Remove this ad

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#5501 [url]

Sep 30 13 9:17 PM

Just because the song wasn't overplayed and didn't go #1 or Top 10 with 200 million audience doesn't mean it is not a valuable hit. I believe #Beautiful will definitely be well-remembered, and the majority of the pop-music-listening public clearly likes and knows the song.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Remove this ad

#5503 [url]

Oct 1 13 3:57 AM

rooney1905 wrote:
NhWxMaN wrote:
Was it the lip sync scandals that turned off the programmers?

I was with a good friend and her 2 YO child yesterday. I hadn't seen her in 6 mo. So #B came on and she goes... i absolutely love this song. (mind you, she is not a mariah fan) and her little 2 YO kid started singing the track... knew all the lyrics and even the mariah-isms. it was really cool! i hadn't experienced something like that since WBT.

i honestly don't know anyone who doesn't like #b. even the mariah haters absolutely love the song. thats why its still so hard for me to understand why it fell so quickly at radio.

Maybe you are on to something. I always look at Mariah like the Dow Jones Index. One bad news story and her stock takes a tumble. Fortunately for her she has the gift that keeps on giving in 'AIWFCIY' that usually raises her stock back up. People love to hate her but everyone I encountered loved #B. It just wasn't given the chance it deserved at radio. Which is fine. The game has changed but Mariah should look to get those streams and view counts up. The song is one of the strongest mainstream songs released this year IMO.

I completely agree with this. Unfortunately for Mariah, she's always walking a fine line of the general public loving/hating her--undeservedly. More than any other celebrity I can think of. The tides change so drastically. AIWFCIY is definitely her saving grace.

As far as low streaming, I know there were initial issues with that. Did that affect the overall total or is she just not getting views? I never kept up with all that. I do think it is weird how low some of her videos are.

#5504 [url]

Oct 1 13 9:14 AM

matixmc wrote:
rooney1905 wrote:
NhWxMaN wrote:
Was it the lip sync scandals that turned off the programmers?

I was with a good friend and her 2 YO child yesterday. I hadn't seen her in 6 mo. So #B came on and she goes... i absolutely love this song. (mind you, she is not a mariah fan) and her little 2 YO kid started singing the track... knew all the lyrics and even the mariah-isms. it was really cool! i hadn't experienced something like that since WBT.

i honestly don't know anyone who doesn't like #b. even the mariah haters absolutely love the song. thats why its still so hard for me to understand why it fell so quickly at radio.

Maybe you are on to something. I always look at Mariah like the Dow Jones Index. One bad news story and her stock takes a tumble. Fortunately for her she has the gift that keeps on giving in 'AIWFCIY' that usually raises her stock back up. People love to hate her but everyone I encountered loved #B. It just wasn't given the chance it deserved at radio. Which is fine. The game has changed but Mariah should look to get those streams and view counts up. The song is one of the strongest mainstream songs released this year IMO.

I completely agree with this. Unfortunately for Mariah, she's always walking a fine line of the general public loving/hating her--undeservedly. More than any other celebrity I can think of. The tides change so drastically. AIWFCIY is definitely her saving grace.

As far as low streaming, I know there were initial issues with that. Did that affect the overall total or is she just not getting views? I never kept up with all that. I do think it is weird how low some of her videos are.

Her veiws are low overall. These days videos play a huge part in a songs success thanks to streaming and the fact the music bizz is even more about visuals then it has ever been. I'm hoping one of the main goals of her and her team is to make sure the following videos from this Album are striking. She doesn't need to dance or have the biggest budget to have a really creative video.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#5505 [url]

Oct 1 13 10:27 AM

The lipping thing may have hurt a bit, but other people have had lipping controversies and have been fine. I think the lack of a strong video definitely hurt. The song had great momentum at first; really strong reviews and reception, a killer start at radio, some good promo. And then after the video dropped, the song just stalled. The song needed a strong video to take it to the next level (i.e. top 10). Mariah faces a lot of challenges other, younger artists do not, so she has to have everything line up well. Maybe the lack of a good video combined with bad press re: the lipping killed it. It also hurt that NY stations never seemed to really take to the track after their initial week or two of play.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#5506 [url]

Oct 1 13 10:36 AM

The song came up on my iPod yesterday, and I hadn't listened to it in a week or two. It really is terrific:

- love the opening guitar line; Mariah hasn't had something bluesy like that on a single
- love the "uh uh you're beautiful" backing vocals that start the song
- Miguel kills his verses; his timbre is sexy, and the lyric is vivid
- i love the slightly distorted beat and how it harkens back to Motown
- love the break that (and hand claps) that come in the break between Miguel's verses and before Mariah's verse
- the chorus is sublime; it's breezy, sexy, and melodic
- love Mariah's backing on Miguel's first "to me, to me"
- Mariah's entrance with "I like when you run red lights" is everything
- the backing Mariah's joining in really are like her own personal girl group as one critic wrote
- Mariah's solo chorus is great and calls to mind her sunny 90s pop
- Mariah and Miguel playing off one another toward the end is nice
- going back to the outro with the bluesy riff gives the song more depth

#5507 [url]

Oct 1 13 11:26 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
The lipping thing may have hurt a bit, but other people have had lipping controversies and have been fine. I think the lack of a strong video definitely hurt. The song had great momentum at first; really strong reviews and reception, a killer start at radio, some good promo. And then after the video dropped, the song just stalled. The song needed a strong video to take it to the next level (i.e. top 10). Mariah faces a lot of challenges other, younger artists do not, so she has to have everything line up well. Maybe the lack of a good video combined with bad press re: the lipping killed it. It also hurt that NY stations never seemed to really take to the track after their initial week or two of play.

The video premiered 3 days after the song.

But I agree the video did not help at all and as others have said, hopefully she and her team now realise the importance of a great video nowadays. 

#5508 [url]

Oct 1 13 12:20 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
agreed

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#5509 [url]

Oct 1 13 12:58 PM

mimifan09 wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

The video premiered 3 days after the song.
Compare what happened after the release of the "#B" video to what happened after videos for "Wrecking Ball," "Roar," etc. were released. Obviously Mariah was never going to break streaming records, but the point is that videos often take songs to the next level by increasing streaming and downloads, which then gives a song more momentum and increases airplay. "#B" never quite took off in any area, so it ultimately did well but stalled. After the first few days of release when it did great, it never caught the next wave of momentum.

#5510 [url]

Oct 1 13 1:27 PM

^ Well I would say it had a month of increasing at radio and then when it reached Memorial Day weekend, it never jumped that hurdle, it wasn't put into power rotation and stalled. Combining both versions of the song that were on iTunes at that time, would have had the song just outside the top 10 and it would have stayed there for a good while so it was building up nicely right up to memorial day weekend. And the song was steady in digital sales until almost July.

I think releasing the video the same week as the song was great cause they were really trying to get the song promoted on Idol and to debut as high as it could on the Hot 100 cause there was no telling how long the song would last on the charts, on radio etc. given her string of singles since "Obsessed" and ageism and if the song had plummeted on radio and on iTunes after its first week, the video would never have had an impact anyway. But ultimately rushing out the video did hinder the songs performance cause if they had taken the time to craft a great video, premiering it on GMA on May 24th (the start of Memorial Day weekend), it definitely would have helped.

Last Edited By: mimifan09 Oct 1 13 1:37 PM. Edited 3 times.

Remove this ad

#5511 [url]

Oct 2 13 4:57 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
The song came up on my iPod yesterday, and I hadn't listened to it in a week or two. It really is terrific:

- love the opening guitar line; Mariah hasn't had something bluesy like that on a single
- love the "uh uh you're beautiful" backing vocals that start the song
- Miguel kills his verses; his timbre is sexy, and the lyric is vivid
- i love the slightly distorted beat and how it harkens back to Motown
- love the break that (and hand claps) that come in the break between Miguel's verses and before Mariah's verse
- the chorus is sublime; it's breezy, sexy, and melodic
- love Mariah's backing on Miguel's first "to me, to me"
- Mariah's entrance with "I like when you run red lights" is everything
- the backing Mariah's joining in really are like her own personal girl group as one critic wrote
- Mariah's solo chorus is great and calls to mind her sunny 90s pop
- Mariah and Miguel playing off one another toward the end is nice
- going back to the outro with the bluesy riff gives the song more depth

Agree with it ALL! #B really is perfection. I could not have asked for anything more from MC. It is one of the best songs released this year, regardless of chart performance. I obviously wish her all the best when it comes to chart success and would love her to get more #1's, but I'd be more than happy with a solid album that has songs as high quality as #B.

Last Edited By: matixmc Oct 2 13 5:10 AM. Edited 3 times.

Kevon

Administrator

#5512 [url]

Oct 2 13 11:55 AM

^Yeah definitely my song of the year. And I'm not just saying that because it's Mariah.

They work so well together. The song doesn't really work as well when they've performed it solo.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#5513 [url]

Oct 4 13 10:59 AM

Didn't Mariah sort of criticize pop radio - or at least pop music - at one point this year? I know she mentioned being tired of dance music. I wonder if that had anything to do with the stall at pop radio.

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#5514 [url]

Oct 4 13 11:12 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
Didn't Mariah sort of criticize pop radio - or at least pop music - at one point this year? I know she mentioned being tired of dance music. I wonder if that had anything to do with the stall at pop radio.

Reaching much? She said she wanted to bring R&B back, she didn't slam pop radio or pop music.

mcfan

#Beautiful

#5515 [url]

Oct 4 13 11:22 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

Reaching much? laugh.gif She said she wanted to bring R&B back, she didn't slam pop radio or pop music.
She did both She shaded Dance music being all over Pop radio LOL

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#5516 [url]

Oct 4 13 11:27 AM

mcfan wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

Reaching much? laugh.gif She said she wanted to bring R&B back, she didn't slam pop radio or pop music.
She did both laugh.gif She shaded Dance music being all over Pop radio LOL

I remember the article, but she wasn't really criticizing as much as basically saying she wants R&B music to make a comeback, which makes sense since she's an R&B artist. But from that to jump to "that made the song stall at pop radio", come on now.

mcfan

#Beautiful

#5517 [url]

Oct 4 13 11:39 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
mcfan wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

She did both laugh.gif She shaded Dance music being all over Pop radio LOL

I remember the article, but she wasn't really criticizing as much as basically saying she wants R&B music to make a comeback, which makes sense since she's an R&B artist. But from that to jump to "that made the song stall at pop radio", come on now. laugh.gif
No no, it wasn't an article she was just replying to someone on twitter.

Anyway, yes it is a reach. 

Kevon

Administrator

#5518 [url]

Oct 4 13 11:56 AM

I think she has shaded it... was it not during that radio conference they did when launching 'Triumphant'? I remember her saying something about dance music being all over the radio when she was pregnant and that it was driving her crazy or something like that

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

hottiecasanova

"You think that's sexy? With the Rocket Pop's outside you?"

#5519 [url]

Oct 4 13 12:00 PM

kevo2002 wrote:
I think she has shaded it... was it not during that radio conference they did when launching 'Triumphant'? I remember her saying something about dance music being all over the radio when she was pregnant and that it was driving her crazy or something like that laugh.gif

Yeah, it was the radio conference. She also said that she and LA Reid looked at each other and said "how did this happen?". 

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#5520 [url]

Oct 4 13 12:08 PM

hottiecasanova wrote:
kevo2002 wrote:
I think she has shaded it... was it not during that radio conference they did when launching 'Triumphant'? I remember her saying something about dance music being all over the radio when she was pregnant and that it was driving her crazy or something like that laugh.gif

Yeah, it was the radio conference. She also said that she and LA Reid looked at each other and said "how did this happen?". 

If it was at a radio conference, I don't think my point was a stretch. I also don't get Mariah dissing dance music when that community has historically been very supportive of her.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help