Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#341 [url]

Jun 10 16 3:58 AM

^It lacks any kind of depth or richness to it. Yes she can do runs and belt but when you listen compared to Mariah and Whitney her voice sounds paper thin. I don't get the fuss - I guess we are just so starved for talent these days that someone who sounds halfway decent comes along and it's a big deal.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

kittykow105

#342 [url]

Jun 10 16 10:41 AM

Halfway decent? I couldn't disagree more. While Ariana is no Mariah or Whitney, she has still proven herself to have a beautiful voice. I don't know any pop singers out right now that could sing a beautiful ballad like "Moonlight" or "Just A Little Bit of Your Heart."

I do think her voice sits very high and agree that her voice isn't as rich as Toni Braxton's, for example. That can definitely annoy some people (along with her diction). I just think that Mariah fans are super critical and if no one compared Ariana to her, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Quote    Reply   

#344 [url]

Jun 10 16 12:35 PM

I think Ariana's voice is amazing. Is she on Mariah/Whitney level? No, but just because you're not one of the "best ever" doesn't mean you aren't incredible. I definitely prefer her voice to Christina or Leona or pretty much any other Mariah-wannabe (except Kelly).

Quote    Reply   

sainttropez

#345 [url]

Jun 10 16 12:56 PM

Mariah, Whitney, had the whole package - voice, looks, iconic songs, iconic performances, sales, hype.

Ariana is like a Jessie J to me. In terms of vocal, sure both can sing. Will they have the longevity Mariah shades these newer singers with.... Neither singers have yet to wow me with a song or live performance. We are starved musically, but at the same time oversaturated with singers/wannabes and songs.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#346 [url]

Jun 10 16 1:20 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I think Ariana's voice is amazing. Is she on Mariah/Whitney level? No, but just because you're not one of the "best ever" doesn't mean you aren't incredible. I definitely prefer her voice to Christina or Leona or pretty much any other Mariah-wannabe (except Kelly).

In a technical sense Grande is certainly above someone like Katy Perry or even Demi Lovato. As has been said, that doesn't mean she's on the level of Mariah or Whitney, but among current relevant singers, she is certainly near the top in terms of technical ability. That's basically just fact. I'd put her up there with Beyonce. That doesn't mean Grande's timbre is pleasing or that her diction is great, it just means in terms of her vocal range and other technical aspects she is one of the strongest making hits.

Christina Aguilera hasn't been a relevant singer in at least a decade, and Leona Lewis basically only has 1 hit in the U.S. How has she been holding up in Europe? Kelly Clarkson is inconsistent in her output (i.e. she isn't seen as totally relevant/popular). All of that is to say I am not sure they are relevant comparisons for Grande.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#349 [url]

Jun 10 16 6:37 PM

kittykow105 wrote:
Halfway decent? I couldn't disagree more. While Ariana is no Mariah or Whitney, she has still proven herself to have a beautiful voice. I don't know any pop singers out right now that could sing a beautiful ballad like "Moonlight" or "Just A Little Bit of Your Heart." 

I agree, I find it insane to say Arianna hasn't got a good voice. I think its beautiful and actually pleasant to listen to (albeit with flaws). As good as Whitney or Mariah? No. But they were the apex. There is no shame in coming second to that.  

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#350 [url]

Jun 10 16 6:40 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I think Ariana's voice is amazing. Is she on Mariah/Whitney level? No, but just because you're not one of the "best ever" doesn't mean you aren't incredible.

This is what I mean. Coming second place to artists who had it all does not make you blessed with a good vocal ability.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#351 [url]

Jun 10 16 6:46 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
sainttropez wrote:
^ up there with Queen B....

R
U
Kidding
Me.....

In a technical sense, what can Beyonce do that Grande cannot?

I'm not sure I'd put Beyoncé in the Grande category either. Beyoncé has a fantastically serviceable voice but the reverb effects on mics to the slight foghorn, grunty delivery on powerful vocals (Sandcastles being a recent example) demonstrate a lack of greater and stronger vocal delivery when required. Beyoncé is more Tina Turner than Mariah or Whitney. A unique, almost gruff tone that isn't predominately aping big female diva singers and actually has more of a more male swagger to it.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#352 [url]

Jun 10 16 9:43 PM

It's weird how "Dangerous Woman" has been taking off lately, especially since "Into You" had just been launched. I hope it doesn't keep the latter from making an impact.

Quote    Reply   

breakbreakdown

#353 [url]

Jun 11 16 1:57 PM

Ariana has a nice timbre and powerhouse vocals. But every average good karaoke singer can reach that. I was listening closely to her album and I've realized it's the good songs that make her stand out not the voice or the ability to sing itself. For instance, I think Kelly Clarkson at hear peak had a much richer voice. If you listen closely to Because Of You, you can pinpoint several little details of her voice. It's really a treat. Like Mariah's was in her Daydream/Butterfly era's. Toni Braxton is another good example. And to me that will always be the problem with the "next Mariah"'s - they sound like powerhouse singers, they have the maneirisms, the looks, but they just lack something. That's why I don't understand why some people get dramatically baffled about this type of comments. Just because you can belt that doesn't mean you are memorable or up to certain legends. It's not like a biased stan talk/opinion I think.

Quote    Reply   

breakbreakdown

#354 [url]

Jun 11 16 2:05 PM

Someone mentioned Beyoncé above. I admit her voice is a though one to judge. I think she's one of the rare cases where her vocal output gets better and better with time. Like port wine. She can sing with emotion. She knows how to deliver, even though her technique or timbre aren't like up to the previously mentioned standards. Maybe she's faking it like hell, who knows, but there's something distinctive about her vocal performances. I admit it's hard to judge her impartially because you are always impacted as a whole - visuals, dance, persona, legend status... But there are quite few recent examples where she really took the songs to the next level. Something about how she grabs a song, feel it, wraps it and throw it to you in a effortlessly way that only her can do.

Quote    Reply   

#355 [url]

Aug 4 16 2:53 AM

Excellent a cappella of Into You

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#356 [url]

Aug 4 16 5:24 AM

^ Yeah, that was excellent. Although it was obviously recorded someone with great acoustics, she sounds great. Unlike a lot younger female artists, I find her voice so pretty and pleasant to listen to.

Quote    Reply   

#357 [url]

Aug 4 16 12:57 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
^ Yeah, that was excellent. Although it was obviously recorded someone with great acoustics, she sounds great. Unlike a lot younger female artists, I find her voice so pretty and pleasant to listen to.

She did that for Dangerous Woman, and it's smart of her/her team to do these a cappella versions. She's proving she's got the talent of a real singer, not just another cute face with a contract. And her voice is very pretty IMO, so much better than Clowntina.

Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#358 [url]

Aug 4 16 1:21 PM

With all that reverb and echo, I'd be surprised if she sounded like sh*t.

YAS make that "Touch My Body" reference loud and clear boo.

Quote    Reply   

#359 [url]

Aug 4 16 1:47 PM

^Touch My Body line is easily the best part of the song. I LOVE IT!

Entertainment Weekly mentioned it before:

Ariana Grande, “Into You”

“Ari gives what seems like a nod to Mariah—’A little more touch my body!’—and absolutely slays her vocals on this summer smash.” —Jeremiah J. Silva, Music and Talent Booker, Late Night With Seth Meyers

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/31/song-summer-2016

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#360 [url]

Aug 5 16 5:42 AM

seanjonmc wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

She did that for Dangerous Woman, and it's smart of her/her team to do these a cappella versions. She's proving she's got the talent of a real singer, not just another cute face with a contract. And her voice is very pretty IMO, so much better than Clowntina.

The enjoyment factor for me of listening to Ariana versus Christina is like night and day. That whole shouty as technique just isn't pleasant on my ears. There is just something infinitely more enjoyable about listening to a singer like Ariana. I love singers who have floaty, melodic tones to their voices.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help