Remove this ad

#101 [url]

Aug 10 17 10:38 PM

When I started hearing murmurs from people that "Despacito" was looking to break the record I was thinking we were a lot closer, like at week #15 or whatever. But I check FOMM and we still have a month to go

That said, whether it's "Despacito" or not, this record's days have been numbered ever since Billboard established the current streaming rules to the Hot 100. I know at least "Gangnam Style" would have already done it if it was running under the current criteria.  Times change, records are made to be broken, Mariah and Boyz II Men have held this one for more than 20 years, it's all good.  If it happens I think it'd be pretty cool if Mariah made some public appearance congratulating Luis Fonsi (I had to google the artist lol).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#102 [url]

Aug 11 17 4:18 AM

^It's true, we have so many "near misses" just in the past couple of years alone, it was going to happen sooner or later. Whatever way you look at it it was an impressive record that as you said has been going strong for 20 years. If this is its time then so be it, we can let go and start focusing on stopping Rihanna from overtaking the #1s record

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

mcrespect

#103 [url]

Aug 11 17 4:31 AM

ADeadlyCombination wrote:
When I started hearing murmurs from people that "Despacito" was looking to break the record I was thinking we were a lot closer, like at week #15 or whatever. But I check FOMM and we still have a month to go laugh.gif

That said, whether it's "Despacito" or not, this record's days have been numbered ever since Billboard established the current streaming rules to the Hot 100. I know at least "Gangnam Style" would have already done it if it was running under the current criteria.  Times change, records are made to be broken, Mariah and Boyz II Men have held this one for more than 20 years, it's all good.  If it happens I think it'd be pretty cool if Mariah made some public appearance congratulating Luis Fonsi (I had to google the artist lol).

Yeah..I totally agree! 

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#104 [url]

Aug 11 17 5:29 AM

P!nk putting the fear of GOD into Fonsi. #1 on iTunes now!

Yesterday "Despacito" lost almost a million impressions and it's still slowing down in streaming.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#105 [url]

Aug 11 17 6:48 AM

ADeadlyCombination wrote:

That said, whether it's "Despacito" or not, this record's days have been numbered ever since Billboard established the current streaming rules to the Hot 100. I know at least "Gangnam Style" would have already done it if it was running under the current criteria.  Times change, records are made to be broken, Mariah and Boyz II Men have held this one for more than 20 years, it's all good.  

So true. I've accepted it will happen eventually, its almost inevitable and as you say, 20 years is a bloody good run to hold a record. My only gripe is I wish it was a better song but hey, I'm not going anymore and I can't dictate what the general public should like. 

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#106 [url]

Aug 11 17 6:50 AM

mcfan wrote:

Yesterday "Despacito" lost almost a million impressions and it's still slowing down in streaming.

Right but how many times a day are you streaming it? I need daily updates. I don't care if you're studying or other trivial matters like eating or sleeping.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#107 [url]

Aug 11 17 7:31 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

Right but how many times a day are you streaming it? I need daily updates. I don't care if you're studying or other trivial matters like eating or sleeping.

My team is streaming French Montana 24/7

Quote    Reply   

breakbreakdown

#108 [url]

Aug 11 17 7:53 AM

Every song that has reached 13 or 14 weeks has had this kind of path. The less we expect, Despacito will be another 14week #1 song and it will be lost among the list of songs who did it. I just wished American Idol weren't that popular back then, or else WBT would stand out as the second song with 15 weeks at number one :-(

Quote    Reply   

#109 [url]

But wait, isn't "Despacito" already on his 14th week? That's half a month to tie OSD not a month. P!nk you better come through with that #1 debut! If not we are really gonna need Taylor to get her ass out of court and release something.

I don’t want no cake on my birthday, errday errrday.

Quote    Reply   

kittykow105

#110 [url]

It would be great if Pink had a music video to help with streams. I doubt she'll debut #1, but I would hope that radio would jump on this. We'll see. I'm pessimistic.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#111 [url]

my understanding is the difference to last time is despite slowing down there is no real competition this time.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#112 [url]

The original "Despacito" is discounted on iTunes. Thankfully, P!nk still has a nice lead over the original and is still #1 combined.

Today "Despacito" lost 1.5 million impressions. "Wild Thoughts" is discounted as well.

Quote    Reply   

#113 [url]

Wow, looks like Luis Fonsi really wants to take that record (how long has it been discounted?). Glad DJ Khaled is discounting his as well.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#114 [url]

Hakeem wrote:
Wow, looks like Luis Fonsi really wants to take that record (how long has it been discounted?). Glad DJ Khaled is discounting his as well.
Both are discounted since today. 

And btw if DJ Khaled is #1 so is Rihaha

Quote    Reply   

#115 [url]

mcfan wrote:
Hakeem wrote:
Both are discounted since today. 

And btw if DJ Khaled is #1 so is Rihaha indifferent.gif

I know but, the less of evils right? She still would have 3 #1's to go (just to tie Mariah) and no Queen record would be immediately broken. smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

#116 [url]

He seems to know about Mariah's record and wants to break it... He will do whatever to do so. He will be a one-hit-wonder anyway ;D;D;D Hope he falls before the 16th week.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#117 [url]

The Most #1s by a Female is the most important/prestigious by far, so I'd rather have Rihanna not have another number one. The OSD record isn't nearly as important imo.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#118 [url]

BeyondIdolization wrote:
The Most #1s by a Female is the most important/prestigious by far, so I'd rather have Rihanna not have another number one. The OSD record isn't nearly as important imo.

I was about to ask actually, if you all had to chose which record would you rather lose? Longest #1 or most #1's? I think I'd rather keep most #1's, partly because the person near to taking it makes the most disposable, unworthy tracks in general and doesn't deserve it at all. If it was someone at least with proper star factor like Gaga or Beyoncé I'd at least take it on the chin.

Quote    Reply   

#119 [url]

Honestly even taking my rooting for Mariah out of the equation, Rihanna racking up so many #1s actually does irk me a bit on its own. Before Rihanna, #1 singles were actually a pretty good metric for comparing artists' impact across generations. I mean, the top acts for Billboard #1s (sans-Rihanna) are something like: The Beatles, Mariah, Elvis, Michael Jackson, The Supremes, Madonna, Whitney Houston.... yeah, those are pretty much who I'd all peg for the biggest pop stars post-rock & roll. Rihanna throws a wrench into all that.

I mean, I get it, Rihanna is essentially the ultimate singles act and that's what her high ranking is representative of, but I still can't help but feel that scoring #1s is a little less meaningful than it was before.

Quote    Reply   

#120 [url]

I highly doubt Pink even has a shot at #1.

Despacito will get 14 weeks. It may get 15, but hopefully that's it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help