Remove this ad

avatar

greekmenrule

Posts: 1,969

GreekGodOfChicago

Lead

Aug 14 16 10:03 PM

Tags : :

Today I had an idea that I wanted to discuss with you all.
I have been a member of FOMM for my entire young adult life, and I have very fond memories of great eras and low-lows, crazy members (CLO anyone?! lolol) and friendly ones...but, I think that , maybe, it is time that FOMM changed with the times?! Get some new ACTIVE members and inject some fresh blood into this board. There is an entire Generation of Mariah fans that don't know FOMM exists and I think that if it moved to something like an Instagram page it would thrive?!
Imagine, FOMM Instagram, where pictures and videos could be posted and discussions, etc.....so my idea is to move FOMM out of the messageboard arena permanently and into something fresh, fast, and a lot more accessible....
FOMM is a brand and can expand into other social media outlets.....
just a thought/idea
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,357 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#3 [url]

Aug 15 16 9:20 AM

Yeah we would obviously be at risk of another #scatgate, but it would be good to think of ways to expand the board and keep things fresh. Are there any examples of sites/boards which have done something similar successfully?



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
avatar

greekmenrule

Posts: 1,969 GreekGodOfChicago

#4 [url]

Aug 16 16 2:01 AM

I think it would be smart to "strike while the iron is hot", pages like Instagram's The Art of Shade are Mariah based and get loads of media attention and are extremely popular. The thirst for Mariah is real, it's just not being done properly for U.S/English speaking fans specifically....@Kevon---Mariah Carey Philipines run a very successful Instagram, (@mcareyph) and it is a very good example of a Mariah group making the transition, check it out and let me know what you think.....their page is EPIC...

image

Quote    Reply   
avatar

breakbreakdown

Posts: 11,194 We love everybody.

#5 [url]

Aug 16 16 8:22 AM

I like the idea. My only concern is that FOMM has so many subjects that you can talk/comment about. How would you place General Discussion or Other Artists forums ? Like a different account for every category ? @FOMMgeneraldiscussion @FOMMotherartists @FOMMhallofshameand so on so on? Umm... I see it working. You can follow the sections you want. You can even create more private ones that are not so visible to the public eye @FOMMforumdiscussion. But there should be a maximum of 6 or something. I don't know. I like folders, I have my iPhone all in folders in the front page and people sometimes freak about it lol! My other concern is the format. People here like to have structured debates. The editing in Instagram isn't stellar, and I already feel that with the yuku app. If people don't mind using more emoticons to express their feelings (like ūüĎłūüŹľ for their faves or ūüźć for Taylor Swift). The thing, would it be a full transition ? Or another medium of discussion ?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,357 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#6 [url]

Aug 16 16 9:09 AM

Are people wanting to completely delete the forum aspect? Maybe I'm misread but I don't think that would be what we are talking about - more adding additional components covering other channels to accompany the board rather than replace it?



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,357 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#7 [url]

Aug 16 16 10:21 AM

It is crazy that ukmix gets so much Mariah traffic and this place is so quiet, I have to say. Although the set up is beyond frustrating. One thread per artist, sifting through pages and pages just to see that it's mostly chatter. Still it would be good if we could get that kind of traffic back here as it is obviously still there to an extent.



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,981

#Beautiful

#8 [url]

Aug 16 16 12:06 PM

I don't want FOMM to exist only on social media. That would be stressful and full of useless comments and trolls.


Would I love to have more users here to chat with? Absolutely. But there's a reason I still login every day since 2008 and that's because messageboards have a different dynamic. 

  
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,475 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#9 [url]

Aug 16 16 6:18 PM

Kevon wrote:
It is crazy that ukmix gets so much Mariah traffic and this place is so quiet, I have to say.


Not really though. Look at how popular the Other Artists section is on here. It often would eclipse the Mariah section because it welcomed all sorts, some people who would barely pass as Mariah fans. Forums that aren't branded to one particular artist and offer a more universal experience will always attract a wider audience. Popjustice is another good example. You can go and pop into your faves thread, defend their honour, click click off into another thread and troll a bit on Miley or Demi, pop a GIF celebrating how fantastic Justin Bieber is. Log off.

You'll get a lot of not as passionate fans popping into the Mariah thread on UK Mix on the way to hit up Gaga or Miley. Lots of casual traffic.



  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,475 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#10 [url]

Aug 16 16 6:20 PM

mcfan wrote:
I don't want FOMM to exist only on social media. That would be stressful and full of useless comments and trolls.

Would I love to have more users here to chat with? Absolutely. But there's a reason I still login every day since 2008 and that's because messageboards have a different dynamic. 

I agree. Moving to social media will achieve little. Its simply not a suitable platform to cater the kind of structured conversations we have here. Is the idea here to use the socials to drive more traffic back ultimately here? I see some value in that if so. 
  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Aug 16 16 6:34 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
I don't want FOMM to exist only on social media. That would be stressful and full of useless comments and trolls.

Would I love to have more users here to chat with? Absolutely. But there's a reason I still login every day since 2008 and that's because messageboards have a different dynamic. 

I agree. Moving to social media will achieve little. Its simply not a suitable platform to cater the kind of structured conversations we have here. Is the idea here to use the socials to drive more traffic back ultimately here? I see some value in that if so. 
  
That's my view as well. Replacing the board with social media will not work. The essence of the board would be lost. Using SM to bring people to the board will work.

It is an idea definitely worth discussing further. 

Essentially, you can just post MC news/updates as well as board topics and link them back to here/appropriate threads.

(On a side note, I'd also consider having a thread in the main forum solely for MC news updates with no banter. Essentially the mods/admins would just update with the news collected from the board/web and then link to the appropriate thread for discussion)



Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,475 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#12 [url]

Aug 16 16 6:37 PM

greekmenrule wrote:
I Kevon---Mariah Carey Philipines run a very successful Instagram, (@mcareyph)


Looking through this, I can't see anything remotely commendable. They have zero engagement on their posts, with little conversation from any of their content. This would be a terrible direction for FOMM to model itself off of - there is no active community and no conversation present there at all.
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

greekmenrule

Posts: 1,969 GreekGodOfChicago

#13 [url]

Aug 18 16 4:45 PM

Hey Guys!

Ok, so, first off, I'm not suggesting that FOMM be disbanded, not yet at least, and I'm not saying that the Philipine Instagram is the gold standard, what I'm suggesting and/or bringing to the table is the fact that, even though mcphilipine insta might not be bursting with discussion and fan immersion, they ARE a huge entity.... Name any american fansite that has booked an ARENA to host a Mariah evening with singers, celebrities, and guests???.....exactly, can't name any....the point that I'm trying to make is that there is 100% a desire for Mariah on SM and it isnt being served how it should be....and I think that FOMM is a brand that has a built in loyal core that has abandoned the old ways for the new.....all of you guys keep mentioning trolls and the fear of haters blah blah blah...well, it's par for the course and comment sections on Insta are actually where the discussion happens and often times with many celebrity pages the discussions are great, there will always be haters and such, just delete there f*cking comments and keep it moving.....Exposure on SM that will (maybe, definitely) trickle over to FOMM, thats my initial plan, but I REALLY believe that if you guys decide to do it, you'll see that people actually prefer the quick form of fandom over the antiquated messageboard gathering of like-minded individuals....

Just suggesting that FOMM branch-out and see what happens....
specifics can be discussed but overall I believe, truly, that it's time FOMM spread its wings and fly higher.....

image

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,475 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#14 [url]

Aug 18 16 5:40 PM

greekmenrule wrote:
Ok, so, first off, I'm not suggesting that FOMM be disbanded, not yet at least, and I'm not saying that the Philipine Instagram is the gold standard, what I'm suggesting and/or bringing to the table is the fact that, even though mcphilipine insta might not be bursting with discussion and fan immersion, they ARE a huge entity.... Name any american fansite that has booked an ARENA to host a Mariah evening with singers, celebrities, and guests???.....exactly, can't name any....the point that I'm trying to make is that there is 100% a desire for Mariah on SM and it isnt being served how it should be....and I think that FOMM is a brand that has a built in loyal core that has abandoned the old ways for the new.....all of you guys keep mentioning trolls and the fear of haters blah blah blah...well, it's par for the course and comment sections on Insta are actually where the discussion happens and often times with many celebrity pages the discussions are great, there will always be haters and such, just delete there f*cking comments and keep it moving.....Exposure on SM that will (maybe, definitely) trickle over to FOMM, thats my initial plan, but I REALLY believe that if you guys decide to do it, you'll see that people actually prefer the quick form of fandom over the antiquated messageboard gathering of like-minded individuals....


But where is the basis that the site having an Instagram account or what not has helped their site (or would FOMM)? The Insta account you mentioned actually has a very low following and poor engagements so the notion that the profile has any noteable growth conversion to their site is a very thin and debatable point. I think you'd need to actually provide some actually successful applications of this model for it to be seen as viable.

The one you provided simply doesn't and suggesting them having some very Spartan social accounts has fed to the sites overall massive success is questionable. The site likely was/would have been very successful without those underperforming socials channels.  
  

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Aug 18 16 7:35 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Aug 18 16 6:37 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
Kevon wrote:
It is crazy that ukmix gets so much Mariah traffic and this place is so quiet, I have to say.


Not really though. Look at how popular the Other Artists section is on here. It often would eclipse the Mariah section because it welcomed all sorts, some people who would barely pass as Mariah fans. Forums that aren't branded to one particular artist and offer a more universal experience will always attract a wider audience. Popjustice is another good example. You can go and pop into your faves thread, defend their honour, click click off into another thread and troll a bit on Miley or Demi, pop a GIF celebrating how fantastic Justin Bieber is. Log off.

You'll get a lot of not as passionate fans popping into the Mariah thread on UK Mix on the way to hit up Gaga or Miley. Lots of casual traffic.



  

While UKMix definitely appeals to a wider audience, it's not true to say that the Mariah section is only kept going by casual fans or music listeners. That was the case when I first joined there in 2009 but the Mariah section quickly grew into the biggest section on the site and continues to be the most prolific section on the site because of purely Mariah stans. Most of the members who are casual music fans rarely commented in that massive Mariah thread because it became the biggest "Mariah fansite" on the net and they hated it. There were constantly new members signing up simply to post in the Mariah section and ignoring the rest of the site. The genre sections of the site had their own topics to discuss any new Mariah singles or albums and any casual fans that had an interest posted their opinion there. The Mariah stans were too busy in the General Thread which ended up with well over 10K pages, far and away the largest thread on that site.  The moderators even tried at one time to get the stans to move discussions about a new single or album to the genre specific topics but it completely failed due to the fact none of the stans paid attention and any guidance by the moderators was ignored because of how fast the topic was moving. Even when they locked it, the discussion would always come back there once it reopened. That original general Mariah thread has since been deleted, with a new one open since April and that has over 700 pages and has already and will shortly eclipse general artist topics that have been open since 2009-10 for Britney, Beyonce etc. The discussion of Mariah is totally disproportionate to every other artist on that site and that's purely down to the amount of Mariah stans.


Last Edited By: mimifan09 Aug 18 16 6:40 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,475 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#16 [url]

Aug 18 16 7:30 PM

mimifan09 wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
Kevon wrote:
It is crazy that ukmix gets so much Mariah traffic and this place is so quiet, I have to say.


Not really though. Look at how popular the Other Artists section is on here. It often would eclipse the Mariah section because it welcomed all sorts, some people who would barely pass as Mariah fans. Forums that aren't branded to one particular artist and offer a more universal experience will always attract a wider audience. Popjustice is another good example. You can go and pop into your faves thread, defend their honour, click click off into another thread and troll a bit on Miley or Demi, pop a GIF celebrating how fantastic Justin Bieber is. Log off.

You'll get a lot of not as passionate fans popping into the Mariah thread on UK Mix on the way to hit up Gaga or Miley. Lots of casual traffic.



  

While UKMix definitely appeals to a wider audience, it's not true to say that the Mariah section is only kept going by casual fans or music listeners. That was the case when I first joined there in 2009 but the Mariah section quickly grew into the biggest section on the site and continues to be the most prolific section on the site because of purely Mariah stans. Most of the members who are casual music fans rarely commented in that massive Mariah thread because it became the biggest "Mariah fansite" on the net and they hated it. There were constantly new members signing up simply to post in the Mariah section and ignoring the rest of the site. The genre sections of the site had their own topics to discuss any new Mariah singles or albums and any casual fans that had an interest posted their opinion there. The Mariah stans were too busy in the General Thread which ended up with well over 10K pages, far and away the largest thread on that site.  The moderators even tried at one time to get the stans to move discussions about a new single or album to the genre specific topics but it completely failed due to the fact none of the stans paid attention and any guidance by the moderators was ignored because of how fast the topic was moving. Even when they locked it, the discussion would always come back there once it reopened. That original general Mariah thread has since been deleted, with a new one open since April and that has over 700 pages and has already and will shortly eclipse general artist topics that have been open since 2009-10 for Britney, Beyonce etc. The discussion of Mariah is totally disproportionate to every other artist on that site and that's purely down to the amount of Mariah stans.



And what is the general tone and content seen in this Mariah thread? Would you say its positive? Or quite charged?
  

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 19 16 11:25 AM

carlos b fly wrote:

And what is the general tone and content seen in this Mariah thread? Would you say its positive? Or quite charged?
  

It's quite charged but that's the way the Mariah sections on UKMix have always been. They have had positive moments, negative moments and extremely messy and highly charged times too. But things move on there very fast. The conversation is pretty much the same as has been for years, what she needs to do music wise, promo wise, label wise, management wise, album comparisons, how fat or how thin she is, how her face looks, how her voice sounds, how damaged it is, how improved it is, the lip synching rows, her stage presence or lack of in some people's opinion, her personality, the things she says, how relatable she is, her marriages and divorces and then there are the Mariah versus other artists debates that never end well,  you know how the story goes. These are the cyclical discussions that continue there daily and are always interspersed with whatever news or tweets or posts on social media occur at a particular time. A favourite rehashed discussion on that site was about "Memoirs" and it never ended well either. lol

So nothing has really changed there but there are always a few new stans joining every so often and that keeps the debate going, for better or worse.

While it's clear FOMM has quietened down due to the fact there isn't much happening in Mariah land at the moment that really appeals to the fans that once posted here daily, I think one of non Mariah related reasons FOMM began to quieten down a few years ago was because it was locked for so long. I signed up to UKmix and FOMM at exactly the same time back in 2009. I said this before here, I always wanted to post here because FOMM was the biggest Mariah fansite. I didn't get approved here until August 2012 and by that time I had amassed 10k posts on UKMix. If FOMM had always been open or if approval had happened faster, I think that would have ensured a level of freshness to the discussions when people who lost interest or left for whatever reason, no longer posted here anymore. That is what happened on UKMix. 

I also think, it was hard to be a new member here and to break into a community that had so much history. Because new members were so scarce when I was approved here, we were definitely treated with an air of scepticism and that was understandable because you never know who might be a troll. On UKmix, the new members often said they had read the Mariah thread for months or years before they signed up so they often had their opinions on everyone formed before they joined. The majority of them obviously didn't blast out of the gate throwing out their opinions on everyone there and then but it certainly gave them the knowledge on how they needed to approach and deal with people when interacting with them for the first time. 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,475 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#18 [url]

Aug 19 16 12:19 PM

mimifan09 wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

And what is the general tone and content seen in this Mariah thread? Would you say its positive? Or quite charged?
  

It's quite charged but that's the way the Mariah sections on UKMix have always been. They have had positive moments, negative moments and extremely messy and highly charged times too. But things move on there very fast. The conversation is pretty much the same as has been for years, what she needs to do music wise, promo wise, label wise, management wise, album comparisons, how fat or how thin she is, how her face looks, how her voice sounds, how damaged it is, how improved it is, the lip synching rows, her stage presence or lack of in some people's opinion, her personality, the things she says, how relatable she is, her marriages and divorces and then there are the Mariah versus other artists debates that never end well,  you know how the story goes. These are the cyclical discussions that continue there daily and are always interspersed with whatever news or tweets or posts on social media occur at a particular time. A favourite rehashed discussion on that site was about "Memoirs" and it never ended well either. lol

So nothing has really changed there but there are always a few new stans joining every so often and that keeps the debate going, for better or worse.

While it's clear FOMM has quietened down due to the fact there isn't much happening in Mariah land at the moment that really appeals to the fans that once posted here daily, I think one of non Mariah related reasons FOMM began to quieten down a few years ago was because it was locked for so long. I signed up to UKmix and FOMM at exactly the same time back in 2009. I said this before here, I always wanted to post here because FOMM was the biggest Mariah fansite. I didn't get approved here until August 2012 and by that time I had amassed 10k posts on UKMix. If FOMM had always been open or if approval had happened faster, I think that would have ensured a level of freshness to the discussions when people who lost interest or left for whatever reason, no longer posted here anymore. That is what happened on UKMix. 

I also think, it was hard to be a new member here and to break into a community that had so much history. Because new members were so scarce when I was approved here, we were definitely treated with an air of scepticism and that was understandable because you never know who might be a troll. On UKmix, the new members often said they had read the Mariah thread for months or years before they signed up so they often had their opinions on everyone formed before they joined. The majority of them obviously didn't blast out of the gate throwing out their opinions on everyone there and then but it certainly gave them the knowledge on how they needed to approach and deal with people when interacting with them for the first time. 


I could be wrong but I don't think FOMM requires any approvals now? It literally is an open door policy. You sign up, you can post. There is a lot of history here on FOMM, its got a strong social dynamic and friendships/issues/rivalries that go back years. My view of that though is, like anyone entering a new social environment, you navigate into it with a sense of graciousness and observation.
  

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Aug 19 16 12:56 PM

^ Yeah I believe it's been open since 2013 or 2014. But when a forum has been locked for so long, something needs to happen to get traffic moving here to see that the site is open and accepting new members. So the social media push suggested above would be a good start. Obviously a Mariah section that is active on a regular basis would also serve to attract people who might be lurking but it's going to be up to Mariah to do something interesting that will hopefully bring older members back here to post more frequently and kick start that section again.

You absolutely have to approach a forum with a level of respect for the dynamic, relationships and community that already exists but when you're the only person walking into an environment with different cliques and where everyone is a friend, an enemy or whatever, it's hard to be the only person attempting to knock at those doors. Taking UKmix as an example again, it's far easier to sign up when 3 other people might have signed up yesterday. You see how they are treated, how they interact as a new member and it is often the case that you might bond with those people at first because they are also new.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,475 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#20 [url]

Aug 20 16 6:34 AM

mimifan09 wrote:
^ Yeah I believe it's been open since 2013 or 2014. But when a forum has been locked for so long, something needs to happen to get traffic moving here to see that the site is open and accepting new members. So the social media push suggested above would be a good start. Obviously a Mariah section that is active on a regular basis would also serve to attract people who might be lurking but it's going to be up to Mariah to do something interesting that will hopefully bring older members back here to post more frequently and kick start that section again.


A social media push would need to be driven by promoting the content on the site (ie, the discussion). The original example was a terrible one, for reasons I've already mentioned and the fact the website linked to it was actually a news site first and foremost. We are not. We are a discussion forum. So we absolutely would need to promote a taste of discussions occurring here and hope the breadcrumbs would interest people in coming here.

As you say as well, its going to get increasingly harder to get people massively interested in just Mariah. She's making less music, having less hits (we know how superficial and hit driven a chunk of her fanbase is) and the fans are simply getting older and have more important obligations (jobs, kids, partners, housing, saving money, etc). A sizable chunk of Mariahs fanbase now will be late 20's or well into their 30's, the same passion just won't be there.
  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help