Remove this ad

Migrate90

Mimi's Bodyguard

Lead

Jul 8 17 8:04 PM

Tags : :

Usually, I tend to listen to every new Mariah record a lot when it's fresh, but my love for it wanes over time. Or in E=MC²'s case pretty quickly. Sure, I might play a couple of tracks but the whole thing beginning to end not so frequently.

However, that's not the case with MIAM. I noticed that since its release I still listen to this album regularly and, if not top to bottom, usually only skipping one or two songs tops; in fact, since its release three years ago, it has barely left my weekly top 10 most listened to albums (per last.fm).

I still love this record so so much. It's definitely a Mariah Carey classic in my book, I can safely say by now. There are so many terrific songs (#B, "Cry." YDKWTD, "Meteorite," "Dedicated," "Make It Look Good," "Faded," "You're Mine," "Supernatural") that I consider stone cold gems. As a collection of songs it's definitely stronger than E=MC² and Memoirs for me, and even better than TEOM as well as Charmbracelet. And Rainbow and Glitter. smiley: laugh Up there with Butterfly I'd say. I just stan for this record!! smiley: happy

Do you still love MIAM? I remember us all, well the majority, raving about it and being so content with what Mariah had put together and released after such a long wait. I'm asking because it's her last album for the time being and your feelings might have changed since 2014...

(Disclaimer: not an appreciation thread per se. lol)
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 8 17 9:39 PM

I still absolutely love this album. It's more or less tied with TEOM for me, though I think I'd actually give the edge to MIAM because of the fantastic uptempos (YDKWTD, Meteorite, and I'd even consider #B uptempo). TEOM was lacking those great uptempos for me.

I still listen to those songs quite a bit, Cry and Camouflage when I'm in the mood, and Heavenly too. The Bruno Mars mashups with You're Mine even made me go back and appreciate that song a lot more.

Solid album top to bottom with a bunch of great songs. Lots of variety in the vocals (even if some parts sound a bit altered).

It will be hard to top for her next album IMO.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 9 17 1:41 AM

I wouldn't say it's as good as TEOM, but i enjoy it much more than CB and Memoirs. It's a solid album. I enjoy it on an E=MC2 level. Wish it had been promoted more and had more singles released.

Quote    Reply   

mcrespect

#3 [url]

Jul 9 17 2:24 AM

I don't personally. I may listen to a couple of songs every now and then, my favorite ones, Cry, "#Beautiful", Thirsty, One More Try, but that's it. Now that I think about it, the only albums that I can listen from start to finish are mostly the old ones from the 90s and Memoirs.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 9 17 10:11 AM

I still listen to this in its entirity. I think it has held up well, and there is enough of a balance between uptempo, midtempo grooves, ballads and introspective moments to make it an interesting listen. As much as I love Butterfly for example, I find it hard going to listen from start to finish.

Quote    Reply   

Nike

Posts: 12,158 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#5 [url]

Jul 9 17 11:14 AM

I still love this album, but my love to this record is a bittersweet one. It is somewhat difficult for me to listen the album from start to finish today. I don't know, I feel this album is quite sad in tone. Maybe just me.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jul 9 17 8:53 PM

Vincent wrote:
I agree with you 100%. For me, it's Butterfly, followed by MIAM.

Totally agree, this album is solid and I listen to it every day.  For me also #2 to Butterfly.  I particularly love Dedicated, Faded, and Make It Look Good--- but the whole album is terrific, IMO

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 9 17 9:12 PM

Me. I Am Mariah is a staple to me, easily her best work. It's just such a cohesive body of work and an embodiment of who she is as an artist. I just love it

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Jul 10 17 3:26 AM

Faded/dedicated/#b are still on my playlists. I still love the album bc you can't deny the effort but I don't even know the last time I heard it from start to finish. I totally get the delays now. she was not ready to talk about the divorce bc they were still working on their marriage so like the worst timing ever. At the same time It's sad and its all about the end of their relationship. she needed time to define her emotions and heal. She was hiding the world how devastated she was at the time. It was all about Nick but she sold that nonsense about her childhood etc. Did anyone really buy that story? I know that she wanted to give the fans some hope or even herself but it didn't sound genuine. She can't really say it's about Nick. WHY??? You're Mariah Carey, remember? lol If you just read the song titles you can basically describe the entire situation they were having. She was savage with that order. That was the Lemonade before the Lemonade. The real problem for me is that I get depressed when I listen to this record mostly bc there is no happy ending, no hope, the festiveness is completely gone there bc she didn't get the time to get over him and it shows on the record. It just needed more time to be released properly. Imagine being released now with "I Don't" attitude, that's all.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#14 [url]

Jul 11 17 8:28 AM

Can absolutely return to it, its very much in my Top 5 and it alway rewards a full play through as its such a brilliant body of work. It's such a shame this album will remain such a forgotten gem as it really was Mariah back on form as a creative force / songwriter / storyteller and there's something for everyone to enjoy.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#15 [url]

Jul 11 17 8:30 AM

MIAMTEC wrote:
It's just such a cohesive body of work and an embodiment of who she is as an artist. 

So true. MIAM really feels like such a "pure" Mariah Carey album. 

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jul 12 17 2:36 PM

I never listen to any of Mariah's albums start to finish. Having said that, these songs are still on my playlists way more than those on Memoirs or E=MC2. I can't believe it's been three years since it was released; it feels more like one. Random question... why do we think she added the period to "Cry." ???

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#19 [url]

Jul 13 17 9:11 AM

Maybe to make it more of a statement. Might just be to be unusual. Like how she added a hastag to #Beautiful. Both pretty popular words so she wants the song to stand out. We know she added the # to B so that it wasn't confused with the Floptina song by the same name

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

mcrespect

#20 [url]

Jul 13 17 10:50 AM

^We know that? How so? Did she say sth about it?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help