Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11561 [url]

May 12 15 6:24 PM

Vincent wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:With all the Uptown Funk hoopla, I've been revisiting One Sweet Day.
Me, too, though more so now because of #1s. Anyway, I was listening to it last night, and Mariah is such a force on "OSD." When she comes in on the song, it changes everything. BIIM have nice harmonies and had some nice songs, but hearing Mariah up against all of their solo parts you really hear how much personality (not to mention her timbre) she has vocally.

I did the same a couple weeks ago and fell in love with the song again. She definitely makes it laugh.gif I definitely prefer the a cappella and Chucky's Remix to the original, though.
In a general sense I prefer them, too, but I can't deny the album version has a more "epic" feel to it. I just have to be in the right mood for that style of production.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

NhWxMaN

#11562 [url]

May 12 15 7:23 PM

The Random Mariah Thoughts Thread

Nigel blames mariah and Nicki for AI's demise. He is so out of touch. The show was flopping before mariah and nicki... And the producers used them to try to drum up publicity. Then it backfired.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3077457/American-Idol-boss-Nigel-Lythgoe-blames-Mariah-Carey-Nicki-Minaj-s-demise.html

Quote    Reply   

#11563 [url]

May 12 15 7:23 PM

Ginger1 wrote:
LaDiDa wrote:
For the nostalgia, FOMM from 2001. Unfortunately, the posts aren't archived, but you can see the topics.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010803174732/http://pub2.ezboard.com/ffriendsofmariahmessageboardmariahnews?page=1
That Anton guy was the worst stan of any artist I have ever seen.

La Musica, Doc Matters, modog, Monarch Butterfly, Maz, JulieH, JeterLuva (who occasionally posts, but I see you more at The House), MaddyBeBettaz (who was that again?).

Oh and back in the dark ages:

Can someone make a RealVideo of Making the Video? - Moni  globalBlack.gif - (7) - 6/3/01 11:17:37 am

smiley: laugh What about when ezboard had the voice record feature for posts?

I miss all those people!

Quote    Reply   

#11565 [url]

May 13 15 1:04 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
mcfan wrote:
"See You Again" is declining in sales week by week. It may still be #1 but it's Always posting decreases.
First of all, my point was more to seanjohn who predicted it would be done within 4 weeks. I wasn't getting any deeper.

Secondly, I don't know why you seem to only look at sales. "SYA" is posting huge gains in airplay that make up for any sales decline (and it's still #1 in downloads anyway). It will be #1 for at least another week or two, but probably more unless something huge comes along.

That was me that said that about 4 weeks.  Unless he did as well.  But yeah looks like I was wrong there.  I didn't expect it to last so long, but I don't mind because I love Charlie Puth.

Quote    Reply   

#11566 [url]

May 13 15 2:35 AM

0511-mariah-carey-birthday-cake-TMZ-01

Mariah Carey got some real sole food for Mother’s Day this year … a massive cake in the shape of a shoe made with REAL gold.

We’re told Mariah’s manager sent the scrumptious slipper to her house as a Mother’s Day gift … and had it specially made by Kailava -- a company featured on "Cake Boss: Next Great Baker" and known for extreme edible sculptures.

Other than the mirror base that displayed the sugary shoe, everything on the cake was edible … even the gold … which is probably why it was worth a couple thousand dollars.

Even though this size 8 could fit perfectly around her foot, the best place for it is deep in her gut. Brings a whole new meaning to foot-in-mouth syndrome.

0511-SUB-mariah-carey-birthday-cake-TMZ-01

Last Edited By: ShayneFly May 13 15 2:37 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11567 [url]

May 13 15 10:33 AM

By the way, physical copies of albums are still outselling digital ones in the U.S., though the gap continues to narrow:

www.billboard.com/files/pdfs/Bulletin/may-8-2015-billboard-bulletin.pdf

Last chart week 4,224,000 albums were sold last week in the USA.

1,827,000 were digital albums.

2,397,000 were physical albums (cds, cassettes and vinyl).

I just thought that was interesting because we hear people say "CDs are dead!" Well, they still sell better than digital albums. With streaming increasing more and more, digital albums may never actually be the dominant method for albums.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#11568 [url]

May 13 15 10:41 AM

It's important to note that the increasing market for vinyls is also part of the reason the physical format is still holding on. Vinyl sales continue to increase every year to new peaks. CDs are still a big part of the music market though. Digital is never going to catch up imo.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11569 [url]

May 13 15 10:59 AM

^ Sure, but it's not necessarily a notable addition. In 2014 vinyl sales accounted for 3.6% of sales in the U.S., so we still aren't talking huge numbers.

Separately, I just saw on wikipedia that "Say Somethin'" hit #1 in TRL. Is that true?!?! I don't remember that at all. Wow.

Quote    Reply   

jrsoares

#11570 [url]

May 13 15 11:17 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
By the way, physical copies of albums are still outselling digital ones in the U.S., though the gap continues to narrow:

www.billboard.com/files/pdfs/Bulletin/may-8-2015-billboard-bulletin.pdf

Last chart week 4,224,000 albums were sold last week in the USA.

1,827,000 were digital albums.

2,397,000 were physical albums (cds, cassettes and vinyl).

I just thought that was interesting because we hear people say "CDs are dead!" Well, they still sell better than digital albums. With streaming increasing more and more, digital albums may never actually be the dominant method for albums.
That's quite an interesting point.

I think the ''digital public'' is way more interested on streaming music than in buying full albuns, so it makes sense digital sales are still behind physical sales. Streaming will probably be the dominat format few years from now, it fits better the way people like to consume music these days.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11571 [url]

May 13 15 11:27 AM

jrsoares wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

I think the ''digital public'' is way more interested on streaming music than in buying full albuns, so it makes sense digital sales are still behind physical sales. Streaming will probably be the dominat format few years from now, it fits better the way people like to consume music these days.

Oh, I agree it makes sense. I guess my point was more that you never really know what will happen. Remember all of that hype about CDs being irrelevant and us moving into the digital age, and yet digital album sales never overtook CD sales and streaming may now surpass digital before it was ever the top "seller." I wonder what's even possible in terms of overtaking the streaming age.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#11572 [url]

May 13 15 11:32 AM

I mean, it makes sense that physical albums sell better than digital... if I am going to spend $10-15+ I want an actual product not a digital product. And, with Amazon's "auto rip" feature that makes it even better. You get the download instantly and the CD mailed to you in a few days.

Even vinyls are making a bit of a comeback. I see them more and more in stores (then again, that's NYC) but in general labels are releasing more vinyls than in the past it seems. I may move to getting just the vinyls, myself, because they usually come with digital download codes too.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

jrsoares

#11573 [url]

May 13 15 11:42 AM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
jrsoares wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

Oh, I agree it makes sense. I guess my point was more that you never really know what will happen. Remember all of that hype about CDs being irrelevant and us moving into the digital age, and yet digital album sales never overtook CD sales and streaming may now surpass digital before it was ever the top "seller." I wonder what's even possible in terms of overtaking the streaming age.

Agreed.

For me, digital albuns/singles are popular because of smartphones and ipods, not because people like to buy digital albuns per se. Itunes became popular in part because of the facility of purchasing music directly to your iphone. It was born as an alternative to pirate sites, which were the real threat to the music biz.

Streaming, imo, is quite another story. It's a completely new format of consuming music.

Last Edited By: jrsoares May 13 15 11:47 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#11574 [url]

May 13 15 2:25 PM

Bryan Michael Cox said some nice things about Mariah in an interview with YouKnowIGotSoul and also mentioned he's working with her again (starts at 01:45).

Mariah, You're on Fire!

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11575 [url]

May 13 15 2:45 PM

TheWholeStory wrote:
Bryan Michael Cox said some nice things about Mariah in an interview with YouKnowIGotSoul and also mentioned he's working with her again (starts at 01:45).

He looks different than I remember. Anyway, that was nice. It's obviously interesting he said he's working with her again, but we also heard JD say that a few months ago and we got "Infinity" which was done with Eric Hudson. So, who knows? That R Kelly thing never saw the light of day (I'm thinking it was never finished), nor did the Maxwell thing he tweeted. I am sure a lot of things that are planned never happen for one reason or another, in addition to tracks that just don't make the final cut. They could also just be doing stuff for a commercial, for the Christmas thing, whatever.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11577 [url]

May 14 15 9:11 PM

ShayneFly wrote:

Hear Sam Hunt Cover Mariah Carey and Nineties Divas

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-sam-hunt-cover-mariah-carey-and-nineties-divas-20150319#ixzz3UtnrFjyH 

He covers Always Be My Baby, it's the last song in the medley.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-sam-hunt-cover-mariah-carey-and-nineties-divas-20150319

I love how the audience knows every word and sing along:

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11578 [url]

May 15 15 12:11 AM

I forgot Mariah was at the 2005 Rock Hall of Fame ceremony (it's where she ran into Tommy and Thalia):

With Bo Diddley

Was she there with or to support anyone in particular?

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#11579 [url]

May 15 15 10:30 AM

She looked incredible. That picture of her with Justin. #flawfree

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#11580 [url]

May 15 15 10:33 AM

I know the song is oft shaded on here, but actually listening to TGIFY, if you look past the basique production, the melody is actually really beautiful. It does sound similar to Xscape's 'One Of Those Love Songs' at parts.

I love the melody at 'my every wish and every dream some how became reality' when she goes low.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help