Remove this ad

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#41 [url]

Jan 26 16 6:36 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
The Academy isn't diverse at all, but that is the symptom more than the problem. "Hollywood" isn't diverse. There are few minority directors, and even fewer female directors. The studio execs are predominantly white males, and they make movies with and for white males. It extends out to writers and producers as well. The Academy draws its voting members from these groups, so of course the Academy is full of white males. Change needs to happen all around, not just with the Oscars.

No, I don't buy any of this. There are 6,000 Members in the Academy. There are well over 6000 minorities that have participated in the production of a theatrically released motion picture over the course of the past 20 years. Why can't 1000 members be minority?

All it takes is a policy change in how the Academy retains member and who can be members. We don't need more minorities working in Hollywood in order for the Academy to have a more diverse member body, that is just an excuse. They just need to let more minorities in.
 I mean, I look at that statistic about directors; of 305 films, only 3% were directed by minorities and women. Are you saying invite those 9 (and they may already be members anyway) but exclude others who may have a more extensive body of work?

so only directors can be members? no. Members can come from all aspects of the movie making process. Actors, an actors representative, casting directors, costume designers, editors, make-up artists, hair-stylist, musicians, even those involved with the public relations of a movie and many other areas of a theatrical film.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#42 [url]

Jan 30 16 11:19 PM

esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:

No, I don't buy any of this. There are 6,000 Members in the Academy. There are well over 6000 minorities that have participated in the production of a theatrically released motion picture over the course of the past 20 years. Why can't 1000 members be minority?

All it takes is a policy change in how the Academy retains member and who can be members. We don't need more minorities working in Hollywood in order for the Academy to have a more diverse member body, that is just an excuse. They just need to let more minorities in.
 I mean, I look at that statistic about directors; of 305 films, only 3% were directed by minorities and women. Are you saying invite those 9 (and they may already be members anyway) but exclude others who may have a more extensive body of work?

so only directors can be members? no. Members can come from all aspects of the movie making process. Actors, an actors representative, casting directors, costume designers, editors, make-up artists, hair-stylist, musicians, even those involved with the public relations of a movie and many other areas of a theatrical film.
Yes, but the Academy is broken into branches. In terms of the nominations, only actors vote for actors, directors for directors, etc. My point is that to get into the voting branch, you have to have eligible work and also get an invitation. If there aren't minority and female directors getting work, it means they aren't even eligible to be a member of the Academy.

Anyway, the SAG Awards were tonight. Spotlight won Ensemble, Leo won Actor, Brie won Actress (!), Idria Elba won Supp Actor, and Alicia Vikander won Supporting Actress.
In terms of the Oscars this seals the wins for Leo, Brie, and Vikander. Since Rylance couldn't win Supporting Actor here without Stallone as competition, it likely means Stallone is a lock for the Oscar. Spotlight winning Ensemble means Best Picture is still between it and The Big Short (which won the Producers Guild).

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#43 [url]

Feb 11 16 11:49 AM

Wow. Meryl Streep has really lost my respect. She's heading up the all-white jury at the Berlin Film Festival and defended it by saying, "We're all Africans, really." She also said, "This jury is evidence that at least women are included and in fact dominate this jury, and that's an unusual situation in bodies of people who make decisions." So, she's the poster child for white feminism.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#48 [url]

Feb 29 16 12:02 AM

Better Midler reading the Oscars:

Bette Midler ✔ ‎@BetteMidler
The Oscars are today! You know, the awards show where Leonardo DiCaprio is "overdue" but black people can "wait till next year."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#49 [url]

Feb 29 16 1:14 AM

Brie Larson!!!

Thankfully The Revenant didn't win Picture. More than that I'm glad I never have to hear again how 87 year-old Leo doesn't have an Oscar.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#51 [url]

Feb 29 16 10:00 AM

It would have been nice of Chris Rock to mention minorities in general, and not just black actors. When the nominees are all white it excludes more than just black people.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#52 [url]

Feb 29 16 11:44 AM

This was seriously just a terribly produced awards show. There were sound issues (with the ultimate irony of course being when the sound cut out during the sound awards), sloppy camera work, two songs not even performed, and shortened acceptance speeches (despite Louis CK and others being allowed to ramble on in their intros)...and the show ran an hour long. WTF?

Quote    Reply   

rooney1905

#53 [url]

Feb 29 16 9:25 PM

nizarnoor wrote:
So Leo finally won an Oscar. I'm glad. But I thought Eddie Redmayne did a stellar job as well.
I haven't seen Spotlight yet. Is it any good?

I thought Spotlight was brilliant. Great pacing. One of the best movies I saw in the past year for sure.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jun 30 16 1:29 AM

Academy invites largest, most diverse class of new members ever

41 percent of the invitees are people of color; 46 percent are women

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the largest and most diverse class of new members in its 89-year history, with John Boyega, Eva Mendes, Oscar Isaac, Emma Watson, James Wan, and Lana and Lilly Wachowski among the 683 invitees.

The group underscores the academy’s ongoing efforts to broaden its ranks — which have historically been overwhelmingly white, male, and older — in the wake of the #OscarsSoWhite controversy that erupted earlier this year when no actors of color were nominated for Oscars (for the second year in a row). The controversy prompted the academy to drastically overhaul its membership rules and goals.

The new class is more than double last year’s 322 invitees, and the academy highlighted the group’s diversity in an announcement Wednesday. Forty-six percent of the new members are female, and 41 percent are people of color. Those numbers are enough to bring the overall makeup of the 7,000-plus-member organization up to 27 percent female (from 25 percent) and 11 percent people of color (from 8 percent).

The new class also includes 283 international members from 59 countries, while the group’s ages range from 24 to 91.

Other invitees include actors Brie Larson, Idris Elba, Carmen Ejogo, America Ferrera, Freida Pinto, and Michael B. Jordan; writers Tina Fey, Abi Morgan, Takeshi Kitano, and O’Shea “Ice Cube” Jackson (also invited as an actor); and directors Cary Joji Fukunaga, Ryan Coogler (also selected as a writer), Lexi Alexander, Xavier Dolan, and Ana Lily Amirpour. Individuals invited to multiple branches, as in the case of Coogler and Jackson, must choose one group upon accepting their membership.

“This class continues our long-term commitment to welcoming extraordinary talent reflective of those working in film today,” Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs said in the announcement. “We encourage the larger creative community to open its doors wider, and create opportunities for anyone interested in working in this incredible and storied industry.”

You can find all the invitees here:

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#56 [url]

Jun 30 16 9:54 AM

Yeah that news was great. It seems like they really took it seriously. Most of the new directing members are female, and most of the new acting members are minorities. Well done.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help