Remove this ad

#101 [url]

Feb 11 17 11:02 AM

Frederic Van Brabant wrote:
I wouldn't move because I think moving could be the end of fomm.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#102 [url]

Feb 11 17 11:32 AM

carlos b fly wrote:

There isn't much to say apart from what I've already said - we're dumping nearly two decades of content and history created so passionately by the fan community, and an iconic corner of Mariah fandom online over some iffy server issues that have really only been a major issue for, what six weeks? It is what it is though and we now have the vote, its out there and in the hands of everyone and I will respect that.

I've already accepted that this is basically zero hour for everything FOMM was (and may likely never be again) but all good things and all that.

I actually agree with Carlos.  smiley: roll
Hell must have frozen over.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#103 [url]

Feb 11 17 11:37 AM

CoryCoolDangerous wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

There isn't much to say apart from what I've already said - we're dumping nearly two decades of content and history created so passionately by the fan community, and an iconic corner of Mariah fandom online over some iffy server issues that have really only been a major issue for, what six weeks? It is what it is though and we now have the vote, its out there and in the hands of everyone and I will respect that.

I've already accepted that this is basically zero hour for everything FOMM was (and may likely never be again) but all good things and all that.

I actually agree with Carlos.  smiley: roll
Hell must have frozen over.

See, I can actually be right sometimes. In all seriousness, you like everyone need to vote on what ultimately makes you happy with this situation.   

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#104 [url]

Feb 11 17 1:45 PM

Another concern to consider is the cost of moving to our own host. If I am not mistaken, Yuku is free with the exception of paying to remove ads (thanks, Shayne). If the migrated FOMM becomes as busy as this one it might become very expensive to pay for, but I'm not really sure of current prices. I remember when I was looking to move our board, because of the size of it, we needed a large database. Obviously we'll be starting over with no database backup but it adds up over time. Just something to keep in mind

My website est1997.com isn't a message board, but when Mariah and Janet shared our posts (in the same weekend) and we got 30,000+ hits that weekend, it crashed the site and I had to upgrade it. Obviously we don't get that kind of traffic normally, but we get between 4k-12k a month depending on posts. Though it's still only a few dollars a month and I've had no problems since. But, again, message boards are different and require more bandwidth I believe. I use GoDaddy, btw.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

#106 [url]

Feb 11 17 5:57 PM

Vincent wrote:
Another concern to consider is the cost of moving to our own host. If I am not mistaken, Yuku is free with the exception of paying to remove ads (thanks, Shayne). If the migrated FOMM becomes as busy as this one it might become very expensive to pay for, but I'm not really sure of current prices. I remember when I was looking to move our board, because of the size of it, we needed a large database. Obviously we'll be starting over with no database backup but it adds up over time. Just something to keep in mind

My website est1997.com isn't a message board, but when Mariah and Janet shared our posts (in the same weekend) and we got 30,000+ hits that weekend, it crashed the site and I had to upgrade it. Obviously we don't get that kind of traffic normally, but we get between 4k-12k a month depending on posts. Though it's still only a few dollars a month and I've had no problems since. But, again, message boards are different and require more bandwidth I believe. I use GoDaddy, btw.
Many hosts offer unlimited/unmetered bandwitdth. I'm not going to bank on Mariah linking or tweeting us. It's just one of those "what if" things that is unlikely to happen so I don't think it's a concern to take on board initially in regards to hosting. Of course, as our needs change, we can upgrade as well. Plans are relatively cheap these days and being a messageboard that is mostly text based, I don't think it would be a major issue.

Quote    Reply   

#107 [url]

Feb 11 17 9:36 PM

Update: Yuku management are currently discussing my request for a database back up of FOMM. Fingers crossed. If they are willing to provide this, we should be able to transfer all posts, threads, forums etc to a new host. I will update when a decision has been made.

Quote    Reply   

greekmenrule

#108 [url]

Feb 12 17 7:38 PM

Shane, thank you for your amazing leadership in dealing with this whole debacle. I have, as you are aware of, been rallying for a larger social media integration of FOMM and a complete relocation and over-haul. I thank you for your ability to not be blindsided by nostalgia and numbers and bs. My vote is to relocate and hopefully get FOMM to be as active and great as it once was; not to mention it would be a good refresh for some to start over.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#109 [url]

Feb 12 17 7:49 PM

ShayneFly wrote:
Update: Yuku management are currently discussing my request for a database back up of FOMM. Fingers crossed. If they are willing to provide this, we should be able to transfer all posts, threads, forums etc to a new host. I will update when a decision has been made.

Am I right in saying its an IP issue? Its a technical point but this boards content wasn't originally owned by them in the first place as we actually migrated it from another domain when we resettled here on Yuku a few years ago. So much of the content on this board didn't start here and thus can't fall under their ownership.

Quote    Reply   

#110 [url]

Feb 12 17 8:08 PM

greekmenrule wrote:
Shane, thank you for your amazing leadership in dealing with this whole debacle. I have, as you are aware of, been rallying for a larger social media integration of FOMM and a complete relocation and over-haul. I thank you for your ability to not be blindsided by nostalgia and numbers and bs. My vote is to relocate and hopefully get FOMM to be as active and great as it once was; not to mention it would be a good refresh for some to start over.
Thank you. We will see where everything lands on this matter in 3-4 weeks.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#111 [url]

Feb 12 17 8:09 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
ShayneFly wrote:

Am I right in saying its an IP issue? Its a technical point but this boards content wasn't originally owned by them in the first place as we actually migrated it from another domain when we resettled here on Yuku a few years ago. So much of the content on this board didn't start here and thus can't fall under their ownership.

I found this information from one of the Yuku team members re: a question on a forum backup.

"I can't think of an easier way. There is data scraping, but I wouldn't suggest it since it's strictly against our terms of use. Be it scraping or manual copying, you'd have to consider potential copyright issues. What the members post is theirs, they have copyrights to it."

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#112 [url]

Feb 12 17 8:14 PM

ShayneFly wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
ShayneFly wrote:

I found this information from one of the Yuku team members re: a question on a forum backup.

"I can't think of an easier way. There is data scraping, but I wouldn't suggest it since it's strictly against our terms of use. Be it scraping or manual copying, you'd have to consider potential copyright issues. What the members post is theirs, they have copyrights to it."

Ah, so its not a copyright issue against Yuku but rather us, the content creators. This is actually better news then.

Quote    Reply   

#113 [url]

Feb 12 17 8:20 PM

Right. And the following are extracts from Yuku's Terms of Use regarding content ownership and copying:

2. Ownership. You acknowledge that you are solely responsible for all materials, text, entries, communications, content, information, forum contributions, materials, pictures and any video links or other materials provided by or contributed by you on this Site (collectively, the “User Generated Content”). You further agree that you either own all User Generated Content provided by you or that you properly obtained it from the appropriate owner with full permissions to post such User Generated Content on the Site. The Content is protected by copyright, trade dress and other laws and may not be copied or imitated in whole or in part.

You agree not to use the Site (or assist or encourage others to use the Site) in order to:

14. Attempt to harvest, scrape, copy or otherwise collect information, User Generated Content or Content from the Site, to retrieve or index any portion of the Site or collect information about Company users for any purpose not expressly authorized by Company, including, without limitation, republishing the same on a third party website, either manually or through any engine, software, tool, agent, or other device or mechanism (including without limitation browsers, spiders, robots, avatars, site search/retrieval application, intelligent agents or other device);

As taken from http://www.crowdgather.com/legal/

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#118 [url]

Feb 13 17 8:12 AM

ShayneFly wrote:
That's great news! Please keep us posted

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#119 [url]

Feb 13 17 11:10 AM

Whether we stay here or not, Shayne, perhaps you should get a domain now and start getting folks used to it. You can redirect the domain to the Yuku address.

Even if we don't move, it'd be nice to type in like, FOMM.com or something rather than all that mess. I mean of course I have it bookmarked but ... LOL.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#120 [url]

Feb 13 17 3:27 PM

^I believe Shayne has already registered www.friendsofmariah.com. Good idea on the redirect in the meantime it would be nice to have an actual web name for fomm a bit catchier than friendsofmariamessageboard.yuku.com Even if we don't end up moving.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help