Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jun 15 09 11:00 PM

My roomate is a huge Christina fan. I don't hate Christina, I like much of her work, but I can't stand her attitude. I think she has a great voice, but she doesn't use it well. She seems to think Belting is her strong point, and that she needs to belt everything out to show how strong her voice is. Her belting when restrained can sound decent, but most of the time she sounds too abrasive and rough for my liking.

Remove this ad

Gospelartist03

#42 [url]

Jun 16 09 3:28 AM

Christina Tried to do in one decade what artists like Aretha used to do over 30 + years. You have to first establish yourself and musical identity before you re-invent yourself. Christina ditched her big pop following for stripped and then ditched the strong following from that album for 40's music that wasn't really cohesive at all, and now she is going another direction.

THe other problem with Christina's carer is, her voice is not at the level where she can sing Anything. It was different when Aretha or Barbra did different genres because you were amazed how they would interpret that genre and it was a musical experience, but lets face it Christina has a nice pop voice with what used to be a really good range, that doesn't mean she can sing the phone book.

Oh and not to mention her little venture into Spanish music and Christmas album before doing a sophomore album was a huge mistake and loss of momentum while britney and others were raking in with albums and tours.

Kevon

Administrator

#43 [url]

Jun 16 09 3:30 AM

^I agree - Mariah is guilty of not changing her style enough, but she's still evolved within her genre which is her passion. With Christina (and Madonna) it's almost like they wake up and think "ok, time to do a new album. What will I do today? Oh I kinda like that song that's a bit electro, I'll do that and call that "the real me""

The legendary Wing returns. The new CD 'Memwahs of an Impefect Angew'. In stores now!
Includes the 'Angews Cwy', 'Wibbon', 'It's A Wap' and the #1 single 'Candy Wing'.

#44 [url]

Jun 16 09 4:10 AM

kevo2002 wrote:
^I agree - Mariah is guilty of not changing her style enough, but she's still evolved within her genre which is her passion. With Christina (and Madonna) it's almost like they wake up and think "ok, time to do a new album. What will I do today? Oh I kinda like that song that's a bit electro, I'll do that and call that "the real me""

That's because Mariah has roots, a musical home, a foundation as an artist, an identity. She experiments with pop, gospel, hip-hop and soul - but it's always with an affinity to her R&B roots. Her musical evolution is organic and natural.

Christina doesn't have roots. She'll go where the wind takes care. She'll tease with that genre and with that genre without fully understanding or truly exploring them. Just like with her keep-changing image - it's a flirt, a one night stand, nothing more.
Some will find it versatile. I find it tiring and unnatural. Moreover it's a proof for me that she isn't a true artist, cause true artists have their own signature, individual sound, you know where they are coming from and that's the basis for your love and connection with them.

Mariah, You're on Fire!

dru27

#45 [url]

Jun 16 09 4:16 AM

after this whole electro hot mess i can't wait for her to do country music. I wonder how irritating her yodels would sound like. Or who knows she might sing japanese in the future.

Mariah, You on Fiyaah!

#46 [url]

Jun 16 09 4:28 AM

dru27 wrote:
after this whole electro hot mess i can't wait for her to do country music. I wonder how irritating her yodels would sound like. Or who knows she might sing japanese in the future.

imageimage

#47 [url]

Jun 17 09 3:35 PM

Gospelartist03 wrote:

Oh and not to mention her little venture into Spanish music and Christmas album before doing a sophomore album was a huge mistake and loss of momentum while britney and others were raking in with albums and tours.
I think Xtina is so much smarter than Britney. I like both, but Xtina made sure to show everybody she can take her carreer in any direction, while Britney only took it to one level. That's fine with me, but I admire Xtina more.

Also, I don't think someone has to stick to one style for years. Xtina (and Madonna) are true to theirselves. If I look at my cd's there are soooo many different kinds of music I like: gospel, country, retro, soul, r 'n' b, pop, etc. If I were a singer I would follow my heart and make different kinds of music. Lots of singers stick to one thing because they are succesful with it, not because they don't like other styles...

I love it when a singer shows his/her creative site and does what he/she loves to do at that moment in time. Making music with lots of stars is more about "what is a hit, what sells, what does the public want to hear" than "this is what I love right now".

Gospelartist03

#48 [url]

Jun 17 09 11:15 PM

allthewayray wrote:
Gospelartist03 wrote:

I think Xtina is so much smarter than Britney. I like both, but Xtina made sure to show everybody she can take her carreer in any direction, while Britney only took it to one level. That's fine with me, but I admire Xtina more.

Also, I don't think someone has to stick to one style for years. Xtina (and Madonna) are true to theirselves. If I look at my cd's there are soooo many different kinds of music I like: gospel, country, retro, soul, r 'n' b, pop, etc. If I were a singer I would follow my heart and make different kinds of music. Lots of singers stick to one thing because they are succesful with it, not because they don't like other styles...

I love it when a singer shows his/her creative site and does what he/she loves to do at that moment in time. Making music with lots of stars is more about "what is a hit, what sells, what does the public want to hear" than "this is what I love right now".

I would agree with you expect, My main point is, for one to experment with different styles, they have to be able to Pull it off, and Christna's voice is not at the level that she can pull of all the genre's she is trying. People love all different kinds of genres, I like opera, jazz, Popl, R&B, rock... but I don't want to hear just one artist attempting all those, I actually want to hear experts in each field. That's why artist should perfect their craft before they go everywhere the wind blows.

on and your comment about britney, TBH I don't get her appeal, but if we go by her last album she is incredbily more relevant than Christina even after her crazy spill for like 2 years, for having not that great of a voice she gets more play on radio and will have more of a musical impact when its all said and done than chrstina, and sadly christina was at the same level with a potential for much more when they both started.

dru27

#49 [url]

Jun 18 09 4:18 AM

Apparently, Ladytron has an album titled "Light & Magic". :
I'm excited for this project. Shoot me now!!

carlos b fly

Administrator

#50 [url]

Jun 18 09 4:53 AM

allthewayray wrote:
Gospelartist03 wrote:

I'd classify Christina as 'smart' only if you consider her last two albums selling very little at all as something of intellectual merit. In that case, she's a bonafide genuis.The far less intelligent Britney is still managing consistent album sales and single hits, not to mention packing out venues worldwide with her current tour. Britney may be slightly mental but at least she dosent try and make herself something she isnt.

Christina's new personalities/genre's have done nothing but divide her fanbase with such erratic styles.

Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jun 18 09 9:56 AM

Love and hate Christina, i love she tryin to change her music genre in every album, but i quite hate it becoz it shows she don't have personalities....also sometimes she overdo some songs.....wish a good luck for her new album.

#52 [url]

Jun 18 09 11:31 AM

you guys remind me of Whitney fans...

the way whitney fans hate Mariah Mariah fans hate Christina-- its pathetic.

mariahfan150

You're going to miss my love in the middle of the night...

#56 [url]

Jun 18 09 5:42 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
allthewayray wrote:
Gospelartist03 wrote:

I'd classify Christina as 'smart' only if you consider her last two albums selling very little at all as something of intellectual merit. In that case, she's a bonafide genuis.The far less intelligent Britney is still managing consistent album sales and single hits, not to mention packing out venues worldwide with her current tour. Britney may be slightly mental but at least she dosent try and make herself something she isnt.

Christina's new personalities/genre's have done nothing but divide her fanbase with such erratic styles.
Exactly. Madonna is smart/business savvy. Christina is not. I disagree about Madonna claiming her change of music 'the real her' every time.

With 'Bedtime Stories', Madonna said, "I wanted a lot more of a R&B feel to this record. "The idea going in was to juxtapose my singing style with a hardcore hip-hop sensibility and have the finished product still sound like a Madonna record. I began the process by meeting with the hip-hop producers whose work I most admired. It was important, if I were to use a variety of collaborators, that the end product sound cohesive and thematically whole. I wasn't interested in the variety pack approach." According to Danja, Madonna wanted 'Hard Candy' to still be dance/pop, but with some R&B influences.

seattlesfinest's Profile Page

rainbow1199

#57 [url]

Jun 18 09 7:06 PM

mariahfan150 wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
allthewayray wrote:
Gospelartist03 wrote:

Exactly. Madonna is smart/business savvy. Christina is not. I disagree about Madonna claiming her change of music 'the real her' every time.

With 'Bedtime Stories', Madonna said, "I wanted a lot more of a R&B feel to this record. "The idea going in was to juxtapose my singing style with a hardcore hip-hop sensibility and have the finished product still sound like a Madonna record. I began the process by meeting with the hip-hop producers whose work I most admired. It was important, if I were to use a variety of collaborators, that the end product sound cohesive and thematically whole. I wasn't interested in the variety pack approach." According to Danja, Madonna wanted 'Hard Candy' to still be dance/pop, but with some R&B influences.

I do enjoy that Madonna doesn't try to spew the "this is who I really am" bullsh!t that Christina does every album. She more or less admits it's just an image change, rather than start up with the whole "Oh, well, when I was a kid this was the music I really liked" or whatever the excuse is. She also generally doesn't try to make the music what it isn't (i.e. when Christina tried to pass off 'Back to Basics' as legit 30's jazz).

carlos b fly

Administrator

#58 [url]

Jun 19 09 4:17 AM

rainbow1199 wrote:
mariahfan150 wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
allthewayray wrote:
Gospelartist03 wrote:

I do enjoy that Madonna doesn't try to spew the "this is who I really am" bullsh!t that Christina does every album. She more or less admits it's just an image change, rather than start up with the whole "Oh, well, when I was a kid this was the music I really liked" or whatever the excuse is. She also generally doesn't try to make the music what it isn't (i.e. when Christina tried to pass off 'Back to Basics' as legit 30's jazz).

Thats why I dont mind Madonna going disco or urban, New Age or whatever. Everytime she has done so it comes across as remarkably natural. She dosent take on a new personality. Its just something she's playing with. With Christina, you get her literally trying to rewrite herself personality and all. The Stripped era, where she suddenly had that fake ghetto accent and was "yo, yo" in every interview was beyond cringe.

One album later, she's suddenly playing with the genre she's 'always loved' and talking about all the women of that genre she's always loved. If she could just do a Madonna and say - "I want to bring some more urban sounds into my work" rather than suddenly reveal her sudden hoodrat past I would take her more seriously and less the fake, pretenious performer she is.

#59 [url]

Jun 19 09 5:09 AM

^I hated Christina's personality during Stripped!!! She totally had a fake ghetto accent. And her black hair and chola eyebrows were not the business.

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

carlos b fly

Administrator

#60 [url]

Jun 19 09 6:29 AM

Oh God yeah, every time she spoke I wanted to step inside the TV and give her a slap, shake her by those awful dreads and demand why she speaking so stupidly. It was so pretensious.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help