Remove this ad

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#21 [url]

Jan 15 16 6:08 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
What does any of that have to do with his performance?

In terms of remembering lines, he barely has any lines in the film.

But yeah, he's campaigning hard by selling this story to everyone and people are talking about what all he went through. A producer or someone has already come out and said Leo has oversold some things that happened and it wasn't as bad as he's made it out to be (he didn't sleep in an actual carcass, for instance) smiley: roll Why not give Bear Grylls an Oscar since he's always out doing this kind of thing?
I was merely telling Mario about an article I read because he mentioned Leonardo. I wasn't saying that because of that he should be the winner. But I do think his performance in the movie was nomination worthy. And the director himself referred to the whole filming process as a great challenge and gruesome, so I doubt he's oversold anything. Filming almost an entire movie in freezing weather says enough. And how do you know he did not sleep in a carcass? This unnamed 'producer or someone' told you?

So, you are allowed to use the claims of the director to say it was a gruesome and challenging process, but i can't use the claims of a producer to say it has been oversold? That seems contradictory.

Well the director is a known source. 'Producer or someone' sounds fishy, it seems like a name should be connected (we clearly know the directors name). And when a name can't attributed to a supposed quote I then question the source and the motives for the comment.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

esettle0

#22 [url]

Jan 15 16 6:16 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

Since moving to the max of 10 pictures, I don't know that they've ever filled it out with 10.
of course they have. it was 10 for a couple years, then 9 for a couple years, then this year and last it was only 8. I just think if your gonna have 10 slots, fill it up, cause there has def been 10 films this year worthy of a best film nomination (and Mad Max is not one of them).

I get the whole voting process, but I think it's a lame voting process and needs to be restructured.

Not quite. In 2009 - for the awards held in 2010 - it was announced there would be 10 nominees. That was a set number. Then in 2011 it was changed to where there could be 5-10 nominees. Nominees have to earn at least 5% of 1st place votes (though that's the simplified explanation). The first 3 years of that process there were 9 nominees. Last year and this year there were 8 nominees. I don't think there have ever been 10 nominees under the current system.

That's separate from whether it's a good system, of course.
There were 10 nominees for Best Picture in 2011.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#23 [url]

Jan 15 16 6:26 PM

esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
I was merely telling Mario about an article I read because he mentioned Leonardo. I wasn't saying that because of that he should be the winner. But I do think his performance in the movie was nomination worthy. And the director himself referred to the whole filming process as a great challenge and gruesome, so I doubt he's oversold anything. Filming almost an entire movie in freezing weather says enough. And how do you know he did not sleep in a carcass? This unnamed 'producer or someone' told you?

So, you are allowed to use the claims of the director to say it was a gruesome and challenging process, but i can't use the claims of a producer to say it has been oversold? That seems contradictory.

Well the director is a known source. 'Producer or someone' sounds fishy, it seems like a name should be connected (we clearly know the directors name). And when a name can't attributed to a supposed quote I then question the source and the motives for the comment.

Oh, that was due to me not remembering, though now I remember it was a producer. It was on The Hollywood Reporter roundtable I watched. They had producers from various Oscar contenders. The one on there for The Revenant mentioned Leo overstating some things.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#24 [url]

Jan 15 16 6:32 PM

esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:And then comparing the mispronunciation of a difficult to pronounce name to the Academy deeming only whites worthy of recognition for the past year is.... I can't know what to say. As if pronouncing a name correctly or not has any impact on diversity in Hollywood.

The idea that a white person(s) is not recognizing blacks because they choose to recognize those that look like themselves is racist imo.

There are plenty of black awards shows that primarily recognize blacks, but these shows were created because we as a race had to. If we didn't recognize ourselves, we would not get recognized.
My point is that someone communicating support for diversity should know how to pronounce the names of friggin' nominees. There is outrage (justifiably) when people make fun of the names of minorities or find them hard to pronounce, so why is it ok for Isaacs to not care?

I don't get your point. I don't see the connection in supporting diversity and mis-pronouncing a minorities name. One is a mistake, and the other is a very important matter. I've never heard of or seen 'outrage' over someone finding a minorities name hard to pronounce. And I doubt Issacs was offended but rather ecstatic that he was nominated again. I hear minority names get butchered all the time at the doctors office when the nurse calls someone back and he/she can't pronounce the name. Most people are understanding and can tell when someone is making fun of their name or just made a mistake.

Really? I feel like I read about it a lot:

Regardless, Isaacs was announcing the name of an Oscar nominee who won last year. The Academy president not knowing how to pronounce someone's name like that is shameful.

Quote    Reply   

matty tat tat

Let me speak quietly
So your heart can hear
I will hypnotise and mesmerise u
With the sound of your own fear

#25 [url]

Jan 19 16 7:44 AM

Ahh Star Wars: The Force Awakens should have been nominated for best picture and Harrison Ford for best supporting actor 😝

Like 'Mariah Carey Multimedia Page' on Facebook
(facebook.com/MariahCareyMultimedia)

Subscribe to the MimiMultimedia YouTube Channel
(http://www.youtube.com/user/MimiMultimedia)

Quote    Reply   

Stamos

#26 [url]

Jan 19 16 11:28 AM

Academy President Releases Official Statement Regarding Lack of Diversity at Oscars: 'I Am Both Heartbroken and Frustrated'

Oscar Nominations 2016: Academy President Addresses Lack of Diversity
GETTY

01/18/2016 AT 10:35 PM EST

The "disappointed" Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs has released an official statement in regards to the lack of diversity represented at this year'sAcademy Awards

The conversation about non-white actors getting shut out of the Oscar nominations is being addressed for the second year in a row amid the #OscarsSoWhite controversy and news of Jada Pinkett Smith and Spike Leerefusing to attend this year's awards ceremony. 

"I'd like to acknowledge the wonderful work of this year's nominees. While we celebrate their extraordinary achievements, I am both heartbroken and frustrated about the lack of inclusion," Boone Isaacs wrote. "This is a difficult but important conversation, and it's time for big changes. The Academy is taking dramatic steps to alter the makeup of our membership." 

In fact, Isaacs issued a promise for change starting with the members of the Academy. "In the coming days and weeks we will conduct a review of our membership recruitment in order to bring about much-needed diversity in our 2016 class and beyond," she said. 

The Oscars class of 2016 is once again solely composed of white actors and actresses, despite the Academy taking steps to address diversity. 

"As many of you know, we have implemented changes to diversify our membership in the last four years. But the change is not coming as fast as we would like. We need to do more, and better and more quickly," Boone Isaacs continued. 

"This isn't unprecedented for the Academy. In the '60s and '70s it was about recruiting younger members to stay vital and relevant. In 2016, the mandate is inclusion in all of its facets: gender, race, ethnicity and sexual orientation." 

A day after the nominations were announced, host Chris Rock took a jab at the Oscars, calling the awards show "the White BET Awards." 

In her statement, Boone Isaacs concluded, "We recognize the very real concerns of our community, and I so appreciate all of you who have reached out to me in our effort to move forward together."

http://www.people.com/article/oscars-2016-cheryl-boone-isaacs-lack-of-diversity

~~MCinGR  for the nostalgia ~~

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jan 19 16 10:36 PM

The original Aunt Viv has a message for Will and Jada

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

esettle0

#28 [url]

Jan 22 16 10:30 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
My point is that someone communicating support for diversity should know how to pronounce the names of friggin' nominees. There is outrage (justifiably) when people make fun of the names of minorities or find them hard to pronounce, so why is it ok for Isaacs to not care?

I don't get your point. I don't see the connection in supporting diversity and mis-pronouncing a minorities name. One is a mistake, and the other is a very important matter. I've never heard of or seen 'outrage' over someone finding a minorities name hard to pronounce. And I doubt Issacs was offended but rather ecstatic that he was nominated again. I hear minority names get butchered all the time at the doctors office when the nurse calls someone back and he/she can't pronounce the name. Most people are understanding and can tell when someone is making fun of their name or just made a mistake.

Really? I feel like I read about it a lot:

Regardless, Isaacs was announcing the name of an Oscar nominee who won last year. The Academy president not knowing how to pronounce someone's name like that is shameful.

I'm not here for you goggling articles you never read before merely to support ur point.

Donald Trumps views on Muslims are shameful. Ariana Grande voicing her hate for America is shameful. Tommy Mottola telling Irv Gotti to make a song with Ja Rule and J. Lo after hearing Loverboy and If We is shameful. Mispronouncing a complicated name is not shameful.

Quote    Reply   

esettle0

#30 [url]

Jan 22 16 10:48 AM

So according to this clip above from Wendy there are 6000 Academy members, 94% are white, and of that 94%, 76% are male.... And the average age is 63.

So basically old white men pick all the nominees and winners

A simple solution would be to make the Academy more diverse, HELLO! But racism will make that pretty much an impossible task.

It's funny how all these white men overlook black actresses year after year, but managed to give Monique an Oscar for playing an ignorant woman who degrades her black daughter smh.

Last Edited By: esettle0 Jan 22 16 11:03 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#31 [url]

Jan 22 16 11:11 AM

The Academy isn't diverse at all, but that is the symptom more than the problem. "Hollywood" isn't diverse. There are few minority directors, and even fewer female directors. The studio execs are predominantly white males, and they make movies with and for white males. It extends out to writers and producers as well. The Academy draws its voting members from these groups, so of course the Academy is full of white males. Change needs to happen all around, not just with the Oscars.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#32 [url]

Jan 22 16 5:43 PM

Ok the Academy has announced some changes, and they are terrific:
http://variety.com/2016/film/awards/oscars-diversity-academy-emergency-meeting-1201685630/
This statistic gets to what I was saying about the problem being bigger than the Oscars:

Out of 305 eligible films, only a handful were made by directors of racial minority; only a few were directed by women.

There just aren't enough films made by minorities and women, which is a problem that happens before we get to the Oscars.

Quote    Reply   

esettle0

#33 [url]

Jan 22 16 8:58 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
The Academy isn't diverse at all, but that is the symptom more than the problem. "Hollywood" isn't diverse. There are few minority directors, and even fewer female directors. The studio execs are predominantly white males, and they make movies with and for white males. It extends out to writers and producers as well. The Academy draws its voting members from these groups, so of course the Academy is full of white males. Change needs to happen all around, not just with the Oscars.

No, I don't buy any of this. There are 6,000 Members in the Academy. There are well over 6000 minorities that have participated in the production of a theatrically released motion picture over the course of the past 20 years. Why can't 1000 members be minority?

All it takes is a policy change in how the Academy retains member and who can be members. We don't need more minorities working in Hollywood in order for the Academy to have a more diverse member body, that is just an excuse. They just need to let more minorities in.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#34 [url]

Jan 22 16 11:32 PM

esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

No, I don't buy any of this. There are 6,000 Members in the Academy. There are well over 6000 minorities that have participated in the production of a theatrically released motion picture over the course of the past 20 years. Why can't 1000 members be minority?

All it takes is a policy change in how the Academy retains member and who can be members. We don't need more minorities working in Hollywood in order for the Academy to have a more diverse member body, that is just an excuse. They just need to let more minorities in.
Because the Academy membership is based on things like work output, being associated with current members, and having been nominated.

And to be honest, I'm not sure there are 6000 minorities that have been involved in movies. I mean, maybe if you are talking about really small credits, but to that extent it would take away from the prestigiousness of being in the Academy. I mean, I look at that statistic about directors; of 305 films, only 3% were directed by minorities and women. Are you saying invite those 9 (and they may already be members anyway) but exclude others who may have a more extensive body of work?

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#35 [url]

Jan 23 16 12:45 AM

Did y'all hear about 2-time Oscar winner Michael Caine telling minorities to "be patient" when it comes to awards? Exactly how long does he expect minorities to wait? Charlotte Rampling - a nominee this year - said the controversy is racist to whites These people...

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#36 [url]

Jan 23 16 9:49 AM

Viola Davis:

"The problem is not with the Oscars, the problem is with the Hollywood movie-making system,” the two-time Oscar nominee told Entertainment Tonight.

“How many black films are being produced every year? How are they being distributed? The films that are being made, are the big-time producers thinking outside of the box in terms of how to cast the role?” Viola continued. “Can you cast a black woman in that role? Can you cast a black man in that role?”

“The problem isn’t even our pay,” she added. “You could probably line up all the A-list black actresses out there [and] they probably don’t make what one A-list white woman makes in one film. That’s the problem. You can change the Academy, but if there are no black films being produced, what is there to vote for?”

Viola was asked if she will be attending this year's show and she said she won't be as she will be on vacation. She also said it should be Chris Rock's choice if he wants to host still, not celebs who think he should step down.

“Like I said, the Oscars are not really the issue,” Viola said. “It’s a symptom of a much greater disease. But if he does, I hope he takes it as an opportunity to make a statement, a social statement about change. It’s 2016.”

She makes a good point. Even with these changes from the Academy, it'll still be hard for blacks and other minorities to get in the committee

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#37 [url]

Jan 23 16 10:15 AM

mcfan wrote:
Viola Davis:

"The problem is not with the Oscars, the problem is with the Hollywood movie-making system,” the two-time Oscar nominee told Entertainment Tonight.

“How many black films are being produced every year? How are they being distributed? The films that are being made, are the big-time producers thinking outside of the box in terms of how to cast the role?” Viola continued. “Can you cast a black woman in that role? Can you cast a black man in that role?”

“The problem isn’t even our pay,” she added. “You could probably line up all the A-list black actresses out there [and] they probably don’t make what one A-list white woman makes in one film. That’s the problem. You can change the Academy, but if there are no black films being produced, what is there to vote for?”

Viola was asked if she will be attending this year's show and she said she won't be as she will be on vacation. She also said it should be Chris Rock's choice if he wants to host still, not celebs who think he should step down.

“Like I said, the Oscars are not really the issue,” Viola said. “It’s a symptom of a much greater disease. But if he does, I hope he takes it as an opportunity to make a statement, a social statement about change. It’s 2016.”

She makes a good point. Even with these changes from the Academy, it'll still be hard for blacks and other minorities to get in the committee

This is what I have been saying throughout this thread.

One thing that is bothersome to me about Viola Davis' statements there, though, as well as those by Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett-Smith is that they have only focused on black people. The problem is much larger than that. The same issues apply to Asians, Latin Americans, LGBTQQIAAP artists, and of course females. I think part of the reason there is such heated debate on the issue right now is that is has become a black/white issue when it should be a much broader discussion.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jan 25 16 12:36 AM

Having 10% more minority voting members isn't going to change anything only money will. Viola Davis released a nice statement about this. And I saw Creed and sorry that was nothing Oscar worthy about that film. Jennifer Lawrence's nom is odd. Marion was AMAZING in Macbeth yet she didn't get a nom

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#39 [url]

Jan 25 16 10:32 AM

Mariahcareyfan123456 wrote:
Having 10% more minority voting members isn't going to change anything only money will. Viola Davis released a nice statement about this. And I saw Creed and sorry that was nothing Oscar worthy about that film. Jennifer Lawrence's nom is odd. Marion was AMAZING in Macbeth yet she didn't get a nom frown.gif

Actually 10% could make a difference because of how the voting for Academy works (i.e. 1st place votes).

Having said that, what do you all think is an acceptable/appropriate % of non-white male voters?

Quote    Reply   

esettle0

#40 [url]

Jan 26 16 6:28 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

Because the Academy membership is based on things like work output, being associated with current members, and having been nominated.

Clearly, but it doesn't have to be like that. Its like that to keep non-whites out.

Last Edited By: esettle0 Jan 26 16 6:38 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help