Remove this ad

Nike

Posts: 12,158 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#1701 [url]

Oct 4 15 2:49 AM

After several listens, I think this album is even better than Velvet Rope.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1702 [url]

Oct 4 15 6:04 AM

Gospelartist03 wrote:
Ha y'all were like 50k Max laugh.gif ok not my 200K  

70k ceiling we said. You were 200k plus, dear. Bit of a difference, no? smiley: laugh smiley: laugh

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Oct 4 15 6:35 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1703 [url]

Oct 4 15 6:28 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:

This album is Janet as back on form as I'd realistically expect and the kind of offering a superstar of her calibre should be offering. After a long slew of mediocre albums driven by muddy, unflattering R&B beats and endless tracks about wanting to riding someones !$%#, she back with something to say, fresher production, creatively energised and a return to her better days. The most successful and superior cuts from Janets catalogue have been the pop/R&B material and this album feels much more in tune with that.

Stand outs to me -

BurnItUp!

Dammn Baby

The Great Forever

Shoulda Known Better

No Sleeep

2 B Loved

Take Me Away

Well Travelled

The difference in production on this album is amazing. Its so much richer, diverse and epic, like classic Janet, sweeping stuff that opens up her (very thin) voice rather than reduce her to a mumbling afterthought on her own song. Like MIAM was for Mariah, I think Unbreakable is going to restore faith in a lot of Janets fans after so many disappointing efforts. Its a very nice step back towards that positive, sexy (but not excessively so) and wise artist may fell in love with.

This is easily her best work since The Velvet Rope. It'll never top the flawless run of Control to TVR of course but I'm pleased. Its a maturer album, filled with uptempos that have bite, sexy jams and a sense Janet is back on track at last. I'm pleased smiley: happy  

Very well put Carlos. I'm towards the end of my first listen and I'm blown away by the quality. Extremely solid with great and diverse production work. Definitely her most interesting and intimate work since TVR. Have to listen some more but so far very pleased!

I'm glad you like. This feels like the album we've been waiting for from Janet.

I like that initially you could say its not got a lot of messages or intimacy in the album but actually, that's not true. She's sweeping across revealing topics with subtlety and a lot less fanfare this time around but there are some really revealing lyrics - the death of MJ (of course), she discusses an abusive relationship which she partly pins the blame on her, politics in Palestine, her discomfort with living in America, conceding she was very niave when she touted the Rhythm Nation message and responding to the criticisms of her marriage to a Muslim man.

She's wrapped it in a lot lighter songs so it feels a lot less heavy and casual in their reveal but its all in there. The difference is staggering. She literally had nothing to say from Damita Jo apart from sex, sex and a little more sex. 

Quote    Reply   

matty tat tat

Let me speak quietly
So your heart can hear
I will hypnotise and mesmerise u
With the sound of your own fear

#1705 [url]

Oct 4 15 9:10 AM

I'm really enjoying the album. On first listen I was blah but on the second and third I really liked it. There are a couple of songs I think would fit on a Lady Gaga album (Take Me Away and maybe We'll Traveled). I'm loving Unbreakable, Burn it up, Damnn Baby, The Great Forever, Shoulda Known Better, Broken Hearts Heal, Night, No Sleeep, 2 B Loved, and Take Me Away.

Like 'Mariah Carey Multimedia Page' on Facebook
(facebook.com/MariahCareyMultimedia)

Subscribe to the MimiMultimedia YouTube Channel
(http://www.youtube.com/user/MimiMultimedia)

Quote    Reply   

Gospelartist03

#1707 [url]

Oct 4 15 12:25 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
Gospelartist03 wrote:
Ha y'all were like 50k Max laugh.gif ok not my 200K  

70k ceiling we said. You were 200k plus, dear. Bit of a difference, no? smiley: laugh smiley: laugh

whats a 100k among friends smiley: roll    

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1708 [url]

Oct 4 15 1:31 PM

Nike wrote:
After several listens, I think this album is even better than Velvet Rope.

I couldn't go that far. TVR is a masterpiece with pretty much every track being essential and telling a deep, sometimes disturbing story from start to finish. And perfectly managed to mix creative and commercial. Unbreakable has about five or so tracks I'd say are okay but stuff I'd pass on and is a lighter listen.  

Quote    Reply   

#1710 [url]

Oct 4 15 2:46 PM

I LOVE Damn Baby! I love the full album really.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1711 [url]

Oct 4 15 3:03 PM

mcfan wrote:
Do y'all like "Damn Baby"? I kinda don't care for it.

I like it but its not in my total faves/Top 3, no. It works well in the sequencing. I like how it and several of the opening songs are a steady series of solid umtempos and euphoric tracks. Makes for a great BAM! opening to the album.  

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#1712 [url]

Oct 4 15 3:14 PM

I don't care for any of the upbeat tracks, except "BURNITUP!" My favorites are all from the 2nd half of the album for the most part.

"Dream Maker/Euphoria" is one of her best songs from the past 15 years easily.  

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1714 [url]

Oct 4 15 4:03 PM

mcfan wrote:

I don't care for any of the upbeat tracks, except "BURNITUP!" My favorites are all from the 2nd half of the album for the most part.

The upbeat tracks on this album are pure Janet classics, if some of them were released 20 years ago they could quite easily sit alongside anthems like Love Will Never Do Without You, Black Cat or Escapade. I'm well over plodding Janet grooves. I'm glad she's shaken it up and given us some more epic track worthy of her superstar status.

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Oct 4 15 4:13 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#1715 [url]

Oct 4 15 4:10 PM

I didn't realize what "Dammn Baby" was about until just now I couldn't understand her damn Jacksonese and didn't read the booklet for it. I figured she was just being thotty but its actually quite clever

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#1716 [url]

Oct 4 15 5:49 PM

Martin E wrote:
Are you disappointed in the album as a whole Mario?

A bit. I was thrown off by the direction she had displayed with "No Sleeep" and the title track actually. I found this album to be more Pop than I expected.

But I have to say that I like 8 tracks, which is more than I can say for 20 Y.O. or Discipline, so it's a nice change.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#1717 [url]

Oct 4 15 6:08 PM

So many great tracks

My favorite track right now is Unbreakable; sweet, funky, classic Janet.

The Great Forever- how amazing is that bridge/breakdown?

Shoulda Known Better- love how it suddenly 'takes off' with the chorus. Another 'classic'

After You Fall- stunning

Night- love a good house track, reminds me of how I was pleasantly surprised by Meteorite off of MIAM

Dream Maker- this is like a Twenty Fourplay pt II. Such a pretty chorus.

Take Me Away- how is this not serviced to Top 40+Rhy already?!

Lessons Learned- could totally have been off of TVR, so haunting and gorgeous!

Seriously the only song I dislike is 2 B Loved because that cheap tinny production reminds me of 20 YO *shudders*

Last Edited By: BeyondIdolization Oct 4 15 6:16 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1718 [url]

Oct 4 15 6:27 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
So many great tracks

The Great Forever- how amazing is that bridge/breakdown?

Shoulda Known Better- love how it suddenly 'takes off' with the chorus. Another 'classic'

A good list and these three in particular favourites for me. Shoulda Known Better is indeed, a classic, and could easily have come out years ago and sat comfortably with those euphoric, sexy uptempo anthems she did. Same for Take Me Away. So much character sophistication and INSTANT charm in them and so many songs on this album which is what Janet Jackson should be - disposable R&B jams can be done by lessers. She didn't get to where she is by producing tracks that didn't grab you by the throat. 

I agree that it would be good single choice along with Shoulda Known Better (although you need to need lose those numerous pauses, it'll annoy the %$*+ out of people at radio).

Quote    Reply   

NhWxMaN

#1719 [url]

Oct 4 15 7:05 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:

Lessons Learned- could totally have been off of TVR, so haunting and gorgeous!

TMA reminds me so much of Runaway and STCML.  Lessons Learned is incredible.  One of her best ballads ever.  And yeah, it sounds like it was taken from TVR.  

Quote    Reply   

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#1720 [url]

Oct 4 15 9:20 PM

This new one reminds me of TEOM in that it's Janet coming back after a low time with a sound that both captures what many people love about her, but that also manages to sound new/fresh. Janet also sounds invested in the material, much like Mariah did with TEOM. Like with most Janet albums, it's a bit overstuffed, but my guess is we'd all disagree on which tracks could be cut. Having said that, my favorites so far are Dammn Baby, Shoulda Known Better, After You Fall, Night, and Gon B Alright. And why has no one mentioned the country elements of Lesson Learned and Well Traveled? She's using true country instruments in a time when supposed country artists are not (not saying the songs are country, but there are elements).

And, yeah, Janet has always leaned a bit pop. Her 80s output was basically all pop. She did get more R&B in the 90s, but she still had pop and rock songs on those albums.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help