Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#45 [url]

Nov 29 16 8:27 AM

OMG I was just about to leave to go and buy my copy, and then I checked my email and saw that I have, in fact, already pre-ordered it, due for delivery today. Bonus is I ordered it with a gift card I got from work, so I don't have to pay for it again. So glad I checked before I went out and foolishly bought another copy.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#46 [url]

Jan 8 17 7:20 PM

So what did we think about this game in the end? I completed the game around mid-December and would give it a solid 8/10.

It reminded me of Metal Gear Solid 5 in that the gameplay mechanics were generally excellent and really evolved the franchise but the storytelling and structure of it was sacrificed and the game clearly was compromised and rushed in places due to production issues. Still, it was really enjoyable and I think a promising new direction for FF. The only real let down for me was the story - it was rushed in the second half, underdeveloped and actually very thin. Although the four main characters became very endearing. I would still rather play this than FFXII or XIII by a mile though. It was just a fun game to play, whereas the previous two games were not and marred by serious flaws.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#47 [url]

Jan 9 17 5:12 AM

I am taking my time with it (really immersing myself in all the side quests before progressing the story). I'm at like Chapter 7 or 8 now. I am really enjoying it. The world is just so immersive and all the little details really add to the experience. You don't mind driving from one place to the other because it just adds to the experience and also gives you the genuine feeling of a relationship between the main characters. I was dubious about it being 4 male characters but it seems to work well. I do think some of the female moments are a bit old school though (like when Gladious' sister joins the party, she has a pink chocobo, like no HP and just gives you hi-potions periodically).

As for the story so far, I feel it's just loosely tying together the broader experience. Which is fine though I guess before the story was the main point of Final Fantasy. I am enjoying the story so far though, but I am glad I watched the movie beforehand or I would probably just be confused.

So far I'd rank it above 10-2, 12, 13 (and all sequels). 

Last Edited By: Kevon Jan 9 17 5:14 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#49 [url]

Jan 9 17 6:10 PM

Kevon wrote:
I am taking my time with it (really immersing myself in all the side quests before progressing the story). I'm at like Chapter 7 or 8 now. I am really enjoying it. The world is just so immersive and all the little details really add to the experience. You don't mind driving from one place to the other because it just adds to the experience and also gives you the genuine feeling of a relationship between the main characters. I was dubious about it being 4 male characters but it seems to work well. I do think some of the female moments are a bit old school though (like when Gladious' sister joins the party, she has a pink chocobo, like no HP and just gives you hi-potions periodically).

As for the story so far, I feel it's just loosely tying together the broader experience. Which is fine though I guess before the story was the main point of Final Fantasy. I am enjoying the story so far though, but I am glad I watched the movie beforehand or I would probably just be confused.

So far I'd rank it above 10-2, 12, 13 (and all sequels). 

I'd be prepared for a massive shift/drop in quality. The game takes a very odd direction after you leave the main continent you're on to find Luna. Still, I would absolutely put it above X-2, XII, XIII and all its bloody sequels. The combat was great and its a satisfying new direction for the series. Next time, I'd just like them to hammer down a better told and deeper story with better developed characters.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#50 [url]

Jan 10 17 5:21 AM

I read reviews saying that it becomes very linear after a certain point. However, as long as I can return to the continent periodically for more side quests I'll live

I was writing a post about how it's a good well thought out world and that's important as there will surely be at least 1 sequel. So I googled and was surprised to see this:

I'd be surprised if given the amount of time invested in this game that they don't milk it. At least to tide us over should FF 16 take another decade.

Last Edited By: Kevon Jan 10 17 5:24 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#51 [url]

Jan 20 17 1:45 PM

Kevon wrote:
I read reviews saying that it becomes very linear after a certain point. However, as long as I can return to the continent periodically for more side quests I'll live laugh.gif

I was writing a post about how it's a good well thought out world and that's important as there will surely be at least 1 sequel. So I googled and was surprised to see this:

I'd be surprised if given the amount of time invested in this game that they don't milk it. At least to tide us over should FF 16 take another decade.

The second half of the game left me pretty divided. The story really kind of falls apart (to the point where they are going to patch in new content to cover it) and the game honestly feels like its compressing in on itself, leaving massive gaps, in a desperate bid to just get the game out. I still think its better than XII or XIII though. Superior gameplay for one and a successful reinvention of it for the franchise.

I actually think there won't be any sequels.

The game has sold well, so there isn't any need to claw back lost revenue from the assets and they are locked into essentially making a new Final Fantasy with the FFVII remake. Your average FF games about three years to make so I suspect we'll see a sixteenth instalment around 2019.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#53 [url]

Jun 9 17 5:47 AM

I got right up to the end of FFXV then left it for ages, finally finished it. Really silly end of the game, just endless corridors, as folk said. The story was weird I thought the characters had a really bond but the actual overarching plot just wasn't there.

Having completed it though and taken a break I have to say I am enjoying going back and doing side quests at my own pace. Also, the Regalia being able to fly is such a thrill lol

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help