Remove this ad

avatar

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#1321 [url]

Sep 6 15 4:29 PM

Re: Mariah Carey - New Album: #1 To Infinity

BeyondIdolization wrote:
mcfan wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:
The market is just dead for GH sets unless you appeal to like the 60+ crowd that still buys CDs.

Yeah but there's no reason why she couldn't have made a better song to promote it. "Infinity" definitely killed its chance at doing decently. I mean 15k opening week? Really?

A song like "You Don't Know What to Do" with real moderate hit potential would have pushed it more.

  


If she had a really amazing song ready I sure as hell wouldn't want her to waste it on a GH. She should save that for the next studio album.
  


Yeah, I think that's just the real issue that people ignore and develop false expectations around -- in a world where you can download any song you want, GH albums need a gimmick or something special to sell them. It's not something you can just stick out there every ten years and expect casual fans to buy anymore.

Remove this ad
avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,466 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#1323 [url]

Sep 7 15 2:22 PM

robjv1 wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:
mcfan wrote:

Yeah but there's no reason why she couldn't have made a better song to promote it. "Infinity" definitely killed its chance at doing decently. I mean 15k opening week? Really?

A song like "You Don't Know What to Do" with real moderate hit potential would have pushed it more.

  


If she had a really amazing song ready I sure as hell wouldn't want her to waste it on a GH. She should save that for the next studio album.
  


Yeah, I think that's just the real issue that people ignore and develop false expectations around -- in a world where you can download any song you want, GH albums need a gimmick or something special to sell them.


No, true. It was a great release for what it was though. As a GH collection goes, it was brilliant. Realistically, you don't release a GH collection in any climate in the middle of Spring. I will maintain it was daft as %+## and Vegas did nothing for the project in terms of rolling effect. If they pushed the album out this month or next, got a few pop up stands in Walmarts, Tesco's, etc as people are hitting those supermarkets on the festive gift hunt you'd have done better just from that.

Forget promo, that alone could sell it better and markets like the UK showed that with the numbers on The Ballads. These collections can be very easy sells but only when you get the easy time periods to cash in on lazy people.  
  

avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,466 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#1324 [url]

Sep 7 15 2:33 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
mcfan wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:
The market is just dead for GH sets unless you appeal to like the 60+ crowd that still buys CDs.

Yeah but there's no reason why she couldn't have made a better song to promote it. "Infinity" definitely killed its chance at doing decently. I mean 15k opening week? Really?

A song like "You Don't Know What to Do" with real moderate hit potential would have pushed it more.

  


If she had a really amazing song ready I sure as hell wouldn't want her to waste it on a GH. She should save that for the next studio album.
  


I get where Mario is coming from but yes, I don't think even scoring one song off a GH into a hit would benefit the GH itself simply due to the market and the way a consumer thinks - I don't think they would assume the song is off her GH. Hell, they might have assumed it was off her last proper album and go buy that smiley: laugh Plus, as you say, if you've got a decent hit single on your hands then it would be better used on a studio album campaign.

I don't see it as needing a song. More about needing to get the product in a place that would have made it an easy sell to casual consumers at a time when they are consciously or subconsciously open to such a product and may invest in it.
  

avatar

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#1325 [url]

Sep 7 15 2:39 PM

Re: Mariah Carey - New Album: #1 To Infinity

carlos b fly wrote:
robjv1 wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

If she had a really amazing song ready I sure as hell wouldn't want her to waste it on a GH. She should save that for the next studio album.
  



Yeah, I think that's just the real issue that people ignore and develop false expectations around -- in a world where you can download any song you want, GH albums need a gimmick or something special to sell them.


No, true. It was a great release for what it was though. As a GH collection goes, it was brilliant. Realistically, you don't release a GH collection in any climate in the middle of Spring. I will maintain it was daft as +*%@ and Vegas did nothing for the project in terms of rolling effect. If they pushed the album out this month or next, got a few pop up stands in Walmarts, Tesco's, etc as people are hitting those supermarkets on the festive gift hunt you'd have done better just from that.

Forget promo, that alone could sell it better and markets like the UK showed that with the numbers on The Ballads. These collections can be very easy sells but only when you get the easy time periods to cash in on lazy people.  
  



Yeah, it really was a great collection. The concept behind it was as good as it gets for a casual fan -- all the #1s in one collection. It probably would have sold great even still in 2005/2006.

I liked the idea of pairing it with the Vegas show as a secondary factor, but yeah it's going to have very limited sales potential. The holiday idea is a good angle and I kind of wish they didn't have a "one and done" mentality with this project, because it could have had a second life.

The other option that I think could have worked for making money on it, not in volume but in price would have been to pitch an expensive, well packaged deluxe version at the hardcore fans. Throw a bunch of demos/alternate cuts on there and a big glossy oversized booklet with lots of cool tidbits about the songs and photos and I think it'd give it some value as a physical product to at least one group of fans. The Beatles are making a killing with stuff like that.

Last Edited By: robjv1 Sep 7 15 2:43 PM. Edited 2 times.

avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,466 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#1326 [url]

Sep 7 15 2:55 PM

robjv1 wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
robjv1 wrote:



Yeah, I think that's just the real issue that people ignore and develop false expectations around -- in a world where you can download any song you want, GH albums need a gimmick or something special to sell them.


No, true. It was a great release for what it was though. As a GH collection goes, it was brilliant. Realistically, you don't release a GH collection in any climate in the middle of Spring. I will maintain it was daft as +*%@ and Vegas did nothing for the project in terms of rolling effect. If they pushed the album out this month or next, got a few pop up stands in Walmarts, Tesco's, etc as people are hitting those supermarkets on the festive gift hunt you'd have done better just from that.

Forget promo, that alone could sell it better and markets like the UK showed that with the numbers on The Ballads. These collections can be very easy sells but only when you get the easy time periods to cash in on lazy people.  
  



Yeah, it really was a great collection. The concept behind it was as good as it gets for a casual fan -- all the #1s in one collection. It probably would have sold great even still in 2005/2006.

I liked the idea of pairing it with the Vegas show as a secondary factor, but yeah it's going to have very limited sales potential. The holiday idea is a good angle and I kind of wish they didn't have a "one and done" mentality with this project, because it could have had a second life.

The other option that I think could have worked for making money on it, not in volume but in price would have been to pitch an expensive, well packaged deluxe version at the hardcore fans. Throw a bunch of demos/alternate cuts on there and a big glossy oversized booklet with lots of cool tidbits about the songs and photos and I think it'd give it some value as a physical product to at least one group of fans. The Beatles are making a killing with stuff like that.


A deluxe could have been a better idea. A lot of legacy style acts are - basically - fleecing their hardcore rotten, as they have long running fans hungry for content as you've mentioned. The average person wouldn't be interested in neither the content or the pricing for it but we would. Demo's, unreleased song, rarities, all new mixes (Morales maybe doing a mega Mariah greatest hits medley?), would all have enticing to us. 

If they had waited until Q4, they could have filmed a Vegas show and bolted onto a DVD of it. Then Willie Wonka it with some clever marketing - a handful of the CD's have a special prize in them, two VIP tickets to the 2016 shows and accommodation at Ceasers Palace thrown in. Costs nothing, may push a few more people crossing the line and buying the deluxe version.  
  

avatar

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#1327 [url]

Sep 7 15 3:10 PM

Yeah, I like the "Willie Wonka-ing" haha. AND HOW DID WE NOT GET A DVD OF THIS SHOW? The set was really impressive, especially in person and it was more tightly put together than most recent Mariah shows have been.


avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,466 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#1328 [url]

Sep 7 15 3:41 PM

robjv1 wrote:
  AND HOW DID WE NOT GET A DVD OF THIS SHOW? The set was really impressive, especially in person and it was more tightly put together than most recent Mariah shows have been.

I can only hope they're filming it next year to roll it on a pure DVD!

avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,970

#Beautiful

#1329 [url]

Sep 7 15 5:02 PM

They can't put out the DVD now nor put the show on a TV special because then it'll give away everything. She'd have to revamp the Whole set for the 2016 legs to do that and we know that ain't happening.

  
  

avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,466 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#1330 [url]

Sep 7 15 5:04 PM

mcfan wrote:
They can't put out the DVD now nor put the show on a TV special because then it'll give away everything. She'd have to revamp the Whole set for the 2016 legs to do that and we know that ain't happening.


Haven't the tickets for the 2016 shows already gone on sale?
  

Remove this ad
avatar

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#1331 [url]

Sep 7 15 5:05 PM

mcfan wrote:
They can't put out the DVD now nor put the show on a TV special because then it'll give away everything. She'd have to revamp the Whole set for the 2016 legs to do that and we know that ain't happening.
Good point.  Come on though, you know they aren't going to do it at all lol.


avatar

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#1332 [url]

Sep 7 15 5:06 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
They can't put out the DVD now nor put the show on a TV special because then it'll give away everything. She'd have to revamp the Whole set for the 2016 legs to do that and we know that ain't happening.

Haven't the tickets for the 2016 shows already gone on sale?  

I believe so, but I think these shows do like 75% of their gate on day-of-sales and walk-ups. 


avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,970

#Beautiful

#1333 [url]

Sep 7 15 7:28 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
They can't put out the DVD now nor put the show on a TV special because then it'll give away everything. She'd have to revamp the Whole set for the 2016 legs to do that and we know that ain't happening.


Haven't the tickets for the 2016 shows already gone on sale?

Just the February shows, I believe there's more.

And the tickets will not sell fast since it's Vegas, they'll mostly be sold on the day of the show.

  

  
  

avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,970

#Beautiful

#1334 [url]

Sep 7 15 7:30 PM

robjv1 wrote:
mcfan wrote:
They can't put out the DVD now nor put the show on a TV special because then it'll give away everything. She'd have to revamp the Whole set for the 2016 legs to do that and we know that ain't happening.
Good point.  Come on though, you know they aren't going to do it at all lol.

Well yeah not holding my breath, a TV show in the 4th quarter is too smart an idea for Mariah these days

She did say however she had something new in mind for the Feb shows. Hope she follows it through.

  

  
  

avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,466 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#1335 [url]

Sep 8 15 8:28 AM

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
They can't put out the DVD now nor put the show on a TV special because then it'll give away everything. She'd have to revamp the Whole set for the 2016 legs to do that and we know that ain't happening.


Haven't the tickets for the 2016 shows already gone on sale?

Just the February shows, I believe there's more.

And the tickets will not sell fast since it's Vegas, they'll mostly be sold on the day of the show.

  


Ah and yes, you wouldn't want to do anything to compromise ticket sales for 2016. A DVD wouldn't be a good idea then.
  

avatar

Vincent

Posts: 20,255


Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#1337 [url]

Sep 8 15 12:12 PM

Maybe they'll do the DVD after it's all said and done.


_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

avatar

mcfan

Posts: 34,970

#Beautiful

#1338 [url]

Sep 8 15 12:45 PM

I hope they do the DVD. They could do the TV show now, if Mariah wants to incorporate new elements for the new legs.

  
  

#1339 [url]

Sep 8 15 1:07 PM

I agree! I wonder how much flexibility she has in production costs. It didnt seem like they spared any expenses in promo, so I wonder if they'll give her that luxury of changing things up more. IF the Erhlich TV special is true, maybe a good time to air it would be in January right before the February shows? They could probably even announce new dates after. There was an article in Variety suggesting that Mariah, through Stella's production company, has unscripted series/specials in the works. I wonder if this could be one of many.

avatar

carlos b fly

Administrator

Posts: 24,466 You'll never be ready. Memba I told you!

#1340 [url]

Sep 8 15 2:56 PM

Vincent wrote:
Maybe they'll do the DVD after it's all said and done.

I hope so. Shania Twain did eventually do a DVD after her Vegas run was complete.
  

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help