Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11281 [url]

Apr 15 15 9:38 AM

NhWxMaN wrote:
UF down to #3 / #176 on iTunes
It had fallen down to #6 at one point last week, so position-wise it might be doing better this week. It also always increases on the weekend.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#11282 [url]

Apr 15 15 9:41 AM

Fruitbits wrote:
I really liked UF...for about two weeks. I can't believe that fun and meaningless track got to be #1 for 14 weeks. It's the dearth of good music or even new releases these days. So even a mildly fun song gets to be #1 for weeks.

More often than not it's these 'fun' songs that become monster hits, but then seem to get forgotten just as quickly as they came around.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11283 [url]

Apr 15 15 10:13 AM

Let's not forget "Macarena" spent 14 weeks at #1 in 1996 and sold 4 million copies. "Ice Ice Baby" led its parent album to sell 7 million copies. "Achy Breaky Heart" was a humongous hit. "Gangam Style" is the most streamed video of all-time, no? "UF" isn't as lame as all that, but it's similar in that it's a trendy song people can dance to and sing along with. It always increases on the weekends, which I assume is because people are going out (or staying in) and dancing to it.

What I find interesting is that all of these songs - and you can throw in "Harlem Shake," LFMAO songs, and even "Blurred Lines" - are by male artists. Are there any female songs that are similar and were huge hits?

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11287 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:05 PM

Kevon wrote:
Erm, 'Call Me Maybe' off the top of my head?

Maybe, but I consider that a genuine pop song and not a kitschy thing like "Macarena." It's a really, no pun intended, blurry line.

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11288 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:20 PM

"See You Again" sold 464k downloads last week, which pretty much guarantees it will be #1 on the new Hot 100.

Here is how Mediabase airplay stands through yesterday:
1. MARK RONSON - Uptown Funk f/Bruno Mars: 205.981 (-1.091)
2. MAROON 5 - Sugar: 188.541 (-0.578)
3. ELLIE GOULDING - Love Me Like You Do: 181.293 (+0.966***)
4. TAYLOR SWIFT - Style: 169.906 (-1.243)
5. THE WEEKND - Earned It: 164.177 (+3.036)
64. WIZ KHALIFA - See You Again f/Charlie Puth: 30.416 (+3.139) ▲
65. RIHANNA - !%@++ Better Have My Money: 29.012 (+0.422) ▲

As you can see, "UF" is still way out in front. I can see Ellie or Weeknd passing it in a week or two, but "UF" is ahead of both songs in downloads. We'll see how "SYA" continues to sell.

Quote    Reply   

#11289 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:22 PM

Estimates were spot on, Billboard officially reports sales of 464,000 for See You Again. That should be like 300,000 more UF!

'Furious 7' Soundtrack Speeds to No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart

The Furious 7 album benefits from its red-hot single “See You Again,” performed by Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth. The track is a tribute to the film’s co-star Paul Walker, who died before the movie was finished. The song plays over the final scene in the movie (which bowed in theaters on April 3) and sold 464,000 downloads for the week.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6531833/furious-7-soundtrack-no-1-billboard-200-chart

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#11290 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:28 PM

"See You Again" is still #1 on iTunes with a big lead and we're 3 days into the new week. Its airplay will continue to grow as will its streams on Spotify (where I believe it's already ahead of UF). I think it'll remain at #1.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11291 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:31 PM

mcfan wrote:
"See You Again" is still #1 on iTunes with a big lead and we're 3 days into the new week. Its airplay will continue to grow as will its streams on Spotify (where I believe it's already ahead of UF). I think it'll remain at #1.

So in 1-2 months people will freak out about it breaking the record?

Quote    Reply   

#11292 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:41 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
mcfan wrote:

16 weeks from now is August. There's no way this song will be #1 until then, summer songs have yet to be released.

Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

jrsoares

#11293 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:44 PM

seanjonmc wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
mcfan wrote:

16 weeks from now is August. There's no way this song will be #1 until then, summer songs have yet to be released.

Well, WBT almost did that, no?

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#11295 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:56 PM

I don't actually expect "SYA" to be #1 for several months, though you never know. It was a sarcastic response, though the fact that it's already #1 when airplay has so much room to grow means it could be #1 for awhile. It's what happened with "Blurred Lines" and "Uptown Funk," no? Airplay tends to follow sales now, instead of the other way around.

What has shocked me most over the past year is how streams hold on for so long. Now that we can see what people listen to, it's amazing to me how people listen so much to old songs. I can't really fault radio for hanging on to songs considering people seem to listen to them for that long. I can't do that.

Quote    Reply   

#11296 [url]

Apr 15 15 12:57 PM

jrsoares wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:

Good point, but that was 10 years ago. See You Again won't have the chart life of We Belong Together.

UF is the biggest freak-out since I Gotta Feeling (also 14 weeks). Previous long term #1's like Happy and Blurred Lines didn't really bother me, you could see them falling and competition moving up. Uptown Funk is still going really strong considering how long it's been #1. 

Before IGF, the previous 14 week #1 was We Belong Together, which is wonderful, and before that it was Candle In the Wind 1997 (in 97-98). So this doesn't happen often, but when it does...smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

#11297 [url]

Apr 15 15 1:11 PM

Wiz Khalifa's 'See You Again' Knocks 'Uptown Funk' Off No. 1 on Hot 100

The track, featuring Charlie Puth, rockets 10-1, halting the 14-week reign of Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars' 'Uptown Funk.'

Wiz Khalifa completes a fast and furious vault to the top of the Billboard Hot 100, as "See You Again," featuring Charlie Puth, and from the box office smash Furious 7, zooms 10-1. The song stops the command of Mark Ronson's "Uptown Funk!," featuring Bruno Mars, after 14 weeks. The latter remains tied for the second-longest rule in the Hot 100's history.

Spurring its Hot 100 coronation, "Again" holds at No. 1 on the Digital Songs chart and roars to No. 1 on the Streaming Songs and On-Demand Songs charts.

Again," released on Atlantic Records and promoted to radio by Roadrunner Promotions, is the 1,042nd No. 1 dating to the Hot 100's Aug. 4, 1958 launch. It's Khalifa's second No. 1, following his debut hit, "Black and Yellow, which topped the Feb. 19, 2011, chart. Puth reigns in his first Hot 100 appearance.

With the track's 10-1 leap, "Again" makes the biggest jump to the summit since … well, the No. 1 before "Funk." Taylor Swift's "Black Space" bounded 13-1 on the Nov. 29, 2014 Hot 100. (The all-time record: Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You" rocketed 97-1 on Feb. 7, 2009.)

Notably, the Hot 100 greets just its second new No. 1 of 2015 on the chart dated April 25. That's the fewest No. 1s in a single year through the last week of April in 10 years. In 2005, Mario's "Let Me Love You" began a nine-week rule on the Jan. 1-dated chart and 50 Cent followed with his own nine-week domination for "Candy Shop," featuring Olivia, through the chart dated April 30.

More trivia: with, as previously reported, the Furious 7 soundtrack newly-crowned atop the Billboard 200 albums chart and a single from it No. 1 on the Hot 100, a soundtrack and a corresponding single from it top both tallies simultaneously for the first time in more than 12 years. The last such pair? The 8 Mile soundtrack and Eminem's "Lose Yourself" doubled up at No. 1 the weeks of Nov. 16 and 23, 2002 and again on Jan. 11 and 18, 2003. (While those four weeks mark the soundtrack's entire stay at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, "Lose Yourself" led the Hot 100 for 12 weeks overall.)

How did "Again" ascend to No. 1 on the Hot 100? The track spends a second week at No. 1 on Digital Songs with a 176 percent surge to 464,000 downloads sold in the week ending April 12, according to Nielsen Music. The song boasts the largest weekly sales this year and the most since "Blank Space" sold 503,000 (Nov. 15); it's the 19th-biggest week for a song since Nielsen began tracking digital sales in 2003. Flo Rida's "Right Round" holds the record for most weekly downloads sold: 636,000 (Feb. 28, 2009).

"Again" tops the Hot 100 as Furious 7 continues to dominate at the box office, having taken in more than $803 million in worldwide receipts since its April 3 opening, according to Box Office Mojo. Also largely fueling the song's rise to the Hot 100's pinnacle: its video, released Monday, April 6 (first on the Facebook page of the film's Vin Diesel), which pays tribute to Furious star Paul Walker, who died in a car crash in 2013. Powered by the arrival of the clip, "Again" blasts 26-1 on Streaming Songs with 25 million U.S. streams, a 510 percent increase. The track also debuts at No. 1 on the subscription services-based On-Demand Songs chart (7.7 million, up 1,087 percent). "Again" is the first song to enter atop On-Demand Songs in the chart's three-year history. (It additionally wins the Hot 100's top Digital and Streaming Gainer awards.)

Another way to view how big the streams are for "Again"? The song nets the most clicks since Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda" drew 32 million on the Sept. 6, 2014 Streaming Songs chart.

Also helping the coronation of "Again": its build at radio. While airplay accounts for just 3 percent of its Hot 100 activity, the cut enters Radio Songs at No. 49 with a 174 percent gain to 24 million in all-format audience. As previously reported, it debuts on the Pop Songs airplay chart at No. 31, while pushing 35-27 on Rhythmic Songs.

"Again" concurrently takes over atop Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Rap Songs charts. It also roars 10-1 on Billboard + Twitter Top Tracks.

With "Again" climbing to the top of the Hot 100, "Funk" has to settle for a tie for the second-longest stay at No. 1 (at least for now? More in a moment …), as it remains one of seven singles to control the chart for 14 weeks. The record for longest reign continues to be held by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men's "One Sweet Day": 16 weeks in 1995-96.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6531861/wiz-khalifa-see-you-again-no-1-hot-100

Quote    Reply   

jrsoares

#11298 [url]

Apr 15 15 1:13 PM

seanjonmc wrote:
jrsoares wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:

Good point, but that was 10 years ago. See You Again won't have the chart life of We Belong Together.

UF is the biggest freak-out since I Gotta Feeling (also 14 weeks). Previous long term #1's like Happy and Blurred Lines didn't really bother me, you could see them falling and competition moving up. Uptown Funk is still going really strong considering how long it's been #1. 

Before IGF, the previous 14 week #1 was We Belong Together, which is wonderful, and before that it was Candle In the Wind 1997 (in 97-98). So this doesn't happen often, but when it does...smiley: laugh

I actually tend to think the new method (sales+streaming+airplay) will make this ''happening'' not so rare anymore. In the last few years we have already seen many songs having long runs at #1.

Quote    Reply   

#11300 [url]

Apr 15 15 1:14 PM

I didn't see this part, but Billboard thinks Mariah is safe next week too:

Again" tops the Hot 100 with a whopping 252 percent gain in overall points, while "Funk" deflates by 6 percent, with the former holding a hefty 1.6-to-1 points lead over the latter. Could "Funk" return to No. 1 and further make a play for Carey and Boyz II Men's record? It doesn't look likely. As for "Again," it's possible, if not expected, that it will decrease in sales on next week's charts, since this week it was powered by the song's first week following the premiere of its video. But, with the film still red-hot in theaters, sales and streams for the song at a feverish level and airplay on the rise, along with the track's significant lead in overall activity (and the continued decline of "Funk"), it would be surprising if "Again" were to regress enough for "Funk" to regain the Hot 100's No. 1 spot.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help