Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

Lead

Dec 26 16 10:06 PM

Tags : :

So, we're closing the year and I've snuck into Mario's office....

to yet again snatch his wig to announce the 2016 Best Of. This year saw it all - Vinny's fabulous website became so good Janet Jackson quit her tour to read it. Kevo become a unashamed Housewives addict. Mario managed to create mess but also grew more as the FOMM icon we all love. David continued his slow morph into the lovechild of Bethenny Frankel/Brandi Glanville. Jasp haunted FOMM and then was quickly exorcised. Gawain sold more copies of a Mariah album in a week than a major label could do in a year. We lost some members, we gained some new and some even returned.

But more importantly, what were your musical highlights of this year? The categories are below, as ever, streamlined for the best possible response.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

SINGLE OF THE YEAR

ARTIST OF THE YEAR

SONG/NON-SINGLE OF THE YEAR  

MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR

MUSIC MOMENT OF THE YEAR

Mine to kick things off -

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Eleven by Tina Arena

Elegant, haunting, mature and beautifully sung, this was such a credible record filled with material that was as equally listenable as it was complex. A wonderful example of how an aging female pop artist can make a totally credible piece of work.

SINGLE OF THE YEAR

Into You by Arianna Grande.

Easily the bets pop bop of the year and then only really good thing to come from her newest album. Dark, sexy, insanely catchy and well sung, the single deserved to be a bigger hit.

ARTIST OF THE YEAR

Lady Gaga

Despite the total misfire of Artpop, Gaga proved she’s still got something remarkable to her when she returned this year with Joanne. Subdued, subtle and lacking some spectacle, it was a credible attempt at reinvention that showed her dimensionality.

Invitation by Britney

The beautiful opening song to Glory and such an enticing and captivating way to welcome you into her best album in years. It really makes you feel so immediately connected with Britney (and the album) in a way we’ve barely ever seen.  

MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR

All Night by Beyonce

Slim pickings for epic music videos this year so fittingly, something simple wins. Like many of the songs from the Lemonade album, this one was filled with powerful messages that went beyond great visuals. It made you think and feel on deeper levels. The image of Beyonce strutting through the fields to reunite with Jay was an empowering one.

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR

Zayn

In terms of the music, he really delivered as a solo artist after his departure from One Direction with a fantastically produced debut and showed he could deliver as a massively cool male popstar. At times a bit try hard and not quite willing to ‘play the game’ but 2016 showed Zayn was one to watch.

MUSIC MOMENT OF THE YEAR

Release of Lemonade

While I don’t think material is generally her best and inferior to her previous album, the sheer piece of work Beyonce created this year was undeniable. The mesmerising HBO movie, exposing but mysterious lyrics within the music, the drama of Becky and the good hair and the way she created yet another unique music experience make the Lemonade album 100% worthy of this award.

Need to leave now as I hear Mario coming back as he realises I've snuck in again and beat him to it.....

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Dec 26 16 10:11 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 29 16 2:17 PM

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Glory, Britney Spears. IMO her best album to date, not a stinker in there (I will fight on behalf of Private Show if I have to). Songs like Make Me, Man On The Moon, Just Luv Me, and Invitation are all career highlights for her and prove that Britney can still lay it down in the studio. She may not be the same as a performer, but she can still put together a terrific pop album.

SINGLE OF THE YEAR
One Dance, Drake. What can I say? This song is hot. Awesome beat, Drake sounds sexy. Into You by Ariana would have probably been my #2 choice.

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Adele. She released her album at the very end of last year, but continued to dominate for months following. Sure, her singles may not be hitting #1, but her album managed to sell almost as much as 21-- which most thought would be completely impossible. Adele continued to defy the odds and ailing music industry and sell her albums like it was still the 90s.

Man On The Moon, Britney. I'm sure no one is surprised I have Britney on my list twice. This song is so special to me because I think it represents Britney the person moreso than any song she's done since "Lucky". It's also a combination of everything Britney the pop star is-- catchy, left-of-center quirky pop with unique vocals. Still praying there might be a video for this one day...

MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Ain't Yo Mama, Jennifer Lopez. I'm so sorry everyone, I know none of us know her-- but, tbh, this was by far the best video of the year (IMO, of course). Jenny killed it with the different characters and cool choreography.

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR
Shawn Mendes-- Is he considered to be new from this year? Whatever-- he is so damn cute I can't handle it. Is he 18 yet? Ugh...

MUSIC MOMENT OF THE YEAR
Lemonade, Beyonce. I don't even necessarily like the album, but the movie release was something special and had the entire world talking. Keep raising that bar, Yonce.

.... *prays Mariah is eligible to be on this list next year*

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#6 [url]

Dec 31 16 2:15 PM

^ B!tch. I know you're waiting to have all Beyoncé over your choices!!  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#7 [url]

Dec 31 16 4:57 PM

Thank you for the site compliment, Carlos! We're dropping our year end lists today, albums is live now
http://est1997.com/music/the-19-97-top-albums-of-2016/

ALBUM OF THE YEAR -- LEMONADE, because clearly it is iconic.

SINGLE OF THE YEAR -- "Formation," because she pissed everyone off.

ARTIST OF THE YEAR -- JoJo, because my Princess returned.

SONG/NON-SINGLE OF THE YEAR -- "Neighbors," J. Cole, because it is chilling.

MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR -- "Formation," for the same reason as the song.

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR -- Gallant, my friend dragged me to his concert and I low-key became obsessed.

MUSIC MOMENT OF THE YEAR -- Solange dropping A Seat at the Table snatching everyone's wig except, respectfully, her sister's.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Last Edited By: Vincent Dec 31 16 5:01 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#8 [url]

Jan 1 17 12:03 PM

^ I'll give the list a read tomorrow, I know they'll be interesting choices. I've got Solange's album sitting on my CD shelf and really need to give it a play, more so after seeing on your list.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

#9 [url]

Jan 1 17 2:40 PM

Yas! Singles are live now, too: http://est1997.com/music/the-19-97-singles-of-2016/

TBH, I struggled a lot between choosing Solange or Beyoncé for my #1. I mean, I feel like Solange's is a more weighty, deep album but I enjoy/listen to Lemonade more.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#10 [url]

Jan 2 17 11:38 AM

^ The list has inspired me to pick up some albums on it (I had quite a few already as well). Who knew Mya released a new album as well?!

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

#11 [url]

Jan 2 17 1:57 PM

^I didn't know either until the Grammy nominations came out It's fantastic, though!

Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#12 [url]

Jan 2 17 3:19 PM

^ Another one for my to buy list then!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help