Remove this ad

#681 [url]

Feb 26 16 6:30 PM

carlos b fly wrote:

I love the fact I can read her interviews and it feels like a p!ss take parody but no, its legit and she really does still churn out nonsense like this unfiltered smiley: laugh

It truly doesn't seem real, until you see that it's Christina smiley: laugh

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#682 [url]

Feb 26 16 6:31 PM

seanjonmc wrote:
Martin E wrote:
I can't believe the woman is still dining out off of what essentially amounts to one decent album and a pile of mediocrity with a sprinkling of crap. I mean, if she hadn't had the success with the 'Stripped' era, would she even still be a thing?

Her fans hold on to the Stripped era so hard. It's almost all they've got. And it wasn't even that commercially successful or critically acclaimed. smiley: eyes

In Europe, Stripped was very commercially successful, one of the biggest albums of 2003 and actually eclipsed Britney's In The Zone. It was so big with its sales and single runs, there was a very real feeling Christina was going to outlast and topple Britney as a result of the era.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#683 [url]

Feb 26 16 6:34 PM

In the US Christina has declined with every album. Artists like P!nk and Kelly Clarkson have had more longevity in terms of being able to maintain relevance by having hits for a longer period of time. If Christina didn't have some of her feature credits from the past 4-5 years, she wouldn't have had anything of note. What was her last solo hit? I know she had that 1 top 10 from the hits set or something, but even that felt more like a hit off momentum than an actual hit that people care about.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#684 [url]

Feb 26 16 6:34 PM

seanjonmc wrote:

Never one to miss an opportunity to compliment herself, she talks about her versatile she is:

I can be very eclectic and switch genres. I can sing anything from Andrea Bocelli and Puff Daddy to The Rolling Stones and Dave Navarro to something more obscure and ballad-esque. Being half-Spanish myself, that’s also an important part of my journey.

Puff Daddy and Dave Navarro sing? I didn't realize.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#685 [url]

Feb 26 16 6:37 PM

carlos b fly wrote:

I love the fact I can read her interviews and it feels like a p!ss take parody but no, its legit and she really does still churn out nonsense like this unfiltered smiley: laugh

So true smiley: roll

Quote    Reply   

#686 [url]

Feb 26 16 6:44 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:
 For anyone keeping track, Lotus came out in Nov 2012, so that's another 4 year album break for Xtina. But 

I can't believe its been that long but she's never learned from taking unneeded big breaks every campaign. Her career would be in a much better state if she'd got albums out faster, even more so in the 2000's. She's lacking a connection with audiences because she just didn't pump out enough hits when she had the chance and takes ludicrous gaps that make it worse. There was no logical reason to wait four or five years after the success of Stripped. 

Or take another big break after that when Back To Basics flopped.

Yes, it was such a mistake to not release something like a year after the last Stripped single when she was an in-demand artist. And taking huge breaks between every album made no sense. She literally has no solid fan base.

You brought up a good point in the Rihanna thread - she/her team was really smart to keep striking when the iron was hot. Rihanna worked relentlessly for years but it really established her brand.

Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

#687 [url]

Feb 26 16 6:45 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:
Martin E wrote:
I can't believe the woman is still dining out off of what essentially amounts to one decent album and a pile of mediocrity with a sprinkling of crap. I mean, if she hadn't had the success with the 'Stripped' era, would she even still be a thing?

Her fans hold on to the Stripped era so hard. It's almost all they've got. And it wasn't even that commercially successful or critically acclaimed. smiley: eyes

In Europe, Stripped was very commercially successful, one of the biggest albums of 2003 and actually eclipsed Britney's In The Zone. It was so big with its sales and single runs, there was a very real feeling Christina was going to outlast and topple Britney as a result of the era.

True, I forget how big Stripped was in Europe.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#688 [url]

Feb 26 16 7:03 PM

seanjonmc wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:

Oh, it was huge. It really was a magnificent era for her in Europe. If she'd been smart, she'd have moved on that fast, much in the same way Pink did after her second album, cultivating it upon finding such a positive and responsive European fanbase. Instead, she wasted it with years of nothing and then turning out some naff Etta James inspired comeback album.

If Christina had been remotely smart, she could totally have entrenched in a really loyal European fanbase to carry her career as Pink did. Artists like Pink have showed you can more than thrive by working other key markets even if America isn't going wild for you.

Quote    Reply   

Gospelartist03

#690 [url]

Feb 27 16 11:07 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

Oh, it was huge. It really was a magnificent era for her in Europe. If she'd been smart, she'd have moved on that fast, much in the same way Pink did after her second album, cultivating it upon finding such a positive and responsive European fanbase. Instead, she wasted it with years of nothing and then turning out some naff Etta James inspired comeback album.

If Christina had been remotely smart, she could totally have entrenched in a really loyal European fanbase to carry her career as Pink did. Artists like Pink have showed you can more than thrive by working other key markets even if America isn't going wild for you.

But P!nk still sounds good though smiley: tongue She kills in America (even if not popular culture) and everywhere because she can still sing her a@@ off.  Definitely X made a misstep after Stripped but her voice is a big part of her decline, her striped tour was already sounding bad and when she did beautiful at grammys it was barley passable. I don't think her voice would've held up even this much if she had kept releasing albums and touring (which is what she needed to do) 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#691 [url]

Feb 28 16 7:11 AM

Gospelartist03 wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:

But P!nk still sounds good though smiley: tongue She kills in America (even if not popular culture) and everywhere because she can still sing her a@@ off.  Definitely X made a misstep after Stripped but her voice is a big part of her decline

Christina's voice has nothing to do with it. A good or bad voice can bank you success either way in the music industry. We live in a bloody world where Rihanna is close to having 18 #1's and nicking the record from one of the greatest vocalists of all time. Do I need to say more?

Christina sounded a mess on Stripped (and was even towards the end of her debut era) and replaced singing with wild screaming and grunting shouts but the album was successful and scored multiple hits. Her career went downhill due to taking overlong breaks rather than building up enough interest and fanbase with the general public while she was young (unlike Britney), upon each long break releasing more and more subpar, failed attempts at artistry material that continued to flop and her pretty vile personality becoming more apparent as the years went by. Not only were her songs now sh!t, her personality was too.  

Further, Pink has also been incredibly hit and miss in America as anyone with knowledge of her career would know. So despite her talent and singing voice, that has not been any kind of golden ticket to huge success in the States. Her chart and commercial success in America has always been very second fiddle to Europe and Australia.   

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Feb 28 16 7:14 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Gospelartist03

#692 [url]

Feb 28 16 1:37 PM

I somewhat disagree: The breaks really did hurt her no argument there BUT Christina sold herself as a vocalist. She went on and on during her debut how the difference between her and the gurls was she can blow. Although a bit strained she was still singing on stripped and that tour is when it really became obvious her voice wasn't gonna hold which had a big impact on her fanbase I think along with the whole dirty thing .
To your point she could've made cute pop songs she certainly has the voice To do that but it would've been a talked about career change as the whole point of Christina was she can sing and that was fading and I suspect that had something to do with her taking long breaks and seeking out odd projects to mask her declining voice!

And what pink era has been a failure in the U.S.? She's been very consistent no it doesn't compare to her Australia following but she's had consistent radio hits and sales for all of her albums minus 1

Quote    Reply   

#693 [url]

Feb 28 16 1:41 PM

I think Xtina was so desperate to separate herself from Britney she ended up destroying her career in the process. I bet she thought taking those big breaks and coming back with niche albums would show the world how great of an artist she is, when in reality people either lost interest or started disliking her.

^About her live singing voice-- when did she ever sound good? I remember hearing her live for the first time at the VMA's with Fred Durst and she sounded AWFUL. That was at the very beginning of her career-- how she managed she build up a reputation as one of her generation's "best vocalists" is beyond me.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#694 [url]

Feb 28 16 2:35 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I think Xtina was so desperate to separate herself from Britney she ended up destroying her career in the process. I bet she thought taking those big breaks and coming back with niche albums would show the world how great of an artist she is, when in reality people either lost interest or started disliking her.

^About her live singing voice-- when did she ever sound good? I remember hearing her live for the first time at the VMA's with Fred Durst and she sounded AWFUL. That was at the very beginning of her career-- how she managed she build up a reputation as one of her generation's "best vocalists" is beyond me.

Its unfair to say she never sounded good. Her vocal on GIAB (and earlier material) is actually respectable - clean, simple, lacking excessive runs and zero screaming. If she had stayed like that for her career, she wouldn't have turned into the total ear bleed she is now famed for. By the end of her debut, she was getting into dangerous territory with those really rough, growly runs on the All I Want Is You Remix and by the time she got to Stripped, she had thrown all vocal discipline out the window and that was that.

In regards to her big breaks and desperate (and failed) attempts at artistry, I agree. She tried too hard to be something she is not. Like Rihanna, you can't be more intelligent or creative than you are in order to appear interesting and when you go beyond that, you become exposed for how hollow an artist you are. Stay in your lane.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#695 [url]

Feb 28 16 2:45 PM

Gospelartist03 wrote:

And what pink era has been a failure in the U.S.? She's been very consistent no it doesn't compare to her Australia following but she's had consistent radio hits and sales for all of her albums minus 1

Did I say she'd had a flop era in America? No. So why are you asking? 

Its more than common knowledge Pink is an underappreciated artist in America, with up and down chart fortunes and lacking in consistent commercial performance compared to her peers. She's always been the underdog in the States out of the early 2000's pop princess explosion. She is hardly massive in America, they've never fully embraced her despite her brilliance and longevity, so lets not indulge this nonsense she "KILLS it" in American because she's got a great voice. There was actually an indepth FOMM discussion on this, with many feeling her image just didn't click with the US market and its always held her back from being as big as she could out there.

That's why people were so happy with her last album doing so well in America. It really felt like she was getting more recognition out there.

And again, Rihanna must be a +*!@$$* 20 octave vocal soprano then because she's p!ssed all over Pink in America.

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Feb 28 16 4:04 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#696 [url]

Feb 28 16 5:44 PM

P!nk is definitely underappreciated but she's had a great run career wise in the US and has been very consistent for the past decade. Starting with "Who Knew" she's had an unbroken string of successful singles (even getting her first solo #1s) and all of her albums have sold more than 1.5 million copies, including her GH set.

Where she's lacking is in the media coverage department, but that has more to do with her being about the music than her personal life splashed on Page Six. She has personality and she's spicy, but she knows when to be outspoken rather than being everywhere every single time.

Quote    Reply   

#697 [url]

Feb 28 16 5:56 PM

Kinda off topic - and I will admit I liked Christina in her earlier days - but I even remember her voice sounding earbleed here:

Which looks to be pretty early in her career, at least pre-Stripped. Like that was not a pretty vocal performance.

I can't leave out Whitney's shade because it's the best part of the performance:

"First of all, I'd like to thank Ms. Christina. I really wanna thank you. You are the one that I truly enjoy in today's music. You've done the best rendition of 'Run to You' BESIDE MYSELF. I thank you very much."

No matter how many times we talk about that, it will never get old. smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#698 [url]

Feb 28 16 6:29 PM

mcfan wrote:
P!nk is definitely underappreciated but she's had a great run career wise in the US and has been very consistent for the past decade. Starting with "Who Knew" she's had an unbroken string of successful singles (even getting her first solo #1s) and all of her albums have sold more than 1.5 million copies, including her GH set.

She has and she's picking up traction there too, The Truth About Love saw her doing really well. Would you say she's "KILLing it" in America though and she's a Grade A artist in the States? Like Rihanna? Beyoncé? Justin Bieber? Taylor Swift? We both know she isn't and its nothing to do with her talent or nonsense that she's huge in America because she can saaaaaang. There are two artists I've just named who have the vocal capacity of a asthmatic horsefly on their deathbed and they are two of America/the worlds biggest popstars. 

I should get in here before any basic b!tches try it - I think Pink is BRILLIANT fyi, unique, a captivating presence and the definition of an amazing popstar.  

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Feb 28 16 6:31 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#699 [url]

Feb 28 16 6:30 PM

seanjonmc wrote:
Kinda off topic - and I will admit I liked Christina in her earlier days - but I even remember her voice sounding earbleed here:

Which looks to be pretty early in her career, at least pre-Stripped. Like that was not a pretty vocal performance.

As I said, by All I Want Is You (early 2001) she had already entered into wailing banshee on the moor territory with her singing. She carried it into Stripped but it was coming into effect a lot by the end of her debut era with performances. Watching AIWIY performed is painful live, she's just grunting away with those silly red hair extensions.  

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#700 [url]

Feb 29 16 6:50 AM

jamiclever wrote:

The reason that Christina built such a name for herself without actually having anything beyond a couple of successful albums years is actually thanks to Britney. She marketed herself by attempting to be this "anti-Britney"/"The Britney that can sing" and it was always that Britney vs Christina that got her name out there. It's ironic, but if it wasn't for the person that she detested and was so jealous of, she would have been long since forgotten after Stripped.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help