Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

#11301 [url]

Apr 15 15 1:17 PM

25 million streams, #1 On-demand. That's huge! The video has over 46 million views and we're on Wednesday, so most of them are from the US.

There is no doubt it's gonna be #1 next week.  

Last Edited By: mcfan Apr 15 15 1:20 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11302 [url]

Apr 15 15 1:18 PM

Let's all give thanks that our prayers were answered and One Sweet Day remains the longest running Hot 100 #1 ever.

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

#11305 [url]

Apr 15 15 1:23 PM

Re: The Random Mariah Thoughts Thread

seanjonmc wrote:
I didn't see this part, but Billboard thinks Mariah is safe next week too:

Again" tops the Hot 100 with a whopping 252 percent gain in overall points, while "Funk" deflates by 6 percent, with the former holding a hefty 1.6-to-1 points lead over the latter. Could "Funk" return to No. 1 and further make a play for Carey and Boyz II Men's record? It doesn't look likely. As for "Again," it's possible, if not expected, that it will decrease in sales on next week's charts, since this week it was powered by the song's first week following the premiere of its video. But, with the film still red-hot in theaters, sales and streams for the song at a feverish level and airplay on the rise, along with the track's significant lead in overall activity (and the continued decline of "Funk"), it would be surprising if "Again" were to regress enough for "Funk" to regain the Hot 100's No. 1 spot.

hope that is true. i feel billboard also doesnt want just a song like that to overthrow a classic song such as OSD. they would become a big joke as well.

Quote    Reply   

#11306 [url]

Apr 15 15 1:26 PM

mcfan wrote:
Yass let's all stream the "OSD" video even though BIIM are trash after that facebook post indifferent.gif

Wait, what? Fill me in.

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#11307 [url]

Apr 15 15 1:47 PM

seanjonmc wrote:
mcfan wrote:
Yass let's all stream the "OSD" video even though BIIM are trash after that facebook post indifferent.gif

Wait, what? Fill me in.

I think it was Nathan that shaded the hell out of Mimi on facebook after the lipping débâcle in Jamaica. Mess.

Quote    Reply   

#11309 [url]

Apr 15 15 2:00 PM

It's crazy how many songs get 14 weeks on top and then just drop. NOTHING can get that 15th week... it's almost like a 14 week curse at this point. All those dead people that have had OSD dedicated to them are haunting the Hot 100.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11310 [url]

Apr 15 15 2:50 PM

jrsoares wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:
jrsoares wrote:

Well, WBT almost did that, no?

Good point, but that was 10 years ago. See You Again won't have the chart life of We Belong Together.

UF is the biggest freak-out since I Gotta Feeling (also 14 weeks). Previous long term #1's like Happy and Blurred Lines didn't really bother me, you could see them falling and competition moving up. Uptown Funk is still going really strong considering how long it's been #1. 

Before IGF, the previous 14 week #1 was We Belong Together, which is wonderful, and before that it was Candle In the Wind 1997 (in 97-98). So this doesn't happen often, but when it does...smiley: laugh

I actually tend to think the new method (sales+streaming+airplay) will make this ''happening'' not so rare anymore. In the last few years we have already seen many songs having long runs at #1.

Well it both helps and hurts. The new method obviously means a start can start strong in 1 or 2 areas and then catch up in others and thus have chart longevity as "UF" did. At the same time it also means a song has 3 options to be really huge in 1 area and get to #1. We saw "Wrecking Ball" get to #1 off streams and now "SYA" off sales (its streams are huge too but it almost only needed the sales).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11311 [url]

Apr 15 15 3:21 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
mcfan wrote:
"See You Again" is still #1 on iTunes with a big lead and we're 3 days into the new week. Its airplay will continue to grow as will its streams on Spotify (where I believe it's already ahead of UF). I think it'll remain at #1.

So in 1-2 months people will freak out about it breaking the record?
Lol smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

NhWxMaN

#11312 [url]

Apr 15 15 3:28 PM

seanjonmc wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
mcfan wrote:
"See You Again" is still #1 on iTunes with a big lead and we're 3 days into the new week. Its airplay will continue to grow as will its streams on Spotify (where I believe it's already ahead of UF). I think it'll remain at #1.

16 weeks from now is August. There's no way this song will be #1 until then, summer songs have yet to be released.
I could easily be wrong, but I think SYA has the potential to be a 10+ week #1.  Graduations in May and June helped WBT to a (small) extent... I could see the same happening with SYA.  Carrie's SYA was helped by graduations too.

Quote    Reply   

MissyJG

#11313 [url]

Apr 15 15 5:02 PM

mcfan wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:
mcfan wrote:

Wait, what? Fill me in.

I think it was Nathan that shaded the hell out of Mimi on facebook after the lipping débâcle in Jamaica. Mess.

Nathan posted a long FB message about her messy performances pretending to care. What he said wasn't so terrible, and a lot of people didn't see what he wrote was wrong but the fact that he put it online criticizing her as a performer is not something you do to a "friend". The shadiest part was that he included an article saying what a mess Mariah was in Jamaica which included the videos.
Wouldn't it be crazy that after 20 years of holding the record, the song that would break the record is the song that was #1 when a B2M member shaded her? 20 years and as soon as he shaded her, the record was in trouble. I mean.. I'm just saying.

Last Edited By: MissyJG Apr 15 15 5:09 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#11314 [url]

Apr 15 15 5:20 PM

NhWxMaN wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

16 weeks from now is August. There's no way this song will be #1 until then, summer songs have yet to be released.
I could easily be wrong, but I think SYA has the potential to be a 10+ week #1.  Graduations in May and June helped WBT to a (small) extent... I could see the same happening with SYA.  Carrie's SYA was helped by graduations too.

Nah.  It'll be #1 for a minute but once the hype surrounding the movie dies off, so will sales.  It's selling way too much right out of the gate to sustain that and I just don't see it being a huge airplay hit.  I give it 3-4 weeks at number one.

Quote    Reply   

rooney1905

#11315 [url]

Apr 15 15 10:54 PM

Question about masters. Does Mariah own her masters? I'm always curious how the business side works and I thought I remember reading a long time ago she bought the masters to Rainbow. It's common practice that most artists do NOT own their right?

Quote    Reply   

#11318 [url]

Apr 16 15 5:54 AM

MCPH wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
mcfan wrote:

Lol smiley: laugh

Aaahahaha that would be ironic as hell.

I'm happy just like everyone else, but I wouldn't let it bother me (too much) when/if Mariah's major records start getting broken.  It's a whole new era, listening trends are different, you can't really compare chart performance apple-to-apples between two decades.  Even Mariah has benefitted from chart trends changing over time... I don't think it's any coincidence that you started seeing so many 13+ weeks at #1 chart runs starting in the 90s.

Quote    Reply   

NhWxMaN

#11319 [url]

Apr 16 15 8:58 AM

iltwbtsiodfau wrote:
yes, disaster averted! Mariah always wins! the record is for most consecutive and most overall, but billboard doesn't expect UF to reclaim the top spot next week, if at all

really?  is that true?

Quote    Reply   

Colson

#11320 [url]

Apr 16 15 10:11 AM

UF most likely will not return to #1. SYA is still selling well and airplay is building steadily, so are the streams. It could be a multi-month #1 single.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help