mcfan

#Beautiful

#21 [url]

Aug 25 09 12:20 PM

Marten2 wrote:
mcfan wrote:
Marten2 wrote:
no. Its audience is 4.981 mil impressions whereas Obsessed is @ 63.225 image
It's not a fair comparison. 'Obsessed' has been out since June 16th, whereas 'Million Dollar Bill' went for adds last week.

Sure, the song is not doing well regardless, but that was pointless.
People here wanted to know how MDB is doing airplay-wise - the numbers I posted showed that is has a long way to go....

All you had to do was post MDB's numbers then, without bringing 'Obsessed' into this.

Remove this ad

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#22 [url]

Aug 25 09 12:20 PM

Greg wrote:
I have a feeling (or maybe i'm just hoping) that they have more tracks than the ones they put on the final tracklisting. is whitney the kind of artist that records like 40 songs, then cuts it down to 15?

There's no more tracks. I doubt she recorded any more than the 11 tracks either. If she did, I'm scared to hear them given how poor the actual album tracks are.

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#23 [url]

Aug 25 09 12:28 PM

p0ir0t wrote:
esettle0 wrote:
IrresistibleClown wrote:
p0ir0t wrote:
just saw this @ pulse
ITUNES UPDATE (New Releases)
318. Had It All - Katharine McPhee
581. Million Dollar Bill - Whitney Houston

imageimageimage
Well.. at least airplay is making up for it... image

This all (and Madonnas and Mary J's performance on the charts) just makes me really proud of O's performance.
so MDB is doing ok in airplay?

I don't think so image
08/24/09

Million Dollar Bill
audience: 4.981 (+0.147)
spins: 553 (+63)

AC: 0 (-1)
HAC: 44 (+image
POP: 285 (+44)
ALT: 1 (0)
URB: 62 (0)
UAC: 61 (+1)
RHY: 100 (+11)

thats actually not that bad for a Whitney single in 2009 that doesnt have a video or a drop of promo yet.

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#24 [url]

Aug 25 09 12:34 PM

^ A video and Whitney singing it on GMA isn't going to do anything for radio airplay. The song was added a week ago, and has only gained 2.3 million since. That's not a good sign.

#25 [url]

Aug 25 09 12:41 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
^ A video and Whitney singing it on GMA isn't going to do anything for radio airplay. The song was added a week ago, and has only gained 2.3 million since. That's not a good sign.
I Look To You at least gained 15 million in the first week image

#26 [url]

Aug 25 09 12:42 PM

I just listened to the new Whitney album. First, let me say the only Whitney album I've ever owned was MLIYL and I thought it was quite good, though the non-single tracks were considerably weaker than the album tracks. I'm also familiar with most of her past hits, and though I'm not a big fan, I do occasionally love me some Whitney. But this album is kinda... blah. I mean, it's certainly not bad. There's just nothing interesting here at all and her voice sounds like she needs to clear it at times. Still, I wish her all the best success with this album. I am kind of worried about some Whitney fans who think this will sell 300k+ the first week. Am I the only one who will be surprised if this sells more than 150k the first week?

kittykow105

#27 [url]

Aug 25 09 12:45 PM

I'm happy that Whitney fans got their new music...but it looks like this will do CB numbers unless they release "Call You Tonight" ASAP and even then can she hold on until the winter sales rush?

I wish her well tho. I'm already burned out on the cd.

#28 [url]

Aug 25 09 12:58 PM

mcfan wrote:
Marten2 wrote:
mcfan wrote:
Marten2 wrote:
no. Its audience is 4.981 mil impressions whereas Obsessed is @ 63.225 image
It's not a fair comparison. 'Obsessed' has been out since June 16th, whereas 'Million Dollar Bill' went for adds last week.

Sure, the song is not doing well regardless, but that was pointless.
People here wanted to know how MDB is doing airplay-wise - the numbers I posted showed that is has a long way to go....

All you had to do was post MDB's numbers then, without bringing 'Obsessed' into this.
If you don't know much about airplay the number "4.981" won't help you much - but I agree I could have posted the numbers of a different top 20 song. image

#29 [url]

Aug 25 09 1:32 PM

I wonder what other promo Whitney will do to promote the album. She has Oprah/GMA lined up. VMA's, Divas concert perhaps? Maybe a few late-night talk shows. I'm surprised we haven't seen any videos/magazine covers yet.

#30 [url]

Aug 25 09 1:44 PM

Million Dollar Bill is outside the itunes top 300 imageimageimage

Remove this ad

NhWxMaN

#31 [url]

Aug 25 09 1:56 PM

Slant reviewed ILTY giving it 3 of 5 stars.

Whitney Houston
I Look to You
by Sal Cinquemani
Posted: August 25, 2009

It's impossible to talk about "The Voice" without talking about crack. And Newports, which Whitney Houston was seen clutching between her index and middle fingers on almost every episode of 2005's Being Bobby Brown, and which are arguably more damaging to the human voice. Her voice breaks awkwardly when it should soar, low notes sound husky, and high notes dangle frustratingly out of reach on "I Look to You," the second of two treacly, inspirational, and purportedly autobiographical ballads that leaked onto the Internet in advance of the singer's comeback album of the same name. She painfully enunciates the lyrics, written by R. Kelly and accompanied by a typically elementary piano melody, while the David Foster-produced "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" is only slightly more tolerable-a small triumph in itself, really, considering that it was written by Diane Warren.

Whitney was still in relatively fine voice on her last studio album, 2002's Just Whitney, but despite the easy, breezy nature of the songs, there was a sinking feeling that things weren't okay, and the artist's infamous interview with Diane Sawyer around the time of the album's release confirmed those suspicions. I Look to You, on the other hand, finds Whitney struggling to hit notes and deliver phrases that should come effortlessly to such a seasoned vocalist; her vocal cords are plagued by edema, her voice reedy and lacking the crystalline clarity it once possessed on classics like "I Will Always Love You" and "I Have Nothing"-but she sounds alive, and seemingly happy to be.

The New Voice lives more contently in the midtempo numbers that allow her to sink into the grooves. Lead single "Million Dollar Bill" borrows its backing track liberally from Loleatta Holloway's "We're Getting Stronger," effectively masking hip-hop producer Swizz Beatz's involvement (the song's composer, Alicia Keys, is a decidedly more obvious presence). Replete with rubbery bassline and tinny hi-hats, it's a bona fide disco nugget that should appeal to both of Whitney's target audiences: R&B and AC radio. Just as good is "I Got You," on which the singer revisits the subtle reggae vibe that worked so well for her on "My Love Is Your Love." For the most part, I Look to You manages to sound completely contemporary without the use of guest rappers, dumbed-down lyrics, or slang.

Danja, who produced two tracks here, proves to be a surprisingly formidable collaborator for the ex Mrs. Brown. While it's nearly impossible to imagine that the oft-vitriolic singer doesn't harbor any ill will toward the likes of Wendy Williams, she deserves credit for nearly convincing us that she wishes only the best to "anyone who tried to hate on me" on "Nothin' But Love." Amid some cool, futuristic synth lines and a pulsating beat, she embraces a newly guttural tone that recalls Annie Lennox's lower register, and though she may have once had the chops to put Donny Hathaway to shame, she flips "A Song for You" on its head by turning it into an unexpected house anthem. Reminiscent of her cover of "I'm Every Woman," it's a reminder that, while she may be best known for her power ballads, Whitney's also an icon on the dance floor and has a knack for making other people's songs her own.

I Look to You ends with another R. Kelly composition, "Salute," which juxtaposes a tinkling piano riff with a military march and an apt "I'm a soldier girl" hook. It sounds like Whitney recorded the song with a gumball planted in her cheek, but oddly, that seems to add to the sense of casualness with which she tosses off bon mots like "Don't call it a comeback/No, I've been here for years." It's in these moments that Whitney-having finally kicked both the pipe and her man to the curb and setting her sights on reclaiming a throne she, in typical Nippy fashion, denies she ever lost-sounds positively triumphant.

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#32 [url]

Aug 25 09 2:10 PM

^ That sounds more like a 2 star review. He's basically saying she sounds like crap and he only liked 5 songs.

Colson

#33 [url]

Aug 25 09 2:49 PM

p0ir0t wrote:
Million Dollar Bill is outside the itunes top 300 imageimageimage

They must've just released it. When was it released?

Greg

#35 [url]

Aug 25 09 3:24 PM

that review seems..slanted. how do you knock her voice, and the material and still call it a 3/5. madonna and whitney get judged on a very different scale than mariah.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#37 [url]

Aug 25 09 5:11 PM

I think a lot of people are surprised the CD is decent, and thus it comes across as better than it is. That sort of thing is human nature. Plus, he does only criticize 2 tracks and praises like 5, so I don't see where it comes across as a 2/5 review.

http://friendsofmariahmessageboard.yuku.com/sreply/690834/New-Album-Discussion#collapseThreeReply690834

Donnie Mohler

#38 [url]

Aug 25 09 5:20 PM

I will say Whitney has a lower standard. Even with that I find the cd depressing. I find 1/3 of it decent (nothing UH-mazing) and the other 2/3 either sleep inducing or transparently generic. Any artistic credibility is notably absent, especially with the edge off her voice.

BoyMF

#39 [url]

Aug 25 09 5:35 PM

I dont care what anyone says, but I listened to some songs on youtube! And i love her new album!
This is actually the first album i like of Whitney, I never was a fan of her!

I for myself will buy the album for sure and I hope that she will get her mimi moment with this, though i doubt it!

#40 [url]

Aug 25 09 5:43 PM

I'm sad to say it's pretty awful. Million Dollar Bill is the best song on it. As much as I love the implied competition between Mariah and Whitney that some fans and the media perpetuate, this is just sad because Whitney doesn't have it, and maybe never will again. Chocolatey and crunchy is right. She still has a good voice, but I'd be putting her beneath Faith Evans and mary J Blige now based on this, and for someone who was once 'The Voice' it's just too sad.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help