Remove this ad

#161 [url]

Jun 24 15 3:55 PM

NhWxMaN wrote:
mariah's voice changes from day to day. i don't have any doubts that ltw was recorded in the early 00s.

Same. I listen to this acapella version, the "Then love will take over" line at 2:20 mark doesn't sound like something recorded during the Daydream era.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

rooney1905

#162 [url]

Jun 24 15 9:33 PM

Definitely recorded in early 2000s. I think her voice did change but it changed for me on every album. Daydream she was belting to the high heavens but I always thought it was a combination of new lifestyle and a factor of 'use it or lose it'. We see her get her voice back so many times. I don't mind that she can't do the high belts any longer but I miss the floating between notes, keys, and god dammit, time that her voice would do. Think climax of VOL at MSG. Not necessarily big belting on her big run but she slayed it with control and note selection. I always thought if she just sang more regularly she would keep her voice in shape. I guess that boils down to practice. Daydream probably impacted her because just because you can reach to hit something doesn't mean you should. This is a good topic!

Quote    Reply   

#163 [url]

Jun 24 15 9:58 PM

Can we stop talking about Lead The Way? I'm always said when we bring this song because it should be considered one of Mariah's classic creations, one of her best vocal performances ever (melismas, fast runs, transitions, belts etc) but no one knows this song except her fans, unfortunately.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#165 [url]

Jun 25 15 7:03 AM

^What do you mean by odd/damaged? Sounds like she just changed it up.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

rayyanmod

#168 [url]

Jun 26 15 9:31 AM

As impressive as it was seeing how she could just soar with her vocals there (e.g. "you'll find the way") I've always found the sound of her upper register on that concert quite annoying.

My highlight of that night was what she did with the 2nd verse of Without You (1:44-2:05) An example of backing track used right to emphasize your musicality.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#169 [url]

Jun 26 15 10:20 AM

I didn't revive this so you guys could talk sh*t about the supreme Daydream vocals. Watch your step y'all.

This is not the subject at hand.

Quote    Reply   

#170 [url]

Jun 26 15 10:25 AM

Mariah's Daydream voice >>>>>>>> Anyone else EVER.

Interestingly enough, I think the closest she's come to those vocals since then were at the Beacon shows last year. She played with Hero in some ways like she did in '96-- I just wish she would have done the climax live, she definitely could have.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#171 [url]

Jun 26 15 1:05 PM

Goathi wrote:
Can we stop talking about Lead The Way?

No, as its entirely pertinent to the current discussion theme Mario has decided on.

Quote    Reply   

#172 [url]

Jun 26 15 1:16 PM

I looooovee the Daydream era. OT but I'm still hoping to one day see the alleged "Underneath the Stars" music video.

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#173 [url]

Aug 22 16 2:20 PM

New topic: what is the issue with MTV?

The VMAs are next Sunday and I was thinking that it's a disgrace Mariah never got one. In her 26 years career she has only been nominated 7 times:

1996 - Best R&B Video ("One Sweet Day")
1998 - Best Female Video ("Honey Remix")
2003 - Best Hip-Hop Video ("I Know What You Want")
2005 - Best Female Video ("We Belong Together")
2005 - Best R&B Video ("We Belong Together")
2006 - Best R&B Video ("Shake It Off")
2008 - Best Female Video ("Touch My Body")

She was asked to present awards in 1996, 1997 and 1998 but she's only performed on the show twice: "Emotions" in 1991 and "Shake It Off/We Belong Together Remix" in 2005. 

So what's the issue? Discuss. 

Quote    Reply   

#175 [url]

Aug 23 16 4:55 PM

F*ck MTV!!! .............. xD

No, really, I never even realized that she has never won a single mtv award. Although she's the first to admit that she doesn't take her own videos seriously.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#176 [url]

Aug 23 16 5:00 PM

A disgrace that only one video from the Butterfly era was nominated, and that "Heartbreaker" wasn't.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#177 [url]

Aug 24 16 6:37 AM

Why do you guys think she wasn't nominated more in the 90s and didn't get to win any?

It's not like she didn't build a relationship with MTV as a network, because she had several specials with them starting with the Daydream era. She always gave him behind the scenes to her videos, interviews and whatnot. And that was when her videos at least made sense for the songs and were massive hits.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#178 [url]

Aug 24 16 6:44 AM

It is interesting. I wonder if by the late 90s she had a stigma attached to her in the industry. The same stigma that means she has been snubbed consistently by the Grannys

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#179 [url]

Aug 24 16 9:18 AM

Kevon wrote:
It is interesting. I wonder if by the late 90s she had a stigma attached to her in the industry. The same stigma that means she has been snubbed consistently by the Grannys

I was about to say, why doesn't she win any Grammys? It generally seems to been an across the board thing with Mariah and I can't explain it. Did she p!ss off some industry types at some point? Did Tommy? Does her image just put people off? I find it utterly staggering that Beyoncé and Whitney have so many more Grammys than Mariah. She just seems so under awarded in general.  

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#180 [url]

Aug 24 16 9:30 AM

^I think Tommy had a big thing to do with her lack of respect. Initially there was probably a lot of side eye because they were married. Tommy was known as being one of the most fearsome (and therefore probably disliked) men in the business. I reckon that things like award shows were probably the one place where people could probably kick him in the balls anonymously and what better way to do it than to take it out on his wife when voting for her awards. Then of course after they separated Mariah was pretty much the go-to joke for people who they wanted to tear down throughout the 90s. I mean, it still haunted her in 2006 when she had undeniably the best choice for album of the year but they still snubbed her.

Honestly I think only now that she is becoming a legacy artist is the industry starting to acknowledge her influence. And even now tbh she still has a long way to go. Sadly I think she will be long gone before people finally pay her her dues.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help