Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#101 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:10 PM

I love Usher and am always kind of excited to see him return but I'm so cautious now. I just don't know what I'm getting anymore, he's compromised and sold out his brand too much. I'm here for cool R&B Usher bit no interest at all at God awful EDM sell out rubbish.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

#102 [url]

Aug 26 16 12:04 PM

This is the track you get with the album pre-order. I like the production of the chorus:

Sounds like Timbaland, which is nice if it is because it feels different from him. 

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#109 [url]

Sep 17 16 6:07 PM

Has the selling out really come back to bite him on the ass and his audience have jumped ship? I wasn't expecting crazy numbers but he's had hits recently and is pretty much R&B royalty by this stage. Those numbers are what I'd expect from Keri Hilson or Ciara (on a bad day).

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#110 [url]

Sep 17 16 6:52 PM

Depressing.

And we thought 58k for Mariah was doomsday. I fear for the next album..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#111 [url]

Sep 18 16 2:32 PM

Wow. That is beyond pitiful. But as I've said before I think he totally alienated his core fan base with the phony EDM bandwagon-jumping. He should've stuck with r&b even if it was 'out' at the time.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#112 [url]

Sep 18 16 4:12 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
Has the selling out really come back to bite him on the ass? 

That and "No Limit" (aka the single currently getting played at radio) is too generic. His promotion was also MIAM release week level. A mess. 

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#113 [url]

Sep 18 16 7:03 PM

mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

That and "No Limit" (aka the single currently getting played at radio) is too generic. His promotion was also MIAM release week level. A mess. 

But.....but he had an album launch concert that Ramona and Dorinda went to?!!! smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#114 [url]

Sep 18 16 7:10 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
Wow. That is beyond pitiful. But as I've said before I think he totally alienated his core fan base with the phony EDM bandwagon-jumping. He should've stuck with r&b even if it was 'out' at the time.

I remember discussing this during his last album (maybe because of weak sales or flop singles too, I can't remember) but people were saying then that his albums were going to divide his audience too much and deal both halves out. If you liked the EDM pop, you'd be put off by the R&B or vice versa if you were an R&B lover. You just don't know what you're investing in when you pick up his album anymore.

There's just not enough of a connection between those two genres to make it work. He really should have stuck to making R&B and trying to push it with cooler, more chart current sounds like The Weeknd or what not. He didn't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

A shame in all honesty, as I regard Usher the last of the successful male R&B greats.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#115 [url]

Sep 19 16 10:53 AM

carlos b fly wrote:
mcfan wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

But.....but he had an album launch concert that Ramona and Dorinda went to?!!! smiley: laugh

Dorinda was getting all kinds of LIFE from it on her Instagram story

Quote    Reply   

Gospelartist03

#116 [url]

Sep 19 16 1:07 PM

damn this is nelly furtado level bad and my feed right now is full of anyone that has ever met usher pimping his album, you know its bad when the D list is trying to rally the troops for you.

It'll hopefully give him a chance to hit the reset button, he probably needs to take time off and make people miss him, it feels like all his recent eras run together with constant singles

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#117 [url]

Sep 19 16 2:56 PM

The album isn't bad though. It's actually cohesive and gives a lot of space to R&B.

Perhaps it's too contemporary, but there are a few songs that stand out like "Missin U" and "Tell Me" are jams.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#118 [url]

Sep 21 16 12:26 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

I remember discussing this during his last album (maybe because of weak sales or flop singles too, I can't remember) but people were saying then that his albums were going to divide his audience too much and deal both halves out. If you liked the EDM pop, you'd be put off by the R&B or vice versa if you were an R&B lover. You just don't know what you're investing in when you pick up his album anymore.

There's just not enough of a connection between those two genres to make it work. He really should have stuck to making R&B and trying to push it with cooler, more chart current sounds like The Weeknd or what not. He didn't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

A shame in all honesty, as I regard Usher the last of the successful male R&B greats.

He might have gotten a couple of quick hits with the EDM at the time, but ultimately it alienated his core audience which is the last thing you want to do. Tbh I think it's because he's not a writer so he doesn't really know who he is as an artist; he probably listened to some A&R guy on what to do.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#119 [url]

Sep 21 16 6:11 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

He might have gotten a couple of quick hits with the EDM at the time, but ultimately it alienated his core audience which is the last thing you want to do. 

Precisely. I think it was personally short sighted and suicidal. And look where it got him.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#120 [url]

Sep 29 16 6:37 PM

I like Rivals, Tell Me and Stronger. Rivals should've been the first single imo. Then send Stronger to Pop.The rest of the album sounds like the same long boring song to me.

Last Edited By: BeyondIdolization Sep 29 16 6:45 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help