Jan 14 13 10:21 PM

this is so depressing

Remove this ad

MamaKaiyan

#22 [url]

Jan 15 13 4:46 AM

canadianjay wrote:
I found this comment from Nigel very interesting

"Everybody I've ever seen live sings out of tune, even the greatest singers in the world. And of course if you make a single nowadays, they'll autotune it anyway. So is there more we should be discussing rather than, 'You're pitchy'? I'm so sick of that remark."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.ca/ustv/s91/american-idol/news/a450958/american-idol-boss-nigel-lythgoe-sick-of-pitchy-

I personally feel if your a singer you should be able to sing live...in tune. But I guess American Idol is looking for something different this year.

So, is he saying they aren't looking for the greatest singer because there are computers that can fix a singers imperfections? Isn't the whole point of AI to find vocalists? I think it matters a lot if they are out of tune. AI is supposed to be first and foremost about the voice, imo.

Is the something different he is looking for, what Nicki has been descrbing in various interviews...a character that entertains and doesn't necessarily has to have the best voice.

No more homework. No more papers. No more tests.
I am officially done with school.
And, I have officially received my PhD.
Rima. Got. It. Together. And. Made
. It. Through. The Rain.
Now, need a job.
haha

Last Edited By: MamaKaiyan Jan 15 13 10:18 AM. Edited 1 time.

MamaKaiyan

#23 [url]

Jan 15 13 5:23 AM

I like the way Keith Urban describes Mariah, it's similar to how  Ryan Seacrest did. I don't know if it was posted, since I haven't been here in a few days. It was in those short Idol videos that Mariah, Keith, Randy and Nicki did.

But he said: "I think all four of us try our best to get [the contestants] to breathe. Mariah is great at that. She's like take a breath, take your time. She is very maternal. And, ya know, helps them to get in their zone more than any of us." 

. It. Through. The Rain.
Now, need a job.
haha

Last Edited By: MamaKaiyan Jan 15 13 5:44 AM. Edited 1 time.

Colson

#24 [url]

Jan 15 13 9:34 AM

canadianjay wrote:

"Everybody I've ever seen live sings out of tune, even the greatest singers in the world. And of course if you make a single nowadays, they'll autotune it anyway. So is there more we should be discussing rather than, 'You're pitchy'? I'm so sick of that remark."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.ca/ustv/s91/american-idol/news/a450958/american-idol-boss-nigel-lythgoe-sick-of-pitchy-

I personally feel if your a singer you should be able to sing live...in tune. But I guess American Idol is looking for something different this year.

I don't understand Nigel's comment. If someone is singing 'pitchy', then that's what it is. No need to sugar coat it and make it into something it's not. Unless he's just saying he wants the judges to use another adjective other than 'pitchy'.

MamaKaiyan

#25 [url]

Jan 15 13 9:58 AM

Colson wrote:
canadianjay wrote:

I don't understand Nigel's comment. If someone is singing 'pitchy', then that's what it is. No need to sugar coat it and make it into something it's not. Unless he's just saying he wants the judges to use another adjective other than 'pitchy'.

See, I don't understand it either. I took it a few ways, including the way you described it. But, then he also talks about the greatest singers in the world singing out of tune and people using autotune. And, then he says: "Any information that they can feed into helping the kid in that short period of time they've got to judge, I think is great," he said. "The different angles that they can come from, knowing that it isn't just about the voice and really, does it matter if they sing out of tune a little bit?"

And, again, YES, I think it matters if they sing out of tune. I thought AI was a singing competition. So I don't understand those remarks either.

. It. Through. The Rain.
Now, need a job.
haha

Last Edited By: MamaKaiyan Jan 15 13 10:03 AM. Edited 1 time.

Kevon

Administrator

#26 [url]

Jan 15 13 10:04 AM

It all echoes with what Nicki said about it being about the persona over the music now, which I don't agree with. That's the sad state of the music industry nowadays, and Nicki embodies that.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

MamaKaiyan

#27 [url]

Jan 15 13 10:16 AM

kevo2002 wrote:
It all echoes with what Nicki said about it being about the persona over the music now, which I don't agree with. That's the sad state of the music industry nowadays, and Nicki embodies that.

Very sad state. Maybe one day they'll wake-up.

. It. Through. The Rain.
Now, need a job.
haha

#28 [url]

Jan 15 13 10:33 AM

MamaKaiyan wrote:
kevo2002 wrote:

Very sad state. Maybe one day they'll wake-up.
Which makes no sense, seeing as how Adele had the best selling album two years in a row. The woman is nearing 25 million sold world wide, its clear that people still respond to great vocalist, the music just has to be right. 

#29 [url]

Jan 15 13 10:34 AM

FOMM-Friends believe me at first AI will be THE Nicki Minaj Show - BUT everybody gets sick of an attention seeking stupid b...h who always wants to be the center point.

Mariah being sincere, intelligent, empathetic, demure and supportive is BEST for her (and watching the clips it seems she is going this route) -> at the end she will be the one laughing out loud, believe me!

To top it all, she really should use AI for some acapella moments showing them ALL who the [email protected] [email protected] biggest singer in the WORLD is!! I hope she did and if not I hope she WILL!!

MamaKaiyan

#30 [url]

Jan 15 13 10:40 AM

sandranew wrote:
FOMM-Friends believe me at first AI will be THE Nicki Minaj Show - BUT everybody gets sick of an attention seeking stupid b...h who always wants to be the center point.

Mariah being sincere, intelligent, empathetic, demure and supportive is BEST for her (and watching the clips it seems she is going this route) -> at the end she will be the one laughing out loud, believe me!

To top it all, she really should use AI for some acapella moments showing them ALL who the [email protected] [email protected] biggest singer in the WORLD is!! I hope she did and if not I hope she WILL!!

Ryan Seacrest talked about at least one time Mariah sung to show a contestant what was talking about or something like that. Will AI show that, well, I guess we shall see.

. It. Through. The Rain.
Now, need a job.
haha

Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#31 [url]

Jan 15 13 11:15 AM

^I hope so. That's something you seldom get to see. A judge with actual talent, mentoring. I mean, we saw Nicole sing IWALY but it was just to show off rather than help a contestant.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

#35 [url]

Jan 15 13 1:25 PM

kittykow105 wrote:
He/She was not lying. Nicki was very bubbly and fun on Ellen. She talked about Mariah and Ellen gave her a bracelet saying "Best friends" and that she should give the other one to Mariah lol.

Yet it was still an obvious troll moment, bye.

#36 [url]

Jan 15 13 1:28 PM

Oh stop guys I think fans are more worked up about this little cat fight more then Mariah or Nicki. Nicki admited to be out of line and that she acted like a crazy person on Ellen. I don't know but I think her feeling were hurt because she loves Mariah and she felt she didn't want her there. So I just hope both of them can make up cause they seemed great together while making Up Out My Face and it's not worth feeling uncomfortable while doing a show as big as Idol.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#37 [url]

Jan 15 13 2:34 PM

I haven't seen her on Ellen yet, but Nicki was very engaging on Leno last night. And she didn't say one negative thing about Mariah (no shade either). She mentioned "UOMF" and also how she loves Mariah's music. While Nicki obviously was OOC in the video that leaked and said dumb stuff on twitter, as of late she has handled it all very well. Mariah has been the one still making petty remarks.

SISQO MC

#38 [url]

Jan 15 13 2:39 PM

She was pleading on Ellen that she wasn't really a Psycho. Guess she realizes that she didn't go over well and everyone sided with Mariah. The krazy hair and outfits weren't helping her Psycho image either. Enter in normal clothes and normal wigs and a calm demeanor.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#39 [url]

Jan 15 13 2:45 PM

MamaKaiyan wrote:
canadianjay wrote:

So, is he saying they aren't looking for the greatest singer because there are computers that can fix a singers imperfections? Isn't the whole point of AI to find vocalists? I think it matters a lot if they are out of tune. AI is supposed to be first and foremost about the voice, imo.

Is the something different he is looking for, what Nicki has been descrbing in various interviews...a character that entertains and doesn't necessarily has to have the best voice.
I don't know that the show itself has ever said it's a purely singing show. It probably started off that way, but now they stress performing, playing instruments, etc. (that's why The Voice came out with its concept...and their winners have flopped, for what it's worth). The reality is that a lot of people are doing well right now despite not being great singers. I hope the show doesn't just dismiss the ability to sing, but at the same time people can be great artists without being a great singer.

Colson

#40 [url]

Jan 15 13 3:06 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
I haven't seen her on Ellen yet, but Nicki was very engaging on Leno last night. And she didn't say one negative thing about Mariah (no shade either). She mentioned "UOMF" and also how she loves Mariah's music. While Nicki obviously was OOC in the video that leaked and said dumb stuff on twitter, as of late she has handled it all very well. Mariah has been the one still making petty remarks.

That's because she's realized that people aren't going to tolerate her erratic behavior on this show and the negative feedback I'm sure was overwhelming so she had to adjust. It's called media training. I wouldn't be surprised if she has another 'slip up' during the live shows and all this 'acting', engaging, that she's been doing lately will go out the window.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help