Remove this ad

avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,114 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#381 [url]

Sep 26 16 3:44 AM

Did Into You really only peak at 13 in the US and 14 in the UK? I hear the song a lot I assumed it did better.



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,705

#Beautiful

#382 [url]

Sep 26 16 7:53 AM

breakbreakdown wrote:
How is Side to Side doing ? And Into You, flopped?
"Into You" underperformed. "Side to Side" is too soon to tell.

  
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#383 [url]

Sep 26 16 9:07 AM

mcfan wrote:
breakbreakdown wrote:
How is Side to Side doing ? And Into You, flopped?
"Into You" underperformed. "Side to Side" is too soon to tell.



Didn't Dangerous Woman also start to oddly rebound around when Into You was doing its thing? I wish it hadn't. Into You was a far better song.

  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,114 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#384 [url]

Sep 26 16 9:14 AM

Dangerous Woman got to 8 in the US (17 in the UK). Honestly for "music's next big thing" none of these numbers are particularly impressive. If Into You can't be a smash for her then I'm not sure what can.



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#385 [url]

Sep 26 16 9:32 AM

Kevon wrote:
 If Into You can't be a smash for her then I'm not sure what can.

Unfortunately, yes. Into You was met with such positive reception and it really didn't become the hit it deserved. Its not a good omen. 
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

Posts: 39,802 He bites the metaphorical carrot.

#386 [url]

Sep 26 16 10:15 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
breakbreakdown wrote:
How is Side to Side doing ? And Into You, flopped?
"Into You" underperformed. "Side to Side" is too soon to tell.


Didn't Dangerous Woman also start to oddly rebound around when Into You was doing its thing? I wish it hadn't. Into You was a far better song.


Yeah I do think the second wind of "DW" ate into the hype "IY" had been gaining.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

kittykow105

Posts: 10,149 B!tch, don't kill my vibe...

#387 [url]

Sep 26 16 10:22 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
Kevon wrote:
 If Into You can't be a smash for her then I'm not sure what can.

Unfortunately, yes. Into You was met with such positive reception and it really didn't become the hit it deserved. Its not a good omen. 
  

The video was trash, so I know that didn't help give it any type of boost.  And they released it while "Dangerous Woman" was still climbing the charts.  It didn't bode well for her.  She recently re-hired Scooter Braun, probably to help manage her next project do better.  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,705

#Beautiful

#388 [url]

Sep 26 16 10:48 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
breakbreakdown wrote:
How is Side to Side doing ? And Into You, flopped?
"Into You" underperformed. "Side to Side" is too soon to tell.

Didn't Dangerous Woman also start to oddly rebound around when Into You was doing its thing? I wish it hadn't. Into You was a far better song.


Yes, DW started having a second wind at radio. However, "Into You" was also discounted on iTunes for a couple weeks and it never really took off anyway. It chugged along with average streaming and sales. 

She also didn't really promote it the way she's promoting "Side to Side" (she's already done multiple performances for it and an early iTunes discount). They seem to follow this severe pattern of a new single every 12 weeks, despite their slow radio performance. They end up overlapping and killing each others. 

  
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,705

#Beautiful

#389 [url]

Sep 26 16 10:59 AM

Kevon wrote:
Dangerous Woman got to 8 in the US (17 in the UK). Honestly for "music's next big thing" none of these numbers are particularly impressive. If Into You can't be a smash for her then I'm not sure what can.
She hasn't really recovered from "Focus" flopping. Radio moves slower with her and her sales aren't popping like they did before. 

This album was supposed to bring her to that next level and instead they chose a riskier lead single that only got it to a slow start. I doubt she'll even sell 500k before the end of the year (it's at 236k sold)

  
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#390 [url]

Sep 26 16 3:11 PM

mcfan wrote:
Kevon wrote:
Dangerous Woman got to 8 in the US (17 in the UK). Honestly for "music's next big thing" none of these numbers are particularly impressive. If Into You can't be a smash for her then I'm not sure what can.

This album was supposed to bring her to that next level and instead they chose a riskier lead single that only got it to a slow start.

Agreed. Dangerous Woman was just an odd choice if the plan was to kick her off into the pop stratosphere this year. Into You would have been a much more explosive lead. Its a bonafide pop bop and felt like a really good transition single from the likes of Problem, One Last Time and Break Free. Dangerous Woman was like "huh?". It simply wasn't kinetic enough. 
  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

rooney1905

Posts: 1,353 Chillin' at FOMM

#392 [url]

Sep 26 16 6:55 PM

Into You definitely is the bop. Something about her though is just so boring. She has had some good songs in the past but i don't think SHE ever really connected with the public. Then you throw in the image issues and her attitude and it really does seem like the second coming of Aguilera. Shame because she is talented but doesn't quite have the x-factor in my eyes.

Quote    Reply   

#393 [url]

Sep 27 16 12:34 AM

Shame about Into You, it's her 2nd best single (after Problem). It had SMASH written all over it. I honestly didn't think it would flop when she released it. Of course we can all assume it was:


1. Donutgate
2. Lead single Focus tanking
3. Dangerous Woman still getting attention

But what a waste of a great song. Too bad.

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."


Quote    Reply   
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,114 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#394 [url]

Sep 27 16 4:40 AM

Yeah I wonder if her image has something to do with it. I don't think she is regarded very highly - I think largely due to her being painted as some brat so early on in her career. To the average person she appears like someone who has jumped the gun in terms of developing a diva attitude.



Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

#395 [url]

Sep 27 16 11:02 AM

Kevon wrote:
Yeah I wonder if her image has something to do with it. I don't think she is regarded very highly - I think largely due to her being painted as some brat so early on in her career. To the average person she appears like someone who has jumped the gun in terms of developing a diva attitude.

I'm starting to think so. I think people have caught on to Ariana's "Clowntina-attitude" even quicker then they caught on to Clowntina. 

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."


Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#396 [url]

Sep 27 16 11:24 AM

seanjonmc wrote:
Shame about Into You, it's her 2nd best single (after Problem). It had SMASH written all over it. I honestly didn't think it would flop when she released it. Of course we can all assume it was:

1. Donutgate
2. Lead single Focus tanking
3. Dangerous Woman still getting attention

But what a waste of a great song. Too bad.

It is a shame. Into You deserved so much better.
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Kevon

Administrator

Posts: 40,114 'Showing receipts and offering seats'

#397 [url]

Sep 27 16 11:26 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:
Shame about Into You, it's her 2nd best single (after Problem). It had SMASH written all over it. I honestly didn't think it would flop when she released it. Of course we can all assume it was:

1. Donutgate
2. Lead single Focus tanking
3. Dangerous Woman still getting attention

But what a waste of a great song. Too bad.

It is a shame. Into You deserved so much better a better artist to sing it
  




Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

#398 [url]

Sep 27 16 1:38 PM

Into You is my favorite songs of hers ever and definitely should have been the lead single. If there's one thing her and her team SHOULD copy from Mariah, it's her single release strategy (at least for most of her career)-- first release the uptempo smash, and then release a ballad/midtempo.

I agree she just doesn't have that much star power. She's cute and has a great voice, but there isn't anything memorable about her.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,331 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#399 [url]

Sep 27 16 3:02 PM

jamiclever wrote:


I agree she just doesn't have that much star power. She's cute and has a great voice, but there isn't anything memorable about her.

The voice is there for me but I think personality is the issue, both in her voice and in her onscreen presence. Its too vacant. That's why Into You got a positive reception, because it actually had some bite and personality coming from it. I guess that's why Side By Side is also a decent next single choice. That weird accent she's putting on at least lets it stand out as a little more memorable and less beige.  
  

Quote    Reply   

#400 [url]

Sep 27 16 6:21 PM

I think it has a lot to do with her antics, both public and private. There have been stories for years (back to her early Nickelodeon days) that she was horrible to work with. As we have seen with Christina, that can really shut doors--especially when it occurs early in one's career. I really don't think that stating that she hates America and Americans won over many fans, either.

Into You is a cute song and all, but I'm glad it flopped she's a flop. Girl, bye.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help