Remove this ad

#701 [url]

Apr 25 17 2:39 PM

^ I don't think I can agree to disagree about "Faded". Laugh If you had said "Supernatural" has some altered belts that you don't like then I'd accept that even though I agree that it has some of the best belting on the album too. "Heavenly" is definitely a cut and paste mess but some of the belting sounds very processed and stripped of any natural feeling and sound.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Stamos

#702 [url]

Apr 25 17 2:45 PM

Seriously, I started to doubt myself so I took another listen too. I think Faded has excellent vocals and less processed than Heavenly or Supernatural.

~~MCinGR  for the nostalgia ~~

Quote    Reply   

hottiecasanova

"You think that's sexy? With the Rocket Pop's outside you?"

#703 [url]

Apr 25 17 3:00 PM

mimifan09 wrote:
^ I don't think I can agree to disagree about "Faded". Laugh If you had said "Supernatural" has some altered belts that you don't like then I'd accept that even though I agree that it has some of the best belting on the album too. "Heavenly" is definitely a cut and paste mess but some of the belting sounds very processed and stripped of any natural feeling and sound.

anigif_original-grid-image-5033-13819287

Quote    Reply   

#704 [url]

Apr 25 17 3:15 PM

Ugh I don't know how to post gifs but if I could I would post the Nene "I said what I said!" one!!

Also, re Faded vocals-- something about it just doesn't sound good to me. She's doing too much at certain points and it sounds like they've been pitched up. I remember some review of MIAM saying some of her vocals sound like they're being held up by digital technology and that's what those sound like to me. 

Last Edited By: jamiclever Apr 25 17 3:25 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Migrate90

#705 [url]

Apr 25 17 3:18 PM

Stamos wrote:
Seriously, I started to doubt myself so I took another listen too. I think Faded has excellent vocals and less processed than Heavenly.
!!!!

"Faded" is sublime. I've loved that song from my first listen, and it instantly shot down any doubts regarding the outcome that I had, when Mariah posted she was working with Mike Will Made It (I normally think that guy's productions suck).

Plus, I agree that the belting on that song is natural and powerful. I love how Mariah's voice sounds... full, controlled and rich.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#707 [url]

Apr 25 17 7:49 PM

If there were any more lies in this thread it'd be a Sean Spicer press conference.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

#709 [url]

Apr 25 17 10:27 PM

So, like-- for real for real-- when y'all heard Faded for the first time, you didn't think those belted vocals sounded a little... wrong? Or out of place? If I'm being completely honest, I've grown a little more used to them (as I have with a lot of the vocals on MIAM), but I know at first I thought they just sounded unnatural and it annoyed me.

I CAN'T with the Sean Spicer comparison, that's a low blow-- is there no one else who knows what I'm saying? I just listened to it again and I still hear it. IMO it's one of the victims of Mariah taking too long to "perfect" each song on MIAM-- some of the vocals ended up feeling too something, either overlapped or overwrought or manipulated in some way.

Really, no?

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#710 [url]

Apr 26 17 2:36 AM

I don't think Faded had manipulated belting I think it sounds fairly natural, but something like Heavenly was clearly manipulated with a bunch of cut and paste and pitch-corrected Minnie Mouse vocals.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#711 [url]

Apr 26 17 4:15 AM

Yeah I had a listen and don't really think it sounds unnatural or overly digitized. There's like maybe one bit that sounds like the run has been "tidied up" but it's one of the more natural vocals on the album for me.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

#712 [url]

Apr 26 17 4:20 AM

I'm kind of (still not completely though) used to her pitch-altered/processed vocals because she's been doing it since CB. Some TEOM tracks are actually a bit painful/annoying for me to listen to (MA, STN) or other songs like WCC.

The vocals on Faded, however, still flow nicely and organically, in my opinion. While on Heavenly the flow is just too messy/abrupt in a lot of places.

Quote    Reply   

#713 [url]

Apr 26 17 5:47 AM

^ "Heavenly" is far and away her worst recorded vocal just from the point of view of how messy, unnatural, cut and paste and rushed it sounds. It's a shame because it could have been a nice end to album. Similar to how she ended basically every album for years but it reflected all of what she had gone through during that period.

Re "Faded" I remember first listening to the album going from "Cry" into "Faded" and then "Dedicated" and I felt she has managed to stay true to herself yet updated her sound. Every thing seemed polished but not too much and on point. "Thirsty" definitely has some altered vocals but considering she recorded some of that in the Bahama's at her worst vocal period throughout the recording process, it still sounds fine. It wasn't really until my fave "Camoflauge" that I felt the mix was off. The lead vocal is grating and sort of too loud in the mix. Some of the runs sound processed but overall, I love it and that vibrato near the end is life.

OMT and Heavenly are tragically over produced. I still think MIAM is vocally underrated. Tracks 1-11 are some of her best mixed for years. The vocals have some questionable moments but nothing too bad.

Quote    Reply   

matty tat tat

Let me speak quietly
So your heart can hear
I will hypnotise and mesmerise u
With the sound of your own fear

#714 [url]

Apr 26 17 6:14 AM

I liked the vocals at the end of Faded whereas the start of the song I think sounds weird but I haven't listened to it in a while.

Like 'Mariah Carey Multimedia Page' on Facebook
(facebook.com/MariahCareyMultimedia)

Subscribe to the MimiMultimedia YouTube Channel
(http://www.youtube.com/user/MimiMultimedia)

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#715 [url]

Apr 26 17 10:22 AM

mimifan09 wrote:
I still think MIAM is vocally underrated. Tracks 1-11 are some of her best mixed for years. 
I should think so considering how damn long she took perfecting it smiley: laugh

84.gif

Quote    Reply   

#716 [url]

Apr 26 17 11:13 AM

I'm a big fan of Camouflage but that "round and round I go" belt at the end always sounded weird to me too. Maybe I've just gotten too hard on her belting? I just can't picture some of these sounds coming out of her mouth. Or maybe I need to get my ears checked

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#717 [url]

Apr 26 17 11:20 AM

I think actually it's probably less obvious to us than a casual listener. I find when Mariah releases new stuff sometimes that I find the vocals a bit jarring then I get used to it. We've heard her voice change slowly over time, imagine if Mariah went away in 1995 and then put out a song now. I would think it was another person lol.

Quote    Reply   

Nike

Posts: 12,153 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#718 [url]

Apr 26 17 11:35 AM

Mariah in the studio working for her 15th album

?m=02&d=20100304&t=2&i=70364631&w=&fh=54

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#719 [url]

Apr 26 17 12:34 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I'm a big fan of Camouflage but that "round and round I go" belt at the end always sounded weird to me too. Maybe I've just gotten too hard on her belting? I just can't picture some of these sounds coming out of her mouth. Or maybe I need to get my ears checked wink.gif

I get what you mean about the 'round and round' belt but that's actually what a lot of her live belting sounds like these days, so in that sense I feel like that part is very real. She surely could've edited and polished up that bit but she left it kind of rough and I like that.

Quote    Reply   

#720 [url]

Apr 26 17 1:52 PM

RE:

BeyondIdolization wrote:
jamiclever wrote:I'm a big fan of Camouflage but that "round and round I go" belt at the end always sounded weird to me too. Maybe I've just gotten too hard on her belting? I just can't picture some of these sounds coming out of her mouth. Or maybe I need to get my ears checked image

I get what you mean about the 'round and round' belt but that's actually what a lot of her live belting sounds like these days, so in that sense I feel like that part is very real. She surely could've edited and polished up that bit but she left it kind of rough and I like that.

I agree. It sounds like she didn't try to smooth it over with any studio magic, it sounds authentic.
And mariah still sounds like herself idk why people are saying she sounds like another person. Obviously her voice has changed but who is supposed to sound the exact same 20+ years later? Other artists with no reported vocal damage have voices that sound different and they've been in the industry much less.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help