Remove this ad

#4041 [url]

Feb 9 16 12:14 PM

I thought the performance was great. She threw a bunch of different styles in there-- there were times where I thought she was channeling Julie Andrews, Mariah (she really surprised me with those little inflections and hand movements), and Whitney-- but her voice is obviously in great shape and she hit those money notes terrifically, so I can't really complain.

And, honestly, out of all the artists we have today, I'd put Gaga way up there as one of the ones who should be taken seriously as an artist. She has the talent, the rock star persona-- even if her music isn't always necessarily perfect, I truly think she is the real deal.

Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#4042 [url]

Feb 9 16 12:39 PM

^The way she "rose to fame" (i.e. the attention seeking) may have put her on the map but I think it's kind of hindered her longer term because she actually can sing and has talent. The whole "Madonna wannabe" thing actually does a disservice to her as a singer.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#4043 [url]

Feb 9 16 12:55 PM

jamiclever wrote:

And, honestly, out of all the artists we have today, I'd put Gaga way up there as one of the ones who should be taken seriously as an artist. She has the talent, the rock star persona-- even if her music isn't always necessarily perfect, I truly think she is the real deal.

She can technically sing, but her artistry and persona is phony and mostly stolen from others. 

carlos b fly

Administrator

#4044 [url]

Feb 9 16 4:23 PM

jamiclever wrote:

I think I'd agree with that, at least in terms of the current major female popstars. She has real talent. The image and nonsense around it began to impact the music but I think we're getting back on track now. I do find Gaga such an exciting artist and The Fame/The Fame Monster era was the apex of how a popstar can just do everything so, so right with music, visuals, videos and true cultural spectacle.

#4045 [url]

Feb 9 16 6:10 PM

Why you guys say that the performance was all live? For me sounded pre-recorded.

Remove this ad

#4046 [url]

Feb 9 16 9:20 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
jamiclever wrote:

She can technically sing, but her artistry and persona is phony and mostly stolen from others. 
How so? I know some of her music has been accused of being "reductive", but I wouldn't say her artistry is phony. She has always said that she admires all kinds of different artists and music-- Broadway, rock, dance-- and she incorporates whatever she loves into whatever she's doing. 

Something I appreciate about Gaga is how hard she tries. IMO a big thing that makes someone an artist is that desperation to be the best and do your best, and I feel that from Gaga probably more than anyone in the industry. She always shoots for the stars-- whether or not she actually reaches them is debatable, but at least she's all in.

Gospelartist03

#4047 [url]

Feb 9 16 11:28 PM

Goathi wrote:
Why you guys say that the performance was all live? For me sounded pre-recorded.

anything can be lipped, but I highly doubt it, it was a free flowing piano version with no rhythm to keep track, she even pauses when people start clapping towards the end, you can hear the nerves in the very beginning, the celine inspired chest pump too  pretty sure it was live. 

carlos b fly

Administrator

#4049 [url]

Jun 3 16 7:33 AM

Yes, I think this would be a good one. We've got the new Gaga thread so I'll move this to Hall Of Fame.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help