Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#21 [url]

Oct 25 13 2:06 PM

The movie seemed to have so many [unnecessary] inaccuracies. For instance, when they first hear a song of theirs on the radio, it's "What About Friends." Wasn't that their third single? And then for the famous breakdown Lisa did of how they didn't make money off CSC they are shown doing a radio interview, but that was done on Behind The Music. And then wasn't Lisa's "challenge" to the other girls actually in Entertainment Weekly and not Vibe as the movie states? It all just makes me doubt a lot of the movie.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Colson

#23 [url]

Oct 25 13 2:11 PM

hottiecasanova wrote:
Colson wrote:
Why would she sign that type of agreement with him? That doesn't make any sense.

She signed it back when they were still working in the wood shed or whatever.

I still wouldn't have signed that especially considering if I thought I had strong songwriting skills. She must didn't have that strong of a relationship with her mom who was sort of in the business because she could have warned her early on that that wasn't a smart business deal.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#24 [url]

Oct 25 13 2:31 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
The movie seemed to have so many [unnecessary] inaccuracies. For instance, when they first hear a song of theirs on the radio, it's "What About Friends." Wasn't that their third single? And then for the famous breakdown Lisa did of how they didn't make money off CSC they are shown doing a radio interview, but that was done on Behind The Music. And then wasn't Lisa's "challenge" to the other girls actually in Entertainment Weekly and not Vibe as the movie states? It all just makes me doubt a lot of the movie.
Additionally TLC actually held Clive Davis at gun point. Were the guns shown in the movie? I remember them having the girls Lisa knew in the car on the way over, but was it portrayed as a hostage situation?

Quote    Reply   

Ginger1.vivamariah19436

#25 [url]

Oct 25 13 3:43 PM

hottiecasanova wrote:
kittykow105 wrote:
Didn't Mariah have some deal with Ben Marguiles? Can someone explain that situation?

If I remember correctly he got half her album royalties through Rainbow, which explains why she wasn't as well off as she should have been until the Virgin deal.
I think it was just for the debut album.

Q Magazine 1994:

First there was her rift with Ben Margulies. While she cautiously evades specifics. it seems that in pre-CBS days she signed a contract with him which gave him, she avers, nearly half of the millions from her massive debut album rather than just the publishing to which he was obviously entitled.

And wiki claims the bio book says this.  It doesn't.  So I'm not sure where this story came from:

According to one of Carey's biographers, Sony’s lawyers stepped in, and after a long and often bitter court battle that dragged on for over a year, both sides reportedly agreed that Ben would receive ten percent of Mariah’s earnings over the next ten years.

Doesn't make much sense.  All of her earnings?  And supposedly this court drama started in 1991.  Dragged on for over a year and then they signed that 10 year deal?  Then he got a % of her Virgin money. 

Quote    Reply   

hottiecasanova

"You think that's sexy? With the Rocket Pop's outside you?"

#26 [url]

Oct 25 13 3:47 PM

^I know it was through Rainbow, I did a search, but couldn't find the article I had read previous. I also remember reading something where they said she was afraid of going broke so she was giving her producers less and less money with each passing album. I think that was from 1999 or 2000.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#27 [url]

Oct 25 13 10:56 PM

I think a lot of people here like Fanmail, but I don't get it. At this point I barely like any of the songs. For me the album lacks the personality of their first two albums, and the more "futuristic" production is kind of cold.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#28 [url]

Oct 26 13 5:56 PM

^ It does lack a little personality I agree. It was ridiculously ahead of its time though which I think is why it gets so much love. Crazy Sexy Cool was basically the definition of 90's R&B as it was in that decade and Fanmail was like a nod to what it could be for the next decade. Defining R&B for the future (or how how TLC saw it at least).

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#29 [url]

Oct 26 13 6:01 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
^ It does lack a little personality I agree. It was ridiculously ahead of its time though which I think is why it gets so much love. Crazy Sexy Cool was basically the definition of 90's R&B as it was in that decade and Fanmail was like a nod to what it could be for the next decade. Defining R&B for the future (or how how TLC saw it at least).

Oh, I definitely agree it was different and forward-thinking, but I think that's separate from it being good smiley: laugh I don't have use for most of the songs on the album anymore. I think the only one I still listen to is "I'm Good At Being Bad." I definitely prefer the Prince vibe of CrazySexyCool. I need to revisit their debut because I haven't listened to it in full in a decade or more. I kind of like 3D, though it, too, seems to lack real personality. The songs are well-crafted, they just could have been done by almost anyone. "Damaged" is a real gem, though.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#30 [url]

Oct 26 13 8:20 PM

Yeah, I agree with you, Jason. Fanmail is nothing to write home about outside of "No Scrubs," "Unpretty," and "I'm Good At Being Bad." Drake's cover of "Fanmail" is better. I wouldn't even call most of it R&B. I use it for Left Eye's raps and that's about all.

3D is a disappointment and sounds like anyone could've made it because Left Eye died. CSC is their best work, of course, though I do love the debut, it's fun.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#32 [url]

Oct 27 13 4:35 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

Oh, I definitely agree it was different and forward-thinking, but I think that's separate from it being good smiley: laugh I don't have use for most of the songs on the album anymore. I think the only one I still listen to is "I'm Good At Being Bad." I definitely prefer the Prince vibe of CrazySexyCool. I need to revisit their debut because I haven't listened to it in full in a decade or more. I kind of like 3D, though it, too, seems to lack real personality. The songs are well-crafted, they just could have been done by almost anyone. "Damaged" is a real gem, though.

I really dislike 3D. After the powerful personalities of Fanmail and CSC, it really lacked any kind of character and direction. But I do agree, Damaged is flawless and one of their greatest songs. If it had been on Fanmail and released as a single it would easily have been a hit.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#33 [url]

Oct 27 13 4:35 PM

LegendaryShade wrote:
I love Fanmail *shrugs*

Don't worry, you aren't alone. Its one of my fave albums of all time smiley: happy smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Oct 27 13 5:39 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
LegendaryShade wrote:
I love Fanmail *shrugs*

Don't worry, you aren't alone. Its one of my fave albums of all time smiley: happy smiley: happy
Yes here I come again, once againsmiley: laugh But HOW can you say that, yet think "Full Moon" (Which has the same type of sound but MUCH better songs and clearly MUCH better vocals) is badsmiley: frownsmiley: frownsmiley: frownsmiley: frown

Quote    Reply   

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#37 [url]

Oct 27 13 6:29 PM

jasp17 wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
LegendaryShade wrote:
I love Fanmail *shrugs*

Yes here I come again, once againsmiley: laugh But HOW can you say that, yet think "Full Moon" (Which has the same type of sound but MUCH better songs and clearly MUCH better vocals) is badsmiley: frownsmiley: frownsmiley: frownsmiley: frown

I love how permanently pressed you are over Full Moon smiley: laugh

^ That's how to stan, right there.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#38 [url]

Oct 27 13 7:18 PM

I didn't realize there was a Fanmail vs Full Moon deal, but, yes, the latter is better It feels a bit warmer and more personal, even if it was progressive R&B music. It's more...full?

Quote    Reply   

LegendaryShade

Posts: 2,883 Throwing Shade Since Your Fave Was Still Relevant

#40 [url]

Oct 27 13 10:37 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
You guys aren't giving details of what you love about Fanmail laugh.gif
What do you want, flow charts? smiley: laugh No Scrubs and Unpretty are among their best work. The title track, Silly Ho, Good at Being Bad, My Life, Dear Lie, and Automatic slay me to this day.

I know CSC is regarded as their best album, but the futuristic production on Fanmail is more my style.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help