Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 4 16 12:55 PM

Tags : :

Anyone watch this? It was SO good. The performances were terrific (Cuba Gooding Jr, Sarah Paulson, and Courtney B Vance in particular really impressed me) and the story is still riveting, even though we know pretty much everything that happens. It's really sad to see that, 20 years later, we are still having the same race issues that we were having back then. Hopefully this show will open up even more of a dialogue about what's going on in our culture and how we can fix it.

I was living for Connie Britton and Selma Blair as Faye and Kris-- especially Britton, who has already given Faye a strung-out, villain-esque  stamp. 

Can't wait for episode 2!

Last Edited By: jamiclever Feb 4 16 5:18 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#3 [url]

Feb 5 16 12:05 AM

I'm DVRing them all so I can binge watch, but I'm a little skeptical since it's a Ryan Murphy project. He isn't writing it, though, so there's hope.

Quote    Reply   

matty tat tat

Let me speak quietly
So your heart can hear
I will hypnotise and mesmerise u
With the sound of your own fear

#4 [url]

Feb 5 16 5:52 AM

I don't know much about the OJ case except that he killed his wife and got off ( or did he I really can't remember) but I don't know any backstory or anything which is why when it's mentioned in RHOBH I'm clueless lol. So I'll definitely check this out.

Like 'Mariah Carey Multimedia Page' on Facebook
(facebook.com/MariahCareyMultimedia)

Subscribe to the MimiMultimedia YouTube Channel
(http://www.youtube.com/user/MimiMultimedia)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 5 16 12:02 PM

The first episode was really good. Great casting. I will def be watching the entire season.

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#6 [url]

Feb 5 16 9:53 PM

matty tat tat wrote:
I don't know much about the OJ case except that he killed his wife and got off ( or did he I really can't remember) but I don't know any backstory or anything which is why when it's mentioned in RHOBH I'm clueless lol. So I'll definitely check this out.
What I think is most interesting about the case - and is something I presume is being explored in this mini-series - is that it was really the lightning rod in the U.S. where celebrity and media are concerned. From the White Bronco chase to every part of his trial being aired on TV, this is when the U.S. really crossed the line into "reality TV" and voyeuristic journalism. It's also a case that touched on issues of race, privilege/money, domestic abuse, and police misconduct. It's so ripe for a mini-series, and there's probably more than even 10 episodes can get into.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#7 [url]

Feb 6 16 3:19 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
matty tat tat wrote:
What I think is most interesting about the case - and is something I presume is being explored in this mini-series - is that it was really the lightning rod in the U.S. where celebrity and media are concerned. From the White Bronco chase to every part of his trial being aired on TV, this is when the U.S. really crossed the line into "reality TV" and voyeuristic journalism. It's also a case that touched on issues of race, privilege/money, domestic abuse, and police misconduct. It's so ripe for a mini-series, and there's probably more than even 10 episodes can get into.

The whole thing was a disgrace. A vindictive black jury that completely let emotion get in the way of logical thinking. Do I understand where the vindictiveness came from? Yes, but to set a murderer free because of it is just disgusting.

Quote    Reply   

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#8 [url]

Feb 8 16 6:09 PM

I haven't seen this but I want to. I read that it's a fictional-take on the case tho? Is that so? I remember seeing a commercial for it where the Kardashian's are at a dinner table having a discussion and I can't remember what was said exactly (John Travolta's character was the only one speaking) but it didn't sound like a conversation the writers were told about, more like they came up with it.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#9 [url]

Feb 8 16 6:24 PM

^It's fictional, but judging from the first episode the key points are all factual. I've read quite a bit about the case/investigation and I didn't see anything that isn't on record. Of course there will be dialogue that has to be written and embellished based on what we know actually took place.

Quote    Reply   

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#10 [url]

Feb 8 16 6:37 PM

Ok, I see. can't wait to watch it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11 [url]

Feb 21 16 9:29 PM

I watched the first episode. It was kind of weird how much of it I remembered since it's been so long. Obviously a lot of the racial tension shown in the first episode still exists. And being reminded of all of the evidence that was present straight away (inconsistencies in OJ's story, the gloves, the blood, the previous beatings of Nicole) is startling when you go back to him being found not guilty. There are obviously a lot of reasons for that, though.

The weakest part of the entire thing for me was John Travolta. What exactly is he doing?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 29 16 1:24 PM

This is my favorite show on television at the moment. I know people are divided on Travolta's performance, but I'm kind of loving it. Each character is being played to the most heightened possible, and he definitely gets closest to going over the edge, but I think he's fun to watch.

Connie Britton's Faye Resnick is hilarious. I cannot believe how terrible the show makes her look and if that was really how it all went down. Spilling all of these sex secrets about your "best friend" for a book... Wow, Camille was dead on with her MCFR comment. Disgusting.

Love all the Kardashian references too. The opening scene of episode 3 is absolutely priceless: "Remember kids, friendship is way more important than fame." DED.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#13 [url]

Mar 2 16 8:19 AM

I've watched these four first episodes and I'm kind of bored tbh. Imo ten episodes is WAY too much, they should've condensed it to like four episodes total. There are too many scenes that are too similar in content and dialogue. I noticed that the most recent episode has lost TWO million viewers compared to the premiere- I can see why. The only reason I would tune in now is to see more of MCFR, those scenes were pretty funny.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#14 [url]

Mar 2 16 11:50 AM

I skipped last week's episode just saw episode 5. The jurors visited his house?!?! I don't remember that at all, and more so how often does that happen in trials? Wow.

I don't know how real some of the dialogue is, but I assume at least the court scenes are fairly accurate since there are transcripts? Anyway it bugged me to no end that Cochran went on the rant about how insulting it was to the intelligence of black people that they wouldn't be able to look past the n word yet then he remodeled OJ's house to look more black for the jurors. Hypocritical much? But at least this episode feels really relevant to issues going on in our country right now. The opening scene of Cochran getting pulled over with his daughters in the car was riveting.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 2 16 7:22 PM

I watched the first episode the other night and found it pretty boring. I don't think I can ever see David Schwimmer as a serious actor, especially with that fake tan and hair. It's all very midday movie to me.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Mar 2 16 7:26 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
I skipped last week's episode just saw episode 5. The jurors visited his house?!?! I don't remember that at all, and more so how often does that happen in trials? Wow.

I don't know how real some of the dialogue is, but I assume at least the court scenes are fairly accurate since there are transcripts? Anyway it bugged me to no end that Cochran went on the rant about how insulting it was to the intelligence of black people that they wouldn't be able to look past the n word yet then he remodeled OJ's house to look more black for the jurors. Hypocritical much? But at least this episode feels really relevant to issues going on in our country right now. The opening scene of Cochran getting pulled over with his daughters in the car was riveting.

I don't think this all that uncommon. I watched a US documentary called The Staircase and the jurors went to the scene of the crime (accused and victim's home). I guess it depends on the prosecution or defence's plan to sway the jury and the type of crime committed.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#17 [url]

Mar 2 16 7:30 PM

^ I need to see The Staircase. I've read good things. Anyway, visiting just seems like a big use of time and money. And if the way this show portrayed it is true, people have the ability to change things to portray what they want. That seems unfair.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Mar 2 16 7:38 PM

I just had a quick read and it seems it is most common in serial killer cases for jurors to visit the crime scene. However, I also read that jurors on the Phil Spector case visited his home. He welcomed them at the front door. That seems pretty unusual.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Mar 2 16 7:40 PM

I must be watching an entirely different show because I find almost every moment of it riveting. The opening scene in last night's episode with the cop pulling over Johnny Cochran was excellent. I love how they cut to the police car after the scene-- a brilliant commentary on what's still going on today. I'm also living for the performances-- Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clarke is particularly excellent.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Mar 2 16 7:44 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I must be watching an entirely different show because I find almost every moment of it riveting. The opening scene in last night's episode with the cop pulling over Johnny Cochran was excellent. I love how they cut to the police car after the scene-- a brilliant commentary on what's still going on today. I'm also living for the performances-- Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clarke is particularly excellent.

I'm downloading episodes 2 & 3 now. Mainly because I'm packing and moving and looking for an excuse not to. Let's see if it's worth it smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help