Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#21 [url]

Mar 2 16 7:54 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I must be watching an entirely different show because I find almost every moment of it riveting. The opening scene in last night's episode with the cop pulling over Johnny Cochran was excellent. I love how they cut to the police car after the scene-- a brilliant commentary on what's still going on today. I'm also living for the performances-- Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clarke is particularly excellent.

Last night's episode was truly great, but also felt like a different show. It had real bite to it and didn't seem like cheesy satire; it seemed genuine. I loved it...but I think it was leagues above the previous episodes. It probably helped that Travolta and Schwimmer were barely in it and that Gooding had limited screen time, and the time he did have required him to be frustrated and prideful more than vulnerable or menacing. I think it also had a clear sense of purpose and a consistent tone, whereas previous episodes have been all over the place.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Mar 2 16 8:36 PM

Ok so I watched the first two episodes, not one. Anyway, ten minutes into a episode three and the things that irk me: Constantly making it obvious how no one knew the Kardashian name and the whole Kardashian angle which I assume will only get worse. Robert Kardashian comes across as pretty obsessed with OJ. Referring to him as only juice or Uncle Juice seems a bit off. John Travolta is awful.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#23 [url]

Mar 2 16 9:29 PM

ShayneFly wrote:
Constantly making it obvious how no one knew the Kardashian name and the whole Kardashian angle which I assume will only get worse. Robert Kardashian comes across as pretty obsessed with OJ. Referring to him as only juice or Uncle Juice seems a bit off. John Travolta is awful.
The Kardashian angle hasn't been truly explored (yet?), but I actually think it could be interesting, depending how they handle it. The OJ Simpson case made celebrities out of "regular people" like Kato Kaelin, Marcia Clark, Johnnie Cochran, etc. A lot of our current 'celebrity culture' and 'reality show' trends can be traced back to this case. The Kardashians can be included to an extent, and considering they are famous now for not really doing a lot, it would be interesting to explore that angle as it relates to the OJ Simpson case. But that's a lot to take on in addition to the case itself and an exploration of racial tension.

And, yes, Travolta is truly terrible. I legit went and watched some interviews with Robert Shapiro to see if dude really was like that, and he doesn't talk anything like Travolta is doing. I seriously don't know what Travolta is going for there, and at this point I tune out any time he is on screen.

All of the "Juice" stuff is annoying and would make for a great drinking game, but apparently people really did call him that. I watched the ESPN 30/30 special on the events of the day of the Bronco chase, and in actual clips from that day you hear multiple people refer to him as "Juice."

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Mar 3 16 12:08 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
ShayneFly wrote:
Constantly making it obvious how no one knew the Kardashian name and the whole Kardashian angle which I assume will only get worse. Robert Kardashian comes across as pretty obsessed with OJ. Referring to him as only juice or Uncle Juice seems a bit off. John Travolta is awful.
The Kardashian angle hasn't been truly explored (yet?), but I actually think it could be interesting, depending how they handle it. The OJ Simpson case made celebrities out of "regular people" like Kato Kaelin, Marcia Clark, Johnnie Cochran, etc. A lot of our current 'celebrity culture' and 'reality show' trends can be traced back to this case. The Kardashians can be included to an extent, and considering they are famous now for not really doing a lot, it would be interesting to explore that angle as it relates to the OJ Simpson case. 
Isn't that exactly what they are showing? I've found all of the swipes at them pretty hilarious, from showing the kids screaming "Kardashian" when they first see their dad on tv for a murder trial, to the scene where Robert tells his kids that friendship is more important than fame. I think they've made very sly social commentary and have been cleverly exploring how much the media became involved-- ie. telling Marcia Clarke that she should dress nicer and look prettier, basically showing that the entire case ended up being based on public perception.

I don't necessarily think there should be any more Kardashian talk-- he clearly wasn't the head lawyer on the case, and I think featuring them on the show any more would look like they were trying to pander to the audience. I'm sure we'll see more of Kris (and definitely more of Faye), but they weren't/aren't the key factors in the case.

Re: Travolta... I've seen a lot of mixed reactions to his performance-- I don't mind it. I haven't watched any interviews with the real Robert Shapiro, so I don't have anything to compare it to- but I think he's convincing. He's definitely made a lot of strong choices, but I'm not put off by it. I think it fits with the feel of the show (and most Ryan Murphy shows): everything is dialed up to the max, entertainment is most important.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#27 [url]

Mar 3 16 12:53 AM

jamiclever wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
ShayneFly wrote:
The Kardashian angle hasn't been truly explored (yet?), but I actually think it could be interesting, depending how they handle it. The OJ Simpson case made celebrities out of "regular people" like Kato Kaelin, Marcia Clark, Johnnie Cochran, etc. A lot of our current 'celebrity culture' and 'reality show' trends can be traced back to this case. The Kardashians can be included to an extent, and considering they are famous now for not really doing a lot, it would be interesting to explore that angle as it relates to the OJ Simpson case. 
Isn't that exactly what they are showing? I've found all of the swipes at them pretty hilarious, from showing the kids screaming "Kardashian" when they first see their dad on tv for a murder trial, to the scene where Robert tells his kids that friendship is more important than fame. I think they've made very sly social commentary and have been cleverly exploring how much the media became involved-- ie. telling Marcia Clarke that she should dress nicer and look prettier, basically showing that the entire case ended up being based on public perception.

I don't necessarily think there should be any more Kardashian talk-- he clearly wasn't the head lawyer on the case, and I think featuring them on the show any more would look like they were trying to pander to the audience. I'm sure we'll see more of Kris (and definitely more of Faye), but they weren't/aren't the key factors in the case.

Re: Travolta... I've seen a lot of mixed reactions to his performance-- I don't mind it. I haven't watched any interviews with the real Robert Shapiro, so I don't have anything to compare it to- but I think he's convincing. He's definitely made a lot of strong choices, but I'm not put off by it. I think it fits with the feel of the show (and most Ryan Murphy shows): everything is dialed up to the max, entertainment is most important.

They've obviously had some asides to the fame stuff, but that to me isn't the same as exploring it. Like I said, I don't know what all they will ultimately get into, though. To me, at this point the Kardashian stuff feels a bit extraneous and like they just wanted to throw them in; it doesn't feel like an organic part of the story. It may become a larger part of the story. We'll see.

Mixed reactions to Travolta? Where have you seen positive ones? smiley: laugh I think the only one I've seen anywhere is you in this thread. Seriously. I know Murphy's stuff is usually over-the-top and sort of corny, but to me that doesn't fit this subject matter at all. Two people were brutally murdered, and the likely murderer went free due to racial tension in the U.S. What part of that calls for hammy acting? Last night's episode really was good/powerful, and I can't imagine how much Travolta would have distracted from it had he been a larger presence in the episode. I guess that's more my point; to me he doesn't fit the tone of the series at all. The Travolta/Schwimmer/Kardashian stuff feels like it exists on a whole other show from the Marcia Clark/Johnnie Cochran/racial tension stuff. And I definitely prefer the latter stuff.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#28 [url]

Mar 3 16 5:00 AM

ShayneFly wrote:
I watched the first episode the other night and found it pretty boring. I don't think I can ever see David Schwimmer as a serious actor, especially with that fake tan and hair. It's all very midday movie to me.

I agree. It's like a B-movie. The Jonnie Cochran and Marcia Clark actors are great, but then Travolta and Schwimmer are awful.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Mar 3 16 9:13 AM

^Definitely.

Just a thought that - maybe it's the American's who are finding it more intriguing because it was such a huge moment there. Internationally, maybe it's just not that interesting to us - even if it was a blockbuster movie.

Agreed on the Cochran and Clark characters. They're very good.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#30 [url]

Mar 3 16 9:30 AM

ShayneFly wrote:

Just a thought that - maybe it's the American's who are finding it more intriguing because it was such a huge moment there. Internationally, maybe it's just not that interesting to us - even if it was a blockbuster movie.

I was excited about the series because I remember hearing about the murders as a kid, and then I had read a bit about it as an adult. So for me it's not that, it's more the B quality as well as the pacing- I really don't see the need for ten episodes. It should've been a mini series.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Mar 4 16 6:08 PM

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/04/us/oj-simpson-property-knife/index.html

Now-retired officer reportedly given knife in '90s

Los Angeles police said Friday they are examining what's been described as a knife 
reportedly found at the estate that once belonged to the former football great who became a movie star.

"The actual item is described as a knife. I'm not going to go into the description of the knife because 
that could be germane to determining whether or not this actual piece of evidence is in fact evidence 
or is just a facsimile or a made up story," Los Angeles police Capt. Andy Neiman said.

Police learned within the last month that an ex-Los Angeles traffic officer received the item from a 
construction worker who found it "back in the 90s," possibly when the estate was being demolished, Neiman said.

It is being examined for forensics -- including DNA and hairs -- at a lab, he said.

The now-retired officer who had the knife "held onto it until just recently," and authorities 
"discovered he had it" within the last month, Neiman said.

The construction worker told the officer he had found the knife on the former Simpson property, 
according to Neiman.

Neiman said he is not sure whether the officer had left the force at the time.

He was then working off duty on a "movie" job, according to Neiman. 
The officer retired in the late 1990s, he said.

Whoever found the object should contact police, Neiman told reporters.

Neiman said he didn't know why the ex-officer waited so long to turn it over to police.

"I don't know what the circumstances are, why that didn't happen or if that's entirely accurate or 
if this whole story is possibly bogus from the get-go," he said.

The officer possibly held onto it in the mistaken belief that the case was closed, Neiman said.

CNN legal analyst Danny Cevallos said a knife could be tested for hair or blood but, with the 
passing of time, "it's going to be a difficult test because this stuff is probably degraded significantly 
by being buried in the soil."

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#34 [url]

Mar 9 16 9:49 AM

After a shaky first half, the OJ Simpson mini-series has really brought it the last 2 episodes. Last night's episode was an interesting look into Marcia Clark, but more so the pressures put on working mothers. Clark was in the middle of custody issues as the trial was going on, and she was in a no-win situation when it came to work vs getting home for her kids. Clark was also very scrutinized for her looks. Paulson deserves an Emmy for her reaction to Ito's remark about her new haircut alone.

Last Edited By: MisplacedValidity Mar 9 16 10:15 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#35 [url]

Apr 2 16 10:27 AM

“You put me on this trial because you wanted a black face but the truth is you never wanted a black voice”...This series has turned out to be really good (and relevant) except when Travolta is on screen. It's like he didn't get the memo on what kind of series was being made.

Quote    Reply   

Stamos

#36 [url]

Apr 2 16 6:04 PM

Agreed, The last couple of episodes are really good story wise. Sarah Paulson is doing a great job as Marcia but I have a hard time relating Cuba to OJ though.
Travolta is simply horrible. He shouldn't have been casted in the first place.

~~MCinGR  for the nostalgia ~~

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#37 [url]

Apr 3 16 2:01 PM

Paulson, Brown, and Vance are truly incredible. I hope all 3 win Emmys.

Yeah Gooding is weak, too, but I don't even feel like he's been in most of the recent episodes. He's definitely taken a back seat to some of the others. I'm good with that.

Quote    Reply   

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#38 [url]

Jul 9 16 12:18 AM

The new five-part ESPN 30 for 30, OJ: Made in America is fantastic btw and a lot better (and broader) than this series.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help