Remove this ad

avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802

He bites the metaphorical carrot.

Lead

Jan 14 16 5:03 PM

Tags : :

The Oscar nominations came out today, and The Revenant led with 12 noms. I find that a bit surprising as reviews have been good, but not exactly great. Here are nominees for the major categories:

Best Picture
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

The surprise here is that Carol and Straight Outta Compton weren't nominated. Of course stories about straight white men were nominated. I'm happy that Room got in!

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Micheal Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

No surprises here. Leonardo DiCaprio is certainly on his way to his first win.

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

No real surprise here either. At this point Brie Larson seems like the front runner (yeah!).

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge Of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

This was the most wide open category going into today. Unfortunately the minority actor with the best shot at a nomination - Idris Elba - didn't get in. Mark Rylance has swept most of the critics awards, but Stallone has a good narrative and won the Globe. Stallone wasn't even nominated by SAG or BAFTA, though, so this is a bit of a toss up.

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

This category also seems like a toss up at this point. Once some more awards are handed out, we should get a clearer picture.

Directing
The Big Short
Mad Max
The Revenant
Room
Tom McCarthy

The biggest surprise here is that Ridley Scott wasn't nominated. Many thought he could win for The Martian. I'm happy the director of Room made it in. I wish Adam McKay had been dropped.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad
avatar

LikePhoenixFromTheAshes

Posts: 13,633 My Mind Rebels At Stagnation

#3 [url]

Jan 15 16 6:07 AM

I don't want Leo to win. He might even deserve it, I haven't seen the film. But I hate that he is trying so hard. He is definitely the new Tom Hanks, choosing projects for that purpose. I don't like his acting in general.

Actually I hate the Oscars in general. I won't list the reasons, anyone with a brain knows them.



Quote    Reply   
avatar

Stamos

Posts: 4,742 Las cosas se van a poner locas!

#4 [url]

Jan 15 16 6:12 AM

Don't know about Best Picture, there are 2 or 3 movies that deserve it imo, but I would love it if Spotlight got it.
As for lead actor, I'm guessing Leo will get it this year.
Jennifer Lawrence or Brie Larson would be my pick for best actress




~~MCinGR  for the nostalgia ~~






Quote    Reply   
avatar

Nike

Posts: 12,158 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#6 [url]

Jan 15 16 10:02 AM

I hope Jennifer Lawrence won. She shines through the tv movie

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#7 [url]

Jan 15 16 11:52 AM

The love for Lawrence's "acting" continues to baffle me. I still think her best work is in The Hunger Games. Her performances in some of her other movies have her playing characters for which she is just too young. Yes, she has a commanding screen presence, but that's different from good acting.

If someone has seen Room and thinks Lawrence deserves the Oscar over Larson, then I really can't understand them.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#8 [url]

Jan 15 16 3:13 PM

mcfan wrote:
#OscarsSoWhite trending on Twitter
slashfilm.com said it best:

Creed received a single Oscar nomination and, to be fair, it’s a well-deserved one: Best Supporting Actor for Sylvester Stallone. However, it’s hard to believe that this critically beloved crowdpleaser was shut out everywhere else. Considering just how downright caucasian this year’s nominees are, it speaks to a larger problem. It’s a bummer that Creed didn’t get a nod for Best Picture, but it somehow hurts more to see Michael B. Jordan shut out in Best Actor and Ryan Coogler not nominated for Best Director. Perhaps this would sting less if Idris Elba hadn’t also been ignored for Beasts of No NationSamuel L. Jackson hadn’t been snubbed for The Hateful Eight, or if anyone involved in Straight Outta Compton (aside from the white screenwriters) received a nomination.


In a year filled with tremendous acting and filmmaking from people of color, this Oscar line-up is filled almost entirely with white people. The only minority artist nominated for anything in a major category is The Revenant director Alejandro González Iñárritu. You could say that it’s not the Academy Awards’ job to spread diversity, but it would also be downright foolish to say that the only performances worthy of recognition came from white people. That’s patently untrue and represents a narrow worldview from a voting body who has always been more than a little old fashioned racist. Let’s just go ahead and say what we’re all thinking: this is kind of %%*!*$ up.

But this is nothing new. They'll throw a black person a bone here and there but for the most part this is an award show to celebrate whites in Hollywood. But as person that watches a lot movies, I often have seen the movies nominated and enjoyed a lot of them, so I have people/movies that I am rooting for, even if my color is not represented.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#9 [url]

Jan 15 16 3:27 PM

mcfan wrote:
For some reason I think Leonardo won't win. I was discussing this with my friends earlier today.

He's the only one that nearly died while filming his movie lol. I read an article that said EMT had to be there for the bulk of the shoot because he spent most of the time fighting hypothermia. I really enjoyed the movie, but gained a whole new respect for him as an actor when I read his Wired magazine interview where he talks about how cold it was, and him having to constantly go in and out of freezing lakes and then act... while freezing and wet. I mean pay me millions and I'll go in and out of a freezing lake as much as you want, but don't expect me to act and remember lines and do it very well lol. He said it was the hardest thing he ever did in his life, and while I know he's rallying for his Oscar win, I believe him.

Eddie Redmayne is his biggest competition imo. He slayed in The Danish Girl.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#10 [url]

Jan 15 16 3:31 PM

esettle0 wrote:
mcfan wrote:
#OscarsSoWhite trending on Twitter
slashfilm.com said it best:

Creed received a single Oscar nomination and, to be fair, it’s a well-deserved one: Best Supporting Actor for Sylvester Stallone. However, it’s hard to believe that this critically beloved crowdpleaser was shut out everywhere else. Considering just how downright caucasian this year’s nominees are, it speaks to a larger problem. It’s a bummer that Creed didn’t get a nod for Best Picture, but it somehow hurts more to see Michael B. Jordan shut out in Best Actor and Ryan Coogler not nominated for Best Director. Perhaps this would sting less if Idris Elba hadn’t also been ignored for Beasts of No NationSamuel L. Jackson hadn’t been snubbed for The Hateful Eight, or if anyone involved in Straight Outta Compton (aside from the white screenwriters) received a nomination.


In a year filled with tremendous acting and filmmaking from people of color, this Oscar line-up is filled almost entirely with white people. The only minority artist nominated for anything in a major category is The Revenant director Alejandro González Iñárritu. You could say that it’s not the Academy Awards’ job to spread diversity, but it would also be downright foolish to say that the only performances worthy of recognition came from white people. That’s patently untrue and represents a narrow worldview from a voting body who has always been more than a little old fashioned racist. Let’s just go ahead and say what we’re all thinking: this is kind of %%*!*$ up.

But this is nothing new. They'll throw a black person a bone here and there but for the most part this is an award show to celebrate whites in Hollywood. But as person that watches a lot movies, I often have seen the movies nominated and enjoyed a lot of them, so I have people/movies that I am rooting for, even if my color is not represented.


It's such a complex issue, in some ways. I have loved Michael B Jordan since he was on Friday Night Lights and would have loved to see him nominated, but he was never fully in the conversation. To compare him to Sylvester Stallone - a long-time veteran with a comeback narrative who is competing in a different category - is a bit short-sighted because it doesn't really delve into how the Oscar process works. There are also plenty of white people who got snubbed - Ridley Scott being a prime example. There is so much that goes into voting.

Obviously we need more diversity in all areas of "Hollywood" (studio execs, directors, writers, producers, and actors). What that tells you, though, is that people tend to make movies and like movies by people similar to them. In other words, the assumption is that more minorities in "Hollywood" would mean more movies by and about minorities. With that logic, a voting body that is largely white - as the Academy is - will of course vote for movies and actors that look like them. If 90% of the Academy were black, I bet most of the nominees would be black. Obviously that isn't the case and diversity needs to be increased; I just hesitate to use "racist" (not that anyone here has) in regards to what is going on. I'm not sure it's that overt.

I thought it was also f*cked up that the president of the Academy - who is black - butchered Innaritu's name when she was announcing it as one of the nominated producers for The Revenant. How can she tout trying to increase diversity when she can't even bother to learn to pronounce the lone minority's name (and who won on Oscar last year)?!?!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#11 [url]

Jan 15 16 3:34 PM

esettle0 wrote:
mcfan wrote:
For some reason I think Leonardo won't win. I was discussing this with my friends earlier today.

He's the only one that nearly died while filming his movie lol. I read an article that said EMT had to be there for the bulk of the shoot because he spent most of the time fighting hypothermia. I really enjoyed the movie, but gained a whole new respect for him as an actor when I read his Wired magazine interview where he talks about how cold it was, and him having to constantly go in and out of freezing lakes and then act... while freezing and wet. I mean pay me millions and I'll go in and out of a freezing lake as much as you want, but don't expect me to act and remember lines and do it very well lol. He said it was the hardest thing he ever did in his life, and while I know he's rallying for his Oscar win, I believe him.
What does any of that have to do with his performance?

In terms of remembering lines, he barely has any lines in the film.

But yeah, he's campaigning hard by selling this story to everyone and people are talking about what all he went through. A producer or someone has already come out and said Leo has oversold some things that happened and it wasn't as bad as he's made it out to be (he didn't sleep in an actual carcass, for instance) smiley: roll Why not give Bear Grylls an Oscar since he's always out doing this kind of thing?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#12 [url]

Jan 15 16 3:34 PM

And how lame is it that the only filled 8 of 10 open spots for Best Picture? Beasts Of No Nation and Carol should have def been in there.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#13 [url]

Jan 15 16 3:39 PM

esettle0 wrote:
And how lame is it that the only filled 8 of 10 open spots for Best Picture? Beasts Of No Nation and Carol should have def been in there.

Since moving to the max of 10 pictures, I don't know that they've ever filled it out with 10. That's because of the voting; it's all about 1st place votes. A movie could literally be #2 on every ballot and still not get into Best Picture. That's another thing to keep in mind about the acting nominees; Idria Elba could have been on a lot of ballots but just wasn't #1 on many of them.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#14 [url]

Jan 15 16 4:10 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
mcfan wrote:
#OscarsSoWhite trending on Twitter
slashfilm.com said it best:

Creed received a single Oscar nomination and, to be fair, it’s a well-deserved one: Best Supporting Actor for Sylvester Stallone. However, it’s hard to believe that this critically beloved crowdpleaser was shut out everywhere else. Considering just how downright caucasian this year’s nominees are, it speaks to a larger problem. It’s a bummer that Creed didn’t get a nod for Best Picture, but it somehow hurts more to see Michael B. Jordan shut out in Best Actor and Ryan Coogler not nominated for Best Director. Perhaps this would sting less if Idris Elba hadn’t also been ignored for Beasts of No NationSamuel L. Jackson hadn’t been snubbed for The Hateful Eight, or if anyone involved in Straight Outta Compton (aside from the white screenwriters) received a nomination.


In a year filled with tremendous acting and filmmaking from people of color, this Oscar line-up is filled almost entirely with white people. The only minority artist nominated for anything in a major category is The Revenant director Alejandro González Iñárritu. You could say that it’s not the Academy Awards’ job to spread diversity, but it would also be downright foolish to say that the only performances worthy of recognition came from white people. That’s patently untrue and represents a narrow worldview from a voting body who has always been more than a little old fashioned racist. Let’s just go ahead and say what we’re all thinking: this is kind of %%*!*$ up.

But this is nothing new. They'll throw a black person a bone here and there but for the most part this is an award show to celebrate whites in Hollywood. But as person that watches a lot movies, I often have seen the movies nominated and enjoyed a lot of them, so I have people/movies that I am rooting for, even if my color is not represented.


It's such a complex issue, in some ways. I have loved Michael B Jordan since he was on Friday Night Lights and would have loved to see him nominated, but he was never fully in the conversation. To compare him to Sylvester Stallone - a long-time veteran with a comeback narrative who is competing in a different category - is a bit short-sighted because it doesn't really delve into how the Oscar process works. There are also plenty of white people who got snubbed - Ridley Scott being a prime example. There is so much that goes into voting.

Obviously we need more diversity in all areas of "Hollywood" (studio execs, directors, writers, producers, and actors). What that tells you, though, is that people tend to make movies and like movies by people similar to them. In other words, the assumption is that more minorities in "Hollywood" would mean more movies by and about minorities. With that logic, a voting body that is largely white - as the Academy is - will of course vote for movies and actors that look like them. If 90% of the Academy were black, I bet most of the nominees would be black. Obviously that isn't the case and diversity needs to be increased; I just hesitate to use "racist" (not that anyone here has) in regards to what is going on. I'm not sure it's that overt.

I thought it was also f*cked up that the president of the Academy - who is black - butchered Innaritu's name when she was announcing it as one of the nominated producers for The Revenant. How can she tout trying to increase diversity when she can't even bother to learn to pronounce the lone minority's name (and who won on Oscar last year)?!?!
I just knew while making my post that you'd comment and justify the lack of blacks nominated. And then comparing the mispronunciation of a difficult to pronounce name to the Academy deeming only whites worthy of recognition for the past year is.... I can't know what to say. As if pronouncing a name correctly or not has any impact on diversity in Hollywood.

And I used the term racist (I scratched out old fashioned and entered racist in the article I quoted). It is racist. People of all colors complain every year about the lack of diversity in the nominations and they don't care, they continue to primarily only recognize whites and don't care what the world thinks. 90% of the academy is white, and that is never gonna change. And that 90% will continue to primarily recognize whites. The idea that a white person(s) is not recognizing blacks because they choose to recognize those that look like themselves is racist imo.

There are plenty of black awards shows that primarily recognize blacks, but these shows were created because we as a race had to. If we didn't recognize ourselves, we would not get recognized.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#15 [url]

Jan 15 16 4:24 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
mcfan wrote:
For some reason I think Leonardo won't win. I was discussing this with my friends earlier today.

He's the only one that nearly died while filming his movie lol. I read an article that said EMT had to be there for the bulk of the shoot because he spent most of the time fighting hypothermia. I really enjoyed the movie, but gained a whole new respect for him as an actor when I read his Wired magazine interview where he talks about how cold it was, and him having to constantly go in and out of freezing lakes and then act... while freezing and wet. I mean pay me millions and I'll go in and out of a freezing lake as much as you want, but don't expect me to act and remember lines and do it very well lol. He said it was the hardest thing he ever did in his life, and while I know he's rallying for his Oscar win, I believe him.
What does any of that have to do with his performance?

In terms of remembering lines, he barely has any lines in the film.

But yeah, he's campaigning hard by selling this story to everyone and people are talking about what all he went through. A producer or someone has already come out and said Leo has oversold some things that happened and it wasn't as bad as he's made it out to be (he didn't sleep in an actual carcass, for instance) smiley: roll Why not give Bear Grylls an Oscar since he's always out doing this kind of thing?
I was merely telling Mario about an article I read because he mentioned Leonardo. I wasn't saying that because of that he should be the winner. But I do think his performance in the movie was nomination worthy. And the director himself referred to the whole filming process as a great challenge and gruesome, so I doubt he's oversold anything. Filming almost an entire movie in freezing weather says enough. And how do you know he did not sleep in a carcass? This unnamed 'producer or someone' told you?

And I was not aware that Bear Grylls acted in movies.



Quote    Reply   
avatar

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#16 [url]

Jan 15 16 4:38 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
And how lame is it that the only filled 8 of 10 open spots for Best Picture? Beasts Of No Nation and Carol should have def been in there.

Since moving to the max of 10 pictures, I don't know that they've ever filled it out with 10.
of course they have. it was 10 for a couple years, then 9 for a couple years, then this year and last it was only 8. I just think if your gonna have 10 slots, fill it up, cause there has def been 10 films this year worthy of a best film nomination (and Mad Max is not one of them).

I get the whole voting process, but I think it's a lame voting process and needs to be restructured.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#17 [url]

Jan 15 16 5:50 PM

esettle0 wrote:And then comparing the mispronunciation of a difficult to pronounce name to the Academy deeming only whites worthy of recognition for the past year is.... I can't know what to say. As if pronouncing a name correctly or not has any impact on diversity in Hollywood.

The idea that a white person(s) is not recognizing blacks because they choose to recognize those that look like themselves is racist imo.

There are plenty of black awards shows that primarily recognize blacks, but these shows were created because we as a race had to. If we didn't recognize ourselves, we would not get recognized.
My point is that someone communicating support for diversity should know how to pronounce the names of friggin' nominees. There is outrage (justifiably) when people make fun of the names of minorities or find them hard to pronounce, so why is it ok for Isaacs to not care?

Do you think it's ok in a general sense if black people mostly recognize other black people? And I don't ask that in the sense of the Image Awards and the like. I agree those are necessary because as you said, there would not be recognition otherwise. I mean it as a general question.

My point was never to justify any white washing. I definitely think the lack of minorities in Hollywood - and I mean that in a lot of ways - is troublesome. I just find it troubling it always comes out during the Oscars when the problems show much earlier and run much deeper than the Oscars. The fact that we can really only name maybe 4-5 performances by minorities that even merit Oscar consideration this year is a huge issue. The fact that females are asked to direct few-to-no major releases is an issue.

Last Edited By: MisplacedValidity Jan 15 16 5:58 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#18 [url]

Jan 15 16 5:52 PM

esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:

He's the only one that nearly died while filming his movie lol. I read an article that said EMT had to be there for the bulk of the shoot because he spent most of the time fighting hypothermia. I really enjoyed the movie, but gained a whole new respect for him as an actor when I read his Wired magazine interview where he talks about how cold it was, and him having to constantly go in and out of freezing lakes and then act... while freezing and wet. I mean pay me millions and I'll go in and out of a freezing lake as much as you want, but don't expect me to act and remember lines and do it very well lol. He said it was the hardest thing he ever did in his life, and while I know he's rallying for his Oscar win, I believe him.
What does any of that have to do with his performance?

In terms of remembering lines, he barely has any lines in the film.

But yeah, he's campaigning hard by selling this story to everyone and people are talking about what all he went through. A producer or someone has already come out and said Leo has oversold some things that happened and it wasn't as bad as he's made it out to be (he didn't sleep in an actual carcass, for instance) smiley: roll Why not give Bear Grylls an Oscar since he's always out doing this kind of thing?
I was merely telling Mario about an article I read because he mentioned Leonardo. I wasn't saying that because of that he should be the winner. But I do think his performance in the movie was nomination worthy. And the director himself referred to the whole filming process as a great challenge and gruesome, so I doubt he's oversold anything. Filming almost an entire movie in freezing weather says enough. And how do you know he did not sleep in a carcass? This unnamed 'producer or someone' told you?


So, you are allowed to use the claims of the director to say it was a gruesome and challenging process, but i can't use the claims of a producer to say it has been oversold? That seems contradictory.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#19 [url]

Jan 15 16 5:56 PM

esettle0 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
And how lame is it that the only filled 8 of 10 open spots for Best Picture? Beasts Of No Nation and Carol should have def been in there.

Since moving to the max of 10 pictures, I don't know that they've ever filled it out with 10.
of course they have. it was 10 for a couple years, then 9 for a couple years, then this year and last it was only 8. I just think if your gonna have 10 slots, fill it up, cause there has def been 10 films this year worthy of a best film nomination (and Mad Max is not one of them).

I get the whole voting process, but I think it's a lame voting process and needs to be restructured.

Not quite. In 2009 - for the awards held in 2010 - it was announced there would be 10 nominees. That was a set number. Then in 2011 it was changed to where there could be 5-10 nominees. Nominees have to earn at least 5% of 1st place votes (though that's the simplified explanation). The first 3 years of that process there were 9 nominees. Last year and this year there were 8 nominees. I don't think there have ever been 10 nominees under the current system.

That's separate from whether it's a good system, of course.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#20 [url]

Jan 15 16 6:04 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
esettle0 wrote:And then comparing the mispronunciation of a difficult to pronounce name to the Academy deeming only whites worthy of recognition for the past year is.... I can't know what to say. As if pronouncing a name correctly or not has any impact on diversity in Hollywood.

The idea that a white person(s) is not recognizing blacks because they choose to recognize those that look like themselves is racist imo.

There are plenty of black awards shows that primarily recognize blacks, but these shows were created because we as a race had to. If we didn't recognize ourselves, we would not get recognized.
My point is that someone communicating support for diversity should know how to pronounce the names of friggin' nominees. There is outrage (justifiably) when people make fun of the names of minorities or find them hard to pronounce, so why is it ok for Isaacs to not care?


I don't get your point. I don't see the connection in supporting diversity and mis-pronouncing a minorities name. One is a mistake, and the other is a very important matter. I've never heard of or seen 'outrage' over someone finding a minorities name hard to pronounce. And I doubt Issacs was offended but rather ecstatic that he was nominated again. I hear minority names get butchered all the time at the doctors office when the nurse calls someone back and he/she can't pronounce the name. Most people are understanding and can tell when someone is making fun of their name or just made a mistake.

Do you think it's ok in a general sense if black people mostly recognize other black people?

I feel like that question is too broad, it depends on who the black person is, and what they are recognizing the black person(s) for. So I guess my answer is, it depends.


Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help