Remove this ad

alissaveronicaho

Eternally Ardent "M" Lamb

Lead

Nov 24 08 1:15 AM

Tags : :

the old one got a bit long(97 pages is easy to get lost in, and it's way past the lead singles leak stage) so I started one here.

upon listening to each disc, I found that this double album is better conceptually than Xtina's B2B. the ballads disc with If I Were a Boy contained classic material that could have been Beyonce on the 1990's. none of that disc was 00's sounding. the upbeat disc with single ladies as the first track was very Get me bodied and the more raunchy/wild/modern side of Beyonce, and I understand why there's this "Sasha Fierce" analogy.

That said, I think that the material needs to grow on me. I only like the 2 lead singles so far-no other song stands out to me yet, but maybe it'll change like it did on B'day. .

imageimage

Last Edited By: alissaveronicaho Nov 27 08 4:01 AM. Edited 1 time

Remove this ad
Remove this ad

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#3 [url]

Nov 24 08 11:57 AM

I finally listened to Jon's "Smack Into You." The lyrics seem identical to "Smash Into You" except for the "smash." Did Beyonce really take a writing credit, or was that misinformation?

http://friendsofmariahmessageboard.yuku.com/sreply/690834/New-Album-Discussion#collapseThreeReply690834

#4 [url]

Nov 24 08 12:05 PM

I bought the deluxe version today:)
I still hadn't heard "Scared of lonely" "Ego" & "That's why you're beautiful" , and I think it's a good album so I bought it.

mcfan

#Beautiful

#5 [url]

Nov 24 08 12:19 PM

Ego is nice! I downloaded it a few days ago but still hadn't paid enough attention to it until today. I like the album, but won't get it soon because I need money!

esettle0

Posts: 21,140 Reflections of your love have come to wither

#6 [url]

Nov 24 08 1:27 PM

jasp17 wrote:
This album won't have longevity.

why is that? maybe internationally, but I think it will do well in the US. Single Ladies is far from peaking. I think a lot of people were thinking IIWAB was gonna be the big hit single, but Single Ladies will be the monster hit. It will will help the album sell over a million (not including debut weeks sales) over the Holiday season.

esettle0

#7 [url]

Nov 24 08 1:32 PM

After using last weeks sales and airplay, I calculated Beyonce needs to sell atleast 265-275 downloads of SL (or IWWAB) to get to #1 on the Hot 100. That will be tough, but Britney, Rihanna & Mariah all did it (and I think Madonna too?). And that's assuming T.I.'s sales dont go up this week, or His airplay doesnt increase any more than 10 million impressions.

carlos b fly

Administrator

#8 [url]

Nov 24 08 2:04 PM

esettle0 wrote:
jasp17 wrote:

why is that? maybe internationally, but I think it will do well in the US. Single Ladies is far from peaking. I think a lot of people were thinking IIWAB was gonna be the big hit single, but Single Ladies will be the monster hit. It will will help the album sell over a million (not including debut weeks sales) over the Holiday season.

I remember thinking B'Day wasnt going to amount to much since it looked shaky at the start and look how that turned out. If this new album flags, Sony will do whatever it takes to amp it up just like B'Day. She's a premier artist for the label, they'll push and push her until this works I reckon.

MisplacedValidity

Administrator

#9 [url]

Nov 24 08 2:12 PM

I've been asuming "SL" will be #1, and I think it would be a disappointment if it isn't considering her promotion and the repressed downloads.

I see no reason the CD itself can't sell as well as B'Day. The debut total looks a bit disappointing considering she has 2 top 3 songs, but "Halo" and "Diva" should do well. With those four hits, to not sell as much as B'Day when it only had 1 song as big/bigger than her two lead singles for this would be tragic.

http://friendsofmariahmessageboard.yuku.com/sreply/690834/New-Album-Discussion#collapseThreeReply690834

#10 [url]

Nov 24 08 4:20 PM

esettle0 wrote:
jasp17 wrote:

Yeah I shoudln't have actually posted that because it actually was a random thought of mine.
I just don't see this album selling for weeks on and on, even though I love the album, I don't see any song on the album giving it a long run.

Remove this ad

#13 [url]

Nov 24 08 5:15 PM

Are people just talking about the dance in general or the outro thing as well? I've honestly never seen people %++*$ about another artist like they do about Beyonce. The song was choreographed, it follows the video, I mean whats the problem with it? Janet's done the same exact choreography for years now. I wouldn't want her to change up the choreography to "If" or "Rhythm Nation." I just can't believe I've seen 2 places now complaining about it. I've never really seen any entertainer ever change up their choreography when promoting a single. There's just no time for them to run and learn new choreography.

rainbow1199

#14 [url]

Nov 24 08 5:21 PM

MisplacedValidity wrote:
I've been asuming "SL" will be #1, and I think it would be a disappointment if it isn't considering her promotion and the repressed downloads.

I see no reason the CD itself can't sell as well as B'Day. The debut total looks a bit disappointing considering she has 2 top 3 songs, but "Halo" and "Diva" should do well. With those four hits, to not sell as much as B'Day when it only had 1 song as big/bigger than her two lead singles for this would be tragic.

I agree. Sales would have to be truly pathetic for her not to at least match 'B'Day' which came out 2 years ago but only had as you said one real hit.

#15 [url]

Nov 24 08 5:59 PM

halo is the only song I like and it would be a million times better if Leona was singing it. I like SL only when I'm watching the video. Otherwise I can't really put up with more than a minute of it. I kind of like sweet dreams but there's nothing on the album other than halo that screams hit. Diva can't possibly do well at pop and it's just such a weird song, all the ballads except halo are boring as hell (dissappear and satellites are just so incredibly lifeless) even though her vocals are much more controlled than usual. Video phone, radio, scared of lonely aren't bad album tracks but as singles there's no way they'd work and the rest (hello and ego) are really weak. I wonder how they are going to promote this album. The ballads are just so pop that there's pretty much no chance they will get any urban play and I doubt any of those songs will do much better at rhythmic. Unless the label intents to release two songs every time just to cater to all her main formats I can't see how this is going to work. Video phone and diva sound identical to me and I don't think either will do good. Sweet dreams sounds like the only song that can easily crossover to pop but it's not really a killer single. Halo will most likely be the biggest single from the album. I still think her debut is her best album.

mariahfan150

You're going to miss my love in the middle of the night...

#17 [url]

Nov 25 08 2:32 AM

dwhite725 wrote:
Are people just talking about the dance in general or the outro thing as well? I've honestly never seen people %++*$ about another artist like they do about Beyonce. The song was choreographed, it follows the video, I mean whats the problem with it? Janet's done the same exact choreography for years now. I wouldn't want her to change up the choreography to "If" or "Rhythm Nation."
Exactly. Janet never changed up her choreography, yet no one says a thing. image

seattlesfinest's Profile Page

Gospelartist03

#18 [url]

Nov 25 08 4:18 AM

why does everyone keep saying bday only had one hit? Déjàvu was big when it first came out sure it didn't last long but she had good performances of the song on bet... Then she came strong with ring the alarm, that video was everywhere, and her mtv performance. And upgrade u was a mild hit as well and of course irreplaceable.

My point is not to say dejavu and Rta were huge hits but they were succesful singels performed everwhere to promote the album, and that contributed to bday sales along with irreplaceable.

#19 [url]

Nov 25 08 6:04 AM

mariahfan150 wrote:
dwhite725 wrote:
Are people just talking about the dance in general or the outro thing as well? I've honestly never seen people %++*$ about another artist like they do about Beyonce. The song was choreographed, it follows the video, I mean whats the problem with it? Janet's done the same exact choreography for years now. I wouldn't want her to change up the choreography to "If" or "Rhythm Nation."
Exactly. Janet never changed up her choreography, yet no one says a thing. image

That's a reflection of the dancing. Janet's choreography was brilliant back in the day, especially "If" and "Rhythm Nation".

Beyonce's routine for "Single Ladies" is just a lot of quick gyrating, hand movements and hip-shakes. That's why people are saying they're tired of it. It's pretty uninteresting and never caught my attention to begin with.

esettle0

#20 [url]

Nov 25 08 12:56 PM

Gospelartist03 wrote:
why does everyone keep saying bday only had one hit? Déjàvu was big when it first came out sure it didn't last long but she had good performances of the song on bet... Then she came strong with ring the alarm, that video was everywhere, and her mtv performance. And upgrade u was a mild hit as well and of course irreplaceable.

My point is not to say dejavu and Rta were huge hits but they were succesful singels performed everwhere to promote the album, and that contributed to bday sales along with irreplaceable.

Nearly all the singles were Urban/R&B hits. It's just that very few crossed-over. Beautiful Liar had a nice debut in sales, and peak position on the Hot 100, but I think people remember Get Me Bodied and Upgrade U more.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help