Remove this ad

#2861 [url]

Jul 11 17 8:34 AM

She was definiteky sick during Beacon 16. I actually thought her opening night of those shows last year was her strongest opening at the Beacon but she got worse as the nights went on and admitted to having a cold. She also was staying at the theatre extremely late after the show finished so I just think she wasn't in the best place over all during those shows.

I think we'll see over the next few months what kind of vocal year 2017 will be. She only did like 3-4 shows between January and June. She's come out sounding a lot stronger now and there was an improvement from the first night of this leg so I'm sure, if she stays healthy and also rests enough, that she'll be in really good vocal shape for the Lionel shows.

Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#2862 [url]

Jul 11 17 9:04 AM

Agreed. She hasn't been performing consistently for us to be making assertions about how this year has been vocally. I'll make my mind up once she's been performing regularly. The problem is Mariah's pattern of improving through regular performing doesn't work with how the publicity train works with concerts.

People are only really interested at the start, when the media reviews the concerts open nights. So if she sounds bad to begin with on tour, that's the publicity she gets. She needs to take the time to work and exercise her voice before she starts so that she has a strong start, get the best reviews she can and ultimately sell more tickets.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Migrate90

#2863 [url]

Jul 11 17 4:03 PM

Eh, I don't know... You can say that she has done too little of performing this year, and basically only one off things, which is fair enough, but I'm going by the consistency regarding how subpar -overall- she sounds now. It's worrisome that since about the Beacon shows of 2016 up until now she's been consistent in that she doesn't sound that good (with that private party earlier this year and the show in Austria being the worst offenders). She was on SUCH a vocal high up until the final dates of SSF tour and then bam she hasn't been sounding strong since then. That's what I find worrisome. Her chest voice and middle register especially sound so limp right now. She usually bounces back pretty quickly, but not this time. So far. And I'm concerned she's been recording with this voice... It sucks she let golden vocal periods like Beacon 2014, Beacon 2015, SSF pass by and seems to be in the studio during times she hasn't been sounding stellar live. I really don't mean to be a wet blanket, but...

#2864 [url]

Jul 11 17 4:05 PM

^ I'm personally hoping that this Vegas run and touring with Lionel will get her voice back on track and ready for recording. We've definitely heard her sound worse and she always seems to recover, so let's try and stay positive

Migrate90

#2865 [url]

Jul 11 17 4:07 PM

^ Yeah, absolutely! Fingers crossed. Cause I cannot bear the thought of an album with "Infinity," "Infamous," or "I Don't" vocals. Lol

Kevon

Administrator

#2866 [url]

Jul 11 17 4:50 PM

Migrate90 wrote:
Eh, I don't know... You can say that she has done too little of performing this year, and basically only one off things, which is fair enough, but I'm going by the consistency regarding how subpar -overall- she sounds now. It's worrisome that since about the Beacon shows of 2016 up until now she's been consistent in that she doesn't sound that good (with that private party earlier this year and the show in Austria being the worst offenders). She was on SUCH a vocal high up until the final dates of SSF tour and then bam she hasn't been sounding strong since then. That's what I find worrisome. Her chest voice and middle register especially sound so limp right now. She usually bounces back pretty quickly, but not this time. So far. And I'm concerned she's been recording with this voice... It sucks she let golden vocal periods like Beacon 2014, Beacon 2015, SSF pass by and seems to be in the studio during times she hasn't been sounding stellar live. I really don't mean to be a wet blanket, but... frown.gif
To me it's clear she hasn't been trying to "Bounce back" though. She's been out a lot, focusing on silly side projects, etc. I don't know how when she's performed like 3-4 times this year very sporadically we can freak out about how she 'can't bounce back'. This time a year ago she sounded amazing. I think there's a tendency for fans to freak out that she's only as good as her last performance.

If she still sounds a mess by the end of the tour then yes I'll be concerned. But off a few one-off performances I am not going to freak out. She's been "done" so many times vocally - the TAOM tour/E era, the start of the Elusive tour, the Rockefeller mess, and now. Have a little faith

#2867 [url]

Jul 11 17 5:35 PM

Even if she only improved a small bit more over the new few months, she's still at a sort of similar level to how she's been post 2012. She's had some amazing vocal highs and some awful lows but had a middle ground that she can rely on more frequently and that's where she's at now.

She was sounding great during the TSSFT but since this time last year, she really hasn't performed much and the level she was at dropped. I do think the break up with Packer affected her more than we know. But I still think given the fact she has only performed 3-4 shows before this Vegas leg this year, it's not fair to judge the level she's at. We know how she hates rehearsing and the likelihood is that when she isn't performing regularly, she barely warms up her voice. That's why it can take so long to get it back in shape.

I do think the fans place way too much expectation on her too. My friend made a good point about this, if Mariah came out sounding like she did the other night in 2008-2009, everyone would be screaming "the voice is back." The older she gets though, the more pressure there is to deliver.

Gospelartist03

#2868 [url]

Jul 12 17 12:46 AM

Ok so im at the show tonight right now, got last minute tickets. And honestly she sounds fantastic!!! Her voice had barley a few weak moments like in Honey but her falsetto whistle and belts all sound Amazing! Vocally the highlights so far VOL, OSD, LTT she nailed Emotions with the adjusted vocals ... Im very pleased! Shes on My all now

#2869 [url]

Jul 12 17 8:45 AM

This last show seems like it was decent. She went for more notes and put in more effort. I think sometimes she dodges notes or holds back because she hasn't rehearsed, warmed up, and is afraid to crack or not hit certain notes. The expectations for her are always high since she is considered a top vocalist, which is probably why she lips so much to ensure people get some of those signature moments they expect from her. But this last show was a little better. She sounded better in the live parts it seems.

Kevon

Administrator

#2870 [url]

Jul 12 17 8:59 AM

I saw some clips. She looks "frozen" again. Vocally she hit a few good belted notes, though she seems to struggle with the runs and riffs. Like, she used to be able to hit them so precise but they sounded a bit I dunno, slurred? I still think she seems out of sorts these days. Not just vocally, her whole persona seems sedated. Hopefully it's nothing and she's ok.

Remove this ad

Gospelartist03

#2871 [url]

Jul 12 17 12:55 PM

Kevon wrote:
I saw some clips. She looks "frozen" again. Vocally she hit a few good belted notes, though she seems to struggle with the runs and riffs. Like, she used to be able to hit them so precise but they sounded a bit I dunno, slurred? I still think she seems out of sorts these days. Not just vocally, her whole persona seems sedated. Hopefully it's nothing and she's ok.

she was flat at times but really she did sound good.  Besides the ones I mentioned before, her Thank God I found you was perfect like she belted the mess out of it, and she had great moments really throughout the night, her rich tone was back at moments and I was loving it.   

As far as being frozen well its my first time seeing her live and I was like Dang girl can you walk? but I figured thats just how she is. she did get more fluid as the night went on.  Her conversation and interactions were good though she made some cute comments here and there and walked through the audience a couple of times looking amazing.  I didn't get the sense she was out of it or anything, she had the most awkward interaction during touch my body though she brought up this guy and totally didn't know what to do, I had to bust out laughing but even then she was sanging. I'm not a diehard so my perspective is different but it seemed everyone enjoyed the show. 

Migrate90

#2872 [url]

Jul 12 17 2:17 PM

Well, I'll be damned. Mariah sounded good throughout on the last show. FABULOUS actually.

Truth be told, she looks completely detached and zombie-sque, but she's serving vocals:

Seems her voice is on the mend. She'll be sustaining notes by the Lionel tour hopefully!

#2873 [url]

Jul 12 17 2:30 PM

^ IMO it just seems like her clothes are too tight and she's uncomfortable. I think she'd be moving a lot better if she wore stuff that fit her and wasn't squeezing into corsets and such.

She does sound much better though!

#2877 [url]

Jul 12 17 4:36 PM

Fat or thin, vocal mess or high, all I know is I'm having all my wigs snatched when I see her on July 30, just 18 days!!!

I don’t want no cake on my birthday, errday errrday.

Gospelartist03

#2878 [url]

Jul 12 17 5:25 PM

mcfan wrote:
"My All" was kinda perfect too. It had a nice balance of soft notes and power.

THIS!  the falsetto was on point and so were the belts at the end. Gyal I was lambily all last night. 

Gospelartist03

#2880 [url]

Jul 12 17 5:42 PM

Its crazy cause you really couldn't tell at the theater but looking at the videos with closeups you can. (smart they don't project her fact at the venue and everyone looks at the whole gorgeous stage) Hope she gets through whatever is bothering her though but never the less she put on a great show.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help