Remove this ad

#5521 [url]

Oct 10 13 8:21 AM

Mariah was definitely slamming the dance/electro trend, I remember a tweet stating something like "Ugh all this dance stuff on the radio is getting ridiculous", but she didn't slam pop music as a whole.

Remove this ad

#5522 [url]

Oct 10 13 11:48 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
mimifan09 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
The lipping thing may have hurt a bit, but other people have had lipping controversies and have been fine. I think the lack of a strong video definitely hurt. The song had great momentum at first; really strong reviews and reception, a killer start at radio, some good promo. And then after the video dropped, the song just stalled. The song needed a strong video to take it to the next level (i.e. top 10). Mariah faces a lot of challenges other, younger artists do not, so she has to have everything line up well. Maybe the lack of a good video combined with bad press re: the lipping killed it. It also hurt that NY stations never seemed to really take to the track after their initial week or two of play.

The video premiered 3 days after the song.
Compare what happened after the release of the "#B" video to what happened after videos for "Wrecking Ball," "Roar," etc. were released. Obviously Mariah was never going to break streaming records, but the point is that videos often take songs to the next level by increasing streaming and downloads, which then gives a song more momentum and increases airplay. "#B" never quite took off in any area, so it ultimately did well but stalled. After the first few days of release when it did great, it never caught the next wave of momentum.
It wasn't just that the video didn't help the song. IMO, the video actually REALLY hurt the song. Like, after watching the video for the first time, it made me like the song a lot less. I haven't watched the video since then and have returned to loving the song, but that video was horrible. The way it was edited is hugely distracting and takes away from the song in every possible way. I love that Mariah wants to do it all by herself, but if she is the one responsible for that video edit, she NEEDS someone to make her stop.

#5523 [url]

Oct 10 13 1:45 PM

The visuals for the video were spot-on, but I think it's been proven time and time again that the public HATES 'slutty' Mariah (even though personally I love it). The public can take 'sexy', but it has to be in particular contexts i.e. 'Honey', 'My All' and 'Touch My Body'.

Kevon

Administrator

#5524 [url]

Oct 12 13 1:12 PM

Also there's a shift in what the standard for what was 'sexy' in music videos has shifted as well. Compared to what others are doing what Mariah does now is pretty tame.

Sexy with class:

tumblr_mmk8mhN5QQ1qd8zg3o1_500.gif?resiz

And sans:

rihanna-music-video-gif.gif

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

#5525 [url]

Oct 12 13 1:49 PM

I actually think Mariah looked great in the video, it was just her awkward movements and editing that ruined it. The weird thing is she edited it. Like, that spin thing she does towards the end, where she grabs herself and looks right into the camera- did she really see that and think "wow, that's sexy?"

I mean, come on Mariah. Had the video been edited better, it could have been really great. The shots of her closer up in the yellow dress are stunning.

MissyJG

#5526 [url]

Oct 12 13 1:57 PM

It wasn't so much the clothing she wore in #B, it was the awkwardness of her trying to be sexy and it being so repetative. I'm sure Mariah herself chose the shots. She said something about having control over the editing for videos on the premiere on AI. It just kinda shows that Mariah shouldn't feel the need to control everything. You need an outside perspective (something Mariah once said actually).

Last Edited By: MissyJG Oct 12 13 2:00 PM. Edited 1 time.

Stamos

#5528 [url]

Oct 12 13 2:06 PM

Well.. I didn't find her bike-sturbating scene necessary nor flattering tbh.
Other than that, she looked great in the video.

~~MCinGR  for the nostalgia ~~

robjv1

Posts: 10,760 True in love and wisdom, well off and witty, using god's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city.

#5529 [url]

Oct 12 13 3:40 PM

MCinGR wrote:
Well.. I didn't find her bike-sturbating scene necessary nor flattering tbh.
smiley: laughsmiley: laugh That's the perfect invented word to describe that.

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#5530 [url]

Oct 13 13 9:14 PM

I don't think there was anything overly sexual about the video but it just didn't have much else happening. It needed a semblance of a story line...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Remove this ad

#5531 [url]

Oct 13 13 10:08 PM

ADeadlyCombination wrote:
The visuals for the video were spot-on, but I think it's been proven time and time again that the public HATES 'slutty' Mariah (even though personally I love it). The public can take 'sexy', but it has to be in particular contexts i.e. 'Honey', 'My All' and 'Touch My Body'.

Please it's got nothing to do with her being sexy it has to do with her videos being boring and being about nothing but her looking sexy. Take #B it looks like there was suppose to be this storyline about a love affair in the country but it go lost in making sure they got as many sexy shots of Mariah as possible.

#5532 [url]

Oct 13 13 10:49 PM

jamiclever wrote:
I actually think Mariah looked great in the video, it was just her awkward movements and editing that ruined it. The weird thing is she edited it. Like, that spin thing she does towards the end, where she grabs herself and looks right into the camera- did she really see that and think "wow, that's sexy?"

I mean, come on Mariah. Had the video been edited better, it could have been really great. The shots of her closer up in the yellow dress are stunning.
The spinning thing and the dancing is supposed to be her paying homage to Nicole Kidman's scene in To Die For.

Kevon

Administrator

#5533 [url]

Oct 14 13 7:22 AM

Yeah the issue with the video was that nothing really happened in it. And the bit with her touching herself on the bike was pointless.

But remember they had very little time to put the video together as well.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

#5539 [url]

Dec 16 13 3:43 AM

#Beautiful made it to the year-end Pitchfork list at #78

Amidst the continuing onslaught of reflexively anthemic club-R&B stompers, the carefree laziness of #Beautiful could almost be considered polemical, except that its makers are too fully immersed in the execution to ever come across as calculating. Still, you have to wonder at the combination of the arrangement’s casually lurching summer-funk raunch with Miguel’s opening offer to let you “hop on the back of my bike…”, something like the musical equivalent of a Ryan Gosling “Hey Girl” gif. You have to wonder, too, at the patience with which Mariah waits to make her proper entrance on a song billed to her, but of course she knows exactly what she is doing. Her eruption of harmonies in the second verse shifts the song from the realm of the deeply satisfying to that of the unexpectedly thrilling. If there is a strategy behind all of this, it’s simply to explore the pleasures afforded by the meeting of minds of two pros, artists so intimately attuned to their craft that they can knock off what already feels like a songbook standard without ever seeming to try. —Tim Finney

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9288-the-top-tracks-of-2013/3/

Quick Reply

bbcode help