Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

'Showing receipts and offering seats'

Lead

May 5 17 4:46 AM

Tags : :

Mariah's covers have generally always been focused on her voice, in the production and the 'vibe' of the song, she tends not to tamper with it too much and stays pretty true to the original.

BOTH however I thought was a pretty big departure from the original which is an in your face 80s power ballad, whereas Mariah's version is much more soft and subtle with different instrumentation. The production is really lush. The only let down for me was too much reliance on whispery vocals which kind of got lost towards the start of the song (particularly the first chorus). They somewhat rectified that with the mainstream version where she added some more full vocals to the second chorus.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

#1 [url]

May 5 17 1:00 PM

The mainstream version is better. 

Creative as a cover, however, I don't know.. the production certainly strays a bit from the original and it's a change for her in this sense. I guess that could be considered creative, yes. 

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 5 17 1:05 PM

This would have been one of my favorite covers from her if she had re-done it with mostly full vocals. Whisper sounds good up until the first pre-chorus-- then she needed to switch it up.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#4 [url]

May 5 17 6:56 PM

They did the best they could with the mumbles they were given.

I prefer the version I posted just for the fuller vocals on the second chorus, I remember hearing that and thinking "Oh it will be a hit now!"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Nike

Posts: 12,153 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#5 [url]

May 6 17 12:59 PM

I remembered last week I listened Charmbracelet from start to finish, and fell asleep during track 6 I guess, then was awaken by the high note final verse of BOTH lol

I love she doing remake like that, totally different from the original and bring some of her own characters on it.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#6 [url]

May 10 17 3:26 PM

This is actually my favourite cover of Mariah's. Yes, she's had some underrated blinders like the beautifully sung Open Arms or the often forgotten Beautiful Ones epic but BOTH really does it for me even with the poor vocals. The way that Mariah took a song and changed it up was a more creative (and very Mariah) approach. This is also her last great cover in my eyes.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#7 [url]

May 10 17 3:43 PM

^Yeah I think it is definitely up there with TBO as one of her best covers - my only gripe about TBO is that it should have been a solo song, or at least they should have muzzled Sisqo a little bit, I like the way they play off each other at the end but his vocals were just too damn much

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help