about it, but now her brother and sister have sold her out multiple times and started talking to the press, it wouldn't surprise me if this is her way of telling her side of the story.

She kept quiet and vague for their sakes but maybe she just doesn't care anymore after they've stabbed her in the back so much recently.

Well, if there is a scene in the first episode where the 16 year olds older crackhead sister shows up then we will know that MC gives no fux. smiley: laugh

She has always sort of hinted that a lot was going on around her back then.  I can't imagine what that must have been like being that young going to school by day then heading to studios at night and whatever else she was doing.  Her determination is why we are all here even discussing this.  Granted having a voice like that probably helped, but there are a lot of folks out there who never made it in spite of having an amazing talent.  

I'm here for it, hope it's decent.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jul 18 17 12:52 PM

I just can't imagine her going into the real, raw detail of her life while her other family members (and her) are alive. I have no doubt that the real story of Mariah Carey is an absolutely fascinating one, but the last thing we need is another watered-down version of it. Could be awesome if done right, though (and, yes, Starz is putting out great stuff these days).

I saw some people saying Zendaya would be perfect for the role -- but, tbh, how could anyone replicate Mariah's vocals? Do you think they'd use her real songs?

Quote    Reply   

Ginger1.vivamariah19436

#18 [url]

Jul 18 17 12:54 PM

MrsIllmatic wrote:
kittykow105 wrote:

A lot fans are over looking that STARZ is picking this up. This won't be glossy a tv show. The fans are going to be shock. Expect sex, violence, and whole lot of cussing.
If it's truly based on Mariah's experiences, I think the sex part would be more tame in comparison to their other shows.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jul 18 17 1:13 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I just can't imagine her going into the real, raw detail of her life while her other family members (and her) are alive. I have no doubt that the real story of Mariah Carey is an absolutely fascinating one, but the last thing we need is another watered-down version of it. Could be awesome if done right, though (and, yes, Starz is putting out great stuff these days).

I saw some people saying Zendaya would be perfect for the role -- but, tbh, how could anyone replicate Mariah's vocals? Do you think they'd use her real songs?

American Gods gave me life. I don't watch Power but I know it's a hit. And I'm sure Mariah will use her own vocals lol. Zendaya is great but they'll probably go for a new actress. 

Quote    Reply   

mcrespect

#20 [url]

Jul 18 17 1:38 PM

I'm probably going against the flow here but I'm not sure about this. It seems like another bad move. Look what happened with the Michael Jackson biopic. Did that go well? Besides, who would be interested to watch a Mariah biopic? Wasn't "Mariah's World" series enough? Didn't people get their Mariah TV dose? Not feeling this..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help