Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#241 [url]

Jun 3 17 5:34 PM

Brazilian X Man wrote:
The album is going to be released next Friday with no current hit song

Swish Swish is flopping on Pop radio and is not charting on other formats

According to a Pulse member who works on a radio station: Apparently this is only a temporary focus track that was serviced because "Bon Apetit" failed to catch on, and the next single, which will have a video, is TBD by listeners. 

I have nothing against Katy but this era is looking so wobbly. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

breakbreakdown

#242 [url]

Jun 6 17 9:50 PM

^ if Rihanna managed to have a successful era with Anti (three released singles before the official first one) and if Gaga managed to scape from media backlash (after no radio support and lackluster sales), I believe Katy can rebound. However, she shouldn't have announced the album release and maybe have waited a little longer ? I don't know, let's see if this turns out to be a flop era or not. I'm missing a good long lasting ol' flop I wonder what keeps Xtina from releasing an album...

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#243 [url]

Jun 7 17 4:45 AM

I think the issue is the splash Katy is making. Gaga's image was pretty inoffensive and unremarkable this time around, she wasn't stirring anything up whereas people have been talking about Katy's antics despite the music itself under performing. The best thing you can hope for when you flop is that it flops so hard that it goes unnoticed. Her releasing a diss track only for it to flop is going to draw all kinds of the wrong attention. Of course, with the right campaign and song (and image tidy up) she can still rebound.

I foresee next time around she'll be back to behaving more "normal" ala Miley Cyrus.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#244 [url]

Jun 7 17 5:01 AM

breakbreakdown wrote:
 I wonder what keeps Xtina from releasing an album...
I know, we got treated to two flop eras to laugh at 2 years in a row before (RIP Bionic 2010-2010 and Lotus 2012-2012). It's been 5 years now  

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#245 [url]

Jun 7 17 8:06 AM

breakbreakdown wrote:
^ if Rihanna managed to have a successful era with Anti (three released singles before the official first one) and if Gaga managed to scape from media backlash (after no radio support and lackluster sales), I believe Katy can rebound. 

The Rihanna example isn't really a valid one. The songs she released on the way to Anti didn't even make it onto the release. Every song, starting from CTTR, will all be on Witness and are clearly part of a campaign that has seen every song so far flop or underperform. They are very much "in" this campaign, two days from album launch and have released essentially a third of the material from it to poor reception. 

This era has taken multiple stumbles. 

Quote    Reply   

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#246 [url]

Jun 7 17 9:19 AM

Rihanna has also released many albums and smash hit singles, she is a more estabilished artist than Katy, who is on her fourth album only and whose pop status is based on 1 album basically

Quote    Reply   

#248 [url]

Jun 7 17 11:21 AM

Brazilian X Man wrote:
Rihanna has also released many albums and smash hit singles, she is a more estabilished artist than Katy, who is on her fourth album only and whose pop status is based on 1 album basically

Eek I'm no big Katy fan, but this is just very wrong smiley: laugh Wasn't Dark Horse technically the biggest hit of her career? And wasn't Roar a smash hit (despite being abysmal)? Her first 3 albums have all been extremely successful -- thankfully, it seems like her time may be up. smiley: tongue

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#249 [url]

Jun 7 17 11:31 AM

^I think the point is Rihanna has had like 8 studio albums and Katy has had 3, so in that sense then yeah she is more established than Katy. A Rihanna flop is less of a big deal than a flop for Katy.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#250 [url]

Jun 7 17 12:11 PM

jamiclever wrote:
Brazilian X Man wrote:

Eek I'm no big Katy fan, but this is just very wrong smiley: laugh Wasn't Dark Horse technically the biggest hit of her career? And wasn't Roar a smash hit (despite being abysmal)? Her first 3 albums have all been extremely successful -- thankfully, it seems like her time may be up. smiley: tongue

Although Prism wasn't a mega era for her (compared to the previous era anyway), it is easy to forget the album spawned mega hits like Roar and Dark Horse. Its why its quite surprising to see this era going so sharply wrong. Its not like she was on the ropes with Prism. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

breakbreakdown

#253 [url]

Jun 7 17 9:05 PM

To Carlos: I thought the the duet with Kanye, BBHMM and the other-I-can't-remember-the-name were supposed to be part of the album, no ? But because they flopped, she waited to release a proper album era. At least that's how I saw/remember it. I honestly don't think they were buzz singles... That said, my point was that Katy should give the same treatment to those three singles and comeback with something new early 2018.

(by the way, BBHMM is one of the BEST Rihanna songs. Just saying).

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#255 [url]

Jun 8 17 7:09 AM

breakbreakdown wrote:
To Carlos: I thought the the duet with Kanye, BBHMM and the other-I-can't-remember-the-name were supposed to be part of the album, no ? But because they flopped, she waited to release a proper album era. At least that's how I saw/remember it. I honestly don't think they were buzz singles... That said, my point was that Katy should give the same treatment to those three singles and comeback with something new early 2018.

Thats the point though. Rihanna was essentially able to jettison her flops off that campaign. By the time ANTI rolled in, those songs weren't even attached to the project and Work was the lead and obviously became a big hit. Katy isn't able to do this. These songs are part of her Witness campaign, they are on the album, the album is out tomorrow and the songs from it have flopped/underperformed so its going to create a negative effect. 

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#256 [url]

Jun 8 17 7:12 AM

All any of these gerls needed to do was get a hit. Rihanna kept throwing sh*t at the wall and eventually Work stuck and from that point on we had the new album, all the others thrown in the bin The Art Of Letting Go style. Katy hasn't got that hit yet off anything.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#257 [url]

Jun 8 17 7:21 AM

Kevon wrote:
All any of these gerls needed to do was get a hit. Rihanna kept throwing sh*t at the wall and eventually Work stuck and from that point on we had the new album, all the others thrown in the bin The Art Of Letting Go style. Katy hasn't got that hit yet off anything.

The advantage Rihanna had of course is time to change course and then, as you say, the sh!t that was Work stuck. Katy has the issue now of not being to able to be reactive as all the material is in bag, the vision is committed and the songs are what they are. The question then becomes is all the album rubbish and if her vision was off - which is not a good place to be in after you've already dropped three singles from it and you release in a day.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#258 [url]

Jun 8 17 8:58 AM

Times have changed really, nothing is really a "sure hit" anymore. It's dangerous coming to a campaign with one song in mind for the lead single and everything else set up. It makes more sense to test the waters and then get things rolling once you see momentum from a song I suppose.

I notice new/upcoming artists more and more don't even do albums now. On Spotify it's a lot of EPs with 6-7 songs rather than full fledged albums. Some artists that have quite a lot of momentum like JP Cooper (who I love) here in the UK have been around for ages but don't even have a proper album out yet.

Quote    Reply   

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#260 [url]

Jun 8 17 9:03 AM

The fact that Katy doesn't have a hit single right now is not her only problem. A lot of people on music discussion boards are simply rooting for her to flop. From her haircut, comments on Britney Spears, odd behaviour to the music she releases, everything is trashed. She is living her Glitter era now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help