Remove this ad

#841 [url]

May 24 17 12:13 PM

It isn't fair to say her vocals are always thin these days -- I always think back to her Jamaica concert and how thick and beautiful her voice sounded. The way she sang the WBT verses there is actually my favorite performance of the song, she sounds divine. Same for #B.

I think she likes when her voice sounds thinner and higher (ie chipmunk vocals) because she thinks it sounds younger.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#842 [url]

May 24 17 12:17 PM

cris258 wrote:
Her vocals ARE a bit part of it. The public don't love I Don't style vocals or Infinity they love big booming Mariah Carey vocals. Problem is how many times has she said she hates 'belting'

I know what you mean. 

Even if you aren't going to get early 90's Mariah's vocals (and thats not her fault/beyond her control), I think most people detest her sing/rap style delivery and the songs around them. 

Quote    Reply   

kittykow105

#843 [url]

May 24 17 4:03 PM

There are a lot of mediocre singers out right now getting hits. I think Mariah's big problem is her style has been done over and over again from both her and other artists. A reason why we loved Mariah owning a lot of her artistry is because she offered something new and it was authentic. While her last album was awesome, a lot of her recent single releases have been uninspired to say the least (even though I do love "I Don't"). Mariah was allegedly less involved with "#Beautiful" and it worked out in her favor. It's not necessarily her fault either. How much can we expect a person to evolve in their musical career?

Quote    Reply   

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#844 [url]

May 24 17 6:13 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
cris258 wrote:
Her vocals ARE a bit part of it. The public don't love I Don't style vocals or Infinity they love big booming Mariah Carey vocals. Problem is how many times has she said she hates 'belting'

I know what you mean. 

Even if you aren't going to get early 90's Mariah's vocals (and thats not her fault/beyond her control), I think most people detest her sing/rap style delivery and the songs around them. 

The fast singing or whatever that is called needs to go away and never come back

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#845 [url]

May 24 17 6:23 PM

She should just pretend "You Don't Know What to Do" is a new song and rerelease it. It has everything that her next single should have, if she wants a hit. Maybe exchange Wale for a bigger name. Catchy, fantastic vocals, relatable lyrics, and it's fun musically with impeccable production.

Quote    Reply   

#846 [url]

May 24 17 6:43 PM

I think her recent singles, especially I Don't and Infinity, have been lacking a strong melody-- this is another thing she's known for.  The choruses of her 90's hits are practically burned into the memory of anyone 30 years or older.  These last two singles have suffered from a lot of problems, but to me the weakest piece has been the melody.  People have trouble hearing what she's saying, and that ain't helping...

Quote    Reply   

#848 [url]

May 24 17 7:47 PM

RE:

ShayneFly wrote:
Apparently, DJ Khaled is playing hard to get LA Reid's job at Epic...

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2017/05/khaled-oversee-mariah-careys-career/

I don't see him getting that gig tbh, if anything it might be something with a title but not the actual CEO. Also of course thatgrapejuice would come up with a shady title, they're always so annoying about Mariah 😒

Quote    Reply   

#850 [url]

May 26 17 7:18 PM

Yes there have been many times when Mariah worked with big producers and come out with the same JD Ballad with a beat results but there have also been times have been more times she came with a fresh sound from working with New People. I'll Be Lovin' You long Time, Side Effects, Migrate, I'm That Chick, Betcha Gon' Know are just a few examples. I don't mind her working with JD but they gotta bring it Next level. "You Don't Know What To Do"was almost perfect the only thing was Wale didn't really fit on the track his rap wasn't catchy enough and dragged the song out and I love him as an artist.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#851 [url]

May 27 17 4:34 AM

I want to hear her sing a ballad song again... like 90's again. She can still belt. I think use it now before it goes away. Make people cry again lol

Is there a release date for this upcoming album? :

Quote    Reply   

#852 [url]

May 27 17 5:25 AM

^ No release date except the vague "late 2017." But I wouldn't expect one until 2018.

Mariah is in San Franciso with that Life of Sean/Sosa 9000 producer to record tonight.

Nephew Shawn went with her and basically confirmed that it's very early in the recording process and she hasn't recorded vocals for his favourite song yet:

Last Edited By: mimifan09 May 27 17 5:28 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#853 [url]

May 27 17 8:49 AM

I think it is good enough that we know she is indeed writing and recording songs, instead of vague rumours, guessing and inside infos not always reliable

Quote    Reply   

#854 [url]

May 27 17 10:51 AM

^ Shawn also replied to another fan when asked how many songs she has done for the album and he said "not many."

Its good to know she's only getting into the process now. It wasn't clear whether she was either going to rush something just to fulfill whatever contractual obligations she has rather than take time and do it right. That's not to say that what we get won't be a mess. But at least we know she's not rushing out something just for the sake of it.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#856 [url]

May 29 17 4:57 AM

^I think this is more and more standard - I doubt it's got anything to do with her involvement in the writing, she probably just has more of a ritual she has to go through to get her voice in 'recording condition' so scratch vocals are probably done by someone else

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

#857 [url]

May 29 17 5:17 AM

^ She has worked with reference tracks for a long time. It's either a case of her working on a track from scratch with a producer or her hearing a beat and then coming up with the melody and lyrics in collaboration with whoever. Then the other songwriter she's working with often records whatever they've done and she then goes away and works on the track alone/with just her sound engineer like she has always done. I know for "Make It Look Good", Mariah left B. Cox's vocals from the reference track on the final song.

There's just confusion amongst fans cause of The Dream situation and those leaks. I'm not saying she wasn't played "demos" in that case that she went away and changed herself. But they just as easily could have been the reference tracks.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#858 [url]

May 29 17 5:39 AM

^I think you can alway assess when a song was more or less worked from an original demo, some of the songs on Memoirs didn't sound like Mariah Carey songs and those are the ones where she was more likely involved in the songwriting process later on rather than from the outset, and others have that 'mariah sound' that you instantly recognise as her own work

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

#859 [url]

May 29 17 8:16 AM

^ I agree with you. But at the same time, I feel like HATEU which is a song where we heard a "demo" or the original idea the Dream had, and the final version is a very "Mariah" feeling song. Something like "Standing O" feels more phoned in so it isn't always obvious IMO.

My main point is that there's a difference between her having reference tracks based on what has been worked in during a studio session with her involved from the outset and her simply being handed a worked on demo where she goes off and just makes it her own.

Last Edited By: mimifan09 May 29 17 8:18 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#860 [url]

May 29 17 1:41 PM

Shawn sort of backtracking on his earlier tweets about the new album:

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help