Remove this ad

#21 [url]

May 28 15 9:14 PM

Vincent wrote:
Oh, please. It was hardly that "xxx". Sure there were some pics/topics that went there, but for the most part it wasn't that bad. As far as discussing similar things in the general forum goes, I don't feel comfortable doing that where anyone who registers for FOMM can view and read it. I am not about to tell y'all a funny, personal, sex-related story on a public forum like this. With the locked section, it was protected. So Carlos doesn't like the idea, apparently, neither do you, Shayne, so it gets deleted? What about all the other posters? The issue here isn't so much this forum, but the fact that it seems like its two people's opinions ruling over what is supposed to be a community.

I used to run my own message board that before I was admin, I was just a member of, but other than that no I have not been to any others. While we had a general, basic set of rules that were basically about being respectful to each other and the designated artist, we never went as far as being as specific as this new set of rules are. In the specific instance of FOMM, for many years it was virtually unmoderated and certainly never this strictly moderated... and we survived just fine. If people are being downright mean and vicious to other posters than of course such things need moderation but to say "well, this post is worthless because you didn't elaborate on your opinion" is a bit ridiculous. If such posts bother people so much then just ignore them. But, really, I don't even see where this was such an issue for this all to occur. I just feel that given the circumstances of FOMM's history of ownership and moderation that it should be more of a democratic community. There are many members of this board who have been here for years and I feel we all deserve a voice in what happens to the board and its rules. It should not be up to just a couple of people because it affects us all.
I don't feel comfortable doing that where anyone who registers for FOMM can view and read it

But, really, anyone who requested and was approved could access the forum. It was never just for long term members. So, anyone could potentially read it anyway once approved.

So Carlos doesn't like the idea, apparently, neither do you, Shayne, so it gets deleted? What about all the other posters? The issue here isn't so much this forum, but the fact that it seems like its two people's opinions ruling over what is supposed to be a community.

Well, you're just plain wrong. This matter and many, many others have been discussed and considered at length by all admins - sometimes for weeks before coming to a decision. So, you can put the finger down or you can shake your fist at all admins.

As for the rules, well they're quite standard and straight foward.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#22 [url]

May 28 15 10:06 PM

Yes, but you'd have to approve those people and you'd have to know who they were to approve them... so it wasn't just any newbie. Again, missing the point, but I am not going to harp.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am not wrong by my own fault. I am wrong because we hear nothing about any of this - you just announce things randomly. I don't even know who "all the admins" are. All I know is that Carlos and you are apparently admins and I think you are the "head" admin, but I don't really know. I think Kevon is a mod? I have no idea. There's no list. There's never been any announcement. So yes, I "shake my fist" at all admins, in that case. Whoever they are. We, the non-elite, non-admin community were never given any notice of any changes to the rules or the board. We were never asked for our thoughts or feedback before things were implemented. They're just implemented. It's like if Congress just wrote up some laws and put them into effect without ever telling the public about it and then saying "tough, deal with it."

Some rules are standard, but aspects of numbers 4, 5, 6 and 7 are a bit much.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Last Edited By: Vincent May 28 15 10:08 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

May 28 15 10:48 PM

Vincent wrote:
Yes, but you'd have to approve those people and you'd have to know who they were to approve them... so it wasn't just any newbie. Again, missing the point, but I am not going to harp.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am not wrong by my own fault. I am wrong because we hear nothing about any of this - you just announce things randomly. I don't even know who "all the admins" are. All I know is that Carlos and you are apparently admins and I think you are the "head" admin, but I don't really know. I think Kevon is a mod? I have no idea. There's no list. There's never been any announcement. So yes, I "shake my fist" at all admins, in that case. Whoever they are. We, the non-elite, non-admin community were never given any notice of any changes to the rules or the board. We were never asked for our thoughts or feedback before things were implemented. They're just implemented. It's like if Congress just wrote up some laws and put them into effect without ever telling the public about it and then saying "tough, deal with it."

Some rules are standard, but aspects of numbers 4, 5, 6 and 7 are a bit much.
Well, the admins now have the title under their names so it's clear who is an admin from now on.

We're a messageboard and we have rules ultimately decided upon by admins because we have the responsibility and expectation by members of viewing threads, poster interactions and the overall flow of the board etc and so we make rules and changes as deemed appropriate - administrating, funnily enough.

You might feel vexed that you weren't consulted but, well, that's how it is. And it's that blunt. In saying that, it's not like we don't discuss objections or concerns (clearly) or that we don't even make amendments or changes or alter our stance when a matter of concern is fleshed out but it's just not in any way the majority of the community that are speaking out either for or against things like this now or previously.

This is a messageboard on the internet, not the United States of  Fomm.

This is a disagreement that has been tread time and time again by mostly the same very, very few posters in proportion to the entire community. So, we'll also let that answer your concerns.

Without further running around in circles, I think I've said all I will on the matter.

Last Edited By: ShayneFly May 28 15 10:54 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#24 [url]

May 29 15 7:44 AM

Why would anyone speak up when this is how we are treated? Like it's some sort of blasphemy to the head honchos and like we are so wrong and so very bad for saying anything? It's not just about "me" being vexed or consulted. I just think these sorts of decisions could be conducted and discuss in an open forum rather than your closed admin section where those interested in what is changing with FOMM could offer their comments. It makes no sense that there is only one group of people that should only have a say. Who selected the admins? It's not like this is any one person's board that they own and control. Its admin rights were passed from person to person over the years. It was owned by one person and then fell into the ownership of the community as a whole and that is how it should be; not like this.

But yeah, I am done, because clearly you are not seeing my point and see it as some sort of contempt rather than an invested community member trying to more than just be here in "the administrators'" community. We post here and we should have a right to speak our concerns not be hushed out of fear of upsetting your group.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#25 [url]

May 29 15 9:58 AM

ShayneFly wrote:

Well, the admins now have the title under their names so it's clear who is an admin from now on.

We're a messageboard and we have rules ultimately decided upon by admins because we have the responsibility and expectation by members of viewing threads, poster interactions and the overall flow of the board etc and so we make rules and changes as deemed appropriate - administrating, funnily enough.

You might feel vexed that you weren't consulted but, well, that's how it is. And it's that blunt. In saying that, it's not like we don't discuss objections or concerns (clearly) or that we don't even make amendments or changes or alter our stance when a matter of concern is fleshed out but it's just not in any way the majority of the community that are speaking out either for or against things like this now or previously.

This is a messageboard on the internet, not the United States of  Fomm.

This is a disagreement that has been tread time and time again by mostly the same very, very few posters in proportion to the entire community. So, we'll also let that answer your concerns.

Without further running around in circles, I think I've said all I will on the matter.

The point is, you guys don't. You sit up there high and mighty on your throne and you dictate what should and should not be done on this board like you're the only ones posting on it.

I've noticed a lot of pretentiousness and power trips lately and I've voiced my opinion on this matter with Carlos only to get evasive and dismissive replies. The same kind of replies you are deeming "bad behaviour." So what gives?

I have respect for whoever can dedicate their time and energy to maintaining a board like this, but FOMM is not an ordinary board. We're not a huge community anymore sadly and yet the rules have gotten stricter and stricter for the sake of just having them. This sudden change in attitude is almost disturbing, to say the least. I feel creeped out.

I logged in yesterday and I found a completely new environment, void of all the things that made it distinctive to me when I joined. Why don't you guys make us all participant in the decision making instead of holding this hierarchy? Why not make a public thread and propose new things instead of just having us all deal with it? I am aware that you guys discuss these things, but how many of you have access to the admin board? 3? 4?

YOU DO NOT REPRESENT THIS COMMUNITY. YOU ARE A MINORITY. GET THAT IDEA IN YOUR MINDS.

Last Edited By: mcfan May 29 15 10:02 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#27 [url]

May 29 15 10:11 AM

mcfan wrote:
And btw I had a thread in the Strictly Mariah forum that I update when there's need to. Where is it?

Archived. What was it? We could move it into the Mariah section and make it a normal thread.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#28 [url]

May 29 15 10:13 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
And btw I had a thread in the Strictly Mariah forum that I update when there's need to. Where is it?

Archived. What was it? We could move it into the Mariah section and make it a normal thread.

The Adult R&B chart one.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#29 [url]

May 29 15 10:14 AM

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

The Adult R&B chart one.

I'm sure I can find it. Let me look.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#30 [url]

May 29 15 10:17 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

The Adult R&B chart one.

I'm sure I can find it. Let me look.

Now moved here -

http://friendsofmariahmessageboard.yuku.com/topic/22666/Mariah-on-Hot-Adult-RampB-Airplay#.VWh0tWdFBdg

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#33 [url]

May 29 15 1:13 PM

Did I miss a juicy mess?? IMO FOMM has been very low-key for months. Just curious - what prompted the rules being locked and loaded at every corner of this forum?

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#34 [url]

May 29 15 4:24 PM

seanjonmc wrote:
Did I miss a juicy mess?? IMO FOMM has been very low-key for months. Just curious - what prompted the rules being locked and loaded at every corner of this forum?
All the mess happens behind the scenes now. We're just all informed when it's time to set new rules and stuff. smiley: indifferent

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#35 [url]

May 29 15 4:25 PM

I don't get the big deal. For the record, I am a mod and was involved in some of these discussion (or at least invited; didn't always participate). Additionally, we have discussed a lot of this on the boards, whether or not people acknowledge/realize it. It may not have been overtly stated as "This is for discussion as a potential rule change," but there have most certainly been discussions about the types of posts people make, what kind of content we want for this board, etc. I can also tell you that those things were mentioned in admin discussions and taken into account.

Anyway, every board I visit has mods, rules, etc. so I don't understand people flipping out. This board still has the loosest rules - and more so enforcement of them - so the dramaticking is overkill to me. As has been stated, this is above all else a Mariah board. Secondary to that we have general music discussion, and then general discussion of pop culture and personal topics. All of that still remains, and the rules fall in line with them.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#36 [url]

May 29 15 4:27 PM

mcfan wrote:

The point is, you guys don't. You sit up there high and mighty on your throne and you dictate what should and should not be done on this board like you're the only ones posting on it.

I've noticed a lot of pretentiousness and power trips lately and I've voiced my opinion on this matter with Carlos only to get evasive and dismissive replies. The same kind of replies you are deeming "bad behaviour." So what gives?

I have respect for whoever can dedicate their time and energy to maintaining a board like this, but FOMM is not an ordinary board. We're not a huge community anymore sadly and yet the rules have gotten stricter and stricter for the sake of just having them. This sudden change in attitude is almost disturbing, to say the least. I feel creeped out.

I logged in yesterday and I found a completely new environment, void of all the things that made it distinctive to me when I joined. Why don't you guys make us all participant in the decision making instead of holding this hierarchy? Why not make a public thread and propose new things instead of just having us all deal with it? I am aware that you guys discuss these things, but how many of you have access to the admin board? 3? 4?

YOU DO NOT REPRESENT THIS COMMUNITY. YOU ARE A MINORITY. GET THAT IDEA IN YOUR MINDS.

You are basically the first person to PM admins to try and get people banned for their posts, to start PMing people to protest, and so on, so all of these screams "sour grapes" to me.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#37 [url]

May 29 15 4:33 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
mcfan wrote:

You are basically the first person to PM admins to try and get people banned for their posts, to start PMing people to protest, and so on, so all of these screams "sour grapes" to me.
You are spreading a lie. I've never tried to get anyone banned, I've just asked for moderation when and where it was needed. Not even from you, so you can have a seat.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

May 29 15 6:35 PM

seanjonmc wrote:

They are just temporary in most forums and will be removed in a few days once people have had a fair chance to read them, ask questions etc if needed. They will then only be visible in the Welcome To FOMM forum.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#40 [url]

May 30 15 2:26 PM

mcfan wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
mcfan wrote:

You are spreading a lie. I've never tried to get anyone banned, I've just asked for moderation when and where it was needed. Not even from you, so you can have a seat.

Don't call him a liar. You have asked for people to be banned via PM.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help