Remove this ad

avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,707

#Beautiful

#41 [url]

Sep 6 16 8:12 PM

The new song will apparently have Rock elements.

  
  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#42 [url]

Sep 6 16 8:19 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
Artflop was a disaster. The album is one thing, but even the singles were disasters. Applause was the only one with some sort of impact and no one cares about that song today.


Agreed. She went from the hottest pop star on the planet to releasing a bad album with underperforming singles even Gaga won't bother with several years from now. 

Disaster.
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,707

#Beautiful

#43 [url]

Sep 6 16 8:24 PM

Artpop wasn't a bad album per se.. it was just plodded with too much material.

"Sexxx Dreams" is a career highlight to me and the title track has great production work. I also love the 3 singles. I wish "Fashion" had the kind of live production she used when she performed it with RuPaul. 

  
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#44 [url]

Sep 6 16 8:28 PM

ArtPop nearly ruined her career as a musician, hence her efforts to rebuild and re-brand herself after it. So, yes, it was a disaster regardless of whether she had a hit off it or people like some of the songs. She's done a good job reshaping her image, and she's been away from music long enough that people may be open to her new single. It will be interesting.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#45 [url]

Sep 6 16 9:02 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
ArtPop nearly ruined her career as a musician, hence her efforts to rebuild and re-brand herself after it. So, yes, it was a disaster regardless of whether she had a hit off it or people like some of the songs. She's done a good job reshaping her image, and she's been away from music long enough that people may be open to her new single.

I think Artpop will go down in history as everything not to do with a superstar career. Her very clever efforts in its wake though, could also be a worthy footnote in getting it right.
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,707

#Beautiful

#46 [url]

Sep 6 16 9:03 PM

The Artpop campaign had more visual than musical mistakes. It's her weird image that made people disconnect, it felt like a tired act at that point. People felt "Applause" was pretentious, but then it turned into a hit in the long run, while the music video was either ignored or trashed for being weird.

She only got it right with the Greek myth imagery in the first part of the "G.U.Y." video, then it was back to being too much. Not to mention the poorly executed album cover.

  
  

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Sep 6 16 11:03 PM

I really like Applause! I think it's a great pop song and was totally in line with the Gaga brand. I'm not sure what happened after that and why the era was such a mess-- was DWUW the next single? I thought that was pretty well-received too? Was it the video being delayed/canned that was the problem? That's sort of what I blame for "Make Me" not having a bigger impact.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#48 [url]

Sep 6 16 11:19 PM

Gaga's decline had already started with Born This Way, though. The title track was a hit, but a lot of it was due to hype. The other singles failed to have the impact of the singles off her first 2 albums (she had actually built momentum with The Fame Monster). So, when ArtPop dropped and was even more of a disappointment commercially, it was like a nail in the coffin in a sense.

I do hope this new single blows up this weekend just to knock "Closer" off the top. That song has exploded with no competition in sight (it leads the #2 song on the Hot 100 by double), so I want to see it knocked from #1 for a bit.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Gospelartist03

Posts: 1,716 Chillin' at FOMM

#49 [url]

Sep 7 16 2:54 AM

yea I think BTW was really the beginning of the decline and by the time Artpop was in the works she was already rapidly falling. applause was a good song but it wasn't the 2nd coming which meant the magic people expected from Gaga was over. her big album push line was that it would have an APP it all seemed so average from the grand sized spectacle we expected of Gaga (biggest pop star in the world) it made her just one of the gurls and Katy Perry cleaning her clock it all just didn't line up for her that era.

her promo also went silent after the album, which is a huge miss for someone as amazing of a performer as she is.

And not to bring King B into this but when she released her video album it felt like the next level thing Gaga should've been doing and how much hers was lacking at that point... 

But as someone stated what she's done after has been very remarkable!

Last Edited By: Gospelartist03 Sep 7 16 2:58 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,117 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#50 [url]

Sep 7 16 5:05 AM

mcfan wrote:
The Artpop campaign had more visual than musical mistakes. It's her weird image that made people disconnect, it felt like a tired act at that point. People felt "Applause" was pretentious, but then it turned into a hit in the long run, while the music video was either ignored or trashed for being weird.

She only got it right with the Greek myth imagery in the first part of the "G.U.Y." video, then it was back to being too much. Not to mention the poorly executed album cover.
I agree image had a lot to do with it. It was like up until that point all she had done was try to one-up her weirdness. And that worked initailly. It was that which brought attention to her in the first few years of her career. But by the time she got to this album I think the world collectively rolled its eyes at her and she appeared like she was desperately attention seeking. I really hope that she doesn't go over the top "artsy" Gaga when she has done good work stripping down her image and showing her strength as a proper vocalist lately.

Interesting that the song contains rock elements. Hopefully not trying to recreate BTW smiley: laugh



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#51 [url]

Sep 7 16 5:05 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
Gaga's decline had already started with Born This Way, though. The title track was a hit, but a lot of it was due to hype. The other singles failed to have the impact of the singles off her first 2 albums (she had actually built momentum with The Fame Monster). So, when ArtPop dropped and was even more of a disappointment commercially, it was like a nail in the coffin in a sense.


The rot was starting on BTW for sure. While I enjoyed it, the quality control was going in Team Gaga after the first single off that album. The music videos were getting muddy and stupidly indulgent or just poor quality. Gaga was starting to try too hard and someone should have told her 'no' here or there. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to happen and we ended up with Artpop - all the worst factors building into one horrid result.

Messy. Disconnecting. Forced. Clunky.

I hope the project taught her a lot of lessons. It was a misfire on nearly every level.
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#52 [url]

Sep 7 16 5:08 AM

Gospelartist03 wrote:

And not to bring King B into this but when she released her video album it felt like the next level thing Gaga should've been doing and how much hers was lacking at that point... 

 

Yeah, Gaga could do a good visual album. She's the perfect artist for it. I mean, her Monster Ball tour even had a whole narrative around it from opening song to close.
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

houseofMusiC

Posts: 3,345 You & Me (Eternal)

#53 [url]

Sep 7 16 7:00 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
Gospelartist03 wrote:

And not to bring King B into this but when she released her video album it felt like the next level thing Gaga should've been doing and how much hers was lacking at that point... 

 

Yeah, Gaga could do a good visual album. She's the perfect artist for it. I mean, her Monster Ball tour even had a whole narrative around it from opening song to close.
  
tumblr_mkn4jaGSE91risgq2o2_500.jpg

tumblr_mkn4jaGSE91risgq2o1_500.gif



Quote    Reply   
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,117 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#54 [url]

Sep 7 16 7:03 AM

houseofMusiC wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
Gospelartist03 wrote:

And not to bring King B into this but when she released her video album it felt like the next level thing Gaga should've been doing and how much hers was lacking at that point... 

 

Yeah, Gaga could do a good visual album. She's the perfect artist for it. I mean, her Monster Ball tour even had a whole narrative around it from opening song to close.
  
tumblr_mkn4jaGSE91risgq2o2_500.jpg

tumblr_mkn4jaGSE91risgq2o1_500.gif


But is it art, Eddie?

5116ab11b0c7b0538c885cab7b509ad3.jpg



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
avatar

matty tat tat

Posts: 2,520

Let me speak quietly
So your heart can hear
I will hypnotise and mesmerise u
With the sound of your own fear

#55 [url]

Sep 7 16 7:36 AM

^ lmao I'm looking forward to this song. I hope it's good, and I'd be into a visual album from Gaga... Unlike Beyawnce's.

Like 'Mariah Carey Multimedia Page' on Facebook
(facebook.com/MariahCareyMultimedia)

Subscribe to the MimiMultimedia YouTube Channel
(http://www.youtube.com/user/MimiMultimedia)

Quote    Reply   
avatar

BeyondIdolization

Posts: 26,269

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#56 [url]

Sep 7 16 9:06 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
Gaga's decline had already started with Born This Way, though. The title track was a hit, but a lot of it was due to hype. The other singles failed to have the impact of the singles off her first 2 albums (she had actually built momentum with The Fame Monster). So, when ArtPop dropped and was even more of a disappointment commercially, it was like a nail in the coffin in a sense.


Correct. However, I disagree with those who say it wasn't about the music lacking. For someone who had liked most of her early singles, it was definitely about the music. The BTW and Artflop singles just weren't nearly as good as TF/TFM.


  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,117 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#57 [url]

Sep 7 16 9:21 AM

^Right, the music wasn't a step up, it was a step down. That and people getting over the whole "OMG She's so wacky!" gimmick that worked so well from her at the start was getting only side eyes by that point. Once you perform covered in period blood and go out in a dress made of steak tartare there's not really any further you can go.



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Sep 7 16 10:02 AM

Yes, the music hasn't been as good. I've definitely liked some tracks but overall it wasn't a patch on the first album/TFM and her attitude sucked too. She was talking BTW up like it was the second coming and by the time Artpop came around, her desperation had gone into overdrive calling the album one of, if not the best ever and hyping it up like it was avant garde, which she in turn used as an excuse for why it then flopped. All of that pretentiousness and arrogance on her part ruined her relationship with general music consumers. It isn't all about her little monsters and it was far too early in her career to be catering solely towards her devoted stans, while thinking the rest of us would just lap it up. I think that was the major problem with Artpop.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#59 [url]

Sep 7 16 10:06 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
Gaga's decline had already started with Born This Way, though. The title track was a hit, but a lot of it was due to hype. The other singles failed to have the impact of the singles off her first 2 albums (she had actually built momentum with The Fame Monster). So, when ArtPop dropped and was even more of a disappointment commercially, it was like a nail in the coffin in a sense.


Correct. However, I disagree with those who say it wasn't about the music lacking. For someone who had liked most of her early singles, it was definitely about the music. The BTW and Artflop singles just weren't nearly as good as TF/TFM.


Did you enjoy the musuc more off BTW than Artpop though? I feel like the quality was absolutely on the slide from BTW and then crashed into an almighty mess with Artpop.
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

BeyondIdolization

Posts: 26,269

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#60 [url]

Sep 7 16 10:36 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
Gaga's decline had already started with Born This Way, though. The title track was a hit, but a lot of it was due to hype. The other singles failed to have the impact of the singles off her first 2 albums (she had actually built momentum with The Fame Monster). So, when ArtPop dropped and was even more of a disappointment commercially, it was like a nail in the coffin in a sense.


Correct. However, I disagree with those who say it wasn't about the music lacking. For someone who had liked most of her early singles, it was definitely about the music. The BTW and Artflop singles just weren't nearly as good as TF/TFM.


Did you enjoy the musuc more off BTW than Artpop though? I feel like the quality was absolutely on the slide from BTW and then crashed into an almighty mess with Artpop.
  


BTW was better overall, I did like Judas back then. Artpop was just horrid.


  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help