Remove this ad

mcfan

#Beautiful

#1661 [url]

Oct 2 15 9:17 AM

This is cute but the album is a bit disappointing.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1664 [url]

Oct 2 15 10:26 AM

I think everyone expected a R&B album with the songs she released. Like I said, I was really confused on the first listen but I do think it requires a few listens to actually assimilate its content. What I love the most about this record is that she really has done something unexpected. I love All for You, Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. but she just was being predictable with her choices and less and less inspired (she didn't write anything on Discipline and her involvement was very little). Now she's back to something where she has things to tell, Unbreakable shows Janet and Jimmy/Terry's versatility in music. The production is so lit, she's delivered her best vocals in years, I couldn't be more happy. The only songs I can't get into are 'Take Me Away' which is way too pop for my tastes, 'Shoulda Known Better' (but love the lyrics) and 'Well Traveled'. Everything else is a slay. I sure do miss me some baby making songs but she seems to be over it. Glad we had at least 'No Sleeep'! I hope the album will grow on you.

Quote    Reply   

NhWxMaN

#1666 [url]

Oct 2 15 11:22 AM

AMG reviewed Unbreakable and gave it 3.5 stars.... on par with 20 YO and Discipline

All four of Janet Jackson's albums released during the 2000s debuted near or at the top of the Billboard 200, as ensured by a legion of devotees. They lacked the staying power of the Control-to-Velvet Rope run, however, and quickly slipped out of view. Jackson left two labels during the decade and dealt with personal matters that included the death of brother Michael. Seven years after Discipline, Jackson returns recharged, and on a BMG-supported label she established, with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis -- the demigods central to her best work -- as well as a small crew of additional associates, as her collaborators. The three singles that immediately preceded Unbreakable were clearly chosen for their range. "No Sleeep," unfortunately present here in its longer form that involves a J. Cole verse, is a first-rate rippling slow jam, ideal for her re-emergence. Second was the title cut, the album's lead track, where Jackson expresses thankfulness over a relaxed and wistful groove, her lead and background vocals in the chorus arranged to stellar effect. And then, to increase the intensity and anticipation even more, there was "Burnitup!," a simultaneously hard and light dance track with Missy Elliott hyping the crowd. Those three songs only hinted at the number of angles worked on Unbreakable. While the album is unrelentingly positive and clean-cut -- a relief for listeners who winced at the lurid content laced through Discipline and certain earlier points in the discography -- it's a little erratic in style and quality. The probing synthesizers, booming bass, and relatively detached vocal in "Dammn Baby" come across as conscious concessions to commercial radio, and a couple cuts are structured like contemporary dance-pop singles disconnected from soul. A greater amount of the productions are better suited to Jackson. She covers romantic contentment and inner strength most frequently, highlighted by the grooving "Broken Hearts Heal" and "Black Butterfly" descendant "Black Eagle," and veers into societal turmoil, as timely now as Rhythm Nation 1814 was in 1989. There are dashes of classic Philly soul and Minneapolis funk, and it ends with a more explicit link to the past -- a whirlwind funk blast liable to prompt Jackson 5 and Sly & the Family Stone flashbacks, all the way down to Tommy McClendon's Larry Graham-style low-end interjections. No one but Jackson can directly reference previous triumphs, address her audience, and yet move forward quite like this.

Quote    Reply   

Nike

Posts: 12,158 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#1667 [url]

Oct 2 15 11:43 AM

Kanye wrote:
I think everyone expected a R&B album with the songs she released. Like I said, I was really confused on the first listen but I do think it requires a few listens to actually assimilate its content. What I love the most about this record is that she really has done something unexpected. I love All for You, Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. but she just was being predictable with her choices and less and less inspired (she didn't write anything on Discipline and her involvement was very little). Now she's back to something where she has things to tell, Unbreakable shows Janet and Jimmy/Terry's versatility in music. The production is so lit, she's delivered her best vocals in years, I couldn't be more happy. The only songs I can't get into are 'Take Me Away' which is way too pop for my tastes, 'Shoulda Known Better' (but love the lyrics) and 'Well Traveled'. Everything else is a slay. I sure do miss me some baby making songs but she seems to be over it. Glad we had at least 'No Sleeep'! I hope the album will grow on you. smile.gif
Yes "Take Me Away" is probably the most "pop" song on the album, it kind of reminds me of "Together Again" with added Tropical House mood which is so popular today. I actually think this song can be a next hit of Janet. I love this album so much, definitely her best since Velvet Rope. 

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#1668 [url]

Oct 2 15 12:46 PM

My favs:

Unbreakable
The Great Forever (the random "Runaway" nod midway is nice)
Dream Maker/Euphoria (giving me an updated Diana Ross)
2 B Loved
Promise (I wish this was a full song. The Latin sound is interesting)
No Sleeep
Lessons Learned (this is a clear nod to "Lonely" from Rhythm Nation)

"Take Me Away" sounds a lot like "Slolove" from the Damita Jo album. It's cute.
"Well Traveled" reminded me of Lady Gaga's "You & I"

Quote    Reply   

#1670 [url]

Oct 2 15 2:44 PM

mcfan wrote:

It's a full song in the Target edition, "Promise of You"!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1671 [url]

Oct 2 15 3:16 PM

This album is Janet as back on form as I'd realistically expect and the kind of offering a superstar of her calibre should be offering. After a long slew of mediocre albums driven by muddy, unflattering R&B beats and endless tracks about wanting to riding someones !$%#, she back with something to say, fresher production, creatively energised and a return to her better days. The most successful and superior cuts from Janets catalogue have been the pop/R&B material and this album feels much more in tune with that.

Stand outs to me -

BurnItUp!

Dammn Baby

The Great Forever

Shoulda Known Better

No Sleeep

2 B Loved

Take Me Away

Well Travelled

The difference in production on this album is amazing. Its so much richer, diverse and epic, like classic Janet, sweeping stuff that opens up her (very thin) voice rather than reduce her to a mumbling afterthought on her own song. Like MIAM was for Mariah, I think Unbreakable is going to restore faith in a lot of Janets fans after so many disappointing efforts. Its a very nice step back towards that positive, sexy (but not excessively so) and wise artist may fell in love with.

This is easily her best work since The Velvet Rope. It'll never top the flawless run of Control to TVR of course but I'm pleased. Its a maturer album, filled with uptempos that have bite, sexy jams and a sense Janet is back on track at last. I'm pleased smiley: happy  

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Oct 2 15 3:24 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1672 [url]

Oct 2 15 3:21 PM

Kanye wrote:

What I love the most about this record is that she really has done something unexpected. I love All for You, Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. but she just was being predictable with her choices and less and less inspired (she didn't write anything on Discipline and her involvement was very little). Now she's back to something where she has things to tell, Unbreakable shows Janet and Jimmy/Terry's versatility in music. The production is so lit, she's delivered her best vocals in years, I couldn't be more happy. 

I sure do miss me some baby making songs but she seems to be over it.

Well said and I agree. She was at a total brick wall with her 2000's sound and I'm glad she's come back with something fresher. This feels like a proper Janet album to me and it captures that kind of sweeping production that puts Janet at her best. There is a revived energy and inspiration in Unbreakable that has been seriously lacking from her previous releases.

Last Edited By: carlos b fly Oct 2 15 3:44 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#1673 [url]

Oct 2 15 3:22 PM

Kanye wrote:
mcfan wrote:

It's a full song in the Target edition, "Promise of You"!
Yass

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#1674 [url]

Oct 2 15 3:23 PM

I'm floored.

I'll reserve my full thoughts after more listens and my review for my site

Mario, IDK why you expected a completely R&B album from Janet... she's never been one to have a one-genre album. Except the subpar 20 YO and Discipline. lol. (can we forget those happened?)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1675 [url]

Oct 2 15 3:28 PM

Vincent wrote:
I'm floored.

I'll reserve my full thoughts after more listens and my review for my site happy.gif

Mario, IDK why you expected a completely R&B album from Janet... she's never been one to have a one-genre album. Except the subpar 20 YO and Discipline. lol. (can we forget those happened?)

I'm glad you're enjoying being such a fan. I went in very, very cautious after being burned with her but this really surprised me. Its a really nice return to form.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#1677 [url]

Oct 2 15 6:05 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
Vincent wrote:I'm floored.

I'll reserve my full thoughts after more listens and my review for my site image

I'm glad you're enjoying being such a fan. I went in very, very cautious after being burned with her but this really surprised me. Its a really nice return to form.

I went in cautiously, too, although, I had a lot of faith in her. I knew she was capable and she wouldn't disappear so long and come back with anything subpar. Discipline and 20YO aren't bad; but they're not good Janet Jackson albums. They're just not very her, aside from a few songs (and the interludes), just two misguided efforts to have a commercial hit. Still, if we could just delete them from memory I wouldn't mind

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1678 [url]

Oct 2 15 6:31 PM

Vincent wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
Vincent wrote:I'm floored.

I'll reserve my full thoughts after more listens and my review for my site image

Discipline and 20YO aren't bad; but they're not good Janet Jackson albums. They're just not very her, aside from a few songs (and the interludes), just two misguided efforts to have a commercial hit.

With those last few albums, it felt like she was disappearing into an embarrassing parody of herself.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#1679 [url]

Oct 2 15 6:31 PM

Vincent wrote:

That's true, but her albums have always been more R&B leaning imo. The only time she leaned more Pop was All For You.

I was thrown off by "No Sleeep" and "Unbreakable" I guess.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#1680 [url]

Oct 2 15 6:51 PM

mcfan wrote:
Vincent wrote:

That's true, but her albums have always been more R&B leaning imo. The only time she leaned more Pop was All For You.

I was thrown off by "No Sleeep" and "Unbreakable" I guess.

She's had R&B leanings but the majority of her output (and bulk of her chart success and hits) is in no way straight up R&B. If, Escapade, Love Will Never Do Without You, Together Again, Rhythm Nation, Run Away, Black Cat, Opps Now (and these are just her a few of her big hits off the top of my head) would no way be described as R&B songs.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help