carlos b fly

Administrator

#41 [url]

Dec 24 14 6:23 PM

Mikizzlefshizzle wrote:
jrsoares wrote:

Mikizzlefshizzle wrote:

+1

Failiing her being able to use the original Loverboy I think All My Life would have been a great start for her... wouldn't have been that pop success out the gate but may have eventually crossed over.  But it would have really signified that it was Glitter was period piece and something a bit different for her.

Also, I live for All My Life and think it's amazing that Mariah worked with Rick James.

''All My Life'' is the better song, sure, but its commercial appeal was even worse then LB imo.

The good thing about releasing AML instead as the first single would be, as you said it, to emphasize that Glitter was a soundtrack from a movie set in the 70's.

But let's face it, Mariah did Glitter more as an album than a soundtrack, it is ALL her! image

She really did though... She tried it!! lol I guess she thought she would get fans to buy it if she sold it as a Mariah Carey album with an 80s motif - which it was - a mixture of fun uptempos and ballads and especially given the autobiographical elements of the movie...But then it became strictly a "soundtrack album" when it all went down the toilet! image 

Yes, I loved how she did a complete 180 on Glitter by a year later. In 2001 she had been selling it as it a straight up Mariah Carey album. She was very clear about that. A full campaign disaster later, it was "just a soundtrack" smiley: laugh A shame she really seems to have disowned it so hugely and its never really sweetened over the years, unlike say, the CB album which she will still credit the material and various songs on it.

While I can't really get into Glitter, there are some nice little tracks on there and she sounds glorious on a lot of the tracks.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Dec 24 14 9:58 PM

carlos b fly wrote:

Mikizzlefshizzle wrote:
jrsoares wrote:
Mikizzlefshizzle wrote:

+1

Failiing her being able to use the original Loverboy I think All My Life would have been a great start for her... wouldn't have been that pop success out the gate but may have eventually crossed over.  But it would have really signified that it was Glitter was period piece and something a bit different for her.

Also, I live for All My Life and think it's amazing that Mariah worked with Rick James.

''All My Life'' is the better song, sure, but its commercial appeal was even worse then LB imo.

The good thing about releasing AML instead as the first single would be, as you said it, to emphasize that Glitter was a soundtrack from a movie set in the 70's.

But let's face it, Mariah did Glitter more as an album than a soundtrack, it is ALL her! image

She really did though... She tried it!! lol I guess she thought she would get fans to buy it if she sold it as a Mariah Carey album with an 80s motif - which it was - a mixture of fun uptempos and ballads and especially given the autobiographical elements of the movie...But then it became strictly a "soundtrack album" when it all went down the toilet! image 

Yes, I loved how she did a complete 180 on Glitter by a year later. In 2001 she had been selling it as it a straight up Mariah Carey album. She was very clear about that. A full campaign disaster later, it was "just a soundtrack" image A shame she really seems to have disowned it so hugely and its never really sweetened over the years, unlike say, the CB album which she will still credit the material and various songs on it. While I can't really get into Glitter, there are some nice little tracks on there and she sounds glorious on a lot of the tracks.

Right! 

There are some fine vocal moments and cool little jams that aren't so far removed from one of her remixes or "studio" albums since we know she loves a good "nod to the 80s"... I seem to remember her saying "nod to the 80s" in interviews a lot! image

Quote    Reply   

Mariah10Carey88

my panties itch, what do i do? asking for a friend

#44 [url]

Dec 24 14 11:00 PM

believe it or not, this was the song that made me become a lamb. i didnt grow up listening to a lot of music..i just listened to whatever my mom had on the radio. in 2001, i didnt even really know who mariah was. i think i was in my christina aguilera or alicia keys phase around this time, and i watched TRL religiously. i saw mariah on there (not the stripper episode), i think she was giving away a car or something, and then for some reason i loved the song. and then one day in Target i saw her greatest hits and begged my mom to buy it for me. and then it was that day when i heard the cd that i just fell in love and was like oh wait shes actually so much better than loverboy.

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Dec 24 14 11:18 PM

jamiclever wrote:
IMO the main problem is the vocals. People were already becoming very weary of her whispering on the Heartbreaker verses, but the chorus was at least full-voiced and super catchy. The Loverboy vocals were the last straw- I remember people saying she sounded like a dying cat.

OT: I really don't think this is the reason, she sounded nasally but not that different from anything she released since 96/97 imo. I think having a cold helped her reach those G5 notes. lol
Love the song.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#46 [url]

Dec 25 14 9:16 AM

Kanye wrote:
^ I think she said last year that she still thinks Glitter is a great soundtrack or something like that.
Yes, she said that on Watch What Happens Live.

Quote    Reply   

Nike

Posts: 12,158 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#47 [url]

Dec 28 14 2:52 PM

Loverboy remix >>>>> Loverboy

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Dec 29 14 12:48 AM

I remember a non-fan referring to the song back in the day as "that song she came out with that didn't even have a melody" so yeah I think that was a big part of it.

Also, you can't really understand what she's saying.

Finally, promotion for the single was virtually non-existent. She didn't even perform the song anywhere.

Quote    Reply   

CoCoLambMC

Hit me with your best shot!

#49 [url]

Dec 29 14 1:07 AM

CoryCoolDangerous wrote:
 Finally, promotion for the single was virtually non-existent. She didn't even perform the song anywhere.
I agree with everything except this... she and virgin pimped the hell out of that single! smiley: laugh Minus the fact that she didn't perform it anywhere. The song is already messy as it is, I can only imagine a "live" version..... smiley: indifferent

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#50 [url]

Dec 30 14 7:47 AM

mcfan wrote:
Kanye wrote:
^ I think she said last year that she still thinks Glitter is a great soundtrack or something like that.

A step forward then. Can anyone see her performing one single song off the album though, in the same way CB still gets a nod? I'd love a Glitter medley.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#51 [url]

Dec 30 14 7:50 AM

CoCoLambMC wrote:
CoryCoolDangerous wrote:
I agree with everything except this... she and virgin pimped the hell out of that single! smiley: laugh Minus the fact that she didn't perform it anywhere.

Indeed. Promotion and performing are two different things. Saying promotion was non-existent is laughable. They were flying Mariah everywhere for the single on a relentless promo campaign that many in her camp were worried was too much for her to endure.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#52 [url]

Dec 30 14 10:11 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
Kanye wrote:

A step forward then. Can anyone see her performing one single song off the album though, in the same way CB still gets a nod? I'd love a Glitter medley.

Didn't she do an acapella "Loverboy" snippet on tour? I think it was in Japan..

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Dec 30 14 3:14 PM

Also, in the Breakfast Club interview, she said Glitter is now a cult classic to which she owns the rights. Maybe she'll do something with it in the distant future when it's safe for her to bring up again. Hah.

Regarding "Loverboy," I really think the "Firecracker" sample would have fit so much better in the film, but the released version has grown on me. One of the main problems with it though is that it's not that danceable. The beat is a little messy imo.

"Didn't Mean To Turn You On" and LNADJSML were my jams. Was happy to see a push to make LNADJSML happen in the end, but everything had gone to hell by then. Haha.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#54 [url]

Dec 30 14 4:15 PM

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

No idea? Do we have a clip?

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#55 [url]

Dec 30 14 4:24 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

No clips leaked of it, but the Twitter gerls were apparently in awe?

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Dec 30 14 5:11 PM

I'm not sure I agree with people saying "All My Life" would have flopped. It had the signature Mariah vocal that people loved, almost reminiscent of Fantasy's vocal. I think it was exactly what people wanted from Mariah at the time-- to that end, I also think DMTTYO could have been a hit too. Just because a lot of those sounds were "80's" doesn't mean they weren't catchy and couldn't have been hits.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#57 [url]

Dec 30 14 5:33 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with people saying "All My Life" would have flopped. It had the signature Mariah vocal that people loved, almost reminiscent of Fantasy's vocal. I think it was exactly what people wanted from Mariah at the time-- to that end, I also think DMTTYO could have been a hit too. Just because a lot of those sounds were "80's" doesn't mean they weren't catchy and couldn't have been hits.

I don't think either of those songs would have been hits. Glitter has a very, very campy sound (by design) and lacked a certain coolness to the material that would have denied it mainstream acceptance by the masses. Certainly in the music climate of the early 2000's. Those songs were just too much and a lot them were too silly to be accepted as mainstream hits when removed from the context of the album or the world of the film. The only songs that escape that are If We, Don't Stop and (maybe) Loverboy. Two of which were singles and valid choices I guess.

It is very hard to do an album like Glitter, remain faithful to the vibe of the project/movie (which Mariah certainly did) and then roll material off the album that could credibly crack the Billboard charts.   

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#58 [url]

Dec 30 14 5:43 PM

jamiclever wrote:
Hmm.. "Didn't Mean to Turn You On" was too hardcore 80s to be a hit in 2001. "All My Life" and "If We" on the other hand could've been smashes. When you think about the music landscape in the early 2000s what you had was Murder Inc. and Ja Rule with that heavy drum/keyboards sound filling up the airwaves. The "I'm Real" remix even had a Rick James sample!

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#59 [url]

Dec 30 14 5:47 PM

mcfan wrote:
jamiclever wrote:
Hmm.. "Didn't Mean to Turn You On" was too hardcore 80s to be a hit in 2001. 

Agreed, it was just too kitch for that time.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Dec 31 14 8:21 AM

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:carlos b fly wrote:A step forward then. Can anyone see her performing one single song off the album though, in the same way CB still gets a nod? I'd love a Glitter medley.

No clips leaked of it, but the Twitter gerls were apparently in awe?

I pretty much think it was fake.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help