Remove this ad

#681 [url]

Jun 28 16 5:29 PM

I am a casual fan of Beyoncé, but aside from the one with Prince, I don't have any idea what these performances looked like or sounded like. I', not even sure I have seen them all. I'm not hating, just saying.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#683 [url]

Jun 28 16 5:43 PM

I do think she is an icon and future legend, but who even watches performances on TV shows anymore. So much media exists, there are no huge audiences watching 1,2 or 3 big networks anymore. Videos and singles are more likely to have that kind of impact now, not TV appearances - I'm not even debating the quality of Bey's performances - she's always great, but seriously, people don't watch these things like they used to.

Quote    Reply   

Gospelartist03

#684 [url]

Jun 28 16 6:19 PM

I'm a casual fan too but you're you're gonna tell me you only remember one little performance form over a decade ago with prince😒 Perched is right

she's been hailed as the performer of her generation precisely Because she's been putting in work everywhere on TV and concerts the last decade+ People obviously remember which is why they pay the money to go see her.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#686 [url]

Jun 28 16 6:29 PM

The one she did for RTW with that amazing performance/video graphic sequence. If that wasn't iconic, I don't want is.

People were raving about for its visuals and the obviously incredible performance she put it.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#687 [url]

Jun 28 16 6:37 PM

Gospelartist03 wrote:
^^ random people on the street level not sure, but
~ Both Super Bowls of course
~ Billboard awards who run the world 😳🔥🔥
~ Grammys 2010 straight rocked it!
~ WMA déjà vu 🔥🔥 One of my favorites!!
~ AMA single ladies! iconic
~ Grammys with prince and Tina
~ Proud marry at Kennedy honors
~ End of time at Revel ... Just to name a few 😜

I follow music and awards and the like, and I don't even recall some of these performances.

That is separate from whether they were good or not; I am just saying I don't think she's had many performances that are 'legendary' as was mentioned. For instance, you may love "Deja Vu" at the WMAs, but in no way is that some iconic/legendary performance.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#688 [url]

Jun 28 16 6:42 PM

Gospelartist03 wrote:
she's been hailed as the performer of her generation precisely Because she's been putting in work everywhere on TV and concerts the last decade+ People obviously remember which is why they pay the money to go see her.
But that isn't germane to this specific discussion. No one has denied Beyonce is a great performer, and the ticket numbers show people go to see her in concert. This discussion, though, is about what specific performances of hers are 'legendary' and remembered by/known to the general public. That discussion started out of someone saying her BET Awards performance would be added to her list of legendary performances, and my point was the BET Awards aren't big enough for a performance to become legendary.

I will also qualify my statements to say that I think in general there are very few 'legendary' performances by anyone. I think people are taking it as a knock on Beyonce, but the fact is that most 'legendary performances' are related to the Grammys or the Super Bowl because of the ratings those shows get. There are some exceptions (Michael Jackson doing the moonwalk at Motown 25 is a notable one, and the VMAs have had some over the years), but in general most performances just don't reach a wide enough audience to become known. Plus TV performances being a one-off is also a factor. Social media and streaming could certainly be changing that, though.

Last Edited By: MisplacedValidity Jun 28 16 6:44 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Gospelartist03

#689 [url]

Jun 28 16 6:58 PM

I also think people put too much stock on whatever show it originally aired on e.t.c in an era where u can go viral from your basement. I didn't watch billboard, wma or bet during the actual telecast but all those have been viewed by millions around the world and continue to rack up millions more via fb, Twitter, vines...
At the very least superbowl, Grammys, that billboard performance, single ladies have huge impact on pop culture and are well remembered and will live on whenever someone looks up Beyoncé as her top performances and with time this bet might also be one of those is the whole point.

Quote    Reply   

#691 [url]

Jun 28 16 7:12 PM

giphy.gif

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#692 [url]

Jun 28 16 8:18 PM

Gospelartist03 wrote:
I also think people put too much stock on whatever show it originally aired on e.t.c in an era where u can go viral from your basement.
"Can" isn't necessarily the same as reality, though. I even said in my last post that social media and streaming are changing things, so I acknowledged the 'viral' things before you posted it. But again, that doesn't mean it has happened with some of the performances in question. There is also a difference in something being watched by millions in the few days after and something being remembered for all-time. When Taylor Hicks won American Idol with some hugely seen performances that people talked about, it was a pop culture moment. Who the hell remembers those performances now, though?

Most of this stuff we are discussing at this point is theory/speculation about general concepts. I was asking which specific performances of hers are ones the general public would know about/remember if asked.

Quote    Reply   

breakbreakdown

#693 [url]

Jun 28 16 9:06 PM

Beyoncé is one of the current mainstream artists that is larger than life. Bigger than her music. And she knows it, she worked for it and she owns it. It's not like Justin Timberlake who thinks of himself as a legend. Beyoncé is becoming a legend in front of our eyes: who else keeps selling like this without having the traditional radio hits? The last two albums were the perfect example of her legacy and status. Aside the artist she is, Beyoncé is also a business woman. I do believe she will look for mainstream power after she fulfilled her creativity... About her performances, I liked that G(RTW) one where she was accused of stealing the concept.

Quote    Reply   

#694 [url]

Jun 29 16 1:53 AM

I am DYING @ this Destiny's Child interview. They seem high as f*ck. smiley: laugh  Beyonce is really eating during the interview....she must have had the munchies. Start it at the 1 minute mark.

Beyonce: How did you figure I would spy?
Interviewer: You told me.
Beyonce: *smiles* OH *laughs*

Interviewer: Suppose you could be an animal for one day, what would you be?
Kelly: An animal? Oh that's hard

Beyonce: *chewing* I know what I'd be. A whale.
Interviewer: Why?
Beyonce: I love whales. I love whales since I was a little girl.

Michelle: I would like to be a black panther.
Beyonce: OOOOHHHHH!

OMG and then Beyonce acts like a panther. I am screaming. smiley: laugh Seriously watch this interview!

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Last Edited By: seanjonmc Jun 29 16 2:00 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#695 [url]

Jun 29 16 4:18 AM

SCREAMING

When Beyonce says (whilst Kelly is talking) "I would spy..." then after she is finished the interviewer turns to Beyonce and goes "You would spy though?"
"How did you figure that I would spy?"
"You just told me."
"Oh."

Michelle tho

That is hilarious. Back when Beyonce was a person not an entity

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#698 [url]

Jun 29 16 2:53 PM

breakbreakdown wrote:
Beyoncé is becoming a legend in front of our eyes: who else keeps selling like this without having the traditional radio hits? The last two albums were the perfect example of her legacy and status. Aside the artist she is, Beyoncé is also a business woman. I do believe she will look for mainstream power after she fulfilled her creativity...

I agree with all of this.

Okay, she isn't really getting hits but she's selling amazing numbers of albums despite this and has established herself as a pretty impressive and respected creative force now. 

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#699 [url]

Jul 1 16 7:04 PM

Upon release "Hold Up" was a favorite and I didn't care for "Sorry." Recently I've had "Sorry" stuck in my head, and I could go the rest of my life without hearing "Hold Up" again and would be fine.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#700 [url]

Jul 5 16 3:50 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
The release of the video helped "Sorry" rise 38-32 on the Hot 100. Its current peak is still #11.
"Sorry" is up to #26 this week.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help