Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 2 17 6:52 PM

Tags : :

I was just listening to this recently and noticed how it contains almost all of the different types of remixes Mariah has done throughout her career.

1) Resung remixes containing melodies that are totally different from the album version: Steve J. Remix / Pure Imagination (Damizza Reemix). Mariah gave us not one, but TWO resung remixes! These are in the vein of "TGIFY (Make It Last)" and "My All (Stay Awhile)", and usually sample other songs.

2) Resung club mixes: The Morales' Classic Club Mix, featuring Mariah adlibing freely over a dance track (a signature that defined her specially in her work with David Morales).

3) Dub Mixes: The Kings Mix. These type of remixes contain excerpts of Mariah's vocals and adlibs, usually altered and employed as part of the instrumental and beat. The melodic progressions are even more "freestlye" than the ones found on regular club mixes which usually try to be more reminiscent of the original song's melody.

I think the only types of Mariah remixes missing on this EP are: 1) Remixes that replicate Mariah's vocals from the original version over a different beat (i.e. Dreamlover's Club Joint Mix), 2) Remixes with incorporated or extended raps (Breakdown's "Mo Thugs Remix", "I Don't" Remix), and 3) Resung remixes that follow (relatively closely) the melody of the original version (i.e. ABMB "Mr. Dupri" mixes).

Do you agree? Do you think there's another body of work that is a better example of Mariah's versatility as a remixer?

I don’t want no cake on my birthday, errday errrday.

Last Edited By: Hakeem Jun 2 17 6:57 PM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 2 17 7:32 PM

I was just listening to the (Kings Mix) and (Pure Imagination) yesterday thinking the same thing!The Kings Mix is hands down one of my favorite Mariah Dance Remixes ever, it should have become a club classic because even to this day it sounds fresh. I also love that on every track of "I Still Believe" it's such a real raw emotion vocal performance even with all the production of the many remixes her vocals shine though. I wish the official uploads of these remixes had higher views on Youtube so take a listen below to these underrated Jems. I feel like the "Heartbreaker" Maxi-Single was just as good that Dance Remix is one of her beat to date.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 3 17 12:36 PM

Oddly enough, I have also been having an ISB moment lately. My brother and I made a playlist of all of mariah's resung hip-hop/rnb remixes for a car ride last weekend. It was exciting to have two ISB remixes back to back that are totally different.

I don't know of another single that has a more diverse collection of remixes. But the heartbreaker remixes are certainly great. I have also been having a Say Something remix moment. I never loved the hip-hop remix...UNTIL NOW.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 3 17 12:49 PM

Mariah had two different resung remixes for ABMB, AYNAF, HB and Honey.... along with all the other examples of remixes you mentioned. So I don't see how ISB is unique in that aspect, but it is definitely one of her most worked singles.

I will say regarding the ISB remixes that this is the only time she did it for a COVER. It's pretty impressive how she re-wrote remixes of a song that wasn't hers in the first place. I wonder what the original songwriters thought of the remixes.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 3 17 2:52 PM

CoryCoolDangerous wrote:
Mariah had two different resung remixes for ABMB, AYNAF, HB and Honey.... along with all the other examples of remixes you mentioned. So I don't see how ISB is unique in that aspect, but it is definitely one of her most worked singles.

I will say regarding the ISB remixes that this is the only time she did it for a COVER. It's pretty impressive how she re-wrote remixes of a song that wasn't hers in the first place. I wonder what the original songwriters thought of the remixes.

What I think is unique in this case (and maybe I didn't clearly stated on my original post) is that there are two totally different urban resung remixes of ISB. Of course there are a lot of other singles featuring just one resung urban mix and a bunch of resung club mixes.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 3 17 2:55 PM

weissmr wrote:
Oddly enough, I have also been having an ISB moment lately. My brother and I made a playlist of all of mariah's resung hip-hop/rnb remixes for a car ride last weekend. It was exciting to have two ISB remixes back to back that are totally different.

I don't know of another single that has a more diverse collection of remixes. But the heartbreaker remixes are certainly great. I have also been having a Say Something remix moment. I never loved the hip-hop remix...UNTIL NOW. smile.gif
I love SS remix as well! And speaking of the more obscure urban resung mixes, I also enjoy The One Remix a lot. I just wish Mariah would go back to being the remix queen, I mean she doesn't seem to care that much about mainstream success anymore and she has insisted in remaining an R&B artist so I don't why not.

Quote    Reply   

rooney1905

#7 [url]

Jun 4 17 10:46 AM

Hakeem wrote:
weissmr wrote:

I don't know of another single that has a more diverse collection of remixes. But the heartbreaker remixes are certainly great. I have also been having a Say Something remix moment. I never loved the hip-hop remix...UNTIL NOW. smile.gif
I love SS remix as well! And speaking of the more obscure urban resung mixes, I also enjoy The One Remix a lot. I just wish Mariah would go back to being the remix queen, I mean she doesn't seem to care that much about mainstream success anymore and she has insisted in remaining an R&B artist so I don't why not.

Yea I wish she went back to being the remix queen as well.  I think a big part of it is financial and artistic.  Artists have a hard time making a lot of money from records these days and to throw in high charging producers like they used to do just doesn't make financial sense.  I could see her doing a song and then the remix with the same producer most likely.  I also think it depends on how much they are feeling the song.  Look at #B.  It got a few remixes and I think the label really thought it was a strong single (it was).  These days it seems like remixes are commissioned after they feel the song is a hit whereas before during the 90s they could pretty much guarantee a Mariah lead single was going to be an event.  The artistic side is that Mariah makes music she wants to make.  She doesn't have to do poppy lead singles as a bargaining chip to be able to do her R&B remixed songs.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 4 17 3:47 PM

When I was making the aforementioned playlist I realized that the #B remix (the one with Jeezy) has a different vocal from the original song. It doesnt exactly seem to be a resung vocal - perhaps an alternat take? "I like when you run red lights. Dont stop 'til you thrill me. always in control. How you do it I dont know but I dont care take me anywhere" I guess I never payed much attention to it because I figured it just had a rap inserted in there. 

I think a big part of mariah being the queen of #1s was those remixes. She was hitting various formats in a really calculated way on radio. SMART SMART SMART. And as fans, we have a catalogue unlike any other artist. I think it was also a way for MC to do what she really wanted to do - go urban. 

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jun 5 17 11:03 AM

rooney1905 wrote:
Hakeem wrote:
weissmr wrote:

Yea I wish she went back to being the remix queen as well.  I think a big part of it is financial and artistic.  Artists have a hard time making a lot of money from records these days and to throw in high charging producers like they used to do just doesn't make financial sense.  I could see her doing a song and then the remix with the same producer most likely.  I also think it depends on how much they are feeling the song.  Look at #B.  It got a few remixes and I think the label really thought it was a strong single (it was).  These days it seems like remixes are commissioned after they feel the song is a hit whereas before during the 90s they could pretty much guarantee a Mariah lead single was going to be an event.  The artistic side is that Mariah makes music she wants to make.  She doesn't have to do poppy lead singles as a bargaining chip to be able to do her R&B remixed songs.

Totally agree, it's true that in A LOT of cases during the 90's Mariah seemed to be more invested in the urban remix than in the actual pop single (i.e. Fantasy Remix, TGIFY Make It Last). Now that she can release whatever she wants she just doesn't need the remix I guess (plus the economic arguments is also valid...sigh I really miss the physical singles industry from the 90s).

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 5 17 1:43 PM

I think the best example is actually the "Heartbreaker" maxi because each version was a big hit within their own genre and she was so smart about each one in so many ways. It's a damn shame "HB/IYSEBL" was blocked from #1 on the dance charts.

I loved ISB and walked in a snowstorm with a fever to buy it, but the Heartbreaker Maxi has it all - original, urban remix AND dance remix each both fan favorites AND radio/club favorites.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#11 [url]

Jun 5 17 2:09 PM

She basically made an album out of completely reinventing one song - KWEEN

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#12 [url]

Jun 9 17 5:09 PM

XanderAnthony wrote:
Yeah, what makes this single unique is that there are 4 completely different re-sung mixes. 2 completely different urban mixes, 2 completely different dance mixes. She really went all out.

She really was just smashing it around this time period. 98 - 99 was just golden for the levels Mariah went to with remixes. The dedication, imagination and commitment took my breath away with every single back then.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#13 [url]

Jun 9 17 8:29 PM

ISB's remixes are flawless indeed, as well are the remixes of "Heartbreaker." I wish the Divas Live Heartbreaker/Love Hangover was included on a single or something official from Mariah... if so then you could include that as a 2nd resung R&B remix.

Quote    Reply   

CoCoLambMC

Hit me with your best shot!

#14 [url]

Jun 10 17 12:20 AM

Vincent wrote:
ISB's remixes are flawless indeed, as well are the remixes of "Heartbreaker." I wish the Divas Live Heartbreaker/Love Hangover was included on a single or something official from Mariah... if so then you could include that as a 2nd resung R&B remix.
Do you mean besides that it was one one of the CTTA/Crybaby singles? More like an actual studio version?

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#15 [url]

Jun 10 17 4:28 AM

weissmr wrote:
When I was making the aforementioned playlist I realized that the #B remix (the one with Jeezy) has a different vocal from the original song. It doesnt exactly seem to be a resung vocal - perhaps an alternat take? "I like when you run red lights. Dont stop 'til you thrill me. always in control. How you do it I dont know but I dont care take me anywhere" I guess I never payed much attention to it because I figured it just had a rap inserted in there. 

I think a big part of mariah being the queen of #1s was those remixes. She was hitting various formats in a really calculated way on radio. SMART SMART SMART. And as fans, we have a catalogue unlike any other artist. I think it was also a way for MC to do what she really wanted to do - go urban. 

I think it was a 'combo platter' moment where she added in some new vocals, but not a complete re-record

Yeah her way with the remixes was great, but she scaled that back after people started releasing completely different songs under the same title to get a hit and the charts clamped down on it (thanks Jlo) smiley: eyes

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jun 10 17 1:14 PM

Kevon wrote:
weissmr wrote:

I think it was a 'combo platter' moment where she added in some new vocals, but not a complete re-record

Yeah her way with the remixes was great, but she scaled that back after people started releasing completely different songs under the same title to get a hit and the charts clamped down on it (thanks Jlo) smiley: eyes

True, Mariah's motivation to make urban remixes (being fulfilled as an R&B artist) during her more poppy days was totally different from Jlo's (just wanting a hit with no passion for the actual music). And it really sucks that the Murder Remix of "I'm Real" being boosted on the Hot 100 by the album version was the cause for Billboard to establish the "same melody" rule. I'm still conflicted up to this day with that rule change, was it really fair? I guess today it is, the Hot100 is viewed more as a "songs chart" instead of a singles chart like how it was viewed back when physical cd maxis where still being released. I think back then it was fair for a pop version and its urban remix to be counted together (even if the latter had a total different melody) to tally up its position in the Hot 100, as they where all part of the same vision, concept and cohesive body of work (the maxi-cd), kinda like how the "Top 200 Albums" chart works now.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#17 [url]

Jun 10 17 3:02 PM

CoCoLambMC wrote:
Vincent wrote:ISB's remixes are flawless indeed, as well are the remixes of "Heartbreaker." I wish the Divas Live Heartbreaker/Love Hangover was included on a single or something official from Mariah... if so then you could include that as a 2nd resung R&B remix.
Do you mean besides that it was one one of the CTTA/Crybaby singles? More like an actual studio version?

Was it? I didn't know that... but I meant like, on a HB single. Or yeah, a studio version, though I love the energy of the live one, so maybe not.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

CoCoLambMC

Hit me with your best shot!

#18 [url]

Jun 11 17 5:45 AM

Vincent wrote:
CoCoLambMC wrote:
Vincent wrote:ISB's remixes are flawless indeed, as well are the remixes of "Heartbreaker." I wish the Divas Live Heartbreaker/Love Hangover was included on a single or something official from Mariah... if so then you could include that as a 2nd resung R&B remix.
Do you mean besides that it was one one of the CTTA/Crybaby singles? laugh.gif More like an actual studio version?

Was it? I didn't know that... but I meant like, on a HB single. Or yeah, a studio version, though I love the energy of the live one, so maybe not.
Yeah! That was the next single release after she performed it, so it was included on the standard edition of the single (not the maxi-single). Most of the audience was edited out anyway so it's pretty close to a studio version.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#19 [url]

Jun 13 17 5:37 AM

Yeah I remember buying the CTTA single that had HB/LH on it. It was the one with the La La Land cd cover

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help