Urban:
1946 587 MARIAH CAREY Thirsty 4 1 +3 0.004

19th #1!!!!

Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#6203 [url]

Feb 26 15 10:26 PM

I saw that "19th #1" and then 587 and started freaking because I thought it had gained 587, not that it was ranked 587

#6204 [url]

Feb 27 15 5:37 PM

CoryCoolDangerous wrote:
mcfan wrote:
Urban:

19th #1!!!!
Strnager things have happened! lol I wish another song was building though not the biggest fan of Thirsty

#6205 [url]

Feb 28 15 12:05 AM

Gawain of Suffolk wrote:
CoryCoolDangerous wrote:
mcfan wrote:
Urban:

19th #1!!!!
Strnager things have happened! lol I wish another song was building though not the biggest fan of Thirsty

Not really lol

#6206 [url]

Feb 28 15 2:20 PM

and some people thought that You Don't Know What To Do would do better than Thisty LOL smiley: roll

I always said Thirsty was the best single option

carlos b fly

Administrator

#6207 [url]

Feb 28 15 2:50 PM

p0ir0t wrote:
I always said Thirsty was the best single option way to put off whatever fans she had recovered after #B

#6208 [url]

Feb 28 15 3:40 PM

"Ugh, you're thirsty" is the better hook, but YDKWTD Is SO much more fun and I think better overall and as a single with proper promo. I think Kevon said it should've been the Idol single and then #B and it would've helped the album more. I agree.

carlos b fly

Administrator

#6209 [url]

Feb 28 15 4:29 PM

LaDiDa wrote:
"Ugh, you're thirsty" is the better hook, but YDKWTD Is SO much more fun and I think better overall and as a single with proper promo.

Agreed. The brilliance of #B was it was giving what people really missed about Mariah and totally against all the things people had grown sick of - her 'sing rapping', immature lyrics and overly urban tracks that shun melody and sometimes charm. Taking that goodwill and spitting on it with Thirsty would have been campaign suicide. It was putting her right back into the place people were knocking her for before.

YDKWTD was a song with a far broader appeal and shifting into areas people liked and missed about Mariah.  

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#6210 [url]

Feb 28 15 5:29 PM

I slightly prefer "TDKWTD" and think it would have been a great follow-up to "#B" in continuing what she accomplished with that one, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss "Thirsty" in terms of shunning melody and not giving people what they want. For one, it actually has a great melody. It does also have a rhythmic/chanted part, but it has has wonderfully melodic parts. I think it's an example of the pop/urban hybrid Mariah made famous and had a lot of success with in the middle part of her career.

Remove this ad

#6212 [url]

Feb 28 15 7:00 PM

Thirsty has a weak chorus that is completely whispered, which is the exact opposite of what people want from Mariah. The "Uh, you're thirsty" party is catchy-ish, and I like the song, but I don't think it would have had any success at all.

YDKWTD should have been single #1, followed by #B.

carlos b fly

Administrator

#6213 [url]

Feb 28 15 7:12 PM

jamiclever wrote:
Thirsty has a weak chorus that is completely whispered, which is the exact opposite of what people want from Mariah. The "Uh, you're thirsty" party is catchy-ish, and I like the song, but I don't think it would have had any success at all.

Precisely. Its too much the kind of song people were fed up of from Mariah, totally going backwards at a time when people were finally accepting her once more for the fresher and truer sound of #B, a song that really got her back on side with many who had written her off musically. Thirsty is catchy but it was only ever going to sell to exactly the same audience who were already onboard with Mariah. Which was a diminishing audience at best.

MIAM gave a lot of people what they really wanted again from Mariah. Thirsty was the worst kind of advert to show that in an isolated form.

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#6215 [url]

Feb 28 15 11:58 PM

New Album: Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse - Out May 27th!

Obsessed was a hit and Thirsty would have been a hit too. People here are just a bit too old-fashioned in their thinking. Thirsty is gimmicky and 'novelty' but it could've been a huge digital hit with the right promotion and video. A wasted opportunity for sure!

rooney1905

#6216 [url]

Mar 1 15 1:55 AM

Obsessed was a hit back when people were still checking for Ace of Base infused Gaga pop tunes. Needless to say but times have changed. Not to mention Mariah's stock publicly has been lukewarm at best. Thirsty isn't the kind of single that would work for Mariah today. YDKWTD is a good single choice although I think they could cut one of Wale's raps for radio. It actually got some decent spins in Atlanta after the album was released. #B I think is the correct choice for a first single. It's on par with some of her other lead singles in terms of timeless appeal. They should have followed up with YDKWTD. I actually like YM as a single but more like 3rd or 4th and with a much better video. The real killer was the gap between #B and the album release along with that debacle of TAOLG/Facebook mess. That made it too far of a hole to dig out of.

#6217 [url]

Mar 1 15 3:44 AM

I like TAoLG just fine but what they tried to do with it was not the best strategically. It wasn't the right choice to jumpstart a stalled project, it wasn't a good choice for the Facebook audience, and the Fallon bit would have been better with a song that had more mass appeal. YDWTD seems like it would have gotten more mileage from those activities.

And as for Thirsty, I got my LIFE the one time I heard it at the club.

carlos b fly

Administrator

#6218 [url]

Mar 1 15 7:26 AM

Emizzle wrote:
I like TAoLG just fine but what they tried to do with it was not the best strategically. It wasn't the right choice to jumpstart a stalled project, it wasn't a good choice for the Facebook audience

Yes, I can actually understand what they were going for and strategically, it was actually a clever move. Her camps total inability to even communicate what was going on with MIAM after the delay had built up a lot of frustration and killed all the buzz they had. The Facebook deal was an attempt to bridge the gap and keep people boiling over. It was just executed so poorly it was like a bunch of interns doing a college project and the track itself wasn't impressive at all.

carlos b fly

Administrator

#6219 [url]

Mar 1 15 7:31 AM

rooney1905 wrote:
Obsessed was a hit back when people were still checking for Ace of Base infused Gaga pop tunes. Needless to say but times have changed. Not to mention Mariah's stock publicly has been lukewarm at best. Thirsty isn't the kind of single that would work for Mariah today.

Precisely. To be realistic, I ultimately think both songs would have done about as well as each other and been no more than average sized hits (even with some promo). But one is strategically sending a more promising message about Mariah as an artist. The tide had been turning on Mariah for her sound for a while, Triumphant being the final straw for most. #B and then later YDKWTD would have showed people to give her another chance.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#6220 [url]

Mar 1 15 11:44 AM

"TAOLG" should have never been any sort of single, so I don't know what JD and Mariah were thinking there. The facebook thing could have worked with a better single/logisitcs.

At the end of the day Marah's continual delays are what killed the project. It didn't matter what singles were chosen.

Had the album been released when initially scheduled I think this would have been best:
1. #Beautiful
2. You Don't Know What To Do
3. Thirsty
4. You're Mine/Dedicated

The way Mariah started doing "Thirsty" on tour was epic, and doing something along those lines at the VMAs or similar show could have gone over really well.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help