Remove this ad

#141 [url]

Mar 5 15 8:36 PM

This segment of the Billion Dollar Babe documentary (At 2:00) goes into the subject in depth.

Carol Cooper (A&R at Sony) had this to say:

"They were clearly trying to carve some kind of unique visual landscape for this girl that would be equally accepted on both sides of the racial divide. They were completely experimenting with it. And it worked beautifully."

I always found that to be true, and I think they still work that angle.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

#142 [url]

Jun 19 15 4:15 PM

So I've decided to revive this for a little mess. I'm listening to the MSG 1995 audios and Mimi reaching notes for the Gawds and I was thinking...

NEW TOPIC:

Did the Daydream era take a toll on Mariah's already fragile vocal situation (the nodules and all)?

Quote    Reply   

veda very shining

#143 [url]

Jun 19 15 9:26 PM

I think this is true. Her voice during Daydream was gorgeous and buttery but you could hear how thin it sounded compared to just the year before. It's so odd because I can tell every Mariah era just by the tone of her voice. 

Quote    Reply   

#145 [url]

Jun 20 15 10:49 AM

Daydream was her peak vocally (beautiful tone and high belts) but also the time that her voice started to sound different, thin etc. If only her peak had lasted longer. No one could sound so angelic and powerful as her during this time. "Underneath the Stars"is the perfect example:

We all should venerate this performance forever!!!

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#146 [url]

Jun 20 15 10:49 AM

I think it was more that she had worked singing BIG songs for 6-7 years before her voice started to show any signs of decline rather than Daydream itself. Also, I think Mariah living in a cage where she could pretty much do nothing but work on music and her voice, then all of a sudden being free to do what most people in their early 20s would have gotten out of their system (partying, having fun) was why we saw such a sudden change in her voice. But her voice was slowly changing the whole time. As mentioned, if an 'unreleased' mystery song came out most of us would be able to tell which era it was from based on her vocals alone.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

#147 [url]

Jun 20 15 11:02 AM

Kevon wrote:
I think it was more that she had worked singing BIG songs for 6-7 years before her voice started to show any signs of decline rather than Daydream itself. Also, I think Mariah living in a cage where she could pretty much do nothing but work on music and her voice, then all of a sudden being free to do what most people in their early 20s would have gotten out of their system (partying, having fun) was why we saw such a sudden change in her voice. But her voice was slowly changing the whole time. As mentioned, if an 'unreleased' mystery song came out most of us would be able to tell which era it was from based on her vocals alone.
Lead The Way

Quote    Reply   

#148 [url]

Jun 20 15 4:21 PM

Why do people think "Lead the Way" -or parts of the song- has been recorded in 96-97? Because she worked on Glitter since the Butterfly era? They are definitely vocals from 2001 to me, even the belted parts. In 1996 she would sing in a certain way that is very recognizable although the tone is very similar sometimes.

Quote    Reply   

#149 [url]

Jun 20 15 5:36 PM

Kanye wrote:
Why do people think "Lead the Way" -or parts of the song- has been recorded in 96-97? Because she worked on Glitter since the Butterfly era? They are definitely vocals from 2001 to me, even the belted parts. In 1996 she would sing in a certain way that is very recognizable although the tone is very similar sometimes.
I think the answer is already in your question. People think "Lead The Way" has been recorded in 96-97 because in many parts of the song the tone is very similar the these eras. And it's the only song on the album that has this tone.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#150 [url]

Jun 20 15 6:22 PM

Kanye wrote:
"Lead The Way" was definitely only touched up in 2001. I think the bulk of the vocals come from 1997. Just compare it to "Never Too Far" and you'll see the quality is superior on LTW.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

#152 [url]

Jun 20 15 6:52 PM

Kanye wrote:
I'm still skeptical. :/ She doesn't sound drastically different on NTF to me.
Not drastically, but you can hear a roughness on NTF that's not on LTW.

Quote    Reply   

#153 [url]

Jun 20 15 11:20 PM

mcfan wrote:
Kanye wrote:I'm still skeptical. :/ She doesn't sound drastically different on NTF to me.

I'm not saying that there's no way LTW was recorded in late 90s, but
even her vocals on Butterfly album didn't sound consistent.
e.g. My All vs Babydoll - the latter sounded way rougher.

Quote    Reply   

MissyJG

#154 [url]

Jun 20 15 11:25 PM

mcfan wrote:
Kanye wrote:
I'm still skeptical. :/ She doesn't sound drastically different on NTF to me.

But she sounds different on different songs of MIAM too (although I guess she did record that over several years). LTW always sounded 2001 to me. But with LTW it should be more of a tone thing.. Might have to listen to it again.

Last Edited By: MissyJG Jun 20 15 11:40 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#155 [url]

Jun 21 15 12:03 AM

I'm not sure that I'd be able to place any rejects from MIAM into any particular era vocally. A few songs on that album sound like they could have been from other earlier eras-- YDKWTD her tone sounds like she did during the Rainbow era, Meteorite's vocals were Daydream-ish at times, Supernatural she sounded like a mix of 90's eras.

IMO her voice on the whispery pre-choruses of Lead The Way sound '97 and the belting sounds '93 (lol).

Quote    Reply   

CoCoLambMC

Hit me with your best shot!

#156 [url]

Jun 22 15 11:58 AM

Alright so..... I agree that all the over singing had to do with it..... buuuuuuuuuut..... not start drama or bring up her brother's $!$#, I think it started with drinking. Once she was single, she was livin' the fun single life. Nothing wrong with that. I think that's when her voice changed. Her voice seemed to be in the worst shape from 1999-2002. Those Rainbow Tour vocals are proof of that to me. She obviusly bounced back from this in 2003 on the Charmbarcelet tour.... Ironically, from more... "Sing-Sing" since she went hardcore with the tour dates. There's my opinion. 

Quote    Reply   

Ginger1.vivamariah19436

#157 [url]

Jun 22 15 12:54 PM

Kanye wrote:
I think that's what everyone assumed, but Walter said in an interview in like the last year or so that LTW was recorded in the Daydream era.  He kind of made it sound like it was supposed to go on that album, too.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#158 [url]

Jun 23 15 5:02 AM

zxcorr wrote:
mcfan wrote:
Kanye wrote:I'm still skeptical. :/ She doesn't sound drastically different on NTF to me.

I'm not saying that there's no way LTW was recorded in late 90s, but
even her vocals on Butterfly album didn't sound consistent.
e.g. My All vs Babydoll - the latter sounded way rougher.
Fair point. Compare how she sounded on Whenever You Call to the belting parts of The Beautiful Ones, another example.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#159 [url]

Jun 23 15 11:17 AM

Kevon wrote:
 Also, I think Mariah living in a cage where she could pretty much do nothing but work on music and her voice, then all of a sudden being free to do what most people in their early 20s would have gotten out of their system (partying, having fun) was why we saw such a sudden change in her voice.

I really think its this. The shock to her voice from suddenly having Mariah out partying a lot, all night at times, plus drinking, being in smokey clubs, being around people doing pot (which was more than likely even if she didn't partake).......all these factors are going to have an impact. From 1996 I just don't think Mariah took as much care protecting her voice and for the sake of having a lifestyle change (some would say even life) after Tommy, it was just something that had to happen.

Quote    Reply   

NhWxMaN

#160 [url]

Jun 23 15 12:14 PM

mariah's voice changes from day to day. i don't have any doubts that ltw was recorded in the early 00s.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help