Remove this ad

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#6181 [url]

Jan 3 15 3:05 AM

Material wise, she should defintely continue down the path she's on. I feel like she got back on track with this album, especially on the album tracks. Like half of them on E=MC^2 and Memoirs just float on by and don't really stick or sound alike. Almost all of the ones on this record are distinct and seem meaningful.

Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

#6182 [url]

Jan 3 15 9:51 AM

I love MIAM and I think it's her best album since TEOM, but I wouldn't mind her exploring with new sounds while still remaining in R&B. I don't want a Pop record, I just would like her to try new things. Not just sonically but also lyrically speaking.

MIAM was the return to form, the next one should be more left field and innovative for her. She's in the part of her career where commercial success doesn't matter anymore, so why not.

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#6183 [url]

Jan 3 15 9:58 AM

mcfan wrote:
I love MIAM and I think it's her best album since TEOM, but I wouldn't mind her exploring with new sounds while still remaining in R&B. I don't want a Pop record, I just would like her to try new things. Not just sonically but also lyrically speaking.

MIAM was the return to form, the next one should be more left field and innovative for her. She's in the part of her career where commercial success doesn't matter anymore, so why not.
Yes, this!  The timing couldn't be better really.

carlos b fly

Administrator

#6184 [url]

Jan 3 15 6:17 PM

mcfan wrote:

Interesting post and I agree with a lot of what you are saying. What did you have in mind?

mcfan

#Beautiful

#6185 [url]

Jan 3 15 9:13 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

Interesting post and I agree with a lot of what you are saying. What did you have in mind?

I don't know, new themes. For example I'd like for her to expand on the subject matter she had on "Meteorite" as an industry veteran. Reflections on her career, on fame, on life as a celebrity.

#6187 [url]

Jan 4 15 6:17 PM

Re: New Album: Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse - Out May 27th!

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

I don't know, new themes. For example I'd like for her to expand on the subject matter she had on "Meteorite" as an industry veteran. Reflections on her career, on fame, on life as a celebrity.

Or what she did on Dedicated, doing a good old school r&b and talking about that. This song is genious.
I also like what she did on Make it look good. That song is everything.
MIAM is one of my Mariah's fav albums, besides to Butterfly. As a whole I think is better, but I've got so many good memories attached to Butterfly

Sent from my SM-G900F using Yuku app

robjv1

#6188 [url]

Jan 4 15 8:35 PM

Yeah, Dedicated puts me in mind of Candy Bling -- I really like the throwback, nostalgic bend on those songs a lot. I would love to see her do more of that sort of thing.

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#6190 [url]

Jan 6 15 10:16 PM

Naturally, MIAM is on our list :P quite high up, too

Check it out dahhhhlings.

http://www.est1997.com/music/the-19-97-albums-of-2014/

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#6191 [url]

Jan 6 15 11:51 PM

LaDiDa wrote:
Did we ever figure out her record contract situation?
She doesn't have a label at the moment.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#6192 [url]

Jan 7 15 12:01 AM

matty tat tat wrote:
They only song I could do without is One More Try. If it were 2 or 3 minutes shorter I'd love it but it's way too long.

I think the pitch corrected vocals are what drag that track down. I like the idea of the cover - both because it's a great song in general and because of what it means emotionally for the album. I just wish she had brought it more vocally.

Really, she could have ended the album with "Money" and it would have been great. The short spoken intro for that song makes sense, and ending it on an upbeat note would have brought closure for the journey. While I don't dislike the final 2 songs, they're basically overkill.

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#6193 [url]

Jan 7 15 12:08 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
matty tat tat wrote:
They only song I could do without is One More Try. If it were 2 or 3 minutes shorter I'd love it but it's way too long.

I think the pitch corrected vocals are what drag that track down. I like the idea of the cover - both because it's a great song in general and because of what it means emotionally for the album. I just wish she had brought it more vocally.

Really, she could have ended the album with "Money" and it would have been great. The short spoken intro for that song makes sense, and ending it on an upbeat note would have brought closure for the journey. While I don't dislike the final 2 songs, they're basically overkill.

The vocal, but also the production on OMT is really bad. The whole thing sounds like a karaoke moment.

I think Heavenly is a nice closer and I like it, so my tracklist ends Money-Heavenly.

robjv1

#6194 [url]

Jan 7 15 4:49 AM

Re: New Album: Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse - Out May 27th!

Yeah OMT is definitely the cheapest sounding track on the album. Heavenly is a bit messy, but the track itself doesn't sound like it was pulled right from a "Piano Sounds Of The 90s" midi collection lol. Personally I wish she'd made it sound like something off of Emotions instead of something off MB production-wise. I'd say this is true in general about her more adult contemporary and "stately" ballads these days. The production for some of those types of songs on her last Christmas album sounds much better than the AC stuff that's been on her recent albums.

Last Edited By: robjv1 Jan 7 15 4:57 AM. Edited 3 times.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#6195 [url]

Jan 7 15 9:46 AM

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

Along with that, she has very few songs that are about music itself (as in, few songs like "Sir Duke," "Killing Me Softly," "Into the Groove," "Piano Man," "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall," etc). I think a sort of concept album about what music has meant to her life would be really cool. That would cover throwback songs (a la "Dedicated"), songs that extend off "Meteorite" like Mario mentioned, songs about singing and dancing along to music for an escape, etc. That sort of theme also naturally invites different genres because some would be nostalgic/throwback songs, some would be reflective ballads, some would be dance/uptempo songs, etc.

#6196 [url]

Jan 7 15 11:16 PM

robjv1 wrote:
Yeah OMT is definitely the cheapest sounding track on the album. Heavenly is a bit messy, but the track itself doesn't sound like it was pulled right from a "Piano Sounds Of The 90s" midi collection lol. Personally I wish she'd made it sound like something off of Emotions instead of something off MB production-wise. I'd say this is true in general about her more adult contemporary and "stately" ballads these days. The production for some of those types of songs on her last Christmas album sounds much better than the AC stuff that's been on her recent albums.

I really had high hopes for OMT.  I really expected it to be a big epic vocal performance.  I don't mind listening to the song, but it was really disappointing at first.

robjv1

#6198 [url]

Jan 7 15 11:36 PM

CoryCoolDangerous wrote:
robjv1 wrote:

I really had high hopes for OMT.  I really expected it to be a big epic vocal performance.  I don't mind listening to the song, but it was really disappointing at first.

Yup, totally me too. I thought she would really embrace the feel of the original production but she actually made it sound much more old fashioned.

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#6199 [url]

Jan 29 15 9:05 PM

Not that I want her to copy Kelly Clarkson, but this is a really cute idea.

http://piecebypiece.kellyclarkson.com

Since she mentioned doing something with the lyrics.

Though I think it'd be cooler if she did Genius annotations on (rap)genius.com

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

mcfan

#Beautiful

#6200 [url]

Feb 26 15 4:54 PM

Urban:
1946 587 MARIAH CAREY Thirsty 4 1 +3 0.004

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help