Remove this ad

breakbreakdown

#721 [url]

Aug 29 16 5:36 PM

^I agree with you. It feels like it's politically correct to hand this bunch of awards to her. I had the same feeling towards Alicia Keys back in the late 00's. But then again if she is up to receive a bunch of awards, it should be definitely the VMA's, since the visuals/video made Lemonade a "hit"... or memorable. Maybe a Grammy for the minishort film or whatever film category. Or a Tony. Everything else would be clearly a stretch.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#722 [url]

Aug 29 16 5:49 PM

jamiclever wrote:
So, obviously Beyonce's performance skills are amazing-- but, I dunno- I was little bored during her performance

I have to say, yes, I was a little bit too. On the surface, you couldn't fault it. She's just got a ridiculous stage presence but it was basically the same Beyoncé formula that we've seen and praised to death - whip the hair, look fierce and pussypop with conviction. Not at all bad but I felt like I'd see it all before.  

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#723 [url]

Aug 30 16 1:16 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
jamiclever wrote:
So, obviously Beyonce's performance skills are amazing-- but, I dunno- I was little bored during her performance

I have to say, yes, I was a little bit too. On the surface, you couldn't fault it. She's just got a ridiculous stage presence but it was basically the same Beyoncé formula that we've seen and praised to death - whip the hair, look fierce and pussypop with conviction. Not at all bad but I felt like I'd see it all before.  

That's what she's been doing for her entire career pretty much. smiley: tired

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#724 [url]

Aug 30 16 3:04 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
Hakeem wrote:
So watching Beyoncé be on top of the world at the VMAs made me want to revisit this question which manu of us has asked here before. Why do you think Beyoncé has been able to consistently maintain her massive young mainstream appeal while Mariah hasn't? If you think about it, Beyoncé started in 97 (just 7 years after Mariah). For me it has to do with Mariah's unidimensionality. She has always been all about the voice, and lacked in a lot of other aspects (i.e. dancing and overall performance). There's also her reluctance to leave her music niche (R&B) and even in that genre, I can't imagine her doing edgy more current urban stuff like Rihanna or Beyoncé. What do you all think?

Apples and oranges. Beyoncé didn't become super famous as 'Beyonce the superstar' until 2003, she only now released her sixth album. Mariah's 8th album Rainbow sold more than most of B's albums. B will have her time when she becomes uncool too, it happens with every artist. No one is at the top forever.
Right, pointless comparison. If we look solely at age, which is probably a large defining factor in someone's relevance (it becomes much harder to stay on the radio when you hit 40 especially if you are a female), when Mariah was Beyonce's age she was just about to start off the TEOM era. If Beyonce is still smashing when she's in her 40s then we can have this discussion.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#725 [url]

Aug 30 16 4:58 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
jamiclever wrote:

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#726 [url]

Aug 30 16 8:04 AM

US iTunes:

#3 - Lemonade 
#13 - "Hold Up"
#20 - "Sorry"
#28 - "Formation"
#49 - "Pray You Catch Me"
#62 - "Don't Hurt Yourself"
#80 - Lemonade
#115 - "Freedom"
#116 - "6 Inch"
#137 - "All Night"
#176 - "Daddy Lessons"
#187 - "Sandcastles"
#233 - "Love Drought"
#285 - "Hold Up"
#336 - "Formation"
#345 - "Sorry"
#446 - BEYONCE
#459 - "Run The World (Girls)"
#495 - "Halo"
#528 - "Partition"
#639 - "Drunk In Love"
#713 - "Crazy In Love"
#720 - "Forward"
#751 - 4
#767 - "Love on Top"
#791 - "Single Ladies"
#903 - "Countdown"
#981 - "If I Were a Boy"
#1185 - "7/11"
#1256 - I Am... Sasha Fierce
#1291 - "Irreplaceable"
#1465 - Dangerously In Love

#CatalogYoncé strikes again

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#727 [url]

Aug 30 16 8:22 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
jamiclever wrote:

I sense a little bit of bitterness

3EDnyoi.gif

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#730 [url]

Sep 4 16 8:11 PM

Perfect timing for the upload. Happy birthday KING B

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mereboy

#733 [url]

Sep 6 16 6:37 PM

Hakeem wrote:
So watching Beyoncé be on top of the world at the VMAs made me want to revisit this question which manu of us has asked here before. Why do you think Beyoncé has been able to consistently maintain her massive young mainstream appeal while Mariah hasn't? If you think about it, Beyoncé started in 97 (just 7 years after Mariah). For me it has to do with Mariah's unidimensionality. She has always been all about the voice, and lacked in a lot of other aspects (i.e. dancing and overall performance). There's also her reluctance to leave her music niche (R&B) and even in that genre, I can't imagine her doing edgy more current urban stuff like Rihanna or Beyoncé. What do you all think?
She kinda tried that edgy stuff in the Butterfly album - mainly with "The Roof" song and video.
"My All" video was also a step in that territory, maybe.

I could see she pulling this off back in 97 but not anymore... her personality just changed so much and the public wouldn't buy it.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#735 [url]

Sep 6 16 7:39 PM

mereboy wrote:
Hakeem wrote:So watching Beyoncé be on top of the world at the VMAs made me want to revisit this question which manu of us has asked here before. Why do you think Beyoncé has been able to consistently maintain her massive young mainstream appeal while Mariah hasn't? If you think about it, Beyoncé started in 97 (just 7 years after Mariah). For me it has to do with Mariah's unidimensionality. She has always been all about the voice, and lacked in a lot of other aspects (i.e. dancing and overall performance). There's also her reluctance to leave her music niche (R&B) and even in that genre, I can't imagine her doing edgy more current urban stuff like Rihanna or Beyoncé. What do you all think?
She kinda tried that edgy stuff in the Butterfly album - mainly with "The Roof" song and video."My All" video was also a step in that territory, maybe.

I could see she pulling this off back in 97 but not anymore... her personality just changed so much and the public wouldn't buy it.

Well, to be fair, Beyoncé just turned 35 - the same age Mariah was when she had TEOM. True she's never had a tragic commercial failure like Glitter, but that was not because of Mariah's age or anything. Otherwise Mariah was pretty much at Beyoncé status until after "Obsessed."-- i.e. before turning 40. Let's see how Beyoncé holds up once she crosses 40.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#737 [url]

Sep 14 16 8:04 AM

mereboy wrote:
Hakeem wrote:
She kinda tried that edgy stuff in the Butterfly album - mainly with "The Roof" song and video.

Which is a shame because I'd like to see Mariah push the genre more. She should absolutely stay in R&B, with only the greatest concession being the odd bit of a pop/R&B lean, but the genre she's in is where she belongs. However (and I've said this before), I think Mariah is almost celebrating the genre more than innovating it anymore. I'd like to see her expand her sound beyond the throwbacks or 90's celebrations and try and do more what Beyoncé or Rihanna has done - take the sound in a more creative, edgy, fresh direction.

One of the things I love about Drake is hearing sounds you don't normally encounter in the genre. It sounds so unique and distinct.

I think Mariah could benefit a bit from taking this approach and sonically expanding what R&B/urban can sound like.

Quote    Reply   

#739 [url]

Sep 21 16 1:06 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mereboy wrote:
Hakeem wrote:

Which is a shame because I'd like to see Mariah push the genre more. She should absolutely stay in R&B, with only the greatest concession being the odd bit of a pop/R&B lean, but the genre she's in is where she belongs. However (and I've said this before), I think Mariah is almost celebrating the genre more than innovating it anymore. I'd like to see her expand her sound beyond the throwbacks or 90's celebrations and try and do more what Beyoncé or Rihanna has done - take the sound in a more creative, edgy, fresh direction.

One of the things I love about Drake is hearing sounds you don't normally encounter in the genre. It sounds so unique and distinct.

I think Mariah could benefit a bit from taking this approach and sonically expanding what R&B/urban can sound like.

For sure, no one can deny Mariah has been a major innovator in the urban/pop music scene back in the 90s. She had the cool factor then (specially during "Butterfly" when her music and lyric themes stopped being overly cute and sugary). But the fact is, like Carlos says, she is not innovating anymore (one could argue that, sonically, more recents songs like "Ribbon" or maybe "Dedicated" sound fresh and original...but in the end her work as a whole usually seems to be looking back to her former glory instead of pushing for that "I've never heard this before" from the public, like how she used to do).

I don’t want no cake on my birthday, errday errrday.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#740 [url]

Sep 27 16 9:43 AM

I've been obsessed with "Pray You Catch Me" for the past 2 days. It's such a beautiful album opener.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help