Remove this ad

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#201 [url]

Jun 27 17 1:41 PM

Love both versions, although I prefer the solo version, I think the song sounds more sad and sincere when it's just her. Her vocal on the final chorus is absolutely insane, no one could replicate that super high belting and with that kind of power behind it. I think it should've been a single in Europe as ballads were still big here in the late 90s.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#203 [url]

Jun 27 17 2:00 PM

To me, both Whenever You Call and Fourth of July are redolent of Daydream, so I guess they could have been written first.

__    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __

Charmbracelet is my favorite MC album. DEAL WIT IT

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#204 [url]

Jun 27 17 2:40 PM

She said in an interview for Butterfly that she always did the ballads first because they didn't change as much with trends (remember this was in the 90s). And judging by the vocals on the Butterfly ballads compared to the up/midtempos it's pretty obvious that they were recorded early in the process, when her voice still sounded Daydreamesque. The non-ballad vocals have a rougher texture to them as her voice had changed some at that point.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#206 [url]

Jun 27 17 3:53 PM

The first Mariah CD I ever bought was 1s, and so the version I was used to listening to was the duet version - and I agree I think it works really well as a duet, particularly with Brian McKnight's voice, I think had it been virtually any other singer I wouldn't be saying this but their voices just mesh so well -lyrically it works well as a duet and yeah Mario I could see the song originally being written with that in mind - particularly the bridge sounds like its supposed to be two people playing off each other

Having said that the solo works perfectly too - it is one of my top Mariah ballads with CLG, My All, Everything Fades Away and IDWC 

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#207 [url]

Jun 27 17 5:39 PM

I came here to write almost the same thing smiley: laugh

#1s was the first Mariah album I bought, and I loved Mariah and Bryan singing together on Whenever You Call. He has a truly beautiful voice and it blends really well with her. So, in a way, it brings me back memories and feelings from 1998/1999. Ithink this is one of her best ballads. Great production, lyrics, and use of her range.

No, I don't think it was meant to be a duet, otherwise it would have been recorded as one, since Mariah, at that point, was "allowed" to record with other people. "Butterfly" is maybe the best example of Mariah writing and singing something that someone else was supposed to say. "Spread your wings and prepare to fly, for you have become a butterly. Fly abandonedly into the sun. I fyou should return to me, we truly were meant to be. So spread your wings and fly, butterfly" was what Mariah wanted Mottola telling her, and she is saying it to herself, with no male voice. So, "Whenever You Call" would not be the only song that could work with two people singing, but she is alone.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#208 [url]

Jun 28 17 4:23 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
She said in an interview for Butterfly that she always did the ballads first because they didn't change as much with trends (remember this was in the 90s). And judging by the vocals on the Butterfly ballads compared to the up/midtempos it's pretty obvious that they were recorded early in the process, when her voice still sounded Daydreamesque. The non-ballad vocals have a rougher texture to them as her voice had changed some at that point.
It was quite incredible how much her voice had changed from the beginning to the end of the album recording process. I mean, if you compare WYC to TBO, it's a massive difference. Obviously a large part of that was down to her enjoying her new found freedom and not being as strict with caring for her voice - but then it makes you wonder just under how much lock and key was she kept during the Daydream era to have her voice that perfect.

Quote    Reply   

#209 [url]

Jun 28 17 10:06 AM

Brazilian X Man wrote:

#1s was the first Mariah album I bought, and I loved Mariah and Bryan singing together on Whenever You Call. He has a truly beautiful voice and it blends really well with her. So, in a way, it brings me back memories and feelings from 1998/1999. Ithink this is one of her best ballads. Great production, lyrics, and use of her range.

No, I don't think it was meant to be a duet, otherwise it would have been recorded as one, since Mariah, at that point, was "allowed" to record with other people. "Butterfly" is maybe the best example of Mariah writing and singing something that someone else was supposed to say. "Spread your wings and prepare to fly, for you have become a butterly. Fly abandonedly into the sun. I fyou should return to me, we truly were meant to be. So spread your wings and fly, butterfly" was what Mariah wanted Mottola telling her, and she is saying it to herself, with no male voice. So, "Whenever You Call" would not be the only song that could work with two people singing, but she is alone.

Maybe there were other reasons. Remember "Yours" with Justin Timberlake was never released.

Quote    Reply   

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#210 [url]

Jun 28 17 11:09 AM

Goathi wrote:
Brazilian X Man wrote:

Maybe there were other reasons. Remember "Yours" with Justin Timberlake was never released.

Well, yes. But my point is that Mariah has written songs where she refers to herself on the third person, and has written songs that have more than one person's perspective, that were not meant to be sung as a duet. It could be the case here.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#212 [url]

Jun 29 17 12:43 AM

^I disagree, she intentionally but some filter on the Butterfly whisper to make it sound more subdued (which is the idea, that the vocal builds as she becomes free). But the belting on Butterfly and My All is clear and powerful. As the Countess would say "You're really searching there daahhling".

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#213 [url]

Jun 29 17 8:31 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
^I disagree, she intentionally but some filter on the Butterfly whisper to make it sound more subdued (which is the idea, that the vocal builds as she becomes free). But the belting on Butterfly and My All is clear and powerful. As the Countess would say "You're really searching there daahhling".
I'm just saying that she probably recorded those two later on. Wasn't "My All" inspired by a trip to Puerto Rico? She went there to shoot "Honey," unless she went multiple times, that would mean she recorded it in 1997 instead of late 1996. 

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#214 [url]

Jun 29 17 10:34 AM

^I'm pretty sure the story is she *was* in Puerto Rico and was inspired to write My All because of the 'latin' sounds. Then when it was time to shoot the Honey video she had the concept for it and knew she wanted to go back and shoot it there.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#216 [url]

Jun 29 17 12:26 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
^I'm pretty sure the story is she *was* in Puerto Rico and was inspired to write My All because of the 'latin' sounds. Then when it was time to shoot the Honey video she had the concept for it and knew she wanted to go back and shoot it there.
Okay, thanks for clarifying. 

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#217 [url]

Jul 5 17 6:49 AM

Brazilian X Man wrote:

Even though the song came to me first as a solo on Butterfly, I've always liked the way it was used as a duet and unlike AAO with Westlife, it actually worked in terms of song structure. It becomes a stronger song with McNight.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#218 [url]

Jul 5 17 12:42 PM

^AAO with Westlife is hideous, but Queen did what she needed to do and it got her that #1

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#219 [url]

Jul 8 17 6:25 PM

Kevon wrote:
^AAO with Westlife is hideous, but Queen did what she needed to do and it got her that #1

Oh, it really was. I honestly wished she had just rinsed off Whenever You Call and done it again. AAO just didn't remotely work as a 'duet' with six people.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#220 [url]

Jul 18 17 10:46 AM

I'm already gathering info for a new topic.. so get in on this old one if y'all got something else to say

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help