Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

'Showing receipts and offering seats'

Lead

Aug 2 16 10:24 AM

Tags : :

Fellow gamers, how are we feeling about this game? I just realised that it comes out at the end of next month. I haven't majorly used any FF title since 10, so I am a bit apprehensive. But of course, curiosity means they will get my coin nonetheless.

I'm glad it was at least directed for part of the project by Tetsuya Nomura. 

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Sep 22 16 8:34 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1 [url]

Aug 2 16 12:09 PM

Of course, I'm in. I'm a Final Fantasy wh0re. It'll be interesting to see a) how this performs given its massive development time (can it even return a profit after so many delays?) and b) if the game, having originally been a spin off, will turn people off by not feeling FF enough with such heavy action gameplay or actually reignite interest for precisely that reason.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#2 [url]

Aug 2 16 3:21 PM

I'm also a bit concerned about the characters. I mean, it kinda sucks having an all male cast. And their justification for that actually kind of dug them in a deeper hole. But if they do bring a stronger character development as a result, then good because that's something that's been sorely lacking for a while now.

I'm a bit concerned about the battle system, which has been described as FFXII (ew)/Kingdom Hearts/Type-0. I know they would never go back to full turn based battle at this point, but yeah, if it's just mashing buttons with little strategy then meh.

Insane to think this game has been 10 years in the making. the pressure to deliver must be through the roof. The fact that Tetsuya Nomura was involved in the early stages gives me hope for the story.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#3 [url]

Aug 2 16 5:30 PM

Kevon wrote:
I'm also a bit concerned about the characters. I mean, it kinda sucks having an all male cast. And their justification for that actually kind of dug them in a deeper hole. But if they do bring a stronger character development as a result, then good because that's something that's been sorely lacking for a while now.

I'm a bit concerned about the battle system, which has been described as FFXII (ew)/Kingdom Hearts/Type-0. I know they would never go back to full turn based battle at this point, but yeah, if it's just mashing buttons with little strategy then meh.

The battle system could really make or break this game. From the early demo, it looked very mashy and didn't scream very tactical. I could see myself dying in a lot of situations simply out of bad luck with the iffy combat engine. I agree, an all male cast is an odd move. Even more so when you consider Final Fantasy has always been famed (well, since from FF6 anyway) for strong female protagonists.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#4 [url]

Aug 3 16 9:17 AM

Yeah, and what I liked about the old games was you could control each of your characters thanks to the more time for a pause nature of turn based combat. It's essentially 1 character you're playing with otherwise and the others are on auto pilot.

I suppose they could turn around and say "We've had all female casts" before, but it is strange. I just hope the female characters aren't reduced to "eye candy" or helpless damsels.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#5 [url]

Aug 3 16 9:30 AM

Kevon wrote:
Yeah, and what I liked about the old games was you could control each of your characters thanks to the more time for a pause nature of turn based combat. It's essentially 1 character you're playing with otherwise and the others are on auto pilot.

I hope and assume you will at least be able to set what your party will do in combat, in some kind of FF12 gambit system. Otherwise, you could end up in a real issue if the AI just isn't delivering in a boss fight and putting up about as much fight as a leaf.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#6 [url]

Aug 3 16 9:47 AM

I am quite excited to play my first proper game on the PS4 when I think about it. I mean Type-0 was obviously a remastered lower gen game. And to be honest I don't think I have used my PS4 for anything else yet (other than watching DVDs) now that I think about it

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#8 [url]

Aug 4 16 4:01 AM

Yeah I did, I never stuck it out though, life got in the way and I ended up only playing it for a few hours. I should give it another bash before FFXV though.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#9 [url]

Aug 4 16 5:13 AM

That's a shame. I found it so wonderfully old school with a decent story and the combat was great (and personally, may have been the direction FFXV should have used if it wanted to do live action, more arcade geared fights).

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 4 16 7:01 AM

As a FF fan, looking forward to this series.

www.k-e-i-t-h.deviantart.com / www.instagram.com/drawingkeith

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Aug 4 16 7:53 AM

I seriously can't wait!
I played the demo and I think it's looking great.
I'm just not used to the battle system yet... I hope I'll get better at it as I progress.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#12 [url]

Aug 4 16 10:50 AM

Was tempted to play the demo but I kind of want to hold off and keep it all fresh.

Like a new Mariah album has leaked a couple of songs and the lambs want to remain virginal

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#13 [url]

Aug 5 16 5:50 AM

Kevon wrote:
Was tempted to play the demo but I kind of want to hold off and keep it all fresh.

I watched it on YouTube and alas, wasn't blown away. The combat looked really pot luck to me and not massively satisfying (compared to Type-0 which really was). Hopefully they've improved it in the time since.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#15 [url]

Aug 17 16 10:26 AM

I saw that. Seriously? Is TEN YEARS not enough time?

I need a drink.

tumblr_n2365hljkv1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#16 [url]

Aug 18 16 6:04 AM

Really sad thing is, the game will now be coming out in the dead zone period. Sales fall through the floor after Thanksgiving and Black Friday and they'll right at the back of the queue after all the other big Q4 titles have already gobbled up peoples money. A really @$++%++ disaster for what was a make or break title for SquareEnix.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#17 [url]

Aug 18 16 1:55 PM

Yeah it's a very unwise decision. The amount of pressure they must be in for this game to sell must be through the roof so moving it past the sweet spot for sales is beyond perplexing. Something major must have happened.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#18 [url]

Aug 18 16 2:12 PM

Rumour is the PS4 port is a mess and held it all back. The PC version (and thus, Xbox One) is all okay but with the Sony port, its dropping frames like mad still. Hopefully they can fix it. Personally, I wonder if they should have bit the bullet hard and released next Feb. They stand more chance of having it all sorted and a better run of the market in the new year.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#20 [url]

Sep 22 16 8:36 AM

I see the CGI prequel movie for this game is out next week on DVD. I'll have to pick it up, it'll some consolation for not having the game like we were supposed to that day!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help