#21 [url]

Dec 23 14 4:53 PM

Yasss let's keep the discussion going. I love the participation

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Dec 23 14 4:57 PM

jamiclever wrote:
IMO the main problem is the vocals. People were already becoming very weary of her whispering on the Heartbreaker verses, but the chorus was at least full-voiced and super catchy. The Loverboy vocals were the last straw- I remember people saying she sounded like a dying cat.

I honestly think the song, as is, with full-voiced verses and chorus, would have done miles better and be remembered fondly.

(The video was just the final nail in the coffin)

PS.... I still love the song and video!!! (/still think All My Life as the first single would have changed everything about the era)

+1

Failiing her being able to use the original Loverboy I think All My Life would have been a great start for her... wouldn't have been that pop success out the gate but may have eventually crossed over.  But it would have really signified that it was Glitter was period piece and something a bit different for her.

Also, I live for All My Life and think it's amazing that Mariah worked with Rick James.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Dec 24 14 12:11 AM

Probably the most entertaining behind the scenes video. Hey, Officer Bill.

"Oh, I know how to run in a heel, honey, don't worry."

"I'm the script supervisor."
"How's the script?"
"There is no script." LOL!

Quote    Reply   

jrsoares

#24 [url]

Dec 24 14 12:14 AM

Mikizzlefshizzle wrote:
jamiclever wrote:
IMO the main problem is the vocals. People were already becoming very weary of her whispering on the Heartbreaker verses, but the chorus was at least full-voiced and super catchy. The Loverboy vocals were the last straw- I remember people saying she sounded like a dying cat.

I honestly think the song, as is, with full-voiced verses and chorus, would have done miles better and be remembered fondly.

PS.... I still love the song and video!!! (/still think All My Life as the first single would have changed everything about the era)

+1

Failiing her being able to use the original Loverboy I think All My Life would have been a great start for her... wouldn't have been that pop success out the gate but may have eventually crossed over.  But it would have really signified that it was Glitter was period piece and something a bit different for her.

Also, I live for All My Life and think it's amazing that Mariah worked with Rick James.

''All My Life'' is the better song, sure, but its commercial appeal was even worse then LB imo.

The good thing about releasing AML instead as the first single would be, as you said it, to emphasize that Glitter was a soundtrack from a movie set in the 70's.

But let's face it, Mariah did Glitter more as an album than a soundtrack, it is ALL her! smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

tl2mc

#25 [url]

Dec 24 14 3:42 AM

I love this song!!!! It's so bouncy and flamboyant(for lack of better word!). And for some reason the candy sample in the original is a classic... I love how she's singing along to it....(and the way she looks in the original video as well in the car show room!!) This era really is the first one where I started to follow her closely.... I was always behind tho. That changed once I got internet at home during the cb era lol!

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Dec 24 14 4:36 AM

I think the main reason was the song was just a little too as someone mentioned "flamboyant". Even her gay fans I'm sure had to roll the windows up at the stop lights playing this one. Destinys child was also quite a force and were at the peak of their popularity. Independent Women and Survivor gave Bootylicous ample ammunition for chart success and nobody was checking for a "Loverboy". You honestly couldn't really dance to the song in the clubs, nor was it a ballad, it was jut odd and rushed released after the original beat was jacked. I personally love the song, but I can see why it didn't work. Only Mariah can have a successful flop peak at number 2 ha!

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#27 [url]

Dec 24 14 9:19 AM

LaDiDa wrote:
Probably the most entertaining behind the scenes video. Hey, Officer Bill.

"Oh, I know how to run in a heel, honey, don't worry."

"I'm the script supervisor."
"How's the script?"
"There is no script." LOL!
The Making of the Video is so OTT. Mariah was clearly on the edge, but it makes me laugh. I feel bad about it

"YOU GOTTA LET ME DO THE CAAKE!!"

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#29 [url]

Dec 24 14 10:41 AM

mcfan wrote:
Da Brat's breakdown in the remix >>>

You know that's a real ride or die b*tch right there. Shading the lessers and all laugh.gif

Yes, she does deserve some credit for it. Brat is firing shots and her delivery is very tight. I love a good cutting rap bar smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#30 [url]

Dec 24 14 10:44 AM

Mario, I have edited the title of the thread more appropriately. Should get more people in as well if they know the current topic.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

#31 [url]

Dec 24 14 11:53 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

You know that's a real ride or die b*tch right there. Shading the lessers and all laugh.gif

Yes, she does deserve some credit for it. Brat is firing shots and her delivery is very tight. I love a good cutting rap bar smiley: laugh

!!! The fact that she did it with the Firecracker melody is the ultimate shade!

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#32 [url]

Dec 24 14 11:55 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
Mario, I have edited the title of the thread more appropriately. Should get more people in as well if they know the current topic.
Okay, thank you. YAS @ "Judge mcfan" gives me a Nene "I said what I said" tea

tumblr_n5kk104rjs1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#33 [url]

Dec 24 14 12:06 PM

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
Okay, thank you. YAS @ "Judge mcfan" gives me a Nene "I said what I said" tea laugh.gif

You need that GIF of her from the last reunion where she does that dramatic upwards click to silence Kenya. That's how you can close a topic at the end of each month smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#34 [url]

Dec 24 14 12:14 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
Okay, thank you. YAS @ "Judge mcfan" gives me a Nene "I said what I said" tea laugh.gif

You need that GIF of her from the last reunion where she does that dramatic upwards click to silence Kenya. That's how you can close a topic at the end of each month smiley: laugh

I need to re-watch the whole thing to find that moment and then I'll try to get a gif

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#35 [url]

Dec 24 14 12:19 PM

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

I need to re-watch the whole thing to find that moment and then I'll try to get a gif laugh.gif

You'll see it on the 'next week' segment. So its at the end of either Part 1 or Part 2.

Quote    Reply   

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#37 [url]

Dec 24 14 1:38 PM

Re: Monthly FOMM Symposium (ruled by Judge MCfan) TOPIC: Loverboy

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:

!!! The fact that she did it with the Firecracker melody is the ultimate shade! :lol

Yes that is quite brilliant actually.

Love the thread title update lol

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#38 [url]

Dec 24 14 4:12 PM

The song would've been better with the original sample, but it's still basic and subpar. I love a good rap verse and often prefer her songs WITH the rap, but Ludacris and Da Brat would've sufficed. Those other two lessers could go. I enjoy a good bop to it every now and again, and some of the lines make me live.

I LOVE "All My Life" and it would've been cute for a single but it probably would've flopped too, but as someone else said, at least she coulda chalked it up to being for the film. However, she didn't write it so that was never gonna happen. She shoulda just went with "If We" even though its not as good as "I'm Real."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Dec 24 14 5:06 PM

mcfan wrote:

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:Da Brat's breakdown in the remix >>>

You know that's a real ride or die b*tch right there. Shading the lessers and all image

Yes, she does deserve some credit for it. Brat is firing shots and her delivery is very tight. I love a good cutting rap bar image

!!! The fact that she did it with the Firecracker melody is the ultimate shade!

YASSS! Mariah probably put her up to it too. She was so clearly cut up about being back stabbed like that... 

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Dec 24 14 5:16 PM

jrsoares wrote:

Mikizzlefshizzle wrote:
jamiclever wrote:IMO the main problem is the vocals. People were already becoming very weary of her whispering on the Heartbreaker verses, but the chorus was at least full-voiced and super catchy. The Loverboy vocals were the last straw- I remember people saying she sounded like a dying cat.

+1

''All My Life'' is the better song, sure, but its commercial appeal was even worse then LB imo.

The good thing about releasing AML instead as the first single would be, as you said it, to emphasize that Glitter was a soundtrack from a movie set in the 70's.

But let's face it, Mariah did Glitter more as an album than a soundtrack, it is ALL her! image

She really did though... She tried it!! lol I guess she thought she would get fans to buy it if she sold it as a Mariah Carey album with an 80s motif - which it was - a mixture of fun uptempos and ballads and especially given the autobiographical elements of the movie...But then it became strictly a "soundtrack album" when it all went down the toilet! image 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help